Vampire Kingdoms: Revised - Pheromones question?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

EnlightenedVagabond
Wanderer
Comment: The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep...

Vampire Kingdoms: Revised - Pheromones question?

Unread post by EnlightenedVagabond »

With the addition/clarification of the seduction power caused by Pheromones, would that mean that Enviromentally sealed armor is immune to it? Just brought up a question while reading it with a friend, we are debating it, he seems to think its not so much as airborne as something else hard to qauntify.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Re: Vampire Kingdoms: Revised - Pheromones question?

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

EnlightenedVagabond wrote:With the addition/clarification of the seduction power caused by Pheromones, would that mean that Enviromentally sealed armor is immune to it? Just brought up a question while reading it with a friend, we are debating it, he seems to think its not so much as airborne as something else hard to qauntify.

If it is truely a pheromone then yes environmental armor would protect you. Unless it is some kind of mind control or psionic ability there has to be a way to transmit the effect, either through airborne or touch like Bo in Lost Girl(shameless plug for a good show). It is up to your GM to decide how he wants to handle it.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

personally plan to ignore it if i use vampires.. i'll stick to hypnotic suggestions like in the original european mythology, thank you.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

I would say Yes, if you are wearing sealed EBA you are effectively immune to pheremones. Of course, I would think that if the vamp is trying to use it's pheremones to seduce you, it won't likely try to do so while you're armored up and on guard as in a combat situation.

As an aside, I differentiate between the pheremone seduction and the hypnotic suggestion/mind control. Sometimes vamps just want to play with their food, not tell it what to do. ;)
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

So vampires are now Fox Demon imitators? :-?
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

Fox Demon????

well anyway, Since it is classified as a Chemical Attack, an EBA suit should nullify it's effects.
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

FreelancerMar wrote:Fox Demon????

well anyway, Since it is classified as a Chemical Attack, an EBA suit should nullify it's effects.

Fox Faerie from Rifts China use pheromones to seduce people, then drain the life from them. I just call them Fox demons since that's pretty much what they are. :P
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

It partly depends on how you define "sealed armor."

Does that mean:
1) It uses an air filter to purify outside air.
2) It uses an independent oxygen supply.

The first may not stop pheromones (GM's descretion). The second definitely would.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

I used to have to wear a 2 filter Resperator style mask while working at a company due to some of the hazerdous fumes and materials that I had to work with. Those things filter out a lot of stuff. I would imagine that a military grade GAS mask would offer even better protection than a civilian type.

On this Issue As a GM I would rule that

A Current Modern Military Grade Filtered GAS mask would Prevent it from working. Therefore an EBA suit would protect it's wearer from it's effect too.
Espically since an EBA suit is definately a Sealed System.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

EnlightenedVagabond wrote:With the addition/clarification of the seduction power caused by Pheromones

Does this replace or supplement the Hypnotic Suggestion and Super Hypnotic Suggestion and biting-based mind control abilities vampires originally had?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Mallak's Place
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mallak's Place »

Knowledge of the vampires Pheromones have caused the CS to put delicate Computer linked Chemical Sniffers into every nook and cranny of their Fortress Cities, any positive reading are investigated by a double squad of Psi-Stalkers and Dog Boys. They are also startign to put sniffers in the burbs as well as Military bases. this has increased the number of encounters with Vampires by a factor of Three.
Other Comunities are starting to follow suit.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Mallak's Place wrote:Knowledge of the vampires Pheromones have caused the CS to put delicate Computer linked Chemical Sniffers into every nook and cranny of their Fortress Cities, any positive reading are investigated by a double squad of Psi-Stalkers and Dog Boys. They are also startign to put sniffers in the burbs as well as Military bases. this has increased the number of encounters with Vampires by a factor of Three.
Other Comunities are starting to follow suit.

Excellent example of the Law of Unintended Consequences sir, well played.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

some forms of environmental body armour should work against the old vampire ability as well... basically, if your helmet is clear with a projected HUD, you might have had to worry about the old hypnotic ability, but if it was showing you camera footage of the outside world (which is probably the case with several kinds of EBA, unless part of the goals of the people designing them was to ensure the worst field of vision possible) then you should have been protected regardless.

either way leads to some degree of protection from the vampiric hypnotic ability.

that said, i prefer the original version too. particularly since the system is supposed to be megaversal, and every other setting in the game that has vampires uses the old vampires.

Return to “Rifts®”