Syfy's Defiance as Rifts inspiration?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Syfy's Defiance as Rifts inspiration?

Unread post by Ravenwing »

Idk about anybody else, but watching this show has got me all fired up to do an old school, post-apocalyptic campaign. Like it was in the old days when MDC gear was rare, and you couldn't throw a stick without hitting a Monster, Alien or Coalition Deadboy.

So far I'm thinking setting my new inspired city in the New West, just trying to think of a city that has a landmark as recognizable as St. Louis and the Arch( Which I'm originally from.). The New West is my favorite part of rifts, and probably the best all around region IMHO, I know others hate it but thats them :P . Hmm, maybe I should set it in Old San Antonio? The Alamo is insanely famous, and that would give the people the inspiration to hold out agasint the vast numbers of foes. But then San Antonio is already taken, just don't remember by who.
Blunt like a Warhammer to the face!

Akashic Soldier is my hero!
Galroth
Adventurer

Re: Syfy's Defiance as Rifts inspiration?

Unread post by Galroth »

Ravenwing wrote:Idk about anybody else, but watching this show has got me all fired up to do an old school, post-apocalyptic campaign. Like it was in the old days when MDC gear was rare, and you couldn't throw a stick without hitting a Monster, Alien or Coalition Deadboy.

So far I'm thinking setting my new inspired city in the New West, just trying to think of a city that has a landmark as recognizable as St. Louis and the Arch( Which I'm originally from.). The New West is my favorite part of rifts, and probably the best all around region IMHO, I know others hate it but thats them :P . Hmm, maybe I should set it in Old San Antonio? The Alamo is insanely famous, and that would give the people the inspiration to hold out agasint the vast numbers of foes. But then San Antonio is already taken, just don't remember by who.

Well farther north there's Mt Rushmore. You could set your game in Rapid City, SD. There's an Air Force base out there now so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that someone founded a PA town out there.
Ravenwing
Hero

Galroth wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:Idk about anybody else, but watching this show has got me all fired up to do an old school, post-apocalyptic campaign. Like it was in the old days when MDC gear was rare, and you couldn't throw a stick without hitting a Monster, Alien or Coalition Deadboy.

Well farther north there's Mt Rushmore. You could set your game in Rapid City, SD. There's an Air Force base out there now so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that someone founded a PA town out there.

How close is Mt. Rushmore to Rapid City? Could you see the memorial from the city? If so that would work really well actually.

Galroth
Adventurer

Unread post by Galroth »

Ravenwing wrote:
Galroth wrote:

How close is Mt. Rushmore to Rapid City? Could you see the memorial from the city? If so that would work really well actually.

You can see the Black Hills from Rapid, but not the monument itself. But that wouldn't prevent people from settling in the mountains for safety during the Dark Ages and just ransacking the old city for salvage.

Edit: For added fun there are quite a few mines in the Black Hills for setting up monster lairs and dungeon delving that makes sense for the setting. Plus you have the Badlands not far away for added fun. I've been thinking about doing a South Dakota game for my group for awhile.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

honestly, rushmore is cool, but i'd base a rifts city around the nearby Crazyhorse memorial, purely because it is less well known and by the time of chaos earth and rifts, it should be finished. :)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Ravenwing
Hero

glitterboy2098 wrote:honestly, rushmore is cool, but i'd base a rifts city around the nearby Crazyhorse memorial, purely because it is less well known and by the time of chaos earth and rifts, it should be finished. :)

lol. good point.

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Ravenwing wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:honestly, rushmore is cool, but i'd base a rifts city around the nearby Crazyhorse memorial, purely because it is less well known and by the time of chaos earth and rifts, it should be finished. :)

lol. good point.

Interestingly enough, it appears in the post-apocalyptic Logan's Run sequels(i.e., the books, not the movie. It's where the super-computer that runs the dystopian society is hidden.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadow Wyrm »

Defiance can be good for visual inspiration for Rifts in my opinion, but when I watch the show, I don't think of it that way.

Defiance is a issue for Rift's as a commercial product. I feel there are two ways it can go. 1. It can put a drive in the market for similar products. Which could lead to much commercial success for Rift's (i.e. Video games, books and even the long awaited movie). 2. It could kill short term commercial interest in the Rift's, because Rift's is a product that is too similar.

We'll just have to wait and see. Hope for the best.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

in my opinion, the show i'd use to help explain rifts would be Samurai Jack. it has the same kind of blends of high tech and supernatural, it has lots of different races from all over, it even has some of the same tropes.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I watched the 2-hour premier and i gotta say it made me want to play Rifts pretty bad. I need a game. :/
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

in most shows/films with heavy CGI the on-site film team tend to either have people on set to fill in for the rough location of the CGI baddies.. or they set up wooden/cardboard dummies for the same.

the main problem still seems to be choreography.. with no one to actually interact with it can get a bit complex and if the choreography isn't handled well you can get some odd visuals

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Rifts®”