Help: Opinions on Morpheus to Man.

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Help: Opinions on Morpheus to Man.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

In the current game I am running (click the Undead Dino in my signature) one of my players is playing a Nightbane who turns into a living pool of blood (art by yours truly :P).

Well, he recently grabbed hold of a rather large plasma cannon that was covered in an eco-magic adhesive that sticks to whatever it touches and it stuck to his tendrils, then for whatever reason (this was never supposed to happen) he decided that he would put the firearm inside his central body mass as it was liquid. Which has lead me to a concern as a Game Master that I need some advice on. I am tempted to just say "you die" when you turn back into a human but this seems a little harsh. I just wanted to know if there were rules for this kind of thing anywhere in the Nightbane books (I am using Nightbane as they appear in Rifts: Dark Conversions).

I'd appreciate any advice/insight on the situation.

If he reverts to his mortal form, will he have a plasma cannon coated in magic glue where his organs should be?
Last edited by Akashic Soldier on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Jedrious
Adventurer

Re: Help: Opinions on Morpheus to Man.

Unread post by Jedrious »

Akashic Soldier wrote:In the current game I am running (click the Undead Dino in my signature) one of my players is playing a Nightbane who turns into a living pool of blood (Sprite by yours truly :P). When, he recently grabbed hold of a rather large plasma cannon that was covered in an eco-magic adhesive that sticks to whatever it touches.

Well, this was never supposed to happen but in the end he decided that he would put the firearm inside his central body mass as it was liquid.

Which has lead me to a concern as a Game Master that I need some advice on. I am tempted to just say "you die" when you turn back into a human but this seems a little harsh. I just wanted to know if there were rules for this kind of thing anywhere in the Nightbane books (I am using Nightbane as they appear in Rifts: Dark Conversions).

I'd appreciate any advice/insight on the situation.

If he reverts to his mortal form, will he have a plasma cannon coated in magic glue where his organs should be?

Shapeshifters expel cybernetics when they transform, treat this the same way.
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Jedrious wrote:Shapeshifters expel cybernetics when they transform, treat this the same way.

And that is exactly how I would normally treat it, except the magical nature of the glue is that it automatically sticks to anything it touches and cannot be removed except through the use of a very specific solvent?
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
Jedrious
Adventurer

Unread post by Jedrious »

Akashic Soldier wrote:
Jedrious wrote:Shapeshifters expel cybernetics when they transform, treat this the same way.

And that is exactly how I would normally treat it, except the magical nature of the glue is that it automatically sticks to anything it touches and cannot be removed except through the use of a very specific solvent?

The transformation is magical as well.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Sinse any objects you are carrying with you that are incompatible with your morphus form are explictly said to simply "Vanish" when you turn into morphus (Unless you choose to waive it for effect) and reappear when you turn into facade, the most consistant ruling is that this feature works both ways: anything you are carying in Morphus that is incompatible with facade likewise vanishes by the same mechanisem, and re-appears when they morph again.

simple example: a normal person in facade is wearing a bulletproof vest, backpack, turns into a Wolf morphus, all that stuff vanishes and reappears when they return to facade.

However, if you choose to wavie it because you have a human-mophus like a barbie doll, then you can't make carried gear vanish when you turn, even if it benifits you. So the choice depends on lot on what your morphus is and what you do with it.

So if he hasn't been having his worn stuff vanish when he turns to morphus, I would rule it saves him, if he keeps using stuff he was wearing, he's screwed. minor stuff like weapons or something in the hand could be wavied just saying he drops it and picks it back up again after.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sinse any objects you are carrying with you that are incompatible with your morphus form are explictly said to simply "Vanish" when you turn into morphus (Unless you choose to waive it for effect) and reappear when you turn into facade, the most consistant ruling is that this feature works both ways: anything you are carying in Morphus that is incompatible with facade likewise vanishes by the same mechanisem, and re-appears when they morph again.

simple example: a normal person in facade is wearing a bulletproof vest, backpack, turns into a Wolf morphus, all that stuff vanishes and reappears when they return to facade.

However, if you choose to wavie it because you have a human-mophus like a barbie doll, then you can't make carried gear vanish when you turn, even if it benifits you. So the choice depends on lot on what your morphus is and what you do with it.

So if he hasn't been having his worn stuff vanish when he turns to morphus, I would rule it saves him, if he keeps using stuff he was wearing, he's screwed. minor stuff like weapons or something in the hand could be wavied just saying he drops it and picks it back up again after.

Okay, lets explore this a little before I settle on that ruling then...

