How to get past wards?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hotrod
Knight

How to get past wards?

Unread post by Hotrod »

In the Baalgor Wastelands, there's a tower that is so heavily warded that no-one has been able to get to the top (where the treasure is, supposedly) since the previous occupant kicked the bucket. Many other treasure troves across the Palladium World are rigged up with all kinds of nasty effects that throw one last frustration in the path of the players, some of them with enough wards to kill everything short of an ancient dragon.

What methods do you like to use to bypass wards?
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: How to get past wards?

Unread post by eliakon »

Hotrod wrote:In the Baalgor Wastelands, there's a tower that is so heavily warded that no-one has been able to get to the top (where the treasure is, supposedly) since the previous occupant kicked the bucket. Many other treasure troves across the Palladium World are rigged up with all kinds of nasty effects that throw one last frustration in the path of the players, some of them with enough wards to kill everything short of an ancient dragon.

Area effect magic dispels (circles, wards, and spells all can do this) is always good. Other great solutions include: Astral Travel to recon, Teleportation (usually after said astral recon), setting off wards with something like a skeleton/animated object.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Do what people from time immemorial
http://fantasy.mrugala.net/Larry%20Elmo ... 201992.jpg

Let the barbarian do it.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Hotrod wrote:In the Baalgor Wastelands, there's a tower that is so heavily warded that no-one has been able to get to the top (where the treasure is, supposedly) since the previous occupant kicked the bucket. Many other treasure troves across the Palladium World are rigged up with all kinds of nasty effects that throw one last frustration in the path of the players, some of them with enough wards to kill everything short of an ancient dragon.

Rabbits. Lots and lots of rabbits.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

We had a conjurer that just kept on creating animals and sending them in. Took a while but he got through :D
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

Wards have some of the most hysterically easy / hard ways to get by them. Full plate and a shield? Dead meat. bucket of rats? Good to go! Depending of the GM, throwing a rock at it may also work. A dispel can get the job done. Not as classy as a bucket of rats though.
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
The Immortal ME
Explorer

Unread post by The Immortal ME »

Siege weaponry and flight? Knock holes in the walls in various places, peak through the holes to find anything that looks interesting. Once you find the good stuff you just have to defeat the wards in the immediate vicinity. Bypass the tedious series of rooms that have been warded and/or trapped.
- The Immortal ME

Sic itur ad astra.
"There are some who call me ... TIM?
(All factual statements based on personal recollection only unless otherwise attributed. May not actually be factual.)
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Of course, if he's set Permanency on the wards, all a bucket of rats will buy you is a bunch of dead rats.

As others have said, you want to reduce their effectiveness. You might try daisy-chaining Mystic Energy Drain wards.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Does a permanent ward mean that, upon activation, the effect is permanent, or does it mean that it will reactivate indefinitely? I had always interpreted it as the former.

Of course, there's always Anti-Magic Cloud, which should allow you to bypass all magical traps.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Library Ogre

I tend to interpret it as the latter... because, even if it's the former, that means your typical blaster ward is now invulnerable and shooting out fire at all targets for the next 20,000 years.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Hotrod wrote:Does a permanent ward mean that, upon activation, the effect is permanent, or does it mean that it will reactivate indefinitely? I had always interpreted it as the former.

Of course, there's always Anti-Magic Cloud, which should allow you to bypass all magical traps.

Defacing the surface the ward is on eliminates it, which would be a good idea to combine with the anti-magic cloud, or figure out how to deface them from a distance if you lack that spell.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Nightmask wrote:
Hotrod wrote:Does a permanent ward mean that, upon activation, the effect is permanent, or does it mean that it will reactivate indefinitely? I had always interpreted it as the former.

Defacing the surface the ward is on eliminates it, which would be a good idea to combine with the anti-magic cloud, or figure out how to deface them from a distance if you lack that spell.

Permanent wards are...hard to destroy. theoretically they are indestructible.

Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

eliakon wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

If you can destroy otherwise indestructible rune weapons (and you can) you can destroy a permanent ward. It's just not easy to do.

