I let my players play anything, do you?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GenThunderfist
Dungeon Crawler

Re: I let my players play anything, do you?

Unread post by GenThunderfist »

jaymz wrote:
GenThunderfist wrote:
Not that I really care about whether or not CKs make sense in a Rifts Earth based game, or if I would let my player play one without the rest of the players being around the same power level (I wouldn't).
Railguns can't make up for the rules against hitting something that moves really fast. Even supposing the CK can't go FTL in atmosphere (I don't THINK it can, but don't quote me) they can still hit Mach bull**** and I THINK they can outfly a boomgun....I'll have to look that up later. Anyway, the point being is they can only be hit 5% of the time because they are moving so fast. Sure 5% of 10,000 is 500, but he would still have plenty of time to go around and kill most if not all his/her antagonizers.

You realize there is nothing that says HE wouldn't be just as penalized to hit anything by travelling at those speeds right?

Exactly. Following the rules on this subject as they are? It means that the CK can blast away at no penalty and everything else takes massive penalties to hit him. :lol:

I mean, logically speed is realative. But Palladium doesn't really *do* logic. :lol: :lol:
Shoot or Die, it's the name of the game.

Oh kids these days, with their texting and murder...
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

Jay05 wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:First, I never said FTL from an atmosphere. The group would be doing something on one planet and he would travel to another just to start a fight. Second, you are assuming Rifts Earth. And even if he was on Earth, he would blast all of the debris and ships and everything else out of his way before jumping to FTL flight. Also, if they were on Rifts Earth, it would only require him to fly at whatever crazy Mach speed they are capable of to reach any other spot on Earth to start a fight where he can use a cosmic blast to obliterate anything that anyone could make by Earth standards. Coalition? Gone. NGR? Gone. Japan? Gone. He could destroy any of them with cosmic blasts. How are you supposed to keep the Coalition as bad guys when a Cosmo Knight can just waltz right up to Prosek and just kill him in front of everyone without taking 1/10th of his MDC in damage?
Your example assumes an an ****** player.

In my experience, those are the very ones that want to play uber powerful characters like the Cosmo Knight.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Icefalcon
Champion

jaymz wrote:
GenThunderfist wrote:
Not that I really care about whether or not CKs make sense in a Rifts Earth based game, or if I would let my player play one without the rest of the players being around the same power level (I wouldn't).
Railguns can't make up for the rules against hitting something that moves really fast. Even supposing the CK can't go FTL in atmosphere (I don't THINK it can, but don't quote me) they can still hit Mach bull**** and I THINK they can outfly a boomgun....I'll have to look that up later. Anyway, the point being is they can only be hit 5% of the time because they are moving so fast. Sure 5% of 10,000 is 500, but he would still have plenty of time to go around and kill most if not all his/her antagonizers.

You realize there is nothing that says HE wouldn't be just as penalized to hit anything by travelling at those speeds right?

He could just fly into the troops and crush them. No need to bother with an actual attack when you ram people at mach speeds (Mach 1 +1/level to be exact).
GenThunderfist
Dungeon Crawler

Icefalcon wrote:
Jay05 wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:First, I never said FTL from an atmosphere. The group would be doing something on one planet and he would travel to another just to start a fight. Second, you are assuming Rifts Earth. And even if he was on Earth, he would blast all of the debris and ships and everything else out of his way before jumping to FTL flight. Also, if they were on Rifts Earth, it would only require him to fly at whatever crazy Mach speed they are capable of to reach any other spot on Earth to start a fight where he can use a cosmic blast to obliterate anything that anyone could make by Earth standards. Coalition? Gone. NGR? Gone. Japan? Gone. He could destroy any of them with cosmic blasts. How are you supposed to keep the Coalition as bad guys when a Cosmo Knight can just waltz right up to Prosek and just kill him in front of everyone without taking 1/10th of his MDC in damage?

In my experience, those are the very ones that want to play uber powerful characters like the Cosmo Knight.

I'm not trying to but into your argument here. I just wanted to ask ALL people who want to play CKs? I've played CKs before, as well as Fallen CKs and I have to say it was a lot of fun - well in Phase World. I mean, I get if that's been your experience, I just assumed meant something along the lines of "All players who wanted to play Cosmo Knights, while the rest of the party chose Rouge Scholars and a Wilderness Scout" lol

GenThunderfist
Dungeon Crawler

Icefalcon wrote: No need to bother with an actual attack when you ram people at mach speeds (Mach 1 +1/level to be exact).

So, although there's no precedence for this in Rifts because it would be stupid if there had to be; a BoomGun is said to fire at speeds of like Mach 5 I think...so a level 5 (Mach 1 +5 levels) or level 6 if that's how it's written (Mach 1 at lvl.1 then +5 levels) can OUTFLY a Boomgun and cannot actually be hit by the bullets...just fly past their range of 2 miles or so and fly back.

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

GenThunderfist wrote:
jaymz wrote:
GenThunderfist wrote:

Exactly. Following the rules on this subject as they are? It means that the CK can blast away at no penalty and everything else takes massive penalties to hit him. :lol:

I mean, logically speed is realative. But Palladium doesn't really *do* logic. :lol: :lol:

I am not sure that is quite accurate but i don't have time to look it up at the moment.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Icefalcon wrote:
jaymz wrote:
GenThunderfist wrote:

He could just fly into the troops and crush them. No need to bother with an actual attack when you ram people at mach speeds (Mach 1 +1/level to be exact).

