New Heroes Unlimited books coming...

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

New Heroes Unlimited books coming...

Unread post by Mediapig71 »

I was very excited to hear about new Heroes Unlimited books in the weekly update... thanks Palladium, I'm looking forward to adding them to my collection! Does anybody have any inside info as to what they might be? I'm assuming Hardware Unlimited is one...
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: New Heroes Unlimited books coming...

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

There have been vague references to books in the works in the weekly update for the past couple years. I'm not holding my breath, though. Until they announce specific titles, I think they are just blowing smoke.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Not that announcing specific titles means the vaporware phase has ended. :D

I always feel bad when the weekly updates hook another one.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

*yawns*....I will celebrate it's coming when there is something definite said about a new HU book.
But until then *shrugs*
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I'll celebrate when it's sent to the printers. :p

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Daniel Stoker wrote:I'll celebrate when it's sent to the printers. :p

Daniel Stoker

Isn't that the deffinition of "something definint" to the old hands here? :D :lol: :P
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Could be? I learned not to assume a while back. ;)

Daniel Stoker
Gazirra
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it.
-Groucho Marx

Unread post by Gazirra »

As much as I love palladium, and especially KS's enthusiasm, I'm gonna have to agree with both Mediapig and the others here. To have the weekly update hint at HU books is amazing, as a fanboy. But as a consumer, PB has a horrible track record as far as the release rate of new material
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Oh sure, believe me, I know it's far from a sure thing at this point. But just to hear him talk more about the game was at least a step in the right direction. For months it's been nothing but "Rifts & Robotech." Fingers crossed!
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

I'm agreeing with the masses that I'll believe it when I actually see the book in print. Of course
I have an invested interests in Heroes Unlimited Books.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Daniel Stoker wrote:Could be? I learned not to assume a while back. ;)

Daniel Stoker

I will be mildly pleased if there is a new HU book announced with a definite name...but with the "hints" that were in the weekly update *shrugs* nothing to bat an eyelash over.

But like most other old hands, I won't get excited till I get it in my hands.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I will be mildly pleased if there is a new HU book announced with a definite name...but with the "hints" that were in the weekly update *shrugs* nothing to bat an eyelash over.

And to me a definite name doesn't mean all that much, but if we do get something I will be happy... so fingers crossed.

Daniel Stoker
PapaMambo
Dungeon Crawler
Location: Winter-peg.. or Winnipeg for those not in the know..

Unread post by PapaMambo »

I think the biggest problem with the delays in any and all titles (not just HU) has been the fact that KS has to have his hand in every pie. It's time to hire editors (plural) who can handle the different titles, and look for things like continuity etc. He doesn't have to write (or in many cases rewrite) every damn book that comes off Palladium's presses.

Still waiting for Warpath, Recon, and any other number of titles.. Time to hand things off to someone else and take a vacation Kev. Things would get done.

But that's just my 2 cents.

/rant off
"It isn't the bullet with his name on it that the professional soldier has to fear. It's all those addressed 'To Whom it May Concern'" - Anonymous
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

PapaMambo wrote:I think the biggest problem with the delays in any and all titles (not just HU) has been the fact that KS has to have his hand in every pie. It's time to hire editors (plural) who can handle the different titles, and look for things like continuity etc. He doesn't have to write (or in many cases rewrite) every damn book that comes off Palladium's presses.

Still waiting for Warpath, Recon, and any other number of titles.. Time to hand things off to someone else and take a vacation Kev. Things would get done.

But that's just my 2 cents.

/rant off
Agreed. It is a fairly well known fact that he has numerous manuscripts on his desk at any given time, but he does not release them without his personal interference/influence, which in many cases is totally unnecessary.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Reagren Wright wrote:I'm agreeing with the masses that I'll believe it when I actually see the book in print. Of course
I have an invested interests in Heroes Unlimited Books.

UPDATE: Heroes Unlimited™ from Palladium Books® Weekly Update – June 14, 2013
By Kevin Siembieda

Thomas Morrison, gamer, freelance writer and all around good guy, gave us a nice surprise when
he dropped by the office yesterday with his two boys, Alex and Joshua. It was a big surprise
because Tom lives in Florida, but is in town visiting family. He contributed the Heroes Unlimited
article to The Rifter® #62 which I love. Tom and I talked about him doing some more Rifter®
articles as well as a Heroes Unlimited™ sourcebook for next year. I also have another freelance
writer working on a Heroes Unlimited™ sourcebook and there is a manuscript or two under
consideration by a third freelancer (yes, that’s you, Glen). Heroes Unlimited™ turns 30
next year and we’d like to celebrate with a few new titles for it (especially after being unable to
do likewise for Palladium Fantasy® this year).

Like I said, I have a very INVESTED interest in getting some new HU books out. :D
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Yes, that was the update which inspired the conversation. Very good. I still think that at the rate they put out books they will be lucky to get one out, let alone several.
PapaMambo
Dungeon Crawler
Location: Winter-peg.. or Winnipeg for those not in the know..

Unread post by PapaMambo »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Yes, that was the update which inspired the conversation. Very good. I still think that at the rate they put out books they will be lucky to get one out, let alone several.

I think that goes doubly so for the amount of time and effort they're putting into the Robotech Tactics game. I don't imagine we'll see a lot come off the presses in the next year or so that is HU related.
"It isn't the bullet with his name on it that the professional soldier has to fear. It's all those addressed 'To Whom it May Concern'" - Anonymous
Reagren Wright

Some people like world books, other don't. Kevin always envisioned HU to be a universal game. So
if you want to play a Marvel/DC type game, or something like Watchmen, or how ever you want.
Kevin sort set up a "world picture view" with Villains Unlimited. This world gets expanded upon in
Alien Unlimited. Later Bill Coffin makes an actual city in Century Station and Gramercy Island.
Mutant Underground is sort of an in between book with ideas and some mentioning of world ideas.
My idea was to bridge/link all the books together and give them a common thread. Some
may like it and others may not.
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

I think I'd rather see a series of books detailing traditional comic book locations, rather than an all encompassing "World Book."

