Skelebots vs a Glitterboy

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

cosmicfish
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Hi.

Re: Skelebots vs a Glitterboy

Unread post by cosmicfish »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:It rotates 360 degrees at the waist. It's specifically mentioned.

Yes, but I was talking about rotation speed. Is it realistic that it can spin 40 tons or so 180 degrees between attacks 2-3 seconds apart?

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:The MRM's actually weren't a major factor. And your damage numbers are off.

I was showing average damage per strike. If any of them are off, please tell me which ones.

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:The major factor was the fact that mini-missiles from the SAMs were useless (the bot has enough countermissile capacity to simply nullify them) ...

Why? There are only three ways to "nullify" missiles in this case. The first is to shoot an equal number of missiles back, but the robot can only fire 4 missiles at a time while the SAMAS can each fire 6 per volley - not possible in this scenario. The second is to shoot a smaller number of missiles at the volleys, but an average of 25% (1.5 missiles) will survive each successful attempt, letting 1.5x35 = 52.5 MD through per volley. The third is to shoot them down with guns, but that is even worse, as an average of 2.1 survive, or 73.5 MD per volley. The best case for defending against N simultaneous missile volleys is for the pilot to use the arm guns on one volley and the gunners to use the mini-missile launchers on 2 more, allowing through 2x52.5 + 73.5 + (N-3)x210 MD. For N=4, that is an expected 388.5MD to the robot. I don't see that as useless.

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:and the greater armor. The railguns on the SAMs just dont pack enough punch to bring it down before the heavier weapons on the bot can 86 the SAMs.

The total damage output from the four railguns is almost exactly the same as the total capabilities of the robot in the ranges I mentioned.

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:And, again, like i said, it's about combined-arms and using tools for what they are meant for (and actually isn't dissimilar to real life). We have fast-attack vehicles now that mount anti-tank weapons that are fairly cheap (compared to a tank) that have a reasonably good chance to KO a tank (almost a 100% chance against the tanks most of our enemies use). But tanks will stil, by and large, mow infantry down in job lots and crush fortified positions. Not all tools (Giant Robots) are useful in all situations. Power Armors ARE ideal Bot-hunters in a lot of cases, and there's nothing wrong with that. That same bot, however, will absolutely obliterate infantry in job lots, and make short work of fortifications and other large threats, as well as providing interdiction capability to protect your own infantry from giant monsters/other giant robots.

I do not disagree, save for one area: In Palladium MD worlds, there is no distinction between anti-tank weapons and infantry weapons - they are one and the same. If an M4 could chew through a tank with 15-20 strikes, neither tanks nor ant-tank missiles would exist today. If you figure in tactical options available to various systems, I suspect that the ideal options center more around the availability of soldiers than anything else - robots are more powerful per crew member, but far less so per credit, and if you can hire soldiers without depletion of the populace you will have a more effective army sticking with infantry and a small PA reaction force than you will investing in ANY robots.
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

BuzzardB wrote:
Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:Yeah, if you can dig those up when you get a chance that would be great.

RUE 342 Under Two Against One

Thanks Buzz.

Colonel, this is the multiple attackers rule.

I'll check on the long-range attack one when I get the chance.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

cosmicfish wrote:
Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:It rotates 360 degrees at the waist. It's specifically mentioned.

Yes, but I was talking about rotation speed. Is it realistic that it can spin 40 tons or so 180 degrees between attacks?

Realism? Wat? Sorry, Rifts. Realism left the building back in the 90s. Since it is specifically mentioned that they use the rotation to punch and kick enemies (described as a "whirling dervish" that are large enough like giant monsters, yes, it can spin to face any direction for any given attack.

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:The MRM's actually weren't a major factor. And your damage numbers are off.

I was showing average damage per strike. If any of them are off, please tell me which ones.

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:The major factor was the fact that mini-missiles from the SAMs were useless (the bot has enough countermissile capacity to simply nullify them) ...