He would still take physical damage from the ram being mdc striking mdc.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Icefalcon
Champion

GenThunderfist wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:
Jay05 wrote:

I'm not trying to but into your argument here. I just wanted to ask ALL people who want to play CKs? I've played CKs before, as well as Fallen CKs and I have to say it was a lot of fun - well in Phase World. I mean, I get if that's been your experience, I just assumed meant something along the lines of "All players who wanted to play Cosmo Knights, while the rest of the party chose Rouge Scholars and a Wilderness Scout" lol

No, I have had players who had a CK and played it successfully. It is usually the ones that want to play one during a game where everyone else is a normal human of one OCC or another (such as Scholar, Scientist, Wilderness Scout, Special Forces, Mercenary Soldier or other lower powered characters). While I am not opposed to the playing of Cyber Knights, I feel they should only be used in the Phase World setting and in the proper context to the rest of the party.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

I'd have to ask how if this guy would go around wiping out kingdoms how he wouldn't be targeted for elimination. It's one thing to go do it but after a few times someone is going to go after him. He isn't invincible or invulnerable.

\m/
Icefalcon
Champion

jaymz wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:
jaymz wrote:
GenThunderfist wrote:

He would still take physical damage from the ram being mdc striking mdc.

True enough. However, I think his MDC will outlast the people he is ramming. Not to mention if he flew into Prosek's "throne room" in Chi-Town. How many of those people do you actually believe would be in their armor? Maybe the guards. Definitely not Prosek himself.
GenThunderfist
Dungeon Crawler

Icefalcon wrote:
GenThunderfist wrote:

No, I have had players who had a CK and played it successfully. It is usually the ones that want to play one during a game where everyone else is a normal human of one OCC or another (such as Scholar, Scientist, Wilderness Scout, Special Forces, Mercenary Soldier or other lower powered characters). While I am not opposed to the playing of Cyber Knights, I feel they should only be used in the Phase World setting and in the proper context to the rest of the party.

That's what I thought was the case, because true Phase World Cosmo Knight campaigns (fallen or true) are fun to actually play. Just saying the Cosmo Knight is based on Rifts Earth and he goes hand to hand with Karl Prosek daily? Ehhh...no. :P

GenThunderfist
Dungeon Crawler

jaymz wrote:I'd have to ask how if this guy would go around wiping out kingdoms how he wouldn't be targeted for elimination. It's one thing to go do it but after a few times someone is going to go after him. He isn't invincible or invulnerable.

That's the thing, there's not much on Rifts Earth that could stop him. A Cosmo Knight is made to protect the Cosmic Forge and fight Universe Ending threats. Nothing on Rifts Earth that would take the time out of it's busy day would have the power to deal with that. I mean maybe Splynn...and that's only if the CK went and started messing with him...I don't think he'd care if the CS got wiped out. And Naruni would actually then sponsor the CK if he asked haha. They give awesome discounts for that sort of thing. The LotD might kill him, but he's kind...well...underwater and far away from the ability to grab the CK and if he did try to break his mind or whatever I think the CK would just get Sea Inquisitor (name wrong?) powers for it...I guess if the Calgary Rift started spitting out full blown Demon Lords of Hell. CKs are weak to magic...I think...don't have book in front of me, but I think they take full damage from magic, so I guess the Federation of Magic would be able to at least deal with him EASIER than everyone else, and might kill him...maybe...just spam Called Lightning which can't miss and just DO damage to him. :lol:

I'm not trying to say it's not POSSIBLE to kill him. I'm just saying he's going to make it pretty far into this whole mess before he gets dead.

Icefalcon
Champion

jaymz wrote:I'd have to ask how if this guy would go around wiping out kingdoms how he wouldn't be targeted for elimination. It's one thing to go do it but after a few times someone is going to go after him. He isn't invincible or invulnerable.

True enough. Although to kill a guy like that a GM has to pull the "finger from the sky crushes you approach". Meaning, you have to design a killing type encounter (railguns, missiles, magic or whatever). Then you listen to the player whine about purposefully killing his character. My whole point to begin with was to illustrate why I don't let my players have "anything" they want. It is just easier as a GM to limit choices in the beginning so I don't have game-breaking players or GM "smiting" going on in the first place.
Icefalcon
Champion

Also keep in mind, while this guy is causing problems and making entire nations hunt him what it is doing to his Rogue Scholar and Wilderness Scout buddies. What happens to them in all of this?
Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

Icefalcon wrote:
Jay05 wrote:

I enjoy the hell out of playing powerful characters, in fact I prefer it. I do however enjoy the comraderie of the group. Thus I work to use my character's skills/powers to the BENEFIT of the group as a whole. Not the detriment. Thus I would never pull the kind of crap you discribe.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Jay05 wrote:I enjoy the hell out of playing powerful characters, in fact I prefer it.

Not to butt in, but... why exactly?
What's the draw that makes Cosmo-Knights so much more appealing to you than Wilderness Scouts, Line Walkers, etc.?
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Cosmo-knights are very, very powerful, but a single one can not take on all of Chi-town (which is what a full frontal assault to kill the emperor amounts to). That's ridiculous.
- If I never hear real world military buffs complaining about Rifts weapons technology again it'll be too soon
- Rifts isn't Warhammer 40K. Try to remember that.
- In vino veritas, and I am hammered!
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Icefalcon wrote:

True enough. Although to kill a guy like that a GM has to pull the "finger from the sky crushes you approach". Meaning, you have to design a killing type encounter (railguns, missiles, magic or whatever). Then you listen to the player whine about purposefully killing his character. My whole point to begin with was to illustrate why I don't let my players have "anything" they want. It is just easier as a GM to limit choices in the beginning so I don't have game-breaking players or GM "smiting" going on in the first place.

I don't have too. All it takes is Splynncryth taking notice and deciding he doesn't want the power balance of Rifts Earth upset by this rogue Cosmo-Knights actions and voila, no finger of god just a pissed off Splugorth. Unless you think a Splugorth isn't capable of arranging the downfall of a CK?

