Heavy MD Weapons Vs Heavy Energy Weapons

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dinne
Wanderer

Heavy MD Weapons Vs Heavy Energy Weapons

Unread post by Dinne »

I have quite the little problem with my player's heavy weapon skills. I'm sure this has been covered, but I failed to find anything on it. The Words are way to common. haha

The issue is that Rifts Ultimate has the skills WP Heavy Mega Damage Weapons and WP Heavy Military Weapons. The GM Guide has WP Heavy Energy Weapons and WP Heavy Weapons. There is an obvious conflict with these skills. Heavy MD Weapons just basically encompasses all the heavy weapons and in the GM guide they have split it between two skills.

One of my players is making a Anti-Robot Headhunter "Robot Slammer" and he is upset about not getting the bonuses that would come as he levels for the weapon systems on his NG Samson if going with the GM Guide. (Weapons Systems is a separate issue. We are just trying to hash out what to do with these 4 skills, atm)

I need to know some general thoughts that you guys and gals have. You always have really good input on these matters. The overall question would be that should have all 4 skills available, or should I just take out the ultimate skills and let the GM Guide skills remain?

**Side question: Can the NG Samson hold regular weapon in it's big robot hands? :)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Heavy MD Weapons Vs Heavy Energy Weapons

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Heavy Weapons covers "Antique" non-megadamage heavy weapons like the Ma Deuce and light machineguns incapable of MDC fire (without special ammunition like Ramjets and the like). It also covers older, weaker style grenade launchers that do 2d4*10 SDC and the like.

Heavy mega Damage Weapons covers fully modernized grenade launchers and rail guns and MDC-converted machineguns.

And yes, there are special ammunition that exists to let Pre-golden-age era heavy weapons deal MDC damage, but they still use the non-mega damage heavy weapon WP, as the aiming and matiance routines would be different.

Basically, any Heavy Weapon from 1990 and prior uses heavy Weapons, any Heavy Weapon from the golden age onward uses heavy mega damage weapons.

So yes, while both say they cover "grenade launchers", a Northern Gun grenade launcher is a very different beast from a 1960's era grenade launcher. much like how W.P. Rifles dosn't really help you use Muskets. the proceedures and accurancy simply don't come close enough for the WP to apply to both kinds.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Dinne
Wanderer

Unread post by Dinne »

What do you feel about the WP skills I mentioned from GM Guide? Should I exclude those and just use the Rifts Ultimate ones you explained?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Yeah, the Rifts Ultimate Modern Weapon W.P.'s supersede and replace the GM Guide W.P.'s. You'll notice the rules for them are different too. It all changed.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Dinne wrote:What do you feel about the WP skills I mentioned from GM Guide? Should I exclude those and just use the Rifts Ultimate ones you explained?

The Rifts Ultimate skill list trumps the Rifts GMG's skill list. in any conflict Ultimate holds. in the case of a skill or two that's in the GMG that is not in RUE, it still exists but was just cut for space.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Glistam wrote:Yeah, the Rifts Ultimate Modern Weapon W.P.'s supersede and replace the GM Guide W.P.'s. You'll notice the rules for them are different too. It all changed.

But what if you're playing by RMB because you just couldn't get the RUE?
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Svartalf wrote:
Glistam wrote:Yeah, the Rifts Ultimate Modern Weapon W.P.'s supersede and replace the GM Guide W.P.'s. You'll notice the rules for them are different too. It all changed.

Then there should be little to no issue using the Rifts: Game Master's Guide Modern W.P.'s alongside of and/or in place of the Rifts Main Book Modern W.P.'s.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

Svartalf wrote:

Isn't that a self-answering question?
If you're not using X, then do not consider X.

Or in this case, why ask about the rules of R:UE affecting the RMB when you're not using R:UE?

Dinne wrote:**Side question: Can the NG Samson hold regular weapon in it's big robot hands? :)

If by "regular weapon" you mean a non-giant-sized weapon, the answer is that he can hold it, but cannot use it like a weapon, unless that weapon gets adapted for giant hands (there are places that specifically do this).
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Dinne
Wanderer

Unread post by Dinne »

Thank you for this clarification. I feel like I should have known this! >< :)
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Nightfactory wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:a Northern Gun grenade launcher is a very different beast from a 1960's era grenade launcher.

That's debatable. :wink:

I think the thread has the right idea. I have always treated this as tech based. An advanced CS grenade launcher is W. P. Heavy M.D. Weapons, but the Welington Industries WI-GL4 or WI-GL20 grenade launchers are covered under W. P. Heavy Military Weapons even though it is MD just because the design is essentially a 20th century weapon even thought the materials and explosive are MD.

Anybody else do it this way?
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I let bonuses cover either way, as long as the WP is similar. If the weapon jams or needs to be reloaded though, you might have problems.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Yeah. Or a misfire with a grenade launcher could be tricky, or a runaway gun or an MD round exploding in an M2 because the head spacing is SNAFUed (shudder).

Return to “G.M.s Forum”