Shifter & Energy Sphere/Dimensional Teleport

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MikeM
Dungeon Crawler

Shifter & Energy Sphere/Dimensional Teleport

Unread post by MikeM »

Hi guys,

We are playing Rifts and one of the players is making a Shifter. It lists a bunch of spells that he can pick from. Energy Sphere, Dimensional Teleport and Sheltering Force are listed, but arent described anywhere in the book. Am I missing something? Why aren't those spells listed?

Thanks,
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Shifter & Energy Sphere/Dimensional Teleport

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The decision was made in Rifts Ultimate Edition to cut out the full spell list for space. All spells consoldated from books (well, all rifts books up to the printing of it) can be found in the rifts Book of Magic, which the magic section refers to you to get the complete spell list. the abrigded list in RUE does make for useful and playable mages but they are missing some major spells, too.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Morik
Explorer

Unread post by Morik »

Would I get in trouble if I listed the spells stats for him in the forums?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Morik wrote:Would I get in trouble if I listed the spells stats for him in the forums?

Yes, I'm afraid you would get in trouble.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Witchcraft
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Witchcraft »

They picked the least important and most frivolous fluffy spells to omit so people wouldn't be forced to buy another book just to play a Shifter.
There is no spoon.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I do strongly recommend the book of magic it is of all the conversion books/helper books the best buy of the bunch. The GMG is nice but the book of magic is great. It is a mammoth book but it has just about everything magic related that you could want all in one place.

If you don't have access to it just GM fiat it and replace the spells you don't have with others that are listed that sound shifty.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Morik wrote:Would I get in trouble if I listed the spells stats for him in the forums?

NS is correct that you can get in trouble for posting (any) copyrighted material here int he forums.

I did post a variant of the ES spell that I created via the spell modification rules in the Through the Glass Darkly book, in the Invented magic topic.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=75190&start=50
(you will need to scroll down about two thirds of the way.)
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Witchcraft wrote:They picked the least important and most frivolous fluffy spells to omit so people wouldn't be forced to buy another book just to play a Shifter.

energy sphere is a massively powerful game-changing spell. it makes all those "there's no way you could ever possibly cast this spell, it costs 5 bazillion PPE" spells into "oh, actually, i could totally pull this off" once you've got a couple levels under your belt.

or at first level, if you can persuade your GM that you have enough shoulders.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Shark_Force wrote:
Witchcraft wrote:They picked the least important and most frivolous fluffy spells to omit so people wouldn't be forced to buy another book just to play a Shifter.

energy sphere is a massively powerful game-changing spell. it makes all those "there's no way you could ever possibly cast this spell, it costs 5 bazillion PPE" spells into "oh, actually, i could totally pull this off" once you've got a couple levels under your belt.

or at first level, if you can persuade your GM that you have enough shoulders.

I am just picturing a giant shifter octopus with 8 energy spheres floating around them. But yes it is a really nice spell that helps give a reasonable way to save up big spells/rituals/item enchantment.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I did post a variant of the ES spell that I created via the spell modification rules in the Through the Glass Darkly book
ITT we post variants of every single smell in the Book of Magic which increases duration or range 1 step. Dat workaround.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Rifts®”