What's Your Favorite Rifts Book?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SmilingJack
Megaversal® Ambassador

What's Your Favorite Rifts Book?

Unread post by SmilingJack »

For any palladium gamer, one of the great joys of role playing is getting that new book which covers your your favorite region, a topic you've been dying to see palladium develop into a book, or a book you always wanted but never had the chance to grab

With that being said.....

What is your favorite Rifts Book and Why?
~ Love Conquers All ~
SmilingJack
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: What's Your Favorite Rifts Book?

SmilingJack wrote:For any palladium gamer, one of the great joys of role playing is getting that new book which covers your your favorite region, a topic you've been dying to see palladium develop into a book, or a book you always wanted but never had the chance to grab

With that being said.....

What is your favorite Rifts Book and Why?

Outside of the Rifts Ultimate Edition, which honestly Is the holy grail of role playing to me,

I don't think any book can compare to the Coalition War Campaign. ever since I first started playing Rifts, I have been absolutely fascinated with the coalition. While some May despise their xenophobic and discriminatory stance, (in my opinion with humans being in a constant state of peril and the survival of our species very much in question in the Rifts world , a unified front to save humanity is a necessity, unfortunately its either kill or be killed, we have to survive and the coalition in north america is humanity's best chance)

One thing no one can deny is that their armaments and mecha Kick so much ass it's not even funny.

I've read and paged through most of the Rifts books, in the only 1 that I absolutely had to have was the coalition war campaign. I remember the first time I read the book literally salivating over the range of Samas Mechs, especially the super samas and the smiling jack from which I took my screenname from. Also the actual firearms like the hellfire plasma cannon and the hellfire mecha just blew me away.

I also really loved not only the older coalition design but the new revamped armor design. I just thought the new death's head motif looked so slick and sophisticated , while still being intimidating

The overall story concept was so significant that it setup a6 book Arc. so not only is the book absolutely awesome, its also very significant in terms of the actual history of Rifts Earth.

honestly it's 1 book that I could not put down, and could read deep into the night.

if I lost my collection of palladium books tomorrow, the coalition war campaign would be the first book I would go out and get.

I just love the range of weapons, huge carrier vehicles, character bios. This book took the concept of the coalition and expanded on it taking it to a completely new level, and adding tremendous depth to the concept of the coalition

Overall just a great book that adds so much to any coalition adventure you may run

This is my favorite Rifts book ever produced
~ Love Conquers All ~
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Guess.

8p
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

The Original Rifts RPG, it had ALL the info I needed to start the game; OCCs, skills, monetary conversions as well as a guide to rolling up bandit NPCs as well as your basic CS soldier. To me the Ultimate Edition falls short of what it COULD have been as much of the info that was in the original RPG was left out.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

In order:

RUE
Mercenaries
Psyscape
Fed of magic
Merctown

Those five books allow me the most variety and ability to run almost any game involving all three categories of tech, Psionics and Magic. Merctown is included as an excellent neutral location for any and all adventures/campaigns to start from.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Rifts japan nuff said
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Witchcraft
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Witchcraft »

I absolutely love Wormwood.
There is no spoon.
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Dimension Book 11: Dyval. :)
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Underseas currently. It was an instant catalyst for adventure possibilities with every page. I would get excited and my mind would wander off into hooks and plots. And they were adventures that I had nowhere near begun to think of until I read it.
Lemuria did it proud as a follow up with the same sort of variety and endless possibilities too. GJ! :ok:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Witchcraft wrote:I absolutely love Wormwood.

As incomplete as it is, Wormwood is far and away my favorite book. So much so that every new Rifts book I get is, in my mind, a Wormwood sourcebook.

Even Splicers, which is a fine book and setting by itself, mostly gets me excited because I think I can use almost all of that material to "reboot" the wormwood setting if I ever get my butt in gear.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Unread post by Athos »

Atlantis
Mercenaries
Wormwood

in no particular order
Blastaar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Home of the Xiticix...
Hudsons Wheigh is located near my actual home of Gillam and not Gitlam

Unread post by Blastaar »

New West
Triax 2

and the upcoming northern guns
Greed is for amateurs. Disorder, chaos, anarchy: now that's fun!
Neo
Explorer
Comment: God I feel old.