Mind you IIRC Cosmo Knights aren't supposed to go around doing as this guy would be doing. More like the Superman approach, you cannot interfere in the world's own development only in righting injustices. Killing Prosek is not righting injustices just as Superman not going and killing the leader of China (or the USSR back in the day) is not righting injustices. I'd think the Cosmic Forge would frown upon that quite a bit. Prosek is a tyrant and dictator, but just imagine the carnage if the CS DIDN'T exist as it does?

EDIT _ and for the record iirc, Splynncryth prefers things as they are. Better the devil you know (the CS) than the one you don't (Whoever steps up to fill the void left by the destruction of the CS). Mind you unless the CK is also going to hunt doewn Joseph and the entire ruling class the CS will likely continue unabated. Doesn't sound noble to me but something that the Forge would definitely strip him of his powers for.
Last edited by jaymz on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

\m/
Icefalcon
Champion

The way a OCC is supposed to act and the way the players portray that class or two entirely different things. Besides, most of you are missing my point. It is not about the Cosmo Knight itself, it is about allowing the players anything they want.
GenThunderfist
Dungeon Crawler

Talavar wrote:Cosmo-knights are very, very powerful, but a single one can not take on all of Chi-town (which is what a full frontal assault to kill the emperor amounts to). That's ridiculous.

When you fly faster than most anything on the planet? All you have to do is fly into the Throne Room/Palace, blast through any walls that are in your way, blast Prosek in the face, and then fly away fast. It's not a full scale assault, it's running it, kill all the important players, and running away so fast that nothing can catch you, and the few guards that ARE in your way arn't going to do much of anything against you, most use lasers and the few that use projectile based rounds aren't going to amount to much.

Icefalcon
Champion

GenThunderfist wrote:
Talavar wrote:Cosmo-knights are very, very powerful, but a single one can not take on all of Chi-town (which is what a full frontal assault to kill the emperor amounts to). That's ridiculous.

When you fly faster than most anything on the planet? All you have to do is fly into the Throne Room/Palace, blast through any walls that are in your way, blast Prosek in the face, and then fly away fast. It's not a full scale assault, it's running it, kill all the important players, and running away so fast that nothing can catch you, and the few guards that ARE in your way arn't going to do much of anything against you, most use lasers and the few that use projectile based rounds aren't going to amount to much.

Exactly.
GenThunderfist
Dungeon Crawler

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Jay05 wrote:I enjoy the hell out of playing powerful characters, in fact I prefer it.

What's the draw that makes Cosmo-Knights so much more appealing to you than Wilderness Scouts, Line Walkers, etc.?

Just for my two cents on the draw of power is that "hit with stick" is a pretty simple, low level, and effective tactic. Every role playing problem can be solved by killing the source of the inconvenience and moving on. Sure, it's not the most tactful, but it's elegance is in it's simplicity.

Do you eat an apple, or a fruit. I kill the salesman and take both.

Do you help the small orphan boy find his long lost parents? I pick the orphan up, use him as ransom when I find the parents, and then kill all of them to get the money I want.

Do you take the left, or right path? I blast a hole in the wall down the center.

Granted, most of the senarios and the ensuing butchering are stupid,evil, and just simply shouldn't be done, but it's just showing a point of brute strength solves all problems. :lol:

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

GenThunderfist wrote:

Sounds like the actions of a CK wanting the forge to strip of his power. Assassinations aren't exactly all that noble or honourable. Hell the alignment restriction alone would prevent him from doing this. :lol:

\m/
Icefalcon
Champion

jaymz wrote:
GenThunderfist wrote:

Sounds like the actions of a CK wanting the forge to strip of his power. Assassinations aren't exactly all that noble or honourable. Hell the alignment restriction alone would prevent him from doing this. :lol:

If the CK was being played correctly, yes. I can sit there all night at a game and warn the player "If you do this, the Forge will strip your power". They will still go ahead and do it and then whine when I take their powers away.
Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

I've stated in other threads, my view on it is simply this; we live in the real world with real world disabilities or detriments of one type or another. Why the hell would I not want to play a character who has abilities that surpass human vulnerabilities and frailties. In an environment where, without expensive armor or big PPE reserves the classes you describe can be one hit killed by a large amount of adversaries. There is a certain issue of survivability. If thinking about not having to roll another PC up after a character I've put work into ends up dead makes me a munchkin well alright then. I guess I have a lot of experience with killer GMs. Of course we're speaking Rifts specifically. Playing in an SDC environment however I actually enjoy playing the "Street level" characters (physical training,special training, etc)
GenThunderfist
Dungeon Crawler

jaymz wrote:
GenThunderfist wrote:

Well...kind of :lol: The roleplaying requirements, although generally strict, also are arbitrary. The CK get's enough D-Bees and Magic Users saying things like how evil the CS is, and sees the CS buring through the 'Burbs and slaughtering innocent D-Bee children (all of which happen often according to a few CS books) then he can do something about it. The way to get around an assassination? Go after any of the key players in the CS. They aren't written up as Aristocratic pansies. They are going to fight the CK who will then beat the living hell out of them, if not kill them in self defense. If they do surrender, then it solves the problem still, and there's no negetive reprocussions. The Cosmo Knight leaves, and if they start up again he comes back to beat the living hell out of them.

As long as he doesn't blatantly go on a genocide the people and then install himself as the new God King of Rifts Earth, the Cosmic Forge won't strip him of his power. There are actually only a few sure fire ways to get your power stripped, and killing a few people isn't it.

Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

GenThunderfist wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Just for my two cents on the draw of power is that "hit with stick" is a pretty simple, low level, and effective tactic. Every role playing problem can be solved by killing the source of the inconvenience and moving on. Sure, it's not the most tactful, but it's elegance is in it's simplicity.

Do you help the small orphan boy find his long lost parents? I pick the orphan up, use him as ransom when I find the parents, and then kill all of them to get the money I want.