Why? There are only three ways to "nullify" missiles in this case. The first is to shoot an equal number of missiles back, but the robot can only fire 4 missiles at a time while the SAMAS can each fire 6 per volley - not possible in this scenario. The second is to shoot a smaller number of missiles at the volleys, but an average of 25% (1.5 missiles) will survive each successful attempt, letting 1.5x35 = 52.5 MD through per volley. The third is to shoot them down with guns, but that is even worse, as an average of 2.1 survive, or 73.5 MD per volley. The best case for defending against N simultaneous missile volleys is for the pilot to use the arm guns on one volley and the gunners to use the mini-missile launchers on 2 more, allowing through 2x52.5 + 73.5 + (N-3)x210 MD. For N=4, that is an expected 388.5MD to the robot. I don't see that as useless.

Except that isnt how the rules work at all when shooting down missiles, even in Rifts: Ultimate Fail Edition. One mini missile will suffice to counter all 6 from a SAM, if they are dumb enough to volley them all like that. And with multiple operators capable of firing the missiles, if i fire the first one to counter your volley and it DOESNT blow the whole volley, my co-pilot simply launches another. Or the gunner. Or the tech officer. Law of averages states that one of us (especially with a 75% chance) will blow the volley.

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:and the greater armor. The railguns on the SAMs just dont pack enough punch to bring it down before the heavier weapons on the bot can 86 the SAMs.

The total damage output from the four railguns is almost exactly the same as the total capabilities of the robot in the ranges I mentioned.

Except as SAM's die, all that damage potential evaporates. And since all the people operating guns in the Skullsmasher aren't stupid, theyll be focusing their efforts on one SAM at a time. In the first two rounds, two of the SAMs are already dead.

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:And, again, like i said, it's about combined-arms and using tools for what they are meant for (and actually isn't dissimilar to real life). We have fast-attack vehicles now that mount anti-tank weapons that are fairly cheap (compared to a tank) that have a reasonably good chance to KO a tank (almost a 100% chance against the tanks most of our enemies use). But tanks will stil, by and large, mow infantry down in job lots and crush fortified positions. Not all tools (Giant Robots) are useful in all situations. Power Armors ARE ideal Bot-hunters in a lot of cases, and there's nothing wrong with that. That same bot, however, will absolutely obliterate infantry in job lots, and make short work of fortifications and other large threats, as well as providing interdiction capability to protect your own infantry from giant monsters/other giant robots.

I do not disagree, save for one area: In Palladium MD worlds, there is no distinction between anti-tank weapons and infantry weapons - they are one and the same.

Not really. They are *capable* of damaging Armor, but they are not Anti-Armor weapons - they are too suicidally short ranged for that to be the case. To bring them to bear, you have to get the drop on the Armor in question (not an easy task given the sensors mounted on Robots and an alert tech officer) or cross an engagement range that is 4-100 times larger than your own. When said Armor can also obliterate an entire platoon sized force of said infantry with a single attack from a range at which the infantry can not reply or (potentially) even know they are under attack... If you're going to assume for these arguments that everyone is always within range of their weapons, then there is no point to anyone in Rifts Earth fielding anything other gunslingers dual-wielding 6d6 damage pulse pistols.

If an M4 could chew through a tank with 15-20 strikes, neither tanks nor ant-tank missiles would exist today. If you figure in tactical options available to various systems, I suspect that the ideal options center more around the availability of soldiers than anything else - robots are more powerful per crew member, but far less so per credit, and if you can hire soldiers without depletion of the populace you will have a more effective army sticking with infantry and a small PA reaction force than you will investing in ANY robots.

Right up until those infantry die without ever being able to range on the Robot. Thats my point. Im not saying Robots are the be-all, end-all (they aren't, and in a lot of cases a cash-strapped military would be a LOT better off buying *tanks* that pack almost all of that firepower into FAR cheaper packages) but they have their uses and strengths, and when applied for their strengths, can be absolutely, brutally devastating.

Now, like i said, when i get a chance ill page back through 50 pages looking for that thread and link to it, but i really want to stop hijacking this thread.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Dog_O_War wrote:
BuzzardB wrote:
Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:Yeah, if you can dig those up when you get a chance that would be great.

Thanks Buzz.