An Atlantis / Undersea kingdom book
A jungle island / Animal Empire book
A Subterranean kingdom / Lost World book, etc.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

An undersea kingdom book would be cool, as would a journey to the center of the earth/mole people book.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Mole people? So we're doing a New Jersey book? :p

Daniel Stoker
Matt
D-Bee
Comment: Let's all have fun our own way and maybe, if we're lucky, sometimes those ways will intersect.

Unread post by Matt »

RGG wrote:You know what book is really missing for HU...
The World book!

We have one stinking city, we have one stinking prison.... what about the bigger world???
Make the world book man!

Rifts gives a whole world and several hints to dimension and rifts and more...
HU needs a world book - Get on it already... 20+ years later... sheesh! :wink:

Do "world books" sell well? I personally have no interest in buying a book about someone else's campaign setting...more interested in tools I can use for my own. Yes, some say books like Freedom City have tools and ideas, but to me all those pages about heroes and villains and politicians and mutant academies are just wasted space as I'll never use 'em. I'd rather a book of adventures or brief scenarios I can expand upon or be inspired by or string together.
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

I wouldn't mind new city/area books. They are always good to mine for ideas, even if I don't use them. I'd especially love an undersea/Atlantis book for HU (different than Rifts Atlantis)
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Daniel Stoker wrote:I'll celebrate when it's sent to the printers. :p

Daniel Stoker

:ok:
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Skraypers 2: Tarlok Empire. Please make, Palladium.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Mediapig71 wrote:I wouldn't mind new city/area books. They are always good to mine for ideas, even if I don't use them. I'd especially love an undersea/Atlantis book for HU (different than Rifts Atlantis)

This Could be interesting if done right.

RGG wrote:
You know what book is really missing for HU...
The World book!

We have one stinking city, we have one stinking prison.... what about the bigger world???
Make the world book man!

Rifts gives a whole world and several hints to dimension and rifts and more...
HU needs a world book - Get on it already... 20+ years later... sheesh! :wink:

Matt
Do "world books" sell well? I personally have no interest in buying a book about someone else's campaign setting...more interested in tools I can use for my own. Yes, some say books like Freedom City have tools and ideas, but to me all those pages about heroes and villains and politicians and mutant academies are just wasted space as I'll never use 'em. I'd rather a book of adventures or brief scenarios I can expand upon or be inspired by or string together.

I could see world books working. But as matt says they need tools and a purpose. Have them books based on each continent. Each lists that continents heroes, villians, the Major Groups like Scret and as matt says...adventures and tools to help out.

Companies like Fabricators could be like the NG book, and ad adventures, heros/villians and the ussual stuff. the other option would be upteen books on each city like Vampire did...which would not be used best in HU style.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

What about Aliens Unlimited2,it can add New Aliens,New Power block,New Ships.

What do you want to see in it?
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

gaby wrote:What about Aliens Unlimited2,it can add New Aliens,New Power block,New Ships.

New races would be nice..but maybe just update the unverse and have some serious changes. Several alien races are said to be a threat. Warmonger, and a few others in gram island are said to be of races striving to conquer. Lets see a galactic war..

and may whatever flying spaghetti monster you believe in save your soul..
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
arouetta
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by arouetta »

Rimmerdal wrote:
gaby wrote:What about Aliens Unlimited2,it can add New Aliens,New Power block,New Ships.

New races would be nice..but maybe just update the unverse and have some serious changes. Several alien races are said to be a threat. Warmonger, and a few others in gram island are said to be of races striving to conquer. Lets see a galactic war..

and may whatever flying spaghetti monster you believe in save your soul..

If memory serves, they hinted at several AU books, at least one dealing with the Atorian Empire and one dealing with the Andromeda Galaxy. I would love that.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

When it comes to the Atorian Empire, there was going to be at least 2, if not 3 books at one point.

1. Big general overview of the Empire, the empresses, history, some of their tech.
2. A book dedicated to their technology and more - more spacecraft, power armor, robots, cyborgs, etc...
3. Allies and Enemies
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Reagren Wright

:badbad: Once again we have to hear from the man with an original copy of the manuscript. Some
body please get this book published so we can cut this guy's bragging rights.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Reagren Wright wrote::badbad: Once again we have to hear from the man with an original copy of the manuscript. Some
body please get this book published so we can cut this guy's bragging rights.

But I didnt say I own the manuscript this time. I merely stated what has been stated elsewhere.

Though now that you mention it, my printed out copy of the Atorian Empire manuscript is sitting on my desk shelf in front of me.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Gazirra wrote:As much as I love palladium, and especially KS's enthusiasm, I'm gonna have to agree with both Mediapig and the others here. To have the weekly update hint at HU books is amazing, as a fanboy. But as a consumer, PB has a horrible track record as far as the release rate of new material

Agreed and seconded. Kevin has a habit of promising too many releases. They lack the time, resources and manpower .
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Reagren Wright

Kevin has always insisted that Rifts of course is the #1 seller then it fluxs between Heroes and Fantasy, although if that
where true then those two genres would have at least one book out each every year. Instead it seems to be Rifts which
shared its audience with Phase World, then Robotech and Dead Reign based on the number of books that come out each
year. Unfortunately you can't determine fan numbers based on the post on the board. Then again we never see the true
sales numbers that's some only the wise Kevin would know for sure.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”