Unread post by Neo »

New West with a Vampires chaser.
What the Bloody Hell are you freaks all talking about
-- Rayven

The line I was referring to was the "If I step over this line I officially become so stupid that I no longer have a right to live" line
-- Shaded Helios

mmmm, time to make the chocolate chili. Yup! I prefected it
-- Sara The TG
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Neo wrote:New West with a Vampires chaser.

So Arzo? :lol:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

It's a tie between the RUE for the Techno Wizard Item Creation Rules (had a lot of GM's flat out shoot down my TW suggestions before I had those rules from the RUE) and the Federation of Magic.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Juicer uprising, mercs, wormwood, dragons and gods
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

Phaseworld 1 & 2... essentially my only reason for playing the game.
Dunia
Adventurer

Unread post by Dunia »

Shemarrian Nation
Lemuria
Black Market
RUE
SmilingJack
Megaversal® Ambassador

MaxxSterling wrote:Phaseworld 1 & 2... essentially my only reason for playing the game.

it's funny that you mention this, I was at my mom's place today, go through the garage, and I found My dimension book 2: phase world, I simply forgot how amazing this book was, it's so deep an offer so many options, also the naruni repo bots to me are more frightening than glitter boys

honestly after reading this book today, I want to geT all the books related to the 3 galaxies

although the coalition wAr campaign is my all time favorite, thE phase world books rank right up there
~ Love Conquers All ~
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

RMB and Vampire Kingdoms.
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

Guilty Pleasure: Rifts New west(because come on is Rifts New West ****damnit!)
Serious Pleasure: Rifts Source book 1 (doing an cobra commander impression: AAAAARRRCHHIIIEEEEEE!)
Utility Tool: Rifts Bionics Sourcebook(because I love cyborgs :))
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

keir451 wrote:The Original Rifts RPG, it had ALL the info I needed to start the game; OCCs, skills, monetary conversions as well as a guide to rolling up bandit NPCs as well as your basic CS soldier. To me the Ultimate Edition falls short of what it COULD have been as much of the info that was in the original RPG was left out.

I am right here with you 100%. Rifts to me is perfectly encapsulated in the original rule book. Everything I have ever needed has come from it, and it is just Rifts, just completely Rifts, from the overview of the history and the world, to the explanation of magic, to the Giant Robots, crazy monsters, equipment listings, just all of it. It has the exact character of what Rifts is for me, and every book that comes afterwards I still judge by it.

Whether a book is about Magic, D-Bees, Gear, where in the world it takes place, power level, number of place descriptions/NPC's or world events, the most important thing I think for many people, or at least for me, is the character of each book, more than the mechanics of it, and that rulebook has the perfect character.

After that, the original Sourcebook is probably my favourite. The first Conversion Book is great as well, but i honestly only need about 1/3 of it, so although it has something for everything, I don't rank it too high.

My favourite world books would have to be Lone Star, because I saw it and loved it as a kid, Coalition War Campaign, just because I got it for Christmas and have a huge emotional attachment to it, Psyscape, because I loved Psychics more than anything else when I first got into the game and was super excited for it, and Vampire Kingdoms, because the Vampires really captivated me as a kid.

Of my closest friends, favourite books are Underseas, Canada, the first Sourcebook, Triax and Wormwood.

I also think it's awesome that so many people have such a variety of books as their favourite, really shows the diversity and the strength of the game.
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

It is very difficult to list just one so I will list three:

1) Free Quebec.
2) The Federation of Magic.
3) Lemuria.

It is easier to list the ones I don't like...
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
Levi
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Unread post by Levi »

There are many that I really like and it depends on if I am playing or GMing, and where the game is set. But I would probably go with Source Book 1 because it really captured the original gritty feel of Rifts. Some of the later books sort catch it. But in general the dark, gritty, and dangerous feel of Rifts has faded with each book. It's too bad really.
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

CyCo wrote:Guess.

8p

Is it Rifts: Dimension Book #JA-307020: Tron City ?

The books I use/read over and over the most are, in no particular order,

RMB - the one that started it all for me

Coalition War Campaign & Triax/NGR - third/fourth books I ever owned (got them for my birthday way back in the day) I really like these two books both for OCCs and vehicles/guns/equipment

New West - because lets face it, who doesn't want to be as bad a$$ as Clint Eastwood's 'man with no name' ?

Then I'd say Juicer Uprising and the Merc series.

