underwater lung

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

sirkermittsg
Explorer

underwater lung

Unread post by sirkermittsg »

in the coalition navy book it lists the CS naval commando as having an underwater lung as a part of their starting bionics and cybernetics.

I have looked in numerous books and cant find a description of what an underwater lung is and what it does. I have searched: RMB, RUE, CWC, Coalition Navy, Rifts Underseas, and the Game Masters Guide. and none of them indicate what it is.

I presume it is similar in nature to the bionic gills and lets you breath underwater. Any one able to tell me where to look for a description of the underwater lung?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: underwater lung

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i would also say it's supposed ot mean the bionic gill implant. given the amount of oxygen a human needs (and the amount of O2 usually suspended in water) it would need to be large, and could easily be seen as a kind of lung.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Best choice.
Rebreather lungs from Japan.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

sirkermittsg wrote:in the coalition navy book it lists the CS naval commando as having an underwater lung as a part of their starting bionics and cybernetics.

I have looked in numerous books and cant find a description of what an underwater lung is and what it does. I have searched: RMB, RUE, CWC, Coalition Navy, Rifts Underseas, and the Game Masters Guide. and none of them indicate what it is.

I presume it is similar in nature to the bionic gills and lets you breath underwater. Any one able to tell me where to look for a description of the underwater lung?

As much as I would hate to give an SW example......in episode 1 qui-gon and obi-wan use a device looking much like a mouth-peice with connected to a rod to breath under water.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
sirkermittsg wrote:in the coalition navy book it lists the CS naval commando as having an underwater lung as a part of their starting bionics and cybernetics.

As much as I would hate to give an SW example......in episode 1 qui-gon and obi-wan use a device looking much like a mouth-peice with connected to a rod to breath under water.

Then use Thunderball. It was the same type of prop.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

yes the amazing power of movie magic.

to support a human you need about a liter of oxygen each minute. to get that amount you'd have to extract it from 192 liters (52 gallons) of water. 52 gallons a minute to provide enough water to sustain a human. that is a bit under a gallon a second. and that assumes a 100% efficent process.. it likely would be a lot more.

by comparison, a typical garden hose has a flow rate of 10 gallons a minute, or .166 gallons a second. the amount of water passing through to extract enough O2 would be the equivalent of 6 garden hoses going full blast at once.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

yes the amazing power of movie magic.

to support a human you need about a liter of oxygen each minute. to get that amount you'd have to extract it from 192 liters (52 gallons) of water. 52 gallons a minute to provide enough water to sustain a human. that is a bit under a gallon a second. and that assumes a 100% efficent process.. it likely would be a lot more.

by comparison, a typical garden hose has a flow rate of 10 gallons a minute, or .166 gallons a second. the amount of water passing through to extract enough O2 would be the equivalent of 6 garden hoses going full blast at once.

Maybe the Bionic Lung in this case is like the device Steve Austin used in one episode to breathe underwater? It plugged into his nuclear power pack in his arm and efficiently broke water down into hydrogen and oxygen so he could breathe easily on the oxygen portion. So rather than actually extracting oxygen dissolved in the water like a fish it's directly breaking the water down and extracting that oxygen.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Maybe it stores dehydrated oxygen that once water is added becomes breathable air.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Could it be a reference to the "Bionic Lung with Gas Filter & Oxygen Storage Cell" system?

Return to “Rifts®”