Mutant, Alien, oir Experiment

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Mutant, Alien, oir Experiment

Unread post by Mediapig71 »

Just for fun, I'm working on a character who was a human, but had his genes altered by an alien medical device, into alien DNA. Which Power Category do people think would be most appropriate?

Mutant (contact with mutagenic substance)

Experiment (accidental experiment)

Alien (since his DNA is now identical to the aliens, just write him up as one.)

Personally, I'm leaning towards mutant, but I'd like to hear other opinions...
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Re: Mutant, Alien, oir Experiment

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Mediapig71 wrote:Just for fun, I'm working on a character who was a human, but had his genes altered by an alien medical device, into alien DNA. Which Power Category do people think would be most appropriate?

Mutant (contact with mutagenic substance)

Experiment (accidental experiment)

Alien (since his DNA is now identical to the aliens, just write him up as one.)

Personally, I'm leaning towards mutant, but I'd like to hear other opinions...

Alien
with the sub-class experiment
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

I'd go the reverse on that. Experiment main, Alien sub category.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

The problem I have with "Alien" is that, by the book, there's no way to give them an earth type educational background.

I mean, obviously, I can swap in whatever I want, but for the purposes of discussion, let's assume we're going by the rules as written.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

You should probably do Experiment then. Doesn't matter who did the experimenting, the result is the same.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Alrik Vas wrote:You should probably do Experiment then. Doesn't matter who did the experimenting, the result is the same.

Yeah... Just straight experiment.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

The problem I have with "Alien" is that, by the book, there's no way to give them an earth type educational background.

I mean, obviously, I can swap in whatever I want, but for the purposes of discussion, let's assume we're going by the rules as written.

Out of curiosity, what education did you have in mind for the guy? Some match up with the Alien options better than others.
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Well, originally I was thinking he was an active duty navy seal, but I reconceived him as a former navy diver, now a marine biologist / undersea explorer.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

for character creation i would go with Alien Experiment, humanlike(no appearance bonuses), alien homeworld bonuses/penalties but use a standard education and of course no alien equipment.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

Mediapig71 wrote:Well, originally I was thinking he was an active duty navy seal, but I reconceived him as a former navy diver, now a marine biologist / undersea explorer.

Hmm. Y'know, you could pretty much cover that with the entirely human education of an Analytical Genius: you'd get marine biology by getting Biology in the default package deal, can pick up Swimming and Swimming Advanced by opting for the Physical skill program, and (thanks to Intelligence) would have the working knowledge of an experienced Navy vet: knowing the marks to identify officers and enlisted men by their specific military units and special-forces status, knowing how to follow proper procedures for everything from handling prisoners of war to mundanely reporting in with one's group leader, knowing the relevant counter-intelligence measures to take while practically assessing sights and sounds at sea, and so on.

He boxed in the Navy? Okay, add Boxing. He trained in ship repair and underwater construction? Shucks, fixing and building stuff is pretty much the whole point of an Analytical Genius.

And an Alien built as a by-the-book AG would -- have the exact same skills.

He's no different when it comes to Researching whatever info can already be found about this or that undersea location. He's no different at Reading Sensory Equipment on whatever sub he then operates when exploring to find out the rest. He handles a rifle and a radio as if he's been through basic training. He plays medic if a buddy gets injured. You name it, he may as well be a regular human; the only real difference is that -- "since his DNA is now identical to the aliens" -- you can throw in an alien appearance and unearthly-environment physiological modifications.
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Thanks everyone... I think I'm going to go with Experiment, as some of the side effects could fit well with the character. Maybe I'll post his stats when I'm done!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

My first thought was it would be a Eugenics power cat.

But if only the DNA was re-written, then it would be an experiment. Any powers gained would be from the race's natural powers (does not include any environmental bonuses of the race's for the most part), and those powers the race is predisposed to have.

Any side effects would be to have the genomic changes start changing the body towards what the alien race would look like.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”