Love Live Alive and the RDF/UEDF

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MikeM
Dungeon Crawler

Love Live Alive and the RDF/UEDF

Unread post by MikeM »

I'm watching Robotech: Love Live Alive and they constantly say Robotech Defense Force and Robotech Expeditionary Force.
I prefer it to United Earth Defense Force and United Earth Expeditionary Force.

So, my question is why do the Palladium books say UEDF and UEEF?

Is this something HG mandated but then didn't follow themselves?
SRoss
Knight

Re: Love Live Alive and the RDF/UEDF

Unread post by SRoss »

Likely a matter that a lot of the footage in Robotech: Live, Love, Live was older stuff from before they switched to UEDF and UEEF.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Nope, cause I remember the term RDF being used during the new footage for the Invid Invasion itself and REF being used by Lancer during the interview. Lancer even uses the term 'Robotech Defenders', something I'm pretty sure only the Narrator used during the Tv series.
MikeM
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MikeM »

Rabid Southern Cross Fan is correct.
Personally I never stopped using RDF/REF anyway, just wished it used that term in the Palladium books too.
MilkManX
Wanderer
Comment: Not a fan boy or a purist. I like to play Robotech because the game world is fun and interesting much like the 1985 show.

Unread post by MilkManX »

I prefer RDF/REF and feel that the UEFF was something to try and make the Macross and New Gen units seem more like they came from the same source.
http://robotechfans.proboards.com

You're out here on your own.
Lonely soldier boy.
Sgt Anjay
Hero

Unread post by Sgt Anjay »

RDF and REF have never been disowned, and they're not "wrong". They've just been shifted to nicknames rather than official names, and they used another term from the dialog as the official names. It's stated such in Art of Shadow Chronicles

United Earth Defense Forces, specifically, is used in episodes 39, 41, 43, and 54, United Earth Forces is used in episodes 19, 26, 37, 45, 49, and 58, United Earth Government forces is used in 40, Earth forces is used in 42, 45, 49, and 53, United Defence Forces in 26, Forces of the United Earth Government in 54, and United Earth Government Defence Forces in 59.
"Cuando amanece se van a inflictir, duros castigos y oscuros tormentos, a los que ni quieren ni dejan vivir" -'Posada de los Muertos'
MikeM
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MikeM »

Thats awesome Sgt. Anjay. Thank you. I thought the term Robotech Defense Force etc was retconned out. Using it as nicknames/slang is fine with me.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

MikeM wrote:Thats awesome Sgt. Anjay. Thank you. I thought the term Robotech Defense Force etc was retconned out. Using it as nicknames/slang is fine with me.

Actually, in the Tv series, its Robotech Defense Forces (plural). :wink:
Sgt Anjay
Hero

Unread post by Sgt Anjay »

Well, United Earth Forces was used in episodes 19 and 26, both of which are pre-Rain of Death. So it seems to me that while the Defense in UEDF might have been a newer innovation, likely to differentiate from the Expeditionary Force, the dialog points to them being United Earth Forces at least by the time of the 1st Robotech War.
"Cuando amanece se van a inflictir, duros castigos y oscuros tormentos, a los que ni quieren ni dejan vivir" -'Posada de los Muertos'
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Meh, you usually only hear "Defense Force(s)". That still fits with RDF or UEDF, no matter what acronym you use. Never really thought it was much of an issue, but I still lean to RDF since that is what I remember seeing when I first started playing the RPG.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I'm of a divided mind of it. Technically UEDF/UEEF is the correct form from a real world standpoint since we hardly call our own military forces the 'Internal Combustion Armed Services' or the 'Digitally Augmented Military Services', but the constant use of 'Robotech' in the originally aired cartoon was a none-too-subtle reminder of the brand, in case you came in mid-episode and DIDN'T know what you were watching. :P
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”