Word. That is.. incredibly limiting and borks the game balance up even more. Ill stick to it for canon arguments, but it's safe to say that rule wouldn't exist in any game im running, particularly for melee combatants... since during re-enactment and LARPing ive faced 6-7+ people at a time and been able to realistically parry (actually once you get past about 4 people, they are actually getting in each others way more than not) all of them, provided they werent behind me.

But, yeah, good to know. That makes thought exercises even more interesting, given the way it works.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
cosmicfish
Dungeon Crawler

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:Realism? Wat? Sorry, Rifts. Realism left the building back in the 90s. Since it is specifically mentioned that they use the rotation to punch and kick enemies (described as a "whirling dervish" that are large enough like giant monsters, yes, it can spin to face any direction for any given attack.

I know, which is why I didn't actually figure that into anything.

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:Except that isnt how the rules work at all when shooting down missiles, even in Rifts: Ultimate Fail Edition. One mini missile will suffice to counter all 6 from a SAM, if they are dumb enough to volley them all like that. And with multiple operators capable of firing the missiles, if i fire the first one to counter your volley and it DOESNT blow the whole volley, my co-pilot simply launches another. Or the gunner. Or the tech officer.

I disagree - I was looking at the rules when I wrote that section. I was using ultimate edition, but in BOTH books there is only ever a chance that blowing up a missile destroys the volley, and I included that chance in the calculations. That is the reason for volleys - it is hard to shoot them all down. And a plasma mini-missile only takes 3 seconds to go from launcher to target 1 mile away - meaning that you are only going to get one attempt per person per volley, and I was giving results for a simultaneous attack (because why wouldn't the PA coordinate their efforts?).

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:Except as SAM's die, all that damage potential evaporates. And since all the people operating guns in the Skullsmasher aren't stupid, theyll be focusing their efforts on one SAM at a time. In the first two rounds, two of the SAMs are already dead.

Not if the SAMAS are moving at speed. You need an 8 to strike, and your typical 3-5th level Coalition RPA pilot will have (assuming 4th level) 5 attacks (3 from HTH Expert, 2 from RCE) with a +1 to strike (from RCE). They will be a -6 to hit SAMAS going 300 mph, so they will need to roll at least a 13 (40%) to even have a chance of hitting, meaning that they land, per shooter, 2 strikes per round. Ignoring for the moment the missiles, the guns will do only 202 MD per round combined to all attackers, and that is assuming that the SAMAS are not attempting to either evade or dodge.

Incidentally, SAMAS pilots of the same level will have the same number of attacks and +2 to strike. They will face only a -2 to strike the robot at its full speed of 90mph, so will hit 60% of the time, half again as often. And with +5 to dodge, they will successfully dodge 48% of the time, meaning the average damage to the is only 96 MD per round from gunfire, in best case conditions.

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:Not really. They are *capable* of damaging Armor, but they are not Anti-Armor weapons - they are too suicidally short ranged for that to be the case. To bring them to bear, you have to get the drop on the Armor in question (not an easy task given the sensors mounted on Robots and an alert tech officer) or cross an engagement range that is 4-100 times larger than your own. When said Armor can also obliterate an entire platoon sized force of said infantry with a single attack from a range at which the infantry can not reply or (potentially) even know they are under attack... If you're going to assume for these arguments that everyone is always within range of their weapons, then there is no point to anyone in Rifts Earth fielding anything other gunslingers dual-wielding 6d6 damage pulse pistols.

Missiles and explosive projectiles are the only really good defense against infantry - lasers and such will only take out one at a time. A couple of dozen base infantry can do a lot of damage, even if they designate a few specifically to shoot down missile attacks. Range is indeed an issue, but even the best robot direct-fire weapons only have an 11,000 ft range, and with terrain and use of even moderate cover (remember that we are not on a featureless plain here) it is not as much of an issue as you seem to think.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

cosmicfish wrote:
Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:Realism? Wat? Sorry, Rifts. Realism left the building back in the 90s. Since it is specifically mentioned that they use the rotation to punch and kick enemies (described as a "whirling dervish" that are large enough like giant monsters, yes, it can spin to face any direction for any given attack.

