3 men a bag of Palladium books one mountain 220lbs of gear!

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Baron mugwort
Dungeon Crawler

3 men a bag of Palladium books one mountain 220lbs of gear!

Unread post by Baron mugwort »

This is how we rolled this year! We carried an insane amount of gear up what ammounts to "swamp mountain". This was the most desolate place we could find.

Why? In the name of RPG madness! We had just bought the Hinterlands and thought "Hey this seems pretty much like swamp mountain in the Highlands!" So off we went with dice, chairs, talbles, books, tents, pens and paper. The experience nearly killed us but I can honeslty say that the environment added to the atmosphere!

http://www.ding-irl.com/Ardtoe.html

Have you guys done anything similar? There must be some soldier types on here that have done far more hardcore RPG playing that I have! Share it with us :) I love the idea of mixing RPG with real life!
"Baron Mugwort, I think you are the official representative of the intrests of Giants in Rifts. Its a great job (full benefits!)." Argos.

http://www.kingsofrpg.com For all things RPG!
Contribute to the website with your own RPG advice, stories and adventures! barnonmugwort@ding-irl.com
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: 3 men a bag of Palladium books one mountain 220lbs of ge

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I once ran a game in the most desolate, forsaken and terrifying land I could find. It was a VtM game run at Lestat's Coffee House (24 hour coffee in town).

Not surprisingly, our game was disturbed the the actual vampires there.

A LAARP was happening.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Baron mugwort
Dungeon Crawler

Alrik Vas wrote:I once ran a game in the most desolate, forsaken and terrifying land I could find. It was a VtM game run at Lestat's Coffee House (24 hour coffee in town).

Not surprisingly, our game was disturbed the the actual vampires there.

A LAARP was happening.

OMG wow! I bet that was both weird yet kind of awesome at the same time!

That's a cool story amigo :D
"Baron Mugwort, I think you are the official representative of the intrests of Giants in Rifts. Its a great job (full benefits!)." Argos.

Contribute to the website with your own RPG advice, stories and adventures! barnonmugwort@ding-irl.com
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Best I can do is a game in a public park.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
TheGameMaster
Explorer

Unread post by TheGameMaster »

We once were camping and I had bought my bag of books along, we played while sitting around the campfire one night.
To GLORY! To VICTORY!! HUZZA!
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Baron mugwort wrote:This is how we rolled this year! We carried an insane amount of gear up what ammounts to "swamp mountain". This was the most desolate place we could find.

Why? In the name of RPG madness! We had just bought the Hinterlands and thought "Hey this seems pretty much like swamp mountain in the Highlands!" So off we went with dice, chairs, talbles, books, tents, pens and paper. The experience nearly killed us but I can honeslty say that the environment added to the atmosphere!

http://www.ding-irl.com/Ardtoe.html

Have you guys done anything similar? There must be some soldier types on here that have done far more hardcore RPG playing that I have! Share it with us :) I love the idea of mixing RPG with real life!

Yes...When I was in England over the summer one year, one day we got it in our heads to game at St. Micheal's Tower. The guy that over saw it was a friend of Stephen's. So, that helped. And then we all chipped in 25 GBP and rented a nice cabin in the country side. Here in the USA, we go camping and do it. I want to game at Culcreuch Castle when I move to the UK, more than likely to Manchester. It WAS my family's castle...I am a Galbraith by my great grandmother.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

5 or 6 different systems now.... Played in Iraq. And yes, I took my physical books.
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
Baron mugwort
Dungeon Crawler

Hey pBlackcrow ncie tales! Get to Manchester man its the coolest place in the world (not least because I live here lol). I will have a look at St. Michaels tower, sounds awesome. Playing a game in a castle would be epic!

Hey Strongarm, I knew one of you guys would have played in Iraq or somewhere like that. Good show!

Have any of you guys got pictures and tales you would be willing to share? I have set up a website where I am trying to encourage people to get out of the house (get off the PC eg. Warcraft) and get out there and do something positive. I think mixing RPG's with real life is a good move. Like if your character can do archery take up a class etc. Wilderness survival, go camping!

Baron mugwort
Dungeon Crawler

Wow Snuzzles that's awesome! I bet that added something extra creepy to the game :) I think I might have been mildly terrified lol :P

Baron mugwort
Dungeon Crawler

My god it sounds terrifying just thinking about it. Sadly no tunnels near me :'( and if they were they would have been built by Victorians who were by all accounts midget men! My back couldn't cope with walking bent over for 30mins lol.

