How did your 'Gathering of Heroes' go?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DevastationBob
Dungeon Crawler

How did your 'Gathering of Heroes' go?

Unread post by DevastationBob »

Never played it myself, but I was just wondering how others fared against the 4 horseman?
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Re: How did your 'Gathering of Heroes' go?

Unread post by Anthar »

My party took out Pestilence by casting Phobia: Insects on him. :D
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Anthar wrote:My party took out Pestilence by casting Phobia: Insects on him. :D

Devious!

But thinking about it, I'm not sure how that'd do it. Since he already has the power to send all his inscets out in a swarm anyway, he'd do that and then continue fighting normally
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Anthar wrote:My party took out Pestilence by casting Phobia: Insects on him. :D

Devious!

But thinking about it, I'm not sure how that'd do it. Since he already has the power to send all his inscets out in a swarm anyway, he'd do that and then continue fighting normally

Of course that wasn't the only thing done to him, but it sure made it a lot easier to take him out.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

There's a phobia spell? Also I guess it depends if he rolled to save, failed and went catatonic..
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

My 13th level undead slayer and his party of Godling/Cybernight/Power armor commandos did very well with the 4 horseman. Only Death survuved
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

Poorly. Very, ridiculously poorly.
Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Unread post by Athos »

DevastationBob wrote:Never played it myself, but I was just wondering how others fared against the 4 horseman?

I would love to play this scenario, I have been wanting to for almost 20 years, but the power level is so high, that most GMs won't touch it with the proverbial 10' pole.

I think you would have to be both high in level, like 8th+, as well as high in power setting in order to survive and win the day.

A godling, or demigod, dragon hatchings, glitterboys, dragon juicers, all kinds of super powerful characters can get thrashed by these demons, so it is a chance to really pull out and play the toughest PCs you can get. There are only so many challenges on Rifts Earth for this kind of party, so the game would probably have to be a one shot if you were going to start in Africa, but I think it would be a lot of fun.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Gryphon wrote:Do you remember those old Keystoen Cops movies?

That.

It was embarrassing really. In the end, they resorted to basically carpet bombing Pestilence with scads of MRMs...which weakened him enough that only two players got greased. Sad, very, very sad. Players wouldn't work together in any real way, and team work is the key to taking them out, NOT trying to freaking challenge War one on freaking one because you think you are Billy Bad Arse!!!!

The 10th level cosmo knight in our group was actually doing very well with a 1 on 1 with War. Until War disarmed him and stole his cosmic blade. :lol:
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

Considering we just had the character classes from the main book, we still annihilated the Four Horsemen.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

We went in with the Rifts version of a Heavy Brigade Combat Team. The losses were horrific between the Phoenix Empire and the four Horsemen we had over 50% losses. Not casualties which are wounded..those were over 200%.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Rockwolf66 wrote:We went in with the Rifts version of a Heavy Brigade Combat Team. The losses were horrific between the Phoenix Empire and the four Horsemen we had over 50% losses. Not casualties which are wounded..those were over 200%.

how preciecly does one get get 200% injury rating? are you including civilian injuries?

Athos
Hero

Unread post by Athos »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Rockwolf66 wrote:We went in with the Rifts version of a Heavy Brigade Combat Team. The losses were horrific between the Phoenix Empire and the four Horsemen we had over 50% losses. Not casualties which are wounded..those were over 200%.

how preciecly does one get get 200% injury rating? are you including civilian injuries?

I had a sales manager at a company I worked at that would always say, "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"

If he says there were 50% fatalities and 200% wounded, I am all for it, makes for a great ending. :)
nilgravity
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by nilgravity »

maybe he's confusing Proof with Percent...
Athos
Hero

Unread post by Athos »

I think it was tongue in cheek what he said... I don't think anyone really believes you can have more than 100% of your people wounded :)
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

I was there, and as a pretty significant hero, I saved the day. :)
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Josh Hilden
Adventurer
Comment: Please be kind to yourself and each other.