Do you take the left, or right path? I blast a hole in the wall down the center.

Granted, most of the senarios and the ensuing butchering are stupid,evil, and just simply shouldn't be done, but it's just showing a point of brute strength solves all problems. :lol:
The above does not apply to me.
Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

Icefalcon wrote:
jaymz wrote:
GenThunderfist wrote:

If the CK was being played correctly, yes. I can sit there all night at a game and warn the player "If you do this, the Forge will strip your power". They will still go ahead and do it and then whine when I take their powers away.

And that's when you tell them to find another group.
GenThunderfist
Dungeon Crawler

Jay05 wrote:
GenThunderfist wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

The above does not apply to me.

Oh, I'm sorry if you misunderstood, it wasn't pointed at you or anything, just a general summary of why most people I have ever played with want to be Gods with their PCs was to get out of any roleplaying necessessity. :lol:

Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

Well you quoted KC's question to me and my response. Which brought me to that conclusion. But no prob
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

GenThunderfist wrote:
As long as he doesn't blatantly go on a genocide the people and then install himself as the new God King of Rifts Earth, the Cosmic Forge won't strip him of his power. There are actually only a few sure fire ways to get your power stripped, and killing a few people isn't it.

I;d have to disagree with you there as repeatedly going against your own alignment (and sorry the "from a certain point of view" does not and should not apply here) is the way t get stripped. And what was proposed was more than just killing a few people. It was suggested he was wiping out the NGR the CS so on and so forth. Assassination is assassination regardless of the motives behind it and is going to clash with the alignments.

If the player has an issue with it then they don't understand at all what they hell they are doing or what the character is about and should never have played them in the first place. The onus is on the player to know what they are doing and if after being told flat out the actions will result in X consequences they still go ahead then they have ZERO reason to whine and if they do then kick them to the curb. Either way it isn't the job of the GM to accommodate or break the rules of the game for ONE player to fun. It is NEVER about one player but the group. Individualists like this should stick to console games.

\m/
Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

jaymz wrote:
GenThunderfist wrote:

I;d have to disagree with you there as repeatedly going against your own alignment (and sorry the "from a certain point of view" does not and should not apply here) is the way t get stripped. And what was proposed was more than just killing a few people. It was suggested he was wiping out the NGR the CS so on and so forth. Assassination is assassination regardless of the motives behind it and is going to clash with the alignments.

If the player has an issue with it then they don't understand at all what they hell they are doing or what the character is about and should never have played them in the first place. The onus is on the player to know what they are doing and if after being told flat out the actions will result in X consequences they still go ahead then they have ZERO reason to whine and if they do then kick them to the curb. Either way it isn't the job of the GM to accommodate or break the rules of the game for ONE player to fun. It is NEVER about one player but the group. Individualists like this should stick to console games.
This I agree with 100% and I believe is a principal difference between a power gamer and a munchkin. The power game not only sees but greatly values the group dynamic, a munchkin, not so much.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Icefalcon wrote:
jaymz wrote:
GenThunderfist wrote:

Take it away mid-flight.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:
jaymz wrote:
GenThunderfist wrote:

Take it away mid-flight.

:lol: :ok:

\m/
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Jay05 wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

I've stated in other threads, my view on it is simply this; we live in the real world with real world disabilities or detriments of one type or another. Why the hell would I not want to play a character who has abilities that surpass human vulnerabilities and frailties.

"Why not?" isn't really an answer, it's just another question.
But I'll share my view, since you asked.

Superhuman characters without significant vulnerabilities are often boring and uninspired in my view. They lack significant challenge in the game, so they lack significant opportunity to practice new tactics and new ways of thinking. Such games most often devolve down into what are essentially head-butting contests, where the uber-powerful character attempts to use his uber-powers for everything, and smashes through opposition until he smashes into something tough enough to smash him.
There's no real skill involved as a rule, and nothing particular to take pride in other than character stats... which isn't anything earned, and which doesn't take much in the way of talent, and therefore isn't really anything to take pride in.

In an environment where, without expensive armor or big PPE reserves the classes you describe can be one hit killed by a large amount of adversaries.

Likewise, they can be practically invincible to a wider number of possible adversaries, and can one-hit-kill any number of foes, depending on what they're up against.
And what you're up against is determined by the Game Master, for the most part.
Also, in the real-world and in most movies, heroes can generally be one-hit-killed. But that doesn't stop them from being heroic.
In fact, I'd argue that their very vulnerability creates a good deal of their heroism.
Superman very rarely has his courage tested, for example, because he very rarely runs into anything that's a real threat.
Cops and soldiers, on the other hand, could get taken out pretty much at any time.

There is a certain issue of survivability. If thinking about not having to roll another PC up after a character I've put work into ends up dead makes me a munchkin well alright then. I guess I have a lot of experience with killer GMs. Of course we're speaking Rifts specifically. Playing in an SDC environment however I actually enjoy playing the "Street level" characters (physical training,special training, etc)

To be clear; I'm not calling you a Munchkin. I'm simply trying to determine why you're drawn to certain characters that I have rarely found much appeal in.
And you answer, especially this last part, does shed some light on the subject; I've had some similar experiences.
In D&D 3.x, I played for a couple years with a group where TPKs were not unusual, either because the GM misjudged the power level of the bad guys, or because the PCs charged in recklessly and refused to retreat.
In those games, I would very often try to make as powerful of a character as I could within the constraints of the scenario, but would downplay the power level in order to deceive the GM.
The result was that instead of knowing my actual power level, then misjudging it and throwing threats at me that were completely overwhelming, he would end up underestimating my power level and throwing threats against me that were actually pretty appropriate.
The GMs' actions weren't done out of malice or anything, but rather from what I view as a misplaced perception of how difficult encounters should be. The GMs' perceptions seemed to be that every encounter should have a significant chance of killing one of us, even if we played with an appropriate amount of skill. Kind of a "50% chance of winning is a fair fight" kind of mentality.

