[robotech] Awsome Ship size-comparison chart

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

[robotech] Awsome Ship size-comparison chart

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

http://dirkloechel.deviantart.com/art/S ... -398790051

Pretty cool design they been pimping on the eve pages, since it shows that some of the ships I've been flying rival the SDf-1 in size...

only complaint is he attributes some stupid Macross sequel designs to Robotech... but I can atribute that to Robotech's Massive Popularity it would be easy to assume they are part of Robotech....
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
MilkManX
Wanderer
Comment: Not a fan boy or a purist. I like to play Robotech because the game world is fun and interesting much like the 1985 show.

Re: [robotech] Awsome Ship size-comparison chart

Unread post by MilkManX »

Yeah that is neat. I knew the Robotech Masters ships were big but they are much bigger than I thought!
http://robotechfans.proboards.com

You're out here on your own.
Lonely soldier boy.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

MilkManX wrote:Yeah that is neat. I knew the Robotech Masters ships were big but they are much bigger than I thought!

yeah, and this really only shows lenght... its also nearly as Wide (5800 m).... and there were 20 of them in the Master's Fleet.. :/
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Love that pic 8) ...pity my home connection is so slow and bad it would choke trying to move those 9+mb of image.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

MilkManX wrote:Yeah that is neat. I knew the Robotech Masters ships were big but they are much bigger than I thought!

They're huge, but their size is presented inconsistently in the animation... the RT.com number is just a ballpark estimate.

Shame about the rest of that chart... it looks nice, but there are a LOT of errors. There are a few Macross ships that were misidentified as being from Robotech, the author probably operating on the relatively common misconception that Robotech is just the American name for Macross, and the entire Warhammer 40,000 section is way off... though that's mainly because there's a lot of conflicting information on that front.

I did a much smaller size comparison for the RT and Macross II stuff way back when, turns out it's still up on my servers.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
taalismn
Priest

Seto Kaiba wrote:
I did a much smaller size comparison for the RT and Macross II stuff way back when, turns out it's still up on my servers.

Ah yes...where the Salan Scout Ships get lost in the service corridors... :P
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

taalismn wrote:
Seto Kaiba wrote:

Ah yes...where the Salan Scout Ships get lost in the service corridors... :P

Could be worse, man... if those WH40K ships on the OP's size comparison were scaled correctly, you'd be able to fly those Zentradi pickets down the larger ships torpedo launchers. :lol:

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
taalismn
Priest

Seto Kaiba wrote:Could be worse, man... if those WH40K ships on the OP's size comparison were scaled correctly, you'd be able to fly those Zentradi pickets down the larger ships torpedo launchers. :lol:

"Can't see in this egress port! Turn on the external illuminators and give me a visual!"
*CLICK*
(Forward view shows the way ahead blocked by an ENORMOUS missile with the fuze-head just meters away from the scout ship's prow)
"...thank you, you can turn the lights off now....oh, and FULL REVERSE GEARS!!!!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

http://foxhugh.files.wordpress.com/2010 ... er-40k.jpg
for the 40K ship sizes? is this depiction any more accurate?
Seto Kaiba
Knight

taalismn wrote:"Can't see in this egress port! Turn on the external illuminators and give me a visual!"
*CLICK*
(Forward view shows the way ahead blocked by an ENORMOUS missile with the fuze-head just meters away from the scout ship's prow)
"...thank you, you can turn the lights off now....oh, and FULL REVERSE GEARS!!!!"

Kinda reminds you of Lisa/Misa's shock over finding out the way to Alaska Base was THROUGH the barrel of the grand cannon... that bloody thing had (OSMly) a 1km bore. You could easily park a picket ship in there with no problem.

Colonel Wolfe wrote:http://foxhugh.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/the-imperium-vs-warhammer-40k.jpg
for the 40K ship sizes? is this depiction any more accurate?

Same images in use, I believe... borrowed from the size comparison on Merzo.net in both cases. That Retribution-class line battleship is right at ~7km or so, though the first chart's way out on some of the larger WH40K ships. The battle barges are supposed to be like 17km or so, and the only size I've ever seen for a mass conveyer was given as a 25km keel length in First and Only.

'course, I also think Harmony Gold undersold the size of the Zor Lords motherships when they made the RT stats... they're never explicitly described at any given size, but the brief description suggests they're probably meant to be much larger in the original work... more like the footprint of a medium-sized city thrust into space.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Warhammer 40K ships sizes have fluctuated a lot in different editions. one of the reasons the depictions are all over the map is because it depend heavily on which sources you use for info. in general, in earlier fluff the ships were friggen huge, and their weapons suitably large. later fluff shrank them down to more believable sizes, but still really big. they've also changed the fluff to (ironically) reduce the grimdark.. used to be that you had fluff describing ICBM sized light anti-ship missiles being loaded into tubes by teams of thousands of men with ropes, for example.
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Whats the Details form the battle-fleet Gothic game?
wouldn't it have the most "accurate" ship sizes.. since it was their ship based game?
taalismn
Priest

Seto Kaiba wrote:
taalismn wrote:"Can't see in this egress port! Turn on the external illuminators and give me a visual!"
*CLICK*

Kinda reminds you of Lisa/Misa's shock over finding out the way to Alaska Base was THROUGH the barrel of the grand cannon... that bloody thing had (OSMly) a 1km bore. You could easily park a picket ship in there with no problem..