Unread post by Josh Hilden »

It was a slaughter, most of the party was wiped out along with the cadre of NPC's. The day was saved by a full nuclear strike from the NGR.
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
"The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry
Athos
Hero

Unread post by Athos »

Gryphon wrote:Nope, magical healing takes a casualty and gets them right back in the fight, and for this sort of thing, magical healing would be absolutely rampant. That and with such stuff as Pestilence, you are going to need absolutely scads of cure diseases.

I would tend to get percentages after teh battle was entirely over, but some people will recount a newly wounded trooper. You should see the casualty ratings at a typical SCA Pensig event!

"Wait...how many dead guys did we have today?"

"Umm...looks like....carry the four...7,365!"

"But...we only have 3,000 fighters for both side total!!!"

lol, ok, gamer math then... in the army, if you get shot or wounded and go back to fighting and get shot again or wounded again, you are just one casualty. have never heard of anyone getting to be multiple casualties :)
Rockwolf66
Hero

Athos wrote:
Gryphon wrote:Nope, magical healing takes a casualty and gets them right back in the fight, and for this sort of thing, magical healing would be absolutely rampant. That and with such stuff as Pestilence, you are going to need absolutely scads of cure diseases.

I would tend to get percentages after teh battle was entirely over, but some people will recount a newly wounded trooper. You should see the casualty ratings at a typical SCA Pensig event!

lol, ok, gamer math then... in the army, if you get shot or wounded and go back to fighting and get shot again or wounded again, you are just one casualty. have never heard of anyone getting to be multiple casualties :)

Basically people were wounded...got healed and then got wounded in a different incident. basically saying that everyone was wounded bad enough to take them out of a fight at least twice.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Which time?
I've ran that meta-plotz scenario like 3 times to justify the waste of money that book was.
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

You could also have a 200% injury rate if you also take into account new people rotating in to replace people who have died or were so badly injured that they couldn't continue fighting the good fight (which in Rifts with healing spells/psionic powers really says something).

There were units in WWII that saw casualty rates 150% (or something like that, I can't remember specific numbers, I feel lucky to be halfway coherent this early in the morning) because a unit would have say 100 people in it at any time and through out the unit's deployment saw 150 people die in the line of battle.

Did that make the situation a little bit more clear.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
DevastationBob
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by DevastationBob »

Subjugator wrote:I was there, and as a pretty significant hero, I saved the day. :)

Well don't just tease us, what were you, how'd you save it? Did you disconnect the GM's laptop?

DhAkael wrote:Which time?
I've ran that meta-plotz scenario like 3 times to justify the waste of money that book was.

The most entertaining one? :D
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

I think it would be good to see some of the heroes from this gathering as npcs in offficial books
Last edited by DBX on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Athos wrote:

Was in a group that had 130% death percentage. People whould be killed magicaly braght back to life to die again. Modern causalty reporting whould be confused ok we lost PFC Joe Snuffy, wait he is already listed as killed in action 9 times.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Athos
Hero

Unread post by Athos »

I guess I am old fashioned then, because if you live to tell the tale, you don't get to be counted as a death...

If your character is dead and not coming back, then and only then are you a casualty.

If you die and come back, to me that is more like wounded in action.
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

The Gathering of Heroes has always fascinated me in a sad sort of way, as an opportunity for peace, lost.

New Camelot sent forces, the NGR sent forces, and, I believe, so did the Gargoyle Empire.

This would have meant that it is likely at some point in time that Gargoyles and NGR troops were fighting the good fight, shoulder to shoulder. That sort of thing builds bonds between people, even ones that don't like one another.

This sort of camaraderie could have carried over towards a lasting peace in Europe, with understanding replacing mutual distrust. With Triax supplying the Gargoyles with machines and equipment, the NGR could have quickly expanded to become the New European Union (or, as I think of it, NEU, which means 'new' in German anyway). Undermining this, of course, would have been Splugorth agents who certainly don't want a lasting peace in one of their more profitable wars, and Coalition agents, who don't want their one true ally to start associating with d-bees. Wars, and covert wars in particular, make for strange bedfellows. Perhaps this might have happened. Perhaps the Splugorth and/or Coalition were successful. We will never know. An untold story of Rifts, life, and loss.
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
Rockwolf66
Hero

Not according to Canon.