So I think that your answer has provided the kind of clarity that I was looking for.

Icefalcon
Champion

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:
jaymz wrote:
GenThunderfist wrote:

Take it away mid-flight.

In the case of my particular example, that is exactly what I did. That is why he whined at me for the next hour about how I was a ****** GM and I shouldn't be running a game. I showed him the door and told him to never return to my table. Other times, I have had players just as hardheaded play some uber powerful character and when I nipped their game-wrecking plans in the bud, they say the same things. I offer to let them run a game whenever they choose. After one night in the GM chair, you would be surprised how many of them change their tune.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Icefalcon wrote:In the case of my particular example, that is exactly what I did. That is why he whined at me for the next hour about how I was a ****** GM and I shouldn't be running a game. I showed him the door and told him to never return to my table. Other times, I have had players just as hardheaded play some uber powerful character and when I nipped their game-wrecking plans in the bud, they say the same things. I offer to let them run a game whenever they choose. After one night in the GM chair, you would be surprised how many of them change their tune.

:ok:

\m/
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Johnnycat93 wrote:
jaymz wrote:Cosmo-knight - magic hurts it. any magic.

Magic hurts everyone else in the party. Unfortunately for the rest of the party, they don't have 600-700 MDC or the ability to fly at the speed of light. Nor can they shoot lasers from their face.
Bargirl - could be the party leader in regards to non combat siuations.

Not really, unless the player chose to play a Human Cosmo-Knight (instead of maxing out his stats by playing some amazing alien race) he will likely have a higher PB and MA. On top of that, they can take ANY skill. This, plus the convenient fact that they are one of the most powerful creatures in the known galaxy and possess a pretty good HF as such, makes them the best candidate for party leader/spokesperson/diplomat.
Neo - combat specialis (cosmo arent known for the subtlety and tactics)

Uhhhh yeah, besiede that a good number of cosmo-knights possess secret identities that allow them to interact with normal folk? Plus they appear as a normal member of the race with no actual detectable powers? Plus they can get, and I can't stress this enough, EVERY SKILL!!!! What could the Neo-Human possibly offer combat wise that the Cosmo-Knight doesn't?
Necro - anti magic but really if the group is good aligned why would there even BE a necro...

I don't have Africa in front of me so I can't speak to the necro's anti-magic capabilities, but I'm guessing that If I did I would not be able to find anything that the Necro can do that isn't solved by a cosmo knight flying in at the speed of light, picking up the mage, and ripping him in half.
dont recall what a reaver is off hand

Reavers are the headhunter-cavalry out of Warlords of Russia. They may be able to pilot really well, but the cosmo-knight can travel at the speed of light so... yeah.
or -

Cosmo - Hulk/Iron man/Thor

plus doctor, operator, weapon specialist, or basically whatever they want to be.
Bargirl - Black widow

I can think of a handful of OCCs that would probably fit Black Widow better than a bargirl
Neo - Capt America

Maybe, but seeing as the Neo-Humans power is directly tied to their lifespan it may be a little difficult
Necro - Magic guy

Okay I'll give you that one, Necromancers are definitely mages.
reaver - ?

Would probably be Iron Man, that is if the Cosmo-Knight weren't such a better Iron Man.
If they can come up with stories for hte Avengers with their differing power levels and abilities then we should be able to for the above group.

The story they wrote was for a movie but the issue is that if you did the characters in the movie with the Rifts system it would be so vastly different that it would be ludicrous. Rifts admits that it is not balanced, and I respect it for it's honesty. And while I'm all for for rag-tag groups of adventurers from every walk of life, the assumption that any game can be balanced and that players will police themselves is a false one.

Since there are so many quotes and I was too lazy busy (yeah...we'll go with that :mrgreen: )to cut it down, I simply highlighted in blue the part of the post I am questioning.

Now correct me if I'm wrong (which is sort of a redundant thing to post on these boards since people won't hesitate to do just that :lol: ) but doesn't the code of the cosmo knight restrict them from taking leadership roles in a group ?
I've never played one and all I know about them is from my GM's NPC/PC (NPC for the game he ran but a PC for the game his buddy ran), not sure if all cosmo knights can't lead or he chose to not have his cosmo knight lead.

Same deal with a Necromancer, wouldn't allowing someone to mess about (would be seen as desecrating by most people) with the dead go against the CK code?

To the original poster: Unless I decide to run a theme game (which I haven't done since I find my group NEVER want to be the same thing i.e. all CS, or any army for that matter, all supers, etc.) I fall into the 'play whatever you want within reason camp'. I don't need to be convinced per se, more along the lines of if you took the effort to come up with a creative/well thought out idea then my answer is going to be an automatic yes.

Now I know some people say "well they convinced you so it's the same thing". Well to that I say the difference may be subtle but there is a difference. It isn't their words themselves that convinced me it's the fact that they put forth the effort. If a player said "I want to be an adult dragon" and I say "why?" and they say "because they are cool/tough, etc." then I say no. However, if they were to say something like "i want to be an adult dragon because I have a concept where the character thinks he is suffering from a curse. He thinks he's 100% human but cursed to switch back and forth between the two forms and it's ironic because the guy pretty much supports the CS and isn't a big fan of D.B.'s"
Yes this sounds a lot like a were wolf kind of scenario (or the plot of Shrek for that matter) and although it may not be the best/most original idea (although I do like the part about being a CS supporter) it does show that person actually put some thought into it and that's good enough of a reason to "convince" me to let them play.

