Any tips for quickly statting mooks?

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shotofentropy
D-Bee

Re: Any tips for quickly statting mooks?

Unread post by Shotofentropy »

Rise topic...RISE!

When I GM'd TMNT&OS more, I would stat mooks with 9s in whatever attribute I needed at the moment, add mutant bonuses (size level, animal bonuses), and give them a level. Any combat stats needed, quickly look up the level, give 'em an W.P. and figure any possible P.P. bonuses (and Spd. at that point in Palladium's rules).
For Lt. type characters: if combat then 12s in PS, PE, PP, and SPD (plus aforementioned bonuses), if intel then in IQ, ME, MA (if I ever needed them), plus a higher level or two depending on the difficulty. Any major GM characters got built just like PCs.

Bio-E always figured Biped: full, Hands: full, speech: partial, Looks: None (approx. 25 bio-e), rest in claws, teeth, and special ability (skunk spray, prehensile tail, etc) (20 bio-e +/-), rest in size level (dont really need to ht/wt, just bonuses).
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

For basic ability stats, I just used an 'average' die roll (ie, had base stats of around 12), then factor in any ability adjustment for the base animal. If they are just cannon fodder, then I'd just 'give' them a fairly average mutation range. It would depend on the base animal, but most likely only partial hands, biped, no looks, etc. Just give them a small selection of skills, but at a low level, so maybe prowl at 23%, etc.

For goon higher up the ladder, I'd give then some higher stats to reflect possible physical training, like boxing, athletics, running. The token 'dumb bunny' would get especially low INT, but buff up his STR or PE. Give them more skills than the cannon fodder, and maybe have their skills around the 45% mark. Give them mutant traits more towards the full range, and maybe an animal power or two. Or psionics. The Dumb Bunny, may only have a few 'mental' skills, but more likely to have physical skills. Can be fun for the occasional Dumb Bunny to have a psionic power to two. Will make the players do a double take.

For Body Guard goons, stats are around the more powerful goons, but increase their INT and/or ME as well. They're bodyguards because they have some actual talent. Well, sometimes. Stat them out better. Their skills will be a bit better than the tougher goons, but not more than their boss. He's the Boss after all. Maybe approaching 60%?

Villains themselves, no matter what game system, I feel should be statted out just like a PC. Create a character for them just like making a character as you would for when you're playing. Doesn't have to be on a full character sheet, but certainly is a good idea.

Mooks/Goons can be statted out on scrap paper. If you think they'll pop up again (a good story trend), clean them up a bit and put them on a index card or similar.

8]
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

I have a Hierarchy of Villainous NPCs I use
(I wrote these up for some HU and N&SS games I was running but they can apply to any setting)

Mooks: these are the cannon fodder of the BBEG; consequently they are not expected to last long (1Hit wonders... I dont usually bother with stating them) the BBEG will have 100s to 1000s of these guys
Toughs: these are the lowest level leaders in an organization; They too are not expected to last long (2 or 3 hits and they drop; I note their HP and SDC which are of average quality) 10% of Mooks are Toughs
BBAs (Billy Bad@$$s): These are the highest ranking mooks and toughs. They are still not expected to do much more than slow the heroes down. They will have one or two unusual bonuses noted down. HP and SDC are slightly above normal. (it may take a hero a full melee or two to deal with just one)
Lieutenants: These guys look and act like BBAs. But they are much tougher; They will have full combat stats (PS, PP, PE, SPD, Strike, Parry, Dodge, Damage, HP, SDC), above average HP and SDC, may wear armor.
Capos:These are the Jaws and Odd Jobs of the BBEG: They get full stat treatment.
BBEG (Big Bad Evil Guy): full stats, Back story, Motivations, Etc...
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”