Antarctica

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Antartica. . . why? I just don't see ANYTHING interesting there
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

Hmmm... Antarctica is a tricky subject to tackle IMO. First of all, aside from some penguins there's not much that lives down there. Second of all, aside from some penguins there's not much that lives down there.

:D

Seriously... I can't see much being done with Antarctica unless you're dealing with a 'Savage Land' type scenario with a habitable area closed off from the rest of the world. It's not capable of sustaining much life down there, so even if it were a magic-rich environment with all sorts of monsters/D-Bees spewing forth from Rifts, there's not much likelihood of them surviving long enough to make a book worthwhile.

Also, on a personal note I'd like to think that even in Rifts Earth there's still a place where mankind has not waged war.
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

aaaaaaaa, sure depending on how much BS you want to put out, you can make anyplace enjoyable and playable. heck, that's what happened to China and England, and Rifts Underseas for that matter, AND mutants in orbet.

but I think there should be a wastland in Rifts that's nothing is going on. . . let's keep antartica uninhabited. JMHO
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Scyber
D-Bee

Unread post by Scyber »

Well for inspiration, go see the Alien Vs. Predator movie this summer. That takes place in Antartica.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

In the past there have been several online netbooks on Antarctica....sadly, all of them have since perished...
But Antarctica has great potential because of its splendid isolation....True, there might be human colonies surviving down there, but the real attraction is on what could potential lie UNDER it....science has discovered vast lakes of pristine prehistoric water...ancient meteors trapped in cold storage...

Looking for adventure ideas? Check the Lovecraftian 'At the Mountains of Madness', or the original Campbell short story 'Who Goes There?'....Even without tropical jungles springing up, one could populate the South Pole with cold-tolerant alien visitors, crystalline alien tech, air and water elementals, sentient winds, ancient Atlantean outposts, secret Cold War experiments now re-surfacing, and otherworldy phenomenon....

Antarctica is also strangely beautiful....splendid isolation...and that might make it a real nifty place for cold-adapted mages to meditate...how better to put yourself in perspective with teh rest of teh universe than in the middle of six-month night, on a seemingly infinite sheet of ice under the skies, with only a magically-sustained bubble of warmth between you and freezing to death?

Perhaps some of those scientists survived by creating new forms of magic unheard of anywhere else? Magics that could be applied to other iceballs like the outer planets?

Oh, there's potential there....
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Esckey
Adventurer

Unread post by Esckey »

I agree with Taalismn here, which is odd cause I figure the Antartic and the artic should be the absolute last books PB should ever put out. Though of all the things I've heard about antartica, never heard anything about pristine lakes under the ice. Heard about lakes that have a very good chance of still carrying bacteria and other single celled lifeforms left over from millions of years ago when it was a semi-habital place
God says he loves me, but I suspect he's just in it for the sex

Never underestimate someone as insane as I am

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

"Come Filthy Assistants!!"- Spider Jerusalem
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Phalanx wrote:Wasn't Palladium already kicking around an Antarctica manuscript in the past?

Yes, there was. BCL submitted a manuscript for Antarctica, and I believe someone else did too. I can't remember if the one Ben did was accepted or not, but if it is, it's probably sitting on the bottom of the editing pile....
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

Shaded_Helios wrote:If humans could achieve that much before the Cataclysm, is it hard to imagine that they may have made inroads towards civilizing Antarctica? At the very least, with tensions so high between the global super powers just before the Cataclysm, there should have been a handful of military bases or outposts scattered across the continent.

Establishment of any kind of military base or outpost is forbidden by Article 1 of the Antarctic Treaty, signed 12/01/1959 and entered into force on 06/23/1961. Incidentally, as of 2003 are 45 treaty member nations.

Beanie, if you're still hot on this idea of writing up an Antarctica book then I'd recommend you take a look at this:

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/fac ... os/ay.html

It came up in a Netscape internet search for "Antarctica" -- btw, did you know they actually have CRUISES to Antarctica? I hope there's not a 'topless deck' there like they have on other cruise lines... :eek:
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

sure... almost nobody goes there *unless* they are working for some university... actually, you should have said they also have the greatest percentage of PhD holders anywhere on earth...

plus they *have* to have those survival skills...
only trouble... could they really survive once the supply train went off kilter?
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

that's precisely what I meant ...

we're not speaking about die hard survivalists, but about college types having had to acquire some skills to live on the hard and uncushy side...

it's one thing to do with some of the modern comforts for some time, and supplement part of the diet with game, fish, and the like... another to fully go inuit... forever, and create a real settlement and society that will last over several generations...
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Rift Jumper wrote: I don't think they's publish a whole book,but definitely try for Rifter.

