Minies, painted or unpainted?

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Do you want the minies painted?

Yes.
46%
No.
14%
Don't care, will buy them eithor way.
29%
Don't want minies.
11%

Total votes: 28

Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Re: Minies, painted or unpainted?

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

Jefffar wrote:I'll point out that the heads of WH40K models are sculpted disproportionately large in order to provide additional detail work.
well, those examples have HUGE heads... easily 50-100% larger than they should be IMO... maybe a better answer for the "Minis" would be to use the Super-D designs for the VF-1, to ensure the heads are large enough to retain the needed details of the various extra-useless lasers...
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:Actually, the cyclone is the Smallest of the main units used throught the series, and was kinda the main focus of the Invid era... it will be much harder to sculpt at 2m/285= ~7mm = 1/4 inch.

You got me there, I was thinking "main mecha" more in terms of "giant robot". I'd still expect the focus to land more on the Alphas, since the New Generation is extended by Shadow Chronicles, and that focuses almost exclusively on shadow fighter variations. Put it that way, and 1:285 REALLY does seem way too small to be viable. Maybe 1:60 would be better, similarly scaled to WH40K so the Cyclones and all would actually be a manageable size... 'course then the Macross Saga's mecha all end up huge.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:Actually, the cyclone is the Smallest of the main units used throught the series, and was kinda the main focus of the Invid era... it will be much harder to sculpt at 2m/285= ~7mm = 1/4 inch.

You got me there, I was thinking "main mecha" more in terms of "giant robot". I'd still expect the focus to land more on the Alphas, since the New Generation is extended by Shadow Chronicles, and that focuses almost exclusively on shadow fighter variations. Put it that way, and 1:285 REALLY does seem way too small to be viable. Maybe 1:60 would be better, similarly scaled to WH40K so the Cyclones and all would actually be a manageable size... 'course then the Macross Saga's mecha all end up huge.
Currently with the focus of the game on the Macross Era, and if they work with Paulson games unlikely to move beyond Macross, even thinking about the scale of the later units is a waste of time.

and TSC's focus has returned to the Larger robots over the Cyclones, it got its fair screen time in a movie that was set in space...
Ideally, I'd like to see Squads of cyclones as Jeffar implied in his image, perhaps a cycle squad and a power-suit squad that you could change between.
I'm a bit curious about transformation in the game... how it will be handled...
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Colonel Wolfe wrote:Currently with the focus of the game on the Macross Era, and if they work with Paulson games unlikely to move beyond Macross, even thinking about the scale of the later units is a waste of time.

Man, no silver linings with your clouds, huh? Personally, I hope the license is going to someone competent, and that it won't just end up as another disappointing false start. Maybe they could take the Battlefleet Gothic approach and just make their minis one size so they look good, and say that the space the mecha occupies is the center of its base or something.

Colonel Wolfe wrote:I'm a bit curious about transformation in the game... how it will be handled...

Likewise... it's too small a scale for the models to be articulated, I wonder if it'll be done by swapping out minis or only given representation as a game mechanic. :?:
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
rtsurfer
Adventurer

Unread post by rtsurfer »

I thought Paulson Games was told "no" a while ago, then Palladium shifted talks to the other unnamed potential partners they were having discussions with.
I also hope the license has gone to someone competent. Preferably someone who has made tiny detailed toys, and better yet quality minis for gaming.
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Seto Kaiba wrote:Man, no silver linings with your clouds, huh? Personally, I hope the license is going to someone competent, and that it won't just end up as another disappointing false start. Maybe they could take the Battlefleet Gothic approach and just make their minis one size so they look good, and say that the space the mecha occupies is the center of its base or something.
its not about a silver lining, its about honesty. I know Kevin wants to do all 3 eras, but if he works with the guy from Paulson games, I know it won't happen. the guy expressed on his facebook page he has Zero desire to sculpt the Masters Saga and nearly none for the Invid Saga.

RTS wrote:I thought Paulson Games was told "no" a while ago, then Palladium shifted talks to the other unnamed potential partners they were having discussions with.
I also hope the license has gone to someone competent. Preferably someone who has made tiny detailed toys, and better yet quality minis for gaming.
he was, but still acts like he is involved on his blog http://robotechbattles.blogspot.com/ saying "WE" alot...
rtsurfer
Adventurer

Unread post by rtsurfer »

Looking over that blog. I think Robotech Battles is run by Tom Roache, who was writing the Robotech mini game's rules. Yes, he does imply continued involvement with Palladium and a desire to work with them in the next stage. He claims his game is no longer associated with Paulson Game (Jon Paulson). Also, he emphasizes Palladium's desire to do all 3 RT sagas plus TSC [They could probably make a less detailed Sentinels, especially if Genesis Pits and Marines adds more equipment and mecha].