On a side note, why the hate for allowing evil alignments ?
Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

When I GM, I don't allow evil alignments either with the exception of Aberrant. I know Aberrant is evil. No doubt, they're evil, but I feel that the honorable aspect to the alignment allows for the character to work with good aligned characters under specific circumstances.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Personally I usually play unprincipled or anarchist. That way they can generally play by their own rules :D

\m/
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

GenThunderfist wrote:

Who cares how fast a cosmo-knight can fly? Does being fast tell him where in the massive Chi-town arcology Prosek's throne room/command centre is? Does being fast allow him to bypass the thousands of MDC the walls and blast doors of said arcology must have? Or protect him from CS psychics? Or let him sneak in undetected? No.

A cosmo-knight moving at supersonic speeds is going to be detected from really far away, from atmospheric disturbance alone, so sneaking is out. It would take a cosmo-knight rounds and rounds to blast an opening into the fortress city, which is heavily patrolled by aerial units, and presumably guarded with missile batteries and rail gun turrets, among other weapons. The moment a character like this attempted to blast his way in, he'd be attacked by rail gun turrets, missiles, power armours armed with rail guns, CS psychics, normal soldiers - and probably die in a round if he actually tries to make a fight of it. Even if a hole is punched in the entry gates or outer walls, he'd still have to navigate through the warren that is the interior levels, each full of buildings and structures while blindly trying to find Prosek, while all of the CS tries to pin him in and destroy him, including the psi-battalion, which has mind melters. Cosmo-knights have high ME, but they'll fail a psi save eventually. This is a no-win scenario; at best he could run away really fast after taking a pot-shot at the entrance guards or an arcology wall.
- If I never hear real world military buffs complaining about Rifts weapons technology again it'll be too soon
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Cosmo knights are head and shoulders above everyone else except a few gods like the Russian ones in terms of maneuverability and speed and generally I'd limit players choosing them. But they're not invulnerable by a long shot either.
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Mature players are self-limiting.

Let them negotiate with each other what the characters will be.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Icefalcon wrote:

Well if you design an encounter solely to kill someone's character (no matter what the character is) then it's not whining when the player complains it's a justified issue to complain about. It also undermines player confidence in the judge because if he does that to one player he could decide for some reason he doesn't like their character and kill it off in a hopeless situation as well.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Nightmask
Palladin

Jay05 wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

I've stated in other threads, my view on it is simply this; we live in the real world with real world disabilities or detriments of one type or another. Why the hell would I not want to play a character who has abilities that surpass human vulnerabilities and frailties. In an environment where, without expensive armor or big PPE reserves the classes you describe can be one hit killed by a large amount of adversaries. There is a certain issue of survivability. If thinking about not having to roll another PC up after a character I've put work into ends up dead makes me a munchkin well alright then. I guess I have a lot of experience with killer GMs. Of course we're speaking Rifts specifically. Playing in an SDC environment however I actually enjoy playing the "Street level" characters (physical training,special training, etc)

Unfortunately some seem to hold an attitude that characters are disposable and players shouldn't get attached to them because they're supposed to die. I'm sure you've seen people posting 'hey it's Rifts it's supposed to be deadly!' which carries with it unspoken implications that you're not supposed to care about your characters and should expect to roll new ones up because they're supposed to die and trying to pick a character class with a good chance of survival is somehow wrong because if you want to have your character survive because you're actually invested in your creation you're in the wrong.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Nightmask wrote:
Jay05 wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Unfortunately some seem to hold an attitude that characters are disposable and players shouldn't get attached to them because they're supposed to die. I'm sure you've seen people posting 'hey it's Rifts it's supposed to be deadly!' which carries with it unspoken implications that you're not supposed to care about your characters and should expect to roll new ones up because they're supposed to die and trying to pick a character class with a good chance of survival is somehow wrong because if you want to have your character survive because you're actually invested in your creation you're in the wrong.

I wouldnt say its wrong but alot of people think that their characters shouldnt be killed off even if they do something stupid or fight some baddies that are to tough for them , if a dead head transport lands near you and your first thing to do is slap home a new Eclip and charge you should die. but also if your fighting 4 pecos raiders and their are 4 PC's if the raiders constrate fire on the guy in the lightest armor first and move up thats noit the GM killing PC's willy nilly its the same technique alot of players use as its usefull.
As some one else said on here " if your armors being damedged alot your not doing combat right".

Anyhow I dont think its wrong to hold to a char and hope he/she doesnt die and there is nothing wrong with being a power house inless the rest of the party is street level to slightly military grade. And your the immortal flying killing machine with an iq of the earths top scientists. what can they contribute, why would you roll with them, at a certain point its like carying an infant into combat with you. if everyone is playing a power house MDC dragon and tougher and one player says i want to be the ratling street kid with the wilks laser pistol. Well its the same diffrence as allowing overly powerfull chars with lesser people. Why would the dragons and godlings and blah blah's want to cart the guy around with them? they have to protect him , fight for him, fix his mistakes, hes probaly dumber than them, weaker, slower, all around not on their level. its like putting the PeeWee football's best on the field of the NFL and saying its cool he has heart and alot to teach them about team work. No the kids gonna die.
and thats why gm's say no you need something tougher or weaker or more good/evil, less this more that. so you make sense in what they want to run.
Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

Zamion138 wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Jay05 wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

I wouldnt say its wrong but alot of people think that their characters shouldnt be killed off even if they do something stupid or fight some baddies that are to tough for them , if a dead head transport lands near you and your first thing to do is slap home a new Eclip and charge you should die. but also if your fighting 4 pecos raiders and their are 4 PC's if the raiders constrate fire on the guy in the lightest armor first and move up thats noit the GM killing PC's willy nilly its the same technique alot of players use as its usefull.
As some one else said on here " if your armors being damedged alot your not doing combat right".

