Auto Body Flip - P.P. Bonus?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Auto Body Flip - P.P. Bonus?

Unread post by The Beast »

Battle Thrall wrote:Rules clarification question. Does your Physical Prowess bonus add to your Automatic Body Flip/Throw dice roll? And if so or if not, is this spelled out clearly anywhere in any of the books?
:?
Thank you!

I think it should. It gets added to almost all other attacks.
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mediapig71 »

I don't even remember... how does auto-body flip work in general again?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The short answers come in two flavors. "Yes" and "No".

It all depends if the View point is "as a AR Rules Lawyer" or "or "looking at the spirit of the rules".
AR RL: The PP bonus only applies to a Strike, a normal Dodge, or a normal Parry.
Spirit: The basic PP bonus in meant to apply to all combat rolls except Initiative.

It all in how you read the rules.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mediapig71 »

Isn't the bodyflip thing a percentage chance?
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

by the book, P.P. bonus does get added to auto dodge. I would allow it to be added to auto body flip.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Mediapig71 wrote:Isn't the bodyflip thing a percentage chance?

You're thinking of flipping as in Gymnastics or Acrobatics.

Body Flip/Throw is a martial arts maneuver that takes your opponent to the ground. It's an attack (and in rare cases, a defense) so it uses PP bonuses.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

NMI wrote:by the book, P.P. bonus does get added to auto dodge. I would allow it to be added to auto body flip.
But that's because auto-dodge is a dodge. =/ Flips aren't dodges. Strikes and dodges (and I guess parries) are more instinctive forms of combat and benefit from reflexes.

PP doesn't add to everything. There are moves in the Taido martial art that PP explicitly does not add to. I imagine it works the same for flip/throw.

But no worries, there's always soft chi to stand in for your lack of PP.

Alrik Vas wrote:Body Flip/Throw is a martial arts maneuver that takes your opponent to the ground. It's an attack (and in rare cases, a defense) so it uses PP bonuses.
Not all attacks use PP bonuses. Guns for example. Body flip is another one of those, unless we can find a statement somewhere explicitly telling us that it can.

Anything referring to a flip/throw as a form of 'strike' for example, would qualify it.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
The Beast

NMI wrote:by the book, P.P. bonus does get added to auto dodge.

Not unless you have a mutant power that allows it...
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Heroes Unlimited 2nd Edition, white cover - page 67

When a character is trying an automatic dodge, only the automatic dodge bonuses and his P.P. bonuses (if any) are used.

"automatic dodge bonuses" would include powers and any bonuses they state add to Automatic Dodge.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
The Beast

NMI wrote:Heroes Unlimited 2nd Edition, white cover - page 67

When a character is trying an automatic dodge, only the automatic dodge bonuses and his P.P. bonuses (if any) are used.

"automatic dodge bonuses" would include powers and any bonuses they state add to Automatic Dodge.

Yeah, it was early when I posted that and I inserted a "not" in your post... :oops:

But there is at least one mutant power that doesn't allow the PP bonus to auto-dodge. I can't recall which one off the top of my head though.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

NMI wrote:Heroes Unlimited 2nd Edition, white cover - page 67

I always hated that as it lacked consistency with how parry/auto-parry are treated.

Not to mention it conflicts with other Palladium material, like Juicers and Reavers in Rifts/Warlords of Russia, whose autododges clearly are designed to incorporate normal dodge bonuses, even if that did later get retconned.

Rappanui wrote:Automatic body flip is basically a parry that throws the person if it succeeds. if you fail your opponents' roll, you fail to grab and throw

and a dodge is basically a parry that lets you avoid physical contact if you succeed
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”