Mind you, the penalty for illegal parking there is SERIOUS.....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Seto Kaiba
Knight

glitterboy2098 wrote:Warhammer 40K ships sizes have fluctuated a lot in different editions. one of the reasons the depictions are all over the map is because it depend heavily on which sources you use for info. in general, in earlier fluff the ships were friggen huge, and their weapons suitably large. later fluff shrank them down to more believable sizes, but still really big. [...]

They've actually started going the other way again... the line battleships tip the scales at 7 kilometers or more, and those "supermassives" like Astartes battle barges or Mechanicus mass conveyers are consistently more than twice that. It went absolutely nuts in the Horus Heresy series, with the bigger ships like the Furious Abyss, Trisagion, and Blessed Lady absolutely dwarfing even the 17km behemoths.

glitterboy2098 wrote:they've also changed the fluff to (ironically) reduce the grimdark.. used to be that you had fluff describing ICBM sized light anti-ship missiles being loaded into tubes by teams of thousands of men with ropes, for example.

Oh, that's still true, actually... even the frigging nova cannons are loaded by hand.

Colonel Wolfe wrote:Whats the Details form the battle-fleet Gothic game?
wouldn't it have the most "accurate" ship sizes.. since it was their ship based game?

Ironically, there's pretty much no data on ship sizes in the Battlefleet Gothic core rulebook... since the ship models themselves are actually irrelevant, the volume of space the ship occupies for gameplay (including its void shield envelope) consists solely of the stem and rim of the clear plastic flying base. Most of the ship sizes come from stuff like the "Index Astartes" books and novels.

taalismn wrote:
Seto Kaiba wrote:
*CLICK*

Kinda reminds you of Lisa/Misa's shock over finding out the way to Alaska Base was THROUGH the barrel of the grand cannon... that bloody thing had (OSMly) a 1km bore. You could easily park a picket ship in there with no problem..

Mind you, the penalty for illegal parking there is SERIOUS.....

And how! It would've been a real memory-buster if they'd included the BIGGER ships in that size comparison, like a Mardook or Zentradi mobile fortress, or the Zentradi mothership from the original Macross series.

Colonel Wolfe
Knight

For 40K, I now used the updated Rogue Trader sizes where applicable, resulting in much larger 40K vessels. Also, no battleships are present because there simply is no canonic size available on them
<-- this si his explination for the 40K stuff... I wonder what Jason Marker and crew have been doing recently...
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Colonel Wolfe wrote:
For 40K, I now used the updated Rogue Trader sizes where applicable, resulting in much larger 40K vessels. Also, no battleships are present because there simply is no canonic size available on them
<-- this si his explination for the 40K stuff... I wonder what Jason Marker and crew have been doing recently...

I thought our boy Jason was writing for Dark Heresy... but that artist's reasoning makes good sense, I suppose. Going thru the hundred-plus novels to get each individual class size would be a bear. I see he used the RT RPG sizes for the Zentradi ships too.

Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

I thought our boy Jason was writing for Dark Heresy... but that artist's reasoning makes good sense, I suppose. Going thru the hundred-plus novels to get each individual class size would be a bear. I see he used the RT RPG sizes for the Zentradi ships too.
Right now Marker is working on starwars and such.... but I follow his Fb and blog some, and he has done several rogue trader books.
http://www.alibris.com/search/books/author/Jason-Marker?aid=5645527
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

taalismn wrote:
Seto Kaiba wrote:Could be worse, man... if those WH40K ships on the OP's size comparison were scaled correctly, you'd be able to fly those Zentradi pickets down the larger ships torpedo launchers. :lol:

"Can't see in this egress port! Turn on the external illuminators and give me a visual!"
*CLICK*

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Thanks for the link!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I was surprised. There were ships from my favorite anime space opera, "Legend of the Galactic Heros"
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
taalismn
Priest

Quite a few surprises in there too, like Black Hole's Cygnus, Nostromo's space rig, and the Valley Forge from Silent Running.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I assume they didn't include the Zentradi Mobile Fortress because they didn't want to make the EVE ships look small.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

Alrik Vas wrote:I assume they didn't include the Zentradi Mobile Fortress because they didn't want to make the EVE ships look small.
or because it is proportional to the size of the moon.
Either version of the Factory Satellite would have dwarfed even Dolza's puny fortress.
the Eve ships are huge, considering they have only one pilot...
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Yeah the central pod of the Factory is like 3000km across or something along those lines.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Colonel Wolfe
Knight

jaymz wrote:Yeah the central pod of the Factory is like 3000km across or something along those lines.
yeah, asking for these mega structures is akin to asking him to include the Death star 1 & 2.. or the Dyson's sphere from "Relics"
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

There is a site that HAS done various scales to show all of those....

http://www.merzo.net/
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Vyger...whale probe, star base, zent ships...

then at the bottom, the death star is like @.@
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Merzo.net needs to have Dahak in there..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”