Revised HU still useful??

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

magictiger
Explorer

Revised HU still useful??

Unread post by magictiger »

Hi Guys,
I was wondering if the older revised heroes unlimited book is still useful for making characters and stuff??

Thanks guys.
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Revised HU still useful??

Unread post by Mediapig71 »

Sure... as I recall, there's not a TON of differences between revised and 2nd edition. 2E has more powers (although many of them are available in other books) and I think some of the Special Training types and Hardware categories are tweaked a bit. But, as I recall, I think I preferred the way those characters were handled in Revised anyway.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

The two adventures are still loads of fun. I also enjoy several of the psychic abilities in that book
more than I do the current psychic powers (Hydrokinesis, Mind Control, Telepathy, etc). Still lots
of good stuff in that book. Equipment is very dated though.
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

Reagren Wright wrote:The two adventures are still loads of fun. I also enjoy several of the psychic abilities in that book
more than I do the current psychic powers (Hydrokinesis, Mind Control, Telepathy, etc). Still lots
of good stuff in that book. Equipment is very dated though.

Yep, I would make the same recommendation, especially for the Hydrokinesis entry, since the version of the power in all the books now is simply stupid.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I still use the Telepathy from revised in my games. It's so much better then the meh version in the rest of the palladium verse.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

All old books in a game line are useful. Old HU is useful for new. Old Rtech is useful for new. RMB is still useful for Rifts.... :)
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

That's interesting, what are the differences between the psychic powers in the two editions?
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

Mediapig71 wrote:That's interesting, what are the differences between the psychic powers in the two editions?

Hydrokinesis is actually a viable power more on par with Pyrokinesis rather than a pale shadow of its former self barely even worthy of being called a minor power.

Telethapy has a greater base range, can facilitate meaningful telepathic communication between multiple people, and is capable of deeper memory scans rather than simple reading of surface thoughts. To be fair, in HU Revised Telethapy is presented as a Major power that would be equivalent to a Super psionic power in the current system rather than the minor Sensitive Telethapy we have now. There is a Super version, Telethapy: Superior, in Rifter 25 that works as a nice update to the HU Revised version and is appropriately powerful.

Hypnosis from HU Revised is far superior to the current Hypnotic Suggestion, due to it's greater range, more clearly defined limits and duration, and it's ability to affect multiple targets as the psychic grows in experience.

I also personally prefer HU Revised weight limits on Telekinesis over the current TK: Super, though there is another version of TK: Super in Rifter #44(I think!) that is even better, IMO.
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Man, I rarely use Psionic characters, either myself or as NPC's, so I hadn't really checked out the psi-powers that much in my HU2e book... Now that I have, some of those powers are a joke! HU is and always has been a "thinking man's" supers game, but come on, these are supposed to be comic book super heroes here! If your power does nothing you couldn't do by hurling a gallon jug of water at someone, it's time to go back to the drawing board. Why were these changes made?
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

The current Hydrokinesis is a great power to have if you go camping. That's about all its good
for. I know they must have decided it was redundant to have Hydrokinesis and Control
Elemental Force: Water because they sort of did the same thing. But one is pretty much
useless accept for going camping. Electrokinesis-impressive, Pyrokinesis-impressive,
Telekinesis (physical or super)-impressive, Hydrokinesis- :x :badbad: .

In BtS the sensitive power of Thought-Reading does a pretty good job replacing the old HU
revised telepathy. In my games whenever anyone has Telepathy, I still allow the HU Revised
telepathic probe part of the power at the cost of 10 ISP and required physical contact. You
also end up hurting the poor victim too.
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Well, they can add psionics to the list of things I'd like to see fixed/improved in Heroes Unlimited: Ultimate Edition
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

HURev. Mystic Study got to know all the circles of summoning and protection, and could learn the Circles of Power.
There was even a random summoning/Demonesque-thingy creation table.

There was also a good section on fighting in vehicles. And there was a space travel page.
Neither are in the HU2.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
magictiger
Explorer

Unread post by magictiger »

Thanks guys. I agree with allot of you. I liked some of the stuff in the revised book better then the new book.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”