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:Except that isnt how the rules work at all when shooting down missiles, even in Rifts: Ultimate Fail Edition. One mini missile will suffice to counter all 6 from a SAM, if they are dumb enough to volley them all like that. And with multiple operators capable of firing the missiles, if i fire the first one to counter your volley and it DOESNT blow the whole volley, my co-pilot simply launches another. Or the gunner. Or the tech officer.

I disagree - I was looking at the rules when I wrote that section. I was using ultimate edition, but in BOTH books there is only ever a chance that blowing up a missile destroys the volley, and I included that chance in the calculations. That is the reason for volleys - it is hard to shoot them all down. And a plasma mini-missile only takes 3 seconds to go from launcher to target 1 mile away - meaning that you are only going to get one attempt per person per volley, and I was giving results for a simultaneous attack (because why wouldn't the PA coordinate their efforts?).

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:Except as SAM's die, all that damage potential evaporates. And since all the people operating guns in the Skullsmasher aren't stupid, theyll be focusing their efforts on one SAM at a time. In the first two rounds, two of the SAMs are already dead.

Not if the SAMAS are moving at speed. You need an 8 to strike, and your typical 3-5th level Coalition RPA pilot will have (assuming 4th level) 5 attacks (3 from HTH Expert, 2 from RCE) with a +1 to strike (from RCE). They will be a -6 to hit SAMAS going 300 mph, so they will need to roll at least a 13 (40%) to even have a chance of hitting, meaning that they land, per shooter, 2 strikes per round. Ignoring for the moment the missiles, the guns will do only 202 MD per round combined to all attackers, and that is assuming that the SAMAS are not attempting to either evade or dodge.

Incidentally, SAMAS pilots of the same level will have the same number of attacks and +2 to strike. They will face only a -2 to strike the robot at its full speed of 90mph, so will hit 60% of the time, half again as often. And with +5 to dodge, they will successfully dodge 48% of the time, meaning the average damage to the is only 96 MD per round from gunfire, in best case conditions.

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:Not really. They are *capable* of damaging Armor, but they are not Anti-Armor weapons - they are too suicidally short ranged for that to be the case. To bring them to bear, you have to get the drop on the Armor in question (not an easy task given the sensors mounted on Robots and an alert tech officer) or cross an engagement range that is 4-100 times larger than your own. When said Armor can also obliterate an entire platoon sized force of said infantry with a single attack from a range at which the infantry can not reply or (potentially) even know they are under attack... If you're going to assume for these arguments that everyone is always within range of their weapons, then there is no point to anyone in Rifts Earth fielding anything other gunslingers dual-wielding 6d6 damage pulse pistols.

Missiles and explosive projectiles are the only really good defense against infantry - lasers and such will only take out one at a time. A couple of dozen base infantry can do a lot of damage, even if they designate a few specifically to shoot down missile attacks. Range is indeed an issue, but even the best robot direct-fire weapons only have an 11,000 ft range, and with terrain and use of even moderate cover (remember that we are not on a featureless plain here) it is not as much of an issue as you seem to think.

Unsure what part of "please stop hijacking this thread" was difficult for you to fathom, but im not going to reply to this here. New thread started. Reply there. Let this thread get back to the original topic.
BuzzardB
Explorer

Unread post by BuzzardB »

Dog_O_War wrote:
BuzzardB wrote:

Thanks Buzz.

No probs, I can't help with the first strike being a crit one though, I went through the book with a fine-tooth Ctrl-F and didn't see anything like that.
cosmicfish
Dungeon Crawler

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:Unsure what part of "please stop hijacking this thread" was difficult for you to fathom,

Well, that would be part where "i really want to stop hijacking this thread" occurred at the end of a long post to which I had already responded to the bulk of your final statement, also the part where it was not a request so much as a statement of your own intent and which did not include any invitation or suggestion to continue the conversation elsewhere.