Anyhow I dont think its wrong to hold to a char and hope he/she doesnt die and there is nothing wrong with being a power house inless the rest of the party is street level to slightly military grade. And your the immortal flying killing machine with an iq of the earths top scientists. what can they contribute, why would you roll with them, at a certain point its like carying an infant into combat with you. if everyone is playing a power house MDC dragon and tougher and one player says i want to be the ratling street kid with the wilks laser pistol. Well its the same diffrence as allowing overly powerfull chars with lesser people. Why would the dragons and godlings and blah blah's want to cart the guy around with them? they have to protect him , fight for him, fix his mistakes, hes probaly dumber than them, weaker, slower, all around not on their level. its like putting the PeeWee football's best on the field of the NFL and saying its cool he has heart and alot to teach them about team work. No the kids gonna die.
and thats why gm's say no you need something tougher or weaker or more good/evil, less this more that. so you make sense in what they want to run.

To a certain extent I both agree and disagree with this. I really believe that like in fiction, RP groups can support multiple power levels. For example a typical JLA team could include characters who fit every category from street level to godling and everything in between. I truly believe that with effort and a spirit of collaboration, a talented gm and talented players can do the same. And I believe it because I've seen it.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Gryphon wrote:As for the Cosmo Knight, when he isn't suited up, he is basically not detectable, and many of them are investigative sorts, as per the comics about them. So he works his way into the burbs to take a look around to confirm the rumors he hears, and gathers intel on the situation. After a time, he decides that the situation is in fact as dire as stated, and opts to move. He (with the potential help of his companions, if he wants to involve them) gathers the information he needs, and then flies up out of the burbs at Mach whatever, blows a hole through Chi-town to get where he wants, eliminates anyone in the throne room we have an image of, freeing the incidental prisoner that might be in sight, and then withdraw at speeds they can't match.

However, more than that, imagine what a single 5-7th level Cosmo Knight could have done accomplished during the Siege on Tolkeen? A few multi mach assaults on various C.S. artillery and staging points, a flight into and out of C.S. territory to eliminate an airfield or two, a couple of interceptions of C.S. supply runs using Death Head Transports, or even a single being run against that massive assault platform, eliminating it by himself. How about he just opts to end the war by making the C.S. turn around and go home instead? So he flies down to a few other C.S. outposts down south and more or less eliminates them in their entirety, forcing the C.S. high command to turn their forces around and defend their holdings. A single moderately experienced Cosmo Knight could have stopped that war cold in a way that even a single experienced hatchling couldn't. A single adult dragon wouldn't necessarily be able to match the sorts of tactics and damage outlays available to a single Cosmo Knight.

I've bolded 2 sections in your statement about a cosmo-knight attacking Chi-town, where you gloss over near impossibilities. A level 15 cosmo-knight does 5d6x10 per blast - they can only supercharge their blasts in space. Even for one of them, blowing a hole in Chi-town would take rounds of doing nothing else - its built to withstand long range missiles and attacks from magic users and supernatural forces (who can cast things like Annihilate) after all. And then Chi-town isn't a pinata with the emperor inside - if you blast through the outer wall, then you're going to have to blast between interior walls, level floors/ceilings, the walls of internal structures - all of which is giving time for the CS to shoot back, and many of those shots will be rail guns and armour-piercing missiles. Finding out where emperor Prosek is headquartered in the fortress city by investigating in the 'Burbs is also nigh impossible. A cosmo-knight sneaking around the the Burbs would be difficult - they are supernatural beings (Phase World pg. 99), and would be dodging psi-stalker/dog boy patrols regularly. The emperor has the entire Federation of Magic gunning for him (practically) - if people with access to magical teleportation haven't pulled it off, one must assume its actually pretty hard to do. Think of what some modern dictators do to avoid assassination - body doubles, random relocations, multiple possible secure residences and command posts.

A cosmo-knight would have had moral trouble working with Tolkeen by the time war actually came around - rampant demon summoning would be an issue, for one. Assuming one did fight for Tolkeen, they could hardly have forced the CS to give up the war single-handed. To actually engage any CS forces meaningfully, a cosmo-knight would have to slow down - at full speed, they'd be flying out of their own range continually. Cosmo-knights also don't get a big dodge bonus (beyond a potentially high PP), which translates to them being fast, but not nimble, flyers. Any time they attack a CS force, they're vulnerable to being counter-attacked themselves - you can't outrun something you're advancing towards; slower aircraft can intercept faster ones when not coming from behind. And while yes, cosmo-knights are very tough, a volley of medium range armour-piercing missiles can still one-shot one. Or when blasting a single Samas to pieces, the other 99 blast him with railguns.

Getting back to the main topic, the biggest problem I've found with GMs allowing high-powered characters is the assumption, often made by both the player and GM, that since they're now playing something "powerful" they're invincible and can do anything. It's wildly off-base, but you end up with things like a GM letting a single cosmo-knight assassinate the CS emperor, or take on Splynncryth in single combat, or some other nonsense. It really comes down to both parties, player and GM, not thinking the setting and characters through.
Nightmask
Palladin

Talavar wrote:
Gryphon wrote:As for the Cosmo Knight, when he isn't suited up, he is basically not detectable, and many of them are investigative sorts, as per the comics about them. So he works his way into the burbs to take a look around to confirm the rumors he hears, and gathers intel on the situation. After a time, he decides that the situation is in fact as dire as stated, and opts to move. He (with the potential help of his companions, if he wants to involve them) gathers the information he needs, and then flies up out of the burbs at Mach whatever, blows a hole through Chi-town to get where he wants, eliminates anyone in the throne room we have an image of, freeing the incidental prisoner that might be in sight, and then withdraw at speeds they can't match.

