A couple of rule based questions

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

NukeBass
D-Bee

A couple of rule based questions

Unread post by NukeBass »

I'm hoping to finally get to play a game (in the Macross setting) when I go visit my brother next week and, in the process of setting up a (pretty basic) adventure and relearning rules (I haven't played Robotech since the early nineties), I came across this auto-dodge feature. In the Shadow Chronicles book it talks, briefly, about the rare auto-dodge that doesn't use up a melee attack, but, in the Macross book, most of the craft have an auto-dodge, even the Male Power Armor. How does this flow within the game play? It seems like, with the high bonuses given to the auto-dodge that this would make most attacks pointless, except for large missile barrages. The other thing I don't understand is that the Veritech in Battloid and Guardian don't have any auto-dodge, but the Male Power Armor and the Battle Pods do. I can see it more for the fighter craft, given their speed and agility, but I don't really understand how it can apply to the others. I've thought about dropping it from my game, but figured I'd get more experienced opinions, first.

I also noticed there is no Mecha Elite listed for the Fighter Pod. Is this because it is treated like a traditional fighter plane?
silvermoon383
Wanderer

Re: A couple of rule based questions

Unread post by silvermoon383 »

Auto-dodge is pretty rare actually, I think the Macross book is the only one to have it show up with any semblance of regularity. In all honesty, I don't find it that overpowered, the auto-dodge bonuses are lower than the standard dodges (which use up an attack), so it balances out.

For example, in my last Robotech game session we went up against 3 Ghosts, and every auto-dodge attempt they made failed, the +3 not coming close enough to being able to counter the players' attack bonuses, while the +7 regular dodge bonus would've been in most cases.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

Only the Auto-Dodge and PP Bonus stack, all other Dodge bonuses do not.
If you fail your Auto Dodge, you don't get a chance to Dodge instead.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Yeah auto-dodge in other games aren't like say the auto-dodge for Juicers in Rifts....it has limited use for saving your ass.....but is useful nonetheless
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
NukeBass
D-Bee

I'll give it a shot, then, and see what happens with it.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

NukeBass wrote: In the Shadow Chronicles book it talks, briefly, about the rare auto-dodge that doesn't use up a melee attack, but, in the Macross book,..

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the mechanics based text are pulled from other lines, where Auto-Dodge is rare. In Robotech 2E that text was carried over (along w/status of guided missiles) from Rifts:UE basically, but may not actually apply.

Auto-dodge is also heavily used in the Masters book. It really looks like TSC/NG should have it as more prevalent than it does based on this since later mecha are supposed to be more maneuverable. And might be from different authors interpretations (KS early vs JM later).
NukeBass
D-Bee

I was looking at it again last night and, in the process, found the answer to my other question about the fighter pod. In SC, there is a bit in the skill section that assigns a generic mecha elite package if one isn't listed for mecha.

It is weird to me that the Battle Pods have auto dodge bonuses and no normal dodge bonuses. There might be a small bonus for the pilot depending on his skills and level. I don't remember it being this complicated 25 years ago!! :)

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”