Attribute leveling

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Immortal ME
Explorer

Re: Attribute leveling

Unread post by The Immortal ME »

The short answer is no.

The slightly longer answer is that there are numerous ways that your attributes might change over time (injury, magic, &c) but the only way that they are likely to change (indirectly) related to the leveling would be the selection of a physical skill.
- The Immortal ME

Sic itur ad astra.
"There are some who call me ... TIM?
(All factual statements based on personal recollection only unless otherwise attributed. May not actually be factual.)
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I've always thought there should be a way of increasing ME or MA through skills or training. I could just never think of a fair/balanced system for it.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

Alrik Vas wrote:I've always thought there should be a way of increasing ME or MA through skills or training. I could just never think of a fair/balanced system for it.

Rifter... I believe 19. Perfect? No. But then, neither are the physical skills. It is, IMO, well balanced with the physical skills.
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Ahar. I'll have to check it out.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

Some GMs don't like them. And I've heard about every argument possible (if I was on computer instead of phone is type some of them out). But honestly, if you allow physical skills, then IMO you should allow mental ones as well.

However, I'm "evil", and if I have a player who has a skill like bodybuilding/weightlifting, they have to keep using it, or they lose it. That's right, I make them keep training. Same with mental skills.
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

-House Rule Alert-

I have for the last six or so years just allowed players to add a point to an attribute of their choice each level, and it has worked out great. At second and generally third level people look for even numbers that will increase bonuses (a 17 into an 18, for instance) and after that try and bring up low/poor attributes. Considering most characters aren't getting past 7th level, that's only 6 points, which is really not a lot.

It's a pretty simple addition that makes players happy, and gives everyone something every level.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Well, I think that's an idea, though it's dangerous with the characters who load up on physical skills. I think that's actually much stronger, personally, when you take into account less physical skills. Getting to take a real skill rather than Body Building is so much cooler. Though there are those guys still...

Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Alrik Vas wrote:I've always thought there should be a way of increasing ME or MA through skills or training. I could just never think of a fair/balanced system for it.

I agree with you there. I mean this always plays out in movies and books.
The terrified rookie (cop/soldier/fire fighter/etc.) freezes up at the first sight/sound of ____ (enemy, gun shot, monster) fumbles with weapon/radio/etc. but the grizzled hardened veteran calmly walks up and handles the situation with well practiced ease.

As your character levels up your Mental Endurance should rise as well, once you've experienced the world around you it should toughen you up to the experience (or possibly even weaken you and drive you crazy or turn you into a coward if you want to play it fair).

Mental Affinity, well this one is a little harder to nail down. I guess your character could become more likeable (or less) and more savvy with practice. I guess the best example would be some lowly person enters politics and doesn't give the best kind of speeches at first but by the time he's a senator he is so practiced at smooth talk that people are more keen to listen to what he has to say.

Basically (imo) it all boils down to life experiences and as your character grows (levels) there should be some actual game mechanics that are influenced/changed to reflect that.

Like I said though, to be perfectly fair it would have to work both ways. For every veteran solider that becomes a national hero from all his years of fighting, you'll also have a poor soldier traumatized with PTSD.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

every 3rd level i allow a 1d12 roll, and if they roll a 12 they get to pick, otherwise its random (i have 11 stats)

I agree with the ME and MA, maybe things like public speaking or the like should give a bonus or temporary bonus.
maybe something like you made your public speaking skill by %25, thats a bonus of 5 to your effective MA.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”