However, being the nerd that I am, I love all my Rifts books but these are usually my main 'go to' books when starting up a campaign.
The Jack
Wanderer
Comment: Pumpkin King, Pirate Captain, Giant Killer, Frost Spirit, In the Box

Unread post by The Jack »

It is very difficult to pick a favorite. There is a class, race, piece of gear or storyline that I like a great deal in almost every Rifts book. Aside from the main book, I get the most mileage as both a GM and a player from these three:
-Psyscape
-England
-Mercenaries
Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

Man, that's tough, so to shorten the list, everything CJ wrote or contributed to in the case of Underseas for Rifts/Dimensions because I love them, and each added imo indispensably to the Megaverse as a whole. After those in no order Atlantis, for the world info, the Splugorth as a great antagonist, the True Atlanteans, Tattoo magic. Then New West, Spirit West, Lone Star and Arzno for fleshing out most of the west of the continent and adding great classes gear etc. Vampire Kingdoms for everything about it (Yes I like Rifts Vamps as they are. Waiting for Vamp sourcebook to get the update.) I have a few dozen others but those are absolute faves.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Razzinold wrote:

8p

Coalition War Campaign & Triax/NGR - third/fourth books I ever owned (got them for my birthday way back in the day) I really like these two books both for OCCs and vehicles/guns/equipment

New West - because lets face it, who doesn't want to be as bad a$$ as Clint Eastwood's 'man with no name' ?

However, being the nerd that I am, I love all my Rifts books but these are usually my main 'go to' books when starting up a campaign.

I had been waiting for someone to make a comment. lol

Obviously Rifts Australia. In part due to being an Aussie, but also because one of my mates wrote it.
Eureka!
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

CyCo wrote:Obviously Rifts Australia. In part due to being an Aussie, but also because one of my mates wrote it.

Whens writing the next 2??
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Enquiring minds want to know, well, Australian minds like mine and Corsarius :)
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Ben doesn't have anything to do with PB. Search the forums and you'll find that someone else, not even an Aussie, is apparently writing the next books for Oz, if they even get done. Even if approached by PB, which he hasn't been, he'd probably turn them down. He's a pretty busy lad these days.
Eureka!
Snow Hawk
Explorer

Unread post by Snow Hawk »

Canada! The Canada book has inspired me to write so much on the Tundra Rangers that they could have there own book like the CS war campaign
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

To date, my favorite would have to be Triax 2.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

Right now for me its Vampire Kingdoms (Revised), only because next week i'm running a anti-vampire team to clear out a small town of vampires........also the fact that one of the players thinks he knows everything about vampires and how to defeat them (with lasers, AP mini-missiles, etc), boy won't he be surprised when he shoots a vampire :twisted:
The Dragon Has Spoken
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

CyCo wrote:
Razzinold wrote:

8p

Obviously Rifts Australia. In part due to being an Aussie, but also because one of my mates wrote it.

I know, I saw it under the Tron poster, I was just being a smart@$$, lol
Did you catch my little oddball joke ? The full name of the program was TRON-JA-307020 on Flynn's personal server.

I liked the Australia book as well, it's too hard to limit my favourites to just 1 or 2 books.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I think the book that really took me by surprise by how much I liked it and how good it is was warlords of russia. I am not sure what I was expecting of it but it really is an amazing and interesting setting that is very different flavor than most of rifts earth and very russian.

I love the shock trooper borgs which are some seriously bad ass borgs. If I ever was going to be turned into a full borg I want to be something like one of the shock troopers. If I am giving up a bunch of my humanity to be a borg then I want to be the biggest nastiest thing walking around.
velkymx
D-Bee
Comment: Long time player and forever GM for TMNT and RIFTs.

Unread post by velkymx »

Vampire Kingdoms for it's great game changing elements and amazing job in doing vampires. Rifts Japan for it's breathtaking graphics.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

I'd have to say my favourite Rifts book was Atlantis. When it came out it really was bizarre, very creative. The illustrations of these creatures blew me away.
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Razzinold wrote:
CyCo wrote:
Razzinold wrote:

8p

I know, I saw it under the Tron poster, I was just being a smart@$$, lol
Did you catch my little oddball joke ? The full name of the program was TRON-JA-307020 on Flynn's personal server.

I liked the Australia book as well, it's too hard to limit my favourites to just 1 or 2 books.

I didn't quite get it to be honest, but I did think it was either code or something like that from Tron. lol
Eureka!

Return to “Rifts®”