If you had said "hey, we're off topic, let's get a new thread going to discuss this", that is what I would have done.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Question? Where is it written that all skelbots weapons only shoot bursts? (I don't really use them much, and when I do I use regular infantry weapons for them so I could easily have missed it.)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

eliakon wrote:Question? Where is it written that all skelbots weapons only shoot bursts? (I don't really use them much, and when I do I use regular infantry weapons for them so I could easily have missed it.)

the CV-213 can shoot single shots (2d6MD), burst fires for 4d6, and is a variable laser, but is being phased out (the new Skelebots dont carry it).
The "Dead Man" Rail gun can also fire single shots, for a paltry 1d4 MD. Bursts for 4d6. The Old Skelebots can carry it, but it is not made clear if they are re-armed or keep the CV-213.
BuzzardB
Explorer

Unread post by BuzzardB »

eliakon wrote:Question? Where is it written that all skelbots weapons only shoot bursts? (I don't really use them much, and when I do I use regular infantry weapons for them so I could easily have missed it.)

Not sure, from what I saw in CWC it doesn't say its a Burst, just has two settings. 2d6 and 4d6
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

BuzzardB wrote:

Not sure, from what I saw in CWC it doesn't say its a Burst, just has two settings. 2d6 and 4d6

Known error. It is a variable frequency version of the C-12, and it is a long-known issue that has come straight from the Mouth of Kevin that the 4d6 "setting" is the 5-shot burst described in the fluff text. It's also fluctuated in a couple of books. The CV-212 went to having a 3-shot 6d6 Pulse for no reason in early printings of CWC, and then back, etc.

KC could probably describe it better, as i believe he is the one that directly approached Kevin about it at an Open House a while back.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
BuzzardB wrote:

Known error. It is a variable frequency version of the C-12, and it is a long-known issue that has come straight from the Mouth of Kevin that the 4d6 "setting" is the 5-shot burst described in the fluff text. It's also fluctuated in a couple of books. The CV-212 went to having a 3-shot 6d6 Pulse for no reason in early printings of CWC, and then back, etc.

KC could probably describe it better, as i believe he is the one that directly approached Kevin about it at an Open House a while back.

Okay, I was just checking, since I wanted to know if they can make called shots.
So yes, they can...but at 2d6.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
cosmicfish wrote:

Unsure what part of "please stop hijacking this thread" was difficult for you to fathom, but im not going to reply to this here. New thread started. Reply there. Let this thread get back to the original topic.

Your not the OP pr a mod. Chillax.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

eliakon wrote:
Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
BuzzardB wrote:

Okay, I was just checking, since I wanted to know if they can make called shots.
So yes, they can...but at 2d6.

Okay, here's what I've said about the CV-213 in the past. I forget if it's the most recent thing, but it seems pretty clear:

Killer Cyborg wrote:The CV-213 is the same gun as the CV-212 (which is the same as the C-12).
Note that originally (SB1) the ROF was Aimed, Burst, Wild- just like the original C-12 ROF (Rifts), and just like the CV-212's original ROF (SB1).
Unlike the other two, the CV-213 does not specifically mention (that I can find) any preset burst option, but it does mention that it's "the robot modified version of the Coalition's CV-212."
The only differences between the 212 and the 213 that are mentioned in the 213's description are that the VF control is linked to the robot's combat computer instead of controlled manually, and the weapon links to the robot's nuclear power supply.
As written, the weapon was originally a badass terror capable of firing long bursts of 4d6x5 MD every single attack without ever running out of ammunition. That's how I played it, which is one reason why skelebots were universally feared in my games.
But then, other than the unlimited ammo, that's how I played the C-12, and I was wrong.
Because whatever else is going on, it's pretty clear that the original ROF of Aimed, Burst, Wild for the C-12 was a genuine error on Palladium's part: it directly conflicts with the preset burst described, and this was quickly corrected in CWC.
Which is where the CV-213's ROF was also changed (fixed) to "Equal to the number of hand to hand attacks."