I looked up Paulson Games on Facebook, he shutdown his Robotech Minitures page, where he has announced taking a break from his company to work as lead designer at another company. Hope it's not for the company doing Palladium's RT minis.
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Seto wrote:The novels are Robotech in name only, so we can safely ignore that... but I don't see the rest of that being an issue, considering the circumstances of the episode.

I would say the novels are an AU on to themselves. The circumstances of the episodes don't elaborate on what was fired. I'm not even sure if a laser cannon (as opposed to a rail/coil-gun or particle weapon) would need to have an open barrel like that so you could put a projectile down it. If it doesn't (which I suspect is the case) one needs to explain the presence of the open barrel.

Seto wrote:That first bit doesn't make sense, the second is easy to rule out because railguns didn't become a mecha-scale thing until 2043-2044 in canon (VM-9, VR-057, etc.), and a combination of the two doesn't improve matters. Either way, there's not room for a shot locker at any caliber comparable to the main mount's bore in there, and no room for a feed system either.

I disagree about the "equivalent" size not making sense, though it should be something that is noted clearly.

With regard to the Railguns, the VHT is a larger than the either the VM-9 or VR-057 mecha, one could take the POV that the VHT is either using a stripped down "Tri-Star" system (RT.com infopedia) and/or the VM-9/VR-057 versions are railguns at the first practical ones at that size. And the VHT cannon in question, when deployed, is nearly the height of the VHT in Battloid mode (easily x2 the size of the VR-057) in length.

Alternatively one could go with a non-animated external ammo drum for simplicity.

Seto wrote:So, your answer is that the 15th's XO is inept? And people say that I'M the one who's mean to the Masters Saga. Dana's established to be a very skilled pilot throughout the saga, so I don't think that's likely. I think this is just a dialogue slip.

No I don't think she is inept, she is a recent gradute and the academy likely has no reason to pass someone who isn't ready at that point. What I am saying is that because Sean is a more experienced pilot he can use the red far more effectively.

Seto wrote:It's been a while since I watched the RT version, is that guy actually an officer or is his rank not given? If he's a senior NCO, then he's driving a yellow for a reason.

The guy has the wing crests on the helmet like Dana (a known officer, though her officer/nco status floats around but is an officer more often than not IINM), Zor Prime (also said to be an officer, but I don't recall a rank give for him) and is refered to by his rank x2.

Angelo: Well Lt we'll be sure to keep our eyes open it looks like I'll be leading the patrol today
VHTofficer: Yes I heard we were notified Lt Sterling was called away to a meeting… hmmm 14th Squad secure your hovertanks thanks a lot see you Sgt [boards VHT] so long
Angelo: good luck Lt… [after VHTs pull out] everyone stand bye where moving out

Seto wrote:Nah, Roy demonstrates fairly often that he deserves the reputation he has as a veteran pilot in the series itself, never mind the canon comics

Roy isn't a main character for the 85ep, in the EU he does get main character role at times, but in the show itself he really isn't a main character as the focus of the story isn't on him, he appears in a supporting role from time to time. That would be why I say he is like Bubba-fett, not really a main player in the originional triology (and via the 90s SE with restored scenes is now in all 3), but has a following (don't really see the appeal of him) and a big presence in the EU.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

rtsurfer wrote:Looking over that blog. I think Robotech Battles is run by Tom Roache, who was writing the Robotech mini game's rules. Yes, he does imply continued involvement with Palladium and a desire to work with them in the next stage. He claims his game is no longer associated with Paulson Game (Jon Paulson). Also, he emphasizes Palladium's desire to do all 3 RT sagas plus TSC [They could probably make a less detailed Sentinels, especially if Genesis Pits and Marines adds more equipment and mecha].

I looked up Paulson Games on Facebook, he shutdown his Robotech Minitures page, where he has announced taking a break from his company to work as lead designer at another company. Hope it's not for the company doing Palladium's RT minis.
I was mistaken, I remember that blog was linked to the minis page ran by Paulson, and his overtly rude attitude toward Master's Saga fans is continued by the person who posts on this page, calling out "Trolls" who dislike the fact the basic game is only Macross.
I for one agree with teh hope that Paulson isn't working for the company that is doing the Robotech minis, his attitude and over all demeanor about the later eras was discouraging, and I feel a person like that may purposefully delay work on the Later eras to make those product lines fail and to get more Macross products out.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I think that this topic has veered far enough from talking about the game and too far into talking about people.

We'll lock this and I suggest all wait until we see which minis are coming before we start commenting about what is and isn't represented.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”