Lets say your Nightbane happens across a time bomb (cliche I know but run with me here) and he picks it up and swallows it and then reverts to human form. Does the bomb detonate while its "vanished" or when he turns back does it continue on from the countdown at the point at which he had reverted to humanoid form?

Because as I am sure you have realized Nekira, the ability to just "make whatever isn't compatable go away" even if for a limited amount of time is a very potent ability.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Akashic Soldier wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sinse any objects you are carrying with you that are incompatible with your morphus form are explictly said to simply "Vanish" when you turn into morphus (Unless you choose to waive it for effect) and reappear when you turn into facade, the most consistant ruling is that this feature works both ways: anything you are carying in Morphus that is incompatible with facade likewise vanishes by the same mechanisem, and re-appears when they morph again.

Okay, lets explore this a little before I settle on that ruling then...

Lets say your Nightbane happens across a time bomb (cliche I know but run with me here) and he picks it up and swallows it and then reverts to human form. Does the bomb detonate while its "vanished" or when he turns back does it continue on from the countdown at the point at which he had reverted to humanoid form?

Because as I am sure you have realized Nekira, the ability to just "make whatever isn't compatable go away" even if for a limited amount of time is a very potent ability.

It is potent! However, according to the shadow pockets talent, that talent gives them access to a mini-dimension where everything you put in is explictly in a state of Limbo--time does not pass and nothing degrades at all. So it's not an ability they can't access. Do note no object that weighs more than 15 pounds will fit, even though the storage capacity is 5 pounds per level, no individual item can weigh more than 15. and it only costs 8 PPE per access (8 PPE to store and item and 8 PPE to retreive it)

If nothing else, your character could simply burn PPE to develop this talent and use it to shift the gun into the pocket dimension before he turns back to facade assuming he hasn't burned for the max 2 per level. and if he has since there's no limit to how long one can stay in morphus so if nothing else he just has to survive in morphus until he gains a level.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Akashic Soldier wrote:

I would have to know how the NB has his becoming.(Reference R20 NB tables) So I would say "It Depends" If the becoming is a substitution type becoming then the NB would be fine cause the weapon would "go away" with his morphus body and come back with it when he changed back to his morphus.
---------------
With the fluid nature of the NB, he would be able to sacrifice what ever parts of him that were actually stuck to the thing. since the parts left behind would ether vanish after being abandoned or when the char turned back to his facade.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Xanador
D-Bee

Unread post by Xanador »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:---------------
With the fluid nature of the NB, he would be able to sacrifice what ever parts of him that were actually stuck to the thing. since the parts left behind would ether vanish after being abandoned or when the char turned back to his facade.

Well that seems a key point from my perspective. How does a character that's a pool of liquid, if you actually treat his form as a liquid, actually get stuck to anything? At most a thin layer would get stuck and at the cost of some minor damage the object could be removed. Though it seems you intended this to lead to something else but sometimes you just need to acknowledge things didn't turn out as you expected and move on from there.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Akashic Soldier wrote:... large plasma cannon that was covered in an eco-magic adhesive that sticks to whatever it touches ...

Xanador wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:With the fluid nature of the NB, he would be able to sacrifice what ever parts of him that were actually stuck to the thing. since the parts left behind would ether vanish after being abandoned or when the char turned back to his facade.

Well that seems a key point from my perspective. How does a character that's a pool of liquid, if you actually treat his form as a liquid, actually get stuck to anything? At most a thin layer would get stuck and at the cost of some minor damage the object could be removed. Though it seems you intended this to lead to something else but sometimes you just need to acknowledge things didn't turn out as you expected and move on from there.

Cause it's magic.
& I said what I meant to say w/o any leading somewhere.
------------------
One addendum: To make the sacrificial separation of the self bits, the char would need something like the piecemeal talent.
-------------------
Post Script: The situation described in the OP would "story wise" a good "why did you decides to get this talent?" reason.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Xanador
D-Bee

Unread post by Xanador »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Cause it's magic.
& I said what I meant to say w/o any leading somewhere.
------------------
One addendum: To make the sacrificial separation of the self bits, the char would need something like the piecemeal talent.
-------------------
Post Script: The situation described in the OP would "story wise" a good "why did you decides to get this talent?" reason.

Because it's magic? Really? If a GM gave me that kind of answer I'd be late for the door.

I wasn't trying to imply anything about your statement, the follow up was all mine.

No Talent is necessary, you have another bane rip it out. They wouldn't get stuck because the layer of blood would act as a sealant. When he goes back to facade the ripped off layer of blood fades out and the adhesive is exposed again.

Return to “Nightbane®”