The Splugorth send a few elite minions and teams of Minions, New Camelot eventually sends in Knights over Mrr'lyn's protests and the NGR only has a handful of Recon Teams.

The Gargoyles are supplied by the Phoenix Empire so they son't want to cut their own supply lines.

The CS knows nothing about Africa and could care less at this point in the timeline.

Basically you have a bunch of disparate groups all working to try and stop something that would kill them all. For the most part it's a war that is forgotten by those who didn't fight it.
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

Rockwolf66 wrote:Not according to Canon.

The Splugorth send a few elite minions and teams of Minions, New Camelot eventually sends in Knights over Mrr'lyn's protests and the NGR only has a handful of Recon Teams.

Elite minions are effectively spies. Battles of espionage behind-the-scenes is what I was getting at.

The NGR certainly sends more, as evidenced by the 'Aramis Knight' entry in Juicer uprising. Squadrons of fighter-bombers, for starters. This contradicts what was written in the first Triax book.

The Gargoyles are supplied by the Phoenix Empire so they son't want to cut their own supply lines.

a) I expect they would if they got a better deal. Emperor Zerstrun (sp?) isn't an idiot.
b) I also thought they were supplied by Atlantis, but it's been a while since I read that, so you may well be right.

The CS knows nothing about Africa and could care less at this point in the timeline.

Nor do they have to. They WOULD, however, care rather a lot if the NGR was getting cosy with d-bees. The odd 'accident' here, the odd false flag incident there... It's surprising how quickly people's prejudices can be re-inflamed with the right motivation, and Joseph Prosek is a master of such manipulation. With the CS working behind the wings, the NGR would never have an alliance with anyone ever again except for the CS. Not Tarnow, Not Romanov or the Sovietski, Just their good and dear friends the CS.

Basically you have a bunch of disparate groups all working to try and stop something that would kill them all. For the most part it's a war that is forgotten by those who didn't fight it.

That's true. Sad and scary but true. I just threw the NEU idea out there to see if people liked the scenario.
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Comrade Corsarius wrote:The Gathering of Heroes has always fascinated me in a sad sort of way, as an opportunity for peace, lost.

New Camelot sent forces, the NGR sent forces, and, I believe, so did the Gargoyle Empire.

This would have meant that it is likely at some point in time that Gargoyles and NGR troops were fighting the good fight, shoulder to shoulder. That sort of thing builds bonds between people, even ones that don't like one another.

This sort of camaraderie could have carried over towards a lasting peace in Europe, with understanding replacing mutual distrust. With Triax supplying the Gargoyles with machines and equipment, the NGR could have quickly expanded to become the New European Union (or, as I think of it, NEU, which means 'new' in German anyway). Undermining this, of course, would have been Splugorth agents who certainly don't want a lasting peace in one of their more profitable wars, and Coalition agents, who don't want their one true ally to start associating with d-bees. Wars, and covert wars in particular, make for strange bedfellows. Perhaps this might have happened. Perhaps the Splugorth and/or Coalition were successful. We will never know. An untold story of Rifts, life, and loss.

Sadly that's too much a real life phenomenon. Look at the Christmas Truce of WWI, the soldiers on both sides just decided to spend the time around Christmas being decent to one another and hooking up in friendship and playing games and such in one area which horrified High Command which made sure it wasn't possible the following year since *gasp* that could lead to PEACE and leave them with nothing to do. It almost reached the literal expression of that question 'what if they held a war and nobody came?'.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Gryphon wrote:In the end, they resorted to basically carpet bombing Pestilence with scads of MRMs...

Josh Hilden wrote:The day was saved by a full nuclear strike from the NGR.

Isn't this pretty much canonically how it happened anyway? NGR doing the bulk of damage from near-orbit and then I imagine the whole 'Gathering of Heroes' group just came in to sweep up the bones.

Comrade Corsarius wrote:The NGR certainly sends more, as evidenced by the 'Aramis Knight' entry in Juicer uprising. Squadrons of fighter-bombers, for starters. This contradicts what was written in the first Triax book.
Not necessarily contradicts, we can assume that the 4 horsemen were still around and undefeated during NGR's publication. Juicer Uprising is the first world book I recall actually referencing them being beaten.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Rifts®”