That really does sound epic though, if you go down there again try and get some footage or photos, it would be really cool to see such a place.

I commend your bravery Sir Snuggles!

Baron mugwort
Dungeon Crawler

Firstly my apologies Snuzzles! I haven't had my eyes in for the last few days, make of that what you will lol.

That Underground tour looks awesome, what a find man :D . I reckon I can get on it when they start up again. The honour of being a sewer dweller would be brilliant. No twisted spine either!

If I get to go on it I shall report back.

kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Maybe time to drag out turtles ;)

Im just jealous, we don't have anything like that near here, but i'd love to give it a go.
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Baron mugwort wrote:My god it sounds terrifying just thinking about it. Sadly no tunnels near me :'( and if they were they would have been built by Victorians who were by all accounts midget men! My back couldn't cope with walking bent over for 30mins lol.

That really does sound epic though, if you go down there again try and get some footage or photos, it would be really cool to see such a place.

I commend your bravery Sir Snuggles!

No, but you do have abandon subway tunnels and stations, in London anyway. They are cool to explore.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Dr. Avery
D-Bee

Unread post by Dr. Avery »

As a younger gent I made some critical mistakes in judgment whoichled to a stretch in the clink. In prison in good ole USA pnp games are contraband. However, me and my pals would have books smuggled in and photocopy them 4 pages to one. We used cards for dice or homemade spinners, until a sympathetic gaming guard left us a care pacage of good ole polyhedrals. It does make a game much more exciting playing with criminals lol.. And hiding from the guards added that much more fun.
Never take a Paladin to do an Assasins job.
Baron mugwort
Dungeon Crawler

Cheers for the heads up Crow!

Dr. Avery your story is cool! RPG and hiding from the guards, smuggling contraband, awesome!

What RPG did you play Avery?

Dr. Avery
D-Bee

Pfrpg and Rifts mostly Phase World and Three Galaxies, with our own twists. Yeah it definarely made it much more bearable lol. We even made dice out of wood glue stolen fron the furniture factory. I worked in the library with access to the copier so I handled the grunt work. I made a good deal of "money" copying contraband books.
Baron mugwort
Dungeon Crawler

Wow Dr. Avery you had a whole real life adventure just setting these games up! Reminds me of the Shawshank redemption only nicer and with Phase world!

Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Dr. Avery wrote:Pfrpg and Rifts mostly Phase World and Three Galaxies, with our own twists. Yeah it definarely made it much more bearable lol. We even made dice out of wood glue stolen fron the furniture factory. I worked in the library with access to the copier so I handled the grunt work. I made a good deal of "money" copying contraband books.

So not only did you play Rifts in prison, you also managed to fit in some Shadowrun style LARPing as well, lol

On a more serious note, do you know why PnP Rpgs are banned from prisons ? Are they worried that a game disagreement is going to turn into some violent fights ? Or is it because of the violence depicted in the game itself ? It suppose it would seem a little counterproductive to their rehabilitation if murders were role playing killing people I guess :mrgreen:
Dr. Avery
D-Bee

Hi Razz. In Missouri, where I'm from, in the early 80's they were allowe. However, after the furor of the "evil D&D craze they were removed from all institutions. As usual people fear what they don't understand. As far as behavioral issues, most of the people I gamed with were model inmates. Other than breaking the rules to game. Most of the guards wher I was at new we gamed and didn't care because thwy new we stayed out oc trouble. They were more worried about drugs or getting shanked than they were about us. There were a few hot heads and newbies who confiscated some books here and there. I played with several guys who were in for murder. I myself was in for robbery. When I was younger I got hooked on meth real bad which led to my incarceration. If it wasn't for some of the guys I gamed with I might not have got my life together. This year I'll have been clean 10 years. Going to prison probably saved my life. Anyway I hope that answers your questions.
Razzinold
Hero

Dr. Avery wrote:Hi Razz. In Missouri, where I'm from, in the early 80's they were allowe. However, after the furor of the "evil D&D craze they were removed from all institutions. As usual people fear what they don't understand. As far as behavioral issues, most of the people I gamed with were model inmates. Other than breaking the rules to game. Most of the guards wher I was at new we gamed and didn't care because thwy new we stayed out oc trouble. They were more worried about drugs or getting shanked than they were about us. There were a few hot heads and newbies who confiscated some books here and there. I played with several guys who were in for murder. I myself was in for robbery. When I was younger I got hooked on meth real bad which led to my incarceration. If it wasn't for some of the guys I gamed with I might not have got my life together. This year I'll have been clean 10 years. Going to prison probably saved my life. Anyway I hope that answers your questions.