Of course a place with dozens or hundreds of such wards is highly implausible given that the Permanency ward has extremely expensive requirements to cast, such that it's REALLY unlikely that any Diabolist could produce so many.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
jade von delioch
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by jade von delioch »

You would think that there would be a skill or a set of rules for bypassing wards, even if permanent. Kind of like using the knowledge skill for ward like you would if it was say you were trying to deactivate a bomb using knowledge of how a bomb is constructed.
member of-Our Lady of the Boundless Ammo
D20 is the pollution of the game industry.. do not buy into the pollutant, buy the cool rich taste of palladium.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Nightmask wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

If you can destroy otherwise indestructible rune weapons (and you can) you can destroy a permanent ward. It's just not easy to do.

Of course a place with dozens or hundreds of such wards is highly implausible given that the Permanency ward has extremely expensive requirements to cast, such that it's REALLY unlikely that any Diabolist could produce so many.

well sure you can destroy them....but since its really hard to put a tower in a Scathach cauldron on a nexus, and Odin doesn't loan out Gungnir much its kinda hard :P

The Immortal ME
Explorer

Unread post by The Immortal ME »

eliakon wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

well sure you can destroy them....but since its really hard to put a tower in a Scathach cauldron on a nexus, and Odin doesn't loan out Gungnir much its kinda hard :P

Built the cauldron around the tower. Duh.
- The Immortal ME

Sic itur ad astra.
"There are some who call me ... TIM?
(All factual statements based on personal recollection only unless otherwise attributed. May not actually be factual.)
Library Ogre

jade von delioch wrote:You would think that there would be a skill or a set of rules for bypassing wards, even if permanent. Kind of like using the knowledge skill for ward like you would if it was say you were trying to deactivate a bomb using knowledge of how a bomb is constructed.

IIRC, the rules have it that only a Mystic Energy Drain ward can really do much to a Permanent ward (AMC is only partially effective). Make an AoE MED ward and start weakening the Permanent. If you can make a couple AoE MED wards (I think you can manage three around a single ward, without them affecting each other), you can cut it significantly.

All Palladium Articles
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Mark Hall wrote:
jade von delioch wrote:You would think that there would be a skill or a set of rules for bypassing wards, even if permanent. Kind of like using the knowledge skill for ward like you would if it was say you were trying to deactivate a bomb using knowledge of how a bomb is constructed.

IIRC, the rules have it that only a Mystic Energy Drain ward can really do much to a Permanent ward (AMC is only partially effective). Make an AoE MED ward and start weakening the Permanent. If you can make a couple AoE MED wards (I think you can manage three around a single ward, without them affecting each other), you can cut it significantly.

This is what I use
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

We use rocks, marbles, sometimes a zombie if a teammate died...We get a lot of use out of a their shell plus we don't have to carry it around. And we can also triple the time limit on resurrecting him or her. He or she might have some memories of being a zombie, 50% chance. May develop a fear of wards. Also, we've used an animated teddy bear or doll.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

relicandcheese wrote:I wonder how feasable it would be to collect a bunch of 'save versus magic' artifacts. I'm thinking that, theoretically, one could make themself impervious to a ward's effect by simply saving... no? And of course, if the character attempting this already has a decent resistance to magic, that would mean having to lug around less stuff. (There's only so many save versus amulets and rings you can wear after all.)

Eidt: Also, aquiring items which makes one resistant or impervious to the elements might be prudent.

Magic items that provide immunity to certain effects could be helpful. Building your resistance to magic to the point of immunity is not impossible, but it would require a concerted effort. Some might take a position against total immunity to something like a saving throw through an accumulation of bonuses, since most of the system's mechanics allow for a chance of failure or success (natural 20 beats everything else regardless of bonuses, max skill is never higher than 98%, et cetera), except when explicitly stated.

In terms of the rules as written, though, there is no mechanic for automatically failing a saving throw, so a strict interpretation would allow you to effectively develop immunities through steady accumulations of bonuses.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”