From memory, Pall asked Ben to do the manuscript for Antartica, not the other way around.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
TechnoGothic
Knight

Re: Antarctica

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Savage Land manifested at Last Hahahahahahaaa
That would be cool actually. Technology/Magic keeping part of the land unfrozen.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Kinghawke
Explorer

Unread post by Kinghawke »

for Antarctica, consider the rifts & how they reshaped the landscape and world. there Could be nothing but ice down there, or it could be completely different. possibly even the control systems for the orbital satellites that were set up to keep everything On Rifts Earth instead of allowing them to go into outer space.
King Hawke--I don't make the world, I just live in it
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

There could be an old pre-Rifts base from NEMA or Argentina still operating. Right now, all the superpowers have a base in Antartica. How do they manage to survive? Well, that one is difficult to explain (Argentina is easier because people from the continent could have evacuated to Antartica base). Perhaps they went into hybernation mode or something like that. Or they have adapted to the harsh conditions.
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
Necrite
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Necrite »

Strange how this got necroed, and nobody bothered to mention the discussion in this thread.

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Rifts® World Book: Antarctica™
Things are heating up at the frozen South Pole. Creatures from the Rifts, human survivors, magic users, demons, invasive aliens and minions of the mighty Splugorth all vie for control of the mysterious land of wonder that Antarctica has become.
* 11 new O.C.C.s like the Expedition Surveyor, Edran Temple Guard, Ilroth Game Warden & Vostok Line Guardian.
* The Ice Jungles and strange monsters of Antarctica, including many species from prehistoric Ice Age Earth.
* The Expedition, human survivors armed with Golden Age technology.
* Vostok City, subglacial home of magic users and rogues.
* The Vinson Massif, a secretive Ice Dragon enclave.
* The Kalmek Game Park, Splynncryth’s scenic Antarctic getaway.
* The Ilroth, a cold-weather Splugorth Minion race.
* Krellik aliens: swarming D-Bee monsters that threaten all.
* Lomari Nomads, Ice Witches, the Edran, Ghost Camps and more!
* Over 40 new magic spells and cold-weather magic from other books. (( Ut oh.... book isn't even started and we're seeing indications of cut and paste. Boooo))
* Ice Golems, Techno-Wizard devices and amazing polar technology.
* Written by Matthew Clements. Coming 2013.
* Size, price and release date not yet known.
"I have to applaud you for doing all that math :D" - Nekira Sudacne
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Hmmm,,,'Ghost Camps"...I get the feeling these are going to be like the murderous child spirits from Dinosaur Swamp....nice little oasis of warmth and possible supplies in the middle of the cold desolation? Yeah, until you get close in, then...mwahhaahahahaahhaaahhaa..... :twisted:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Sounds like yet another good book! Looking forward to it!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
kaid
Knight

Re:

Unread post by kaid »

Uncle Servo wrote:Hmmm... Antarctica is a tricky subject to tackle IMO. First of all, aside from some penguins there's not much that lives down there. Second of all, aside from some penguins there's not much that lives down there.

:D

Seriously... I can't see much being done with Antarctica unless you're dealing with a 'Savage Land' type scenario with a habitable area closed off from the rest of the world. It's not capable of sustaining much life down there, so even if it were a magic-rich environment with all sorts of monsters/D-Bees spewing forth from Rifts, there's not much likelihood of them surviving long enough to make a book worthwhile.

Also, on a personal note I'd like to think that even in Rifts Earth there's still a place where mankind has not waged war.

Add in magic/advanced environmental armor and demons from hell and there is a lot of things you can do with antartica to make it interesting. Heck even an homage to in the mountains of madness would work great. Elder things stirring under the mountain ranges in antarctica.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Cities under glass or environmental domes, or... drastic climate change due to the coming of Rifts and parts of Antartica being lush and forested. It's been done anumber of ways in Sci-fi. Rifts could do any one or all of them and more. That's the 'good' thing about rifts.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
mumah
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Attacking gazeebos since 1883!

Unread post by mumah »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:That's the 'good' thing about rifts.

Why the "good" in quotes?
"I remember your work." -Amy "The Unicorn" Ashbaugh
"What a talented schmoe." -Brian Manning
"Someday I'll be half as cool as Mumah." -Brian Manning
"Apollo Okamura drove here across the Atlantic from Japan." -Sarah Aten
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

mumah wrote:

Because it can also be a bad thing?

Don't worry Mumah.. Your art is one of the good things in Rifts too. :ok:

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
mumah
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Attacking gazeebos since 1883!

Unread post by mumah »

Suck up. ;)
"I remember your work." -Amy "The Unicorn" Ashbaugh
"What a talented schmoe." -Brian Manning
"Someday I'll be half as cool as Mumah." -Brian Manning
"Apollo Okamura drove here across the Atlantic from Japan." -Sarah Aten
Bood Samel
Adventurer
Comment: The only place worth going is too far.

Unread post by Bood Samel »

Neuswabenand and Miguel Seranno.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
mumah wrote:

Because it can also be a bad thing?

Don't worry Mumah.. Your art is one of the "good" things in Rifts too. :ok:

Ok I added that...
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited

Return to “Rifts®”