My take on all this is that one of two things has gone on with the CV-213:
1. The weapon was always supposed to be a burst-capable weapon with a preset burst option, just like it's brethren. The mention of the 5-shot burst was accidentally eliminated in the description section when the text was altered to include the two changes to the weapon. Even though the weapon should have changed along with the other weapons since CWC, it has been overlooked due to the simple fact that it's in the Skelebot description section instead of the weapons section.
The writers/editors have just done what most other people do: skip the entry assuming that it's the same as the CV-212.
So it's description is essentially a fossil from a previous age, evidence that the C-12's 4d6 setting is a burst setting, because it's still there in the CV-213 as a reminder of the weapons' original descriptions.
If A=B, and B=C, then A=C again: the CV-212 is the same gun as the CV-213, and since the CV-212 clearly mentions having a preset burst option, then the CV-213 also has one, whether it's mentioned or not.
Never in the CV-213's description does it mention anything about only firing single shots: the 4d6 setting is still the burst setting, just like with the other two guns (originally).
To me, this makes the most sense. Overlooking a gun and cutting-and-pasting the description for a couple decades seems perfectly in line with the kind of mistake that Palladium usually makes (cutting and pasting instead of actually rewriting, and constantly failing to update or clarify things).

2. The weapon was different from the outset, always intended to be a single-shot weapon with two single-shot settings, one for 2d6 MD and one for 4d6 MD. That is why the burst setting is never mentioned- it's not there.
The weapon has never been updated since CWC not because it was overlooked, but because it has actually remained the same the entire time.
I think that this option is less likely, simply because the stats look like they were as brief as possible, cribbed from the other weapons with the assumption that we'd look at the 212 if we needed a full description.
But let's say that this option is correct.
In that case, then this weapon has no real bearing on the C-12 or CV-212 at all- it was always intended to work differently. That's why it never mentioned a burst setting but the other two weapons did. That's why it wasn't upgraded to a pulse weapon when the CV-212 was, because it had no burst setting to adapt.
It could be argued that the CV-212 DOES work the same as the other two, and it's the only version that the writers got right, but that would require an assumption that the writers failed to notice that the other two weapons mentioned a burst setting, even though the writers made modification to that rule.

If the CV-212 and 213 are supposed to be the same weapon, then in CWC one of two things happened:
-The writers simply failed to update the 213 for the reasons mentioned.
or
-The writers accidentally updated the CV-212 to have a pul se feature it never should have had, based on a burst feature that it should have never had, based on a burst feature that the C-12 never should have had, AND that this error was not only never noticed by the writers, even though the C-12's burst feature was updated to be a 3-shot burst and the CV-212's stats were put back into place after the RUE 1st printing stat-swapping without the writers noticing that the stats shouldn't have fit that weapon too.

Basically, the simplest explanation that fits the facts is that the CV-213's 4d6 MD setting is a burst setting (either 5-shot like the original C-12, or 3-shot like the most recent RUE version that I am aware of).
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Where do you come up with 78.5?
The GBs damage on average is ((1+2+3+4+5+6)/6)*3*10=105/ attack 5% chance of critical (or does level 5 get crit on 19+?) and 35% chance to miss. So 4 hits, 3 misses and no crits at 105 MD average per SUCCESSFUL attack. Only four skelebots make it and the next four get destroyed as the next turn starts when they engage the GB. What's required to hit roll for point blank per RUE? The first robot rolls to grapple, GB simultaneous strikes with his first attack and destroys the skelebot that jumps at him, same goes for each other one. At a quarter mile a GB has a good chance of taking out 8 FASSAR-20s maybe 10 depending on point blank rules. While the GB would be over run by the FASSAR-30s only being able to kill two at range and not being able to despose of them before they grappled with sumultanious attacks.

So let's explore that for a moment. I'll be generous and say that of the GB pilot's 7 attacks, 5 will be hits and 2 will miss.
- If charged by 8 original FASSAR-20s (100 MDC) then 5 will be destroyed while closing the gap, and 3 will arrive unharmed. Three skelebots should be enough to gang tackle the GB, but that will largely depend on the individual actions of the GB pilot and whether the Skelebots can get "inside" of the Boomgun's reach.
- If charged by 8 of the newer FASSAR-30s (150 MDC) then only 2 will be destroyed, while 1 damaged and 5 unharmed will arrive. Six skelebots is certainly enough to gang tackle a GB.

(Note - I have a common sense approach to Simultaneous Attacks that limits it to one opponent, not the whole gang. And if someone uses Simultaneous Attack then they lose their ability to "parry up to three attackers" since they are too busy attacking.)

