Magic Friendly Materials

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Re: Magic Friendly Materials

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

Keeping in mind the possibility that it's simply an advanced TW process used by the UWW to allow spellcasting through the armor with less detrimental effects, I'd guess that maybe the armor incorporates a very small quantity of gantrium into its construction. The metal is known in the Three Galaxies for it's excellent magically conductive properties and I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in one of the 3G books that there is a gantrium rush in the Anvil Galaxy, the main stomping grounds of the UWW.

The Rings of Elder, introduced in SoT1, are also made of gantrium, IIRC. Those half PPE cost of spells and double their range/duration.
Hot Rod
Wanderer

Unread post by Hot Rod »

See Book of Magic FAQ (P21). Any PA made of non-metallic materials (such as Ceramic and Plastic are specifically mentioned) does not hamper spell casting, the same rules apply to basic body armor as well.
<- Banned from Explorers Unlimited for Objecting to EU GM Abuse. Be warned, GMs play favorites, and ignore rule books if it suits them. They also are not afraid to apply the rules to one person in the party but not another. This is FACT, If you need proof I have it. Fight bullying online and everywhere
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

In the Black Vault book there is a suit of leather armor that one of my players always tries to get for his magic users. It has good MDC and some version have built in regeneration. I've tweaked it on occasion, but they have to go to Splynn to get a suit.
ImageImage
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Carl Gleba wrote:In the Black Vault book there is a suit of leather armor that one of my players always tries to get for his magic users. It has good MDC and some version have built in regeneration. I've tweaked it on occasion, but they have to go to Splynn to get a suit.

Did it ever occur to him that bio-regenerating leather that you get from Splynn most likely does so because it's still alive :eek:
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Carl Gleba wrote:In the Black Vault book there is a suit of leather armor that one of my players always tries to get for his magic users. It has good MDC and some version have built in regeneration. I've tweaked it on occasion, but they have to go to Splynn to get a suit.

Did it ever occur to him that bio-regenerating leather that you get from Splynn most likely does so because it's still alive :eek:

Yeah and he would be the type to have a faerie PPE batter in his pocket to power it if he had too :clown:
ImageImage
Johnathan
Adventurer

Unread post by Johnathan »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Don't spook the chitlens, Neky. Let them believe it's all magical...
Hotrod wrote:I haven't noticed saints getting the bad end of the bargain at all. Sure, a lot of them die in pain and poverty. A lot of jerks die in agony, betrayal, and humiliation, often taking their own lives rather than having to face the consequences of what they've done.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Johnathan wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Don't spook the chitlens, Neky. Let them believe it's all magical...

*EBIL GRINZ* :demon:
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

mysteries of magic explains the reason metal armor disrupts spellcasting as due to the fact that metal actually has a strong affinity to magic energy.. basically the metal armor absorbs and channels the PPE away before it can manifest the spell.

it also says that in PFRPG's history, steel used to be made by enchanting wrought iron. this magic steel had no effect on spellcasting, because the magic used to make it negated the metal's normal PPE affinity.

apparently, in PFRPG, when the Dwarves discovered how to make steel using non-magical means, magic steel fell out of favor because the magic kind took longer and was more expensive to make. and then, IIRC, during the elf-dwarf wars the secret to magically made steel was misplaced.

no reason why another culture like the UWW couldn't have discovered how to make such magical refined metals, and used them in their space suits and powered armor in order to help preserve the spellcasting abilities of the user.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

glitterboy2098 wrote:mysteries of magic explains the reason metal armor disrupts spell casting as due to the fact that metal actually has a strong affinity to magic energy.. basically the metal armor absorbs and channels the PPE away before it can manifest the spell.

it also says that in PFRPG's history, steel used to be made by enchanting wrought iron. this magic steel (1) had no effect on spell casting, because the magic used to make it negated the metal's normal PPE affinity. (2)

apparently, in PFRPG, when the Dwarves discovered how to make steel using non-magical means, magic steel (1) fell out of favor because the magic kind took longer and was more expensive to make. and then, IIRC, during the elf-dwarf wars the secret to magically made steel was misplaced.

no reason why another culture like the UWW couldn't have discovered how to make such magical refined metals, and used them in their space suits and powered armor in order to help preserve the spell casting abilities of the user.

(1) The text in the MoM 1 book says magically produced Iron. It is this magically produced iron that the discovery of mundanely produced steel moved out of the common place for the dwarves. Page 13 very last paragraph.

(2) There is no mention of the magically produced & strengthened Iron being magic friendly. in the same place the magically produced & magically enhanced iron is mentioned. The same last paragraph on page 13 of MoM1.

Now if I missed something, please show us where you found it.
-------------------
On another note,
The UWW produces the warlock marine power armor, what spells can be cast through, at -50% penalties for some aspects.

Was just reading in the black Market (BM) book In the mirage power armor, in an all inclusive sounding statement, that 'Magic can not be cast through Any power armor. Not even Magic power armors.' (mote did not use full " " so the former is not a direct quote.)

My opinion is that the statement made is full of carp. From day one mages have been able to cast through magical PA's because they were magical.

Not this they can't cause they were 'fully enclosed'. :crane:
Magic is not some particle that can not travel through the physical barrier. :roll:

That mages can not cast in metal is not a problem with me. It is a problem when they go about changing things that are established concepts of canon.

But I could look at it this way, "the RBM book is so filled with mistakes and typos I can just toss the whole book out of canon because it would take a whole rewrite to fix everything." or "burn it like I did with Rifts china books because they were so :crane: bad."
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Hot Rod
Wanderer

Unread post by Hot Rod »

I've run into so many arguments about this at the table I'd love to see Kevin define what a mage can and cannot wear (BoM no longer being the newest, but still the one I trust most).

1. What EBA can Mages wear?
2. What non-humanoids have to pay for modified armor? (and what Mages pay for special materials to cast through)
3. Can creatures of Magic survive a vacuum? (If not what does a fae or dragon do in a PW setting?) Other MDC beings?
4. TW PA should already be magic friendly, after all, it is magic yet the books (Arzno, TBM) contain blanket statements that 'magic cannot be cast in PA' that contradict BoM. The RMB Mystic Power Armor was caster friendly?

IMC:

1. Any: 75% to 100% extra for special materials.
2. +25% for each extra appendage, +30% per foot in height over 6' (multiplicative with special materials if required)
3. The statement that they are sustained by magic, and the 'sustain' spell alleviates the breathing requirement, Creatures of Magic should be fine. (Demons & Gargoyles are also explicitly stated as able to survive in space)
4. Unless the main body is over 500 MDC, TW & mage friendly materials will allow it to be cast through.
<- Banned from Explorers Unlimited for Objecting to EU GM Abuse. Be warned, GMs play favorites, and ignore rule books if it suits them. They also are not afraid to apply the rules to one person in the party but not another. This is FACT, If you need proof I have it. Fight bullying online and everywhere

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”