However, more than that, imagine what a single 5-7th level Cosmo Knight could have done accomplished during the Siege on Tolkeen? A few multi mach assaults on various C.S. artillery and staging points, a flight into and out of C.S. territory to eliminate an airfield or two, a couple of interceptions of C.S. supply runs using Death Head Transports, or even a single being run against that massive assault platform, eliminating it by himself. How about he just opts to end the war by making the C.S. turn around and go home instead? So he flies down to a few other C.S. outposts down south and more or less eliminates them in their entirety, forcing the C.S. high command to turn their forces around and defend their holdings. A single moderately experienced Cosmo Knight could have stopped that war cold in a way that even a single experienced hatchling couldn't. A single adult dragon wouldn't necessarily be able to match the sorts of tactics and damage outlays available to a single Cosmo Knight.

I've bolded 2 sections in your statement about a cosmo-knight attacking Chi-town, where you gloss over near impossibilities. A level 15 cosmo-knight does 5d6x10 per blast - they can only supercharge their blasts in space. Even for one of them, blowing a hole in Chi-town would take rounds of doing nothing else - its built to withstand long range missiles and attacks from magic users and supernatural forces (who can cast things like Annihilate) after all. And then Chi-town isn't a pinata with the emperor inside - if you blast through the outer wall, then you're going to have to blast between interior walls, level floors/ceilings, the walls of internal structures - all of which is giving time for the CS to shoot back, and many of those shots will be rail guns and armour-piercing missiles. Finding out where emperor Prosek is headquartered in the fortress city by investigating in the 'Burbs is also nigh impossible. A cosmo-knight sneaking around the the Burbs would be difficult - they are supernatural beings (Phase World pg. 99), and would be dodging psi-stalker/dog boy patrols regularly. The emperor has the entire Federation of Magic gunning for him (practically) - if people with access to magical teleportation haven't pulled it off, one must assume its actually pretty hard to do. Think of what some modern dictators do to avoid assassination - body doubles, random relocations, multiple possible secure residences and command posts.

A cosmo-knight would have had moral trouble working with Tolkeen by the time war actually came around - rampant demon summoning would be an issue, for one. Assuming one did fight for Tolkeen, they could hardly have forced the CS to give up the war single-handed. To actually engage any CS forces meaningfully, a cosmo-knight would have to slow down - at full speed, they'd be flying out of their own range continually. Cosmo-knights also don't get a big dodge bonus (beyond a potentially high PP), which translates to them being fast, but not nimble, flyers. Any time they attack a CS force, they're vulnerable to being counter-attacked themselves - you can't outrun something you're advancing towards; slower aircraft can intercept faster ones when not coming from behind. And while yes, cosmo-knights are very tough, a volley of medium range armour-piercing missiles can still one-shot one. Or when blasting a single Samas to pieces, the other 99 blast him with railguns.

Getting back to the main topic, the biggest problem I've found with GMs allowing high-powered characters is the assumption, often made by both the player and GM, that since they're now playing something "powerful" they're invincible and can do anything. It's wildly off-base, but you end up with things like a GM letting a single cosmo-knight assassinate the CS emperor, or take on Splynncryth in single combat, or some other nonsense. It really comes down to both parties, player and GM, not thinking the setting and characters through.

Tolkeen wasn't summoning demons until well into the war when the worst of the CS's atrocities were filtering back and they saw the lengths the CS would go to. It wouldn't have affected a Cosmo-Knight getting involved in the fight either since just because Tolkeen eventually had some members summoning demons there were still all those innocents who needed protecting and that's what a Cosmo-Knight does, protect innocents. He wouldn't be blasting into Chi-Town trying to assassinate Prosek though, he'd never be able to find him.

Nightbane makes an effort to point out to the players that just because they have powerful characters with tons of SDC/HP it doesn't take much to whittle that down, something one has to keep in mind for Rifts as well. Players that err in thinking that now that they've got that tough character they can run roughshod over the setting are just begging for a reality reminder that even a character with Invulnerability from Heroes Unlimited can be killed and they likely aren't such a character (and even if they are they're still killable). Particularly if a PC or entire party is running around acting as if it can't be beat because they'll eventually attract forces they can't win out over. If not at first they will eventually end up schooled that they need to pick their battles more carefully (which is likely why so few godlings and demi-gods become full-fledged gods, that arrogance results in them picking a fight they can't win and staying until death is their payment).

Icefalcon
Champion

Jay05 wrote:To a certain extent I both agree and disagree with this. I really believe that like in fiction, RP groups can support multiple power levels. For example a typical JLA team could include characters who fit every category from street level to godling and everything in between. I truly believe that with effort and a spirit of collaboration, a talented gm and talented players can do the same. And I believe it because I've seen it.

I have bolded the area I wish to address. While it might be true in a group where the GM and the players are experienced roleplayers, this does not hold true for people new to a system or new to roleplaying itself. While there are those that have the talent, regardless of previous experience, you are assuming all people involved (GM and players) are above what I consider normal for a group. In every group I have played in, there is at least one munchkin and one inept player. That is every group I have ever played in over the last 23+ years of experience. It includes two different regions of the country, several conventions, and possibly 40+ groups over the years (some branched off from previous groups others I was invited to for a bit). It is all fine and well to have a group that has been together for more than five years, playing the same system, to have a party makeup with disparate power levels. Each person knows what to expect from the GM and the other players. They know what the group will tolerate and what they will not. However, when the group you play with is a bit more in flux (rotating players and GM's, new additions from time to time, player pool lacking in serious players or many other factors) it is a bit difficult to get the group to gel that well. This is the reason most games shoot for balance in the classes as much as possible now. You may or may not agree with that view but there are those that do. I am not one of them. I believe a group can reach a point that they work that well together for the purpose of the story and not their own self-gratification. But in the end, the GM is limited to the type of people he can get into the group.

Return to “Rifts®”