New topic on the name of the PFRPG world

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

New topic on the name of the PFRPG world

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

It's officially referred to as The Palladium World on many occasions but-

The very first word of the first sentence in Dragons & Gods is "Palladium is a world of high fantasy and heroic sword and sorcery."

In the money section in LoB they talk about "This is a book about Palladium numismatry, or in other words ... money!"

In AotHS the Sea of Despair section mentions "Many have speculated the the Sea of Despair is the nesting place of all Palladium's dreaded sea monsters.."

Not Palladia. Never.

I cannot recall any Tristine Chronicles that refer to The Palladium World as anything other than "The World".
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Soldier of Od
Hero

Re: New topic on the name of the PFRPG world

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Not this again! Yeah, it is officially called The Palladium World. I read Hades again recently and it was mentioned as 'a dimension referred to by the demons as The Palladium World'.

I consider references to 'Palladium' as just an acceptable common shortening of the name. Just like people often use the word 'America' when actually referring just to the 'United States of America'.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

Wait wait wait, I saw something like this;
The Dark Elf wrote:Im sick of reading ****** arguments on these ****** forums (said in a non-jovial Sam L Jackson voice).

This isnt the "all things" forum take your **** elsewhere (pls). No one reads your arguments anyway so forget the publicity crap.

Sick of it. Absolutely sick.

shut up (pls).

Seems like you should avoid starting them if you want to not see them.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

TDE, even you are bringing this up again? Why?!?!

This has been argued so many times even the Old Ones got sick of the fighting!

Hell, that's probably why they went to take a nap.
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Goliath Strongarm wrote:TDE, even you are bringing this up again? Why?!?!

Greetings and Salutations. No, that's not why they took a nap. That's why they tricked Xy and kicked him out. You see ...

All the Old Ones (except for Xy) wanted to call it Palladia. Xy said "NO! It's The Palladium World." To achieve victory, the other Old Ones tricked Xy and turned him into Thoth. Thoth, in turn, put all the other Old Ones asleep. Why? Because the victors of the war write history, and that's why it's now known as The Palladium World. So for anyone who continues to call it "Palladia" just remember ... Thoth will put you to sleep forever!

Anyways, that's all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe jour -- oh crap! Thoth, when did you get there? No, I didn't mean to tell them everything. I'm sor-- :sleep:
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Nice story Prysus.

I sidestep the discussion by saying it's the 'PF world'.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Prysus wrote:
Goliath Strongarm wrote:TDE, even you are bringing this up again? Why?!?!

Greetings and Salutations. No, that's not why they took a nap. That's why they tricked Xy and kicked him out. You see ...

All the Old Ones (except for Xy) wanted to call it Palladia. Xy said "NO! It's The Palladium World." To achieve victory, the other Old Ones tricked Xy and turned him into Thoth. Thoth, in turn, put all the other Old Ones asleep. Why? Because the victors of the war write history, and that's why it's now known as The Palladium World. So for anyone who continues to call it "Palladia" just remember ... Thoth will put you to sleep forever!

Anyways, that's all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe jour -- oh crap! Thoth, when did you get there? No, I didn't mean to tell them everything. I'm sor-- :sleep:

Thanks for the laugh...
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Brayon
Explorer

Unread post by Brayon »

Excuse the n00b question, but where does Palladia come from anyways? Everything PFRPG I have, refers to it as The Palladium World not Palladia. Was it some fandom thing that people are now saying is some mix of canon/fanon?
"No, actually, as there's that really big special rule that overrides any other rules. You know, the one where if something looks stupid or limiting or otherwise hinders game play or fun the GM is free to change or discard the rule." - Nightmask
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

There are no arguments. Just clear clarification for those people (maybe person) that weren't aware and calls it Palladia for an unknown reason.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

The Dark Elf wrote:There are no arguments. Just clear clarification for those people (maybe person) that weren't aware and calls it Palladia for an unknown reason.

Clarifications don't come with bold text and condensation, but thanks for the PSA, next time skip it.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
The Immortal ME
Explorer

Unread post by The Immortal ME »

Cinos wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:There are no arguments. Just clear clarification for those people (maybe person) that weren't aware and calls it Palladia for an unknown reason.

Clarifications don't come with bold text and condensation, but thanks for the PSA, next time skip it.

I usually try not to nitpick, but this conjured up a mental image that made me giggle. I think you mean "condescension."
- The Immortal ME

Sic itur ad astra.
"There are some who call me ... TIM?
(All factual statements based on personal recollection only unless otherwise attributed. May not actually be factual.)
The Immortal ME
Explorer

Unread post by The Immortal ME »

To address to core of the issue: (IIRC) in Latin, the -um suffix is used for neuter singular endings whereas -a is used for neuter plural. For example, memorandum/memoranda, gymnasium/gymnasia, stadium/stadia. (Interestingly, the spellchecker does not like any of those, as the -ums suffix has become more common in English usage.)

To say "Palladia" would imply more than one "Palladium."

Is that a better PSA?
- The Immortal ME

Sic itur ad astra.
"There are some who call me ... TIM?
(All factual statements based on personal recollection only unless otherwise attributed. May not actually be factual.)
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

Cinos wrote:

LOL.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Doesn't Rurga's Holy Book mention something about Tar Palladia or something like th.. :sleep:
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

What about Planet Bob? LOL.

Seriously though...I call it Palladia. Bob's another world I created.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

kiralon wrote:Doesn't Rurga's Holy Book mention something about Tar Palladia or something like th.. :sleep:

The Ta'Palladia is the name of her holy book.
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”