Zombies in BoM vs Dark Conversion

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dinne
Wanderer

Zombies in BoM vs Dark Conversion

Unread post by Dinne »

I am going to be building a landscape of undead. All kinds of ghoulish and nasty things roaming about. There will definitely be some zombies and animated dead accompanying the Necromancers.

My issue comes about as the Dark Conversions book mentions that Zombies (created by spell) have nightvision 300ft and see the invisible, the BoM version mentions no such thing. I was hoping for any thoughts considering these abilities. They both make a sizable difference to the nastiness of the little guy.

As always, thanks for the assistance. I've always gotten very good feedback here. :)
Jerell
Hero

Re: Zombies in BoM vs Dark Conversion

Unread post by Jerell »

I would certainly think they can see in the dark.
arouetta
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by arouetta »

Dinne wrote:I am going to be building a landscape of undead. All kinds of ghoulish and nasty things roaming about. There will definitely be some zombies and animated dead accompanying the Necromancers.

My issue comes about as the Dark Conversions book mentions that Zombies (created by spell) have nightvision 300ft and see the invisible, the BoM version mentions no such thing. I was hoping for any thoughts considering these abilities. They both make a sizable difference to the nastiness of the little guy.

As always, thanks for the assistance. I've always gotten very good feedback here. :)

Choose one and go with it. To make it more confusing, PFRPG allows nightvision but does not state see the invisible. I don't have access to my BtS 1ed book (anyone else?) and HU doesn't have that spell. I don't know what Nightbane has.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Dinne wrote:I am going to be building a landscape of undead. All kinds of ghoulish and nasty things roaming about. There will definitely be some zombies and animated dead accompanying the Necromancers.

I would use the non-munchkin zombies from the create zombie spell.....UNLESS.... your players are munchkins and your zombies need an extra little bit to make the chars 'work for it' when fighting the Z's.
If even the Z's from the RDC is not enough to make it a challenge for your munchkin players you could import the Z's from DR.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

The DR Z's may be a bit much. There's plenty of challenge already with the other DC U's. I think nightvision is appropriate but "see the invisible" might be a little much. They're only zombies.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Glistam wrote:The DR Z's may be a bit much. There's plenty of challenge already with the other DC U's. I think nightvision is appropriate but "see the invisible" might be a little much. They're only zombies.

Agree. I tend to think that undead should have some sort of sense living instead.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Dinne
Wanderer

Unread post by Dinne »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

I would use the non-munchkin zombies from the create zombie spell.....UNLESS.... your players are munchkins and your zombies need an extra little bit to make the chars 'work for it' when fighting the Z's.
If even the Z's from the RDC is not enough to make it a challenge for your munchkin players you could import the Z's from DR.

Ya, but the zombies in rifts are way different. They have an IQ of 7, can talk, can drive a car, and take significant energy to make. They require like the full moon and fresh body... and all that jazz. I thought the spell version was too weak, personally. I wonder what the most balanced is. I guess I could just use either....
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Dinne wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Ya, but the zombies in rifts are way different. They have an IQ of 7, can talk, can drive a car, and take significant energy to make. They require like the full moon and fresh body... and all that jazz. I thought the spell version was too weak, personally. I wonder what the most balanced is. I guess I could just use either....

Use all three. just have them as a separate type of zombie.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Rimmerdal wrote:
Dinne wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Use all three. just have them as a separate type of zombie.

Beat me to it. I remember way, way back in the day I had a Dragon magazine article (probably an October issue), which had something like 5 or 6 different versions of the main undead types. Zombies, ghouls, ghosts, vampires, etc. I used some of them to flesh out a dungeon delve I had already pointed the party to. They saw a skeleton and didn't think much of it, until the bones exploded when it was hit in combat. Made them start second guessing themselves. lol

So yeah, use all three (or more!) and let them encounter a few 'normal' zombies for the first few encounters, or even the first session. Then have them encounter a different type of zombie. "Hey, guys, I think that zombie can see us, in the dark...wft?!"

8]
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!

Return to “G.M.s Forum”