Wow! Congratulations on the 10 years of living clean!

I hope you didn't take what I wrote as any kind of personal dig, I was genuinely curious as why they wouldn't allow it. I mean if they allowed books why not RPG books?
However you do raise a good point about people fearing things they are not educated about properly and for a long time D&D players=Satanic devil worshiping murders.
Thanks for the fast (and honest) responses to my questions.

Once again I didn't mean any disrespect and I wasn't trying to make light of your situation, I've just heard from other people that have been in jail that certain books and tv shows/movies are not available/censored because of the responses they could cause. For instance they can't/don't show anything sexual in nature and things like that.

Anyway back to the thread, I guess for me the most "out there" place we've gamed is either when we went camping, or playing in the empty house I just bought. All we had was a small kitchen table and 4 chairs the previous owners left me, oh and a functioning fridge. Luckily I was within walking distance of 7-11 and Pizza Pizza so I was fun (and creepy) to set the table up in the middle of the living room with the walls and floors half stripped (the group was helping me reno the house) and our only source of light was the work lights mounted on a stand because the overhead light fixtures were removed and I hadn't brought lamps or anything yet. At least they were nice and bright!

It was weird the way our voices would echo around the empty house. We played so late that we ended crashing there with our sleeping bags.

The coolest thing that added to the atmosphere is my new house turned out to be haunted (not sure how many of you believe in that stuff but I sure do) and different people witnessed different stuff each night (and sometimes the same stuff as some else did the night or two before).
Dr. Avery
D-Bee

No offense taken. Just wanted to let you know that, in my experience, there was never any violence associated with gaming. There were many fights over basketball and softball though.
Dr. Avery
D-Bee

Oh btw. I do belive in paranormal activity and have experienced quite a bit myself. What kind of activity was there?
Razzinold
Hero

Dr. Avery wrote:Oh btw. I do belive in paranormal activity and have experienced quite a bit myself. What kind of activity was there?

The house would rumble and shake, even though I wasn't near train tracks or a highway, and I had a guy to come in and check the pipes in case it was air in my water lines or something like that.

People would see someone walking up my stairs and down the hall into my room. What looked like an old mad would sit halfway up the staircase and look into the living room.

The coolest part is I lived in a semi-detached so my neighbour's staircase was against the same wall as mine and she came up to me a little while after I met her/got to know her and we were talking about the houses. Both were for sale at the same time and both of us ended up looking at both before buying the ones we did. Anyway we were discussing the differences between our places and she was like "I liked my kitchen better but your living room better" and I was like "I liked the bedrooms better in mine but liked that you had an inclosed back porch". Then she goes on to say that she should have bought my house because her's is haunted.

I laughed (she thought I was making fun of her) until I explained to her that it wouldn't have done any good because I experience the same things in my house.

Best part of the story ? That's the girl that became my wife! :mrgreen:
Baron mugwort
Dungeon Crawler

Wow guys some awesome stories here guys.

Avery I admire you openess and I am glad life is good for you now :)

Razz do you still live in the haunted house? How you met your wife was a fantastic story man I loved it.

Razzinold
Hero

Baron mugwort wrote:Wow guys some awesome stories here guys.

Avery I admire you openess and I am glad life is good for you now :)

Razz do you still live in the haunted house? How you met your wife was a fantastic story man I loved it.

No since we both owned homes we sold them and moved into another one a few blocks away. Then when we lived there we experienced more supernatural activity. We didn't see the haunted figure but the same shaking of the house, it would start in the basement and work it's way up and you would always "feel"/sense it just before at happened.

At this time we now had a dog and you knew whenever it was going to occur because she would jump up, flee in terror and then the whole would would shake.

Ok I've stolen enough thread time, perhaps I should start a new thread detailing my history with the paranormal, along with my wife and children.
I was always sensitive too it, same with my wife, and now that we've gotten together we've drawn more and more activity to ourselves over the years.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”