In either case, at the start of the next round sufficient numbers arrive in melee range to grapple the GB.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Mack wrote:
The GBs damage on average is ((1+2+3+4+5+6)/6)*3*10=105/ attack 5% chance of critical (or does level 5 get crit on 19+?) and 35% chance to miss. So 4 hits, 3 misses and no crits at 105 MD average per SUCCESSFUL attack. Only four skelebots make it and the next four get destroyed as the next turn starts when they engage the GB. What's required to hit roll for point blank per RUE? The first robot rolls to grapple, GB simultaneous strikes with his first attack and destroys the skelebot that jumps at him, same goes for each other one. At a quarter mile a GB has a good chance of taking out 8 FASSAR-20s maybe 10 depending on point blank rules. While the GB would be over run by the FASSAR-30s only being able to kill two at range and not being able to despose of them before they grappled with sumultanious attacks.

So let's explore that for a moment. I'll be generous and say that of the GB pilot's 7 attacks, 5 will be hits and 2 will miss.
- If charged by 8 original FASSAR-20s (100 MDC) then 5 will be destroyed while closing the gap, and 3 will arrive unharmed. Three skelebots should be enough to gang tackle the GB, but that will largely depend on the individual actions of the GB pilot and whether the Skelebots can get "inside" of the Boomgun's reach.
- If charged by 8 of the newer FASSAR-30s (150 MDC) then only 2 will be destroyed, while 1 damaged and 5 unharmed will arrive. Six skelebots is certainly enough to gang tackle a GB.

(Note - I have a common sense approach to Simultaneous Attacks that limits it to one opponent, not the whole gang. And if someone uses Simultaneous Attack then they lose their ability to "parry up to three attackers" since they are too busy attacking.)

In either case, at the start of the next round sufficient numbers

Also the idea that a skelbot will be 'one shot' is presuming that the GB rolls a 10+ on 3d6. Which, is average true, but counting on all 5 hits to be 100MD plus seems...unnaturally optimistic.
And those 'simo attack defenses?' There is a very good chance that those would be wild shots....and since the GB can not dodge the incoming fire, AND be anchored....he either has to accept all the incoming enemy fire, OR he has to send his fire down range as wild shots. Which suddenly makes the idea of taking out the majority of his foes...less likely.

Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

eliakon wrote:Also the idea that a skelbot will be 'one shot' is presuming that the GB rolls a 10+ on 3d6. Which, is average true, but counting on all 5 hits to be 100MD plus seems...unnaturally optimistic.

I don't dispute you, but it will work out on average. Out of the 4,320 possible outcomes (3D6x10, and a 1D20 roll to strike) the GB will get a hit 3,024 times (70%). Of the hits, 1,967 (65.05%) of them will be "one-shot kills. The remainder (34.95%) will injure but not kill a Skelebot.

(Note - this is why in my original post I used an average 78.75 MD, because I calculated all 4,320 outcomes of 3D6x10 and the 1D20 roll to strike.)

I agree that's it's imperfect, but we have to use some generalizations to work through the scenario. I could build a spreadsheet to model the encounter, but the results would be the same over the long run.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

That odd-looking 65.05 percentage is due to natural 20 doubling, I take it?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Tor wrote:That odd-looking 65.05 percentage is due to natural 20 doubling, I take it?

That's correct.

Of course, there's also the rare occurrence when two hits from the Boomgun are not enough to kill a Skelebot, but that should be rare enough to be insignificant. (I might do the math on it later.)
[EDIT - that's somewhere less than one-fifth of one percent.]
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Out of curiosity, if 3 skelebots do get into melee range with the GB, how do you expect that to play out?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

flatline wrote:Out of curiosity, if 3 skelebots do get into melee range with the GB, how do you expect that to play out?

Here's where I get more speculative... too many variables that a GM and player would have to decide.

All three attempt to climb the Glitterboy and immobilize the Boomgun. The GB may get a shot off and destroy one, and for the sake of this discussion we'll say he does. That leaves two Skelebots that scale up to the Glitterboy's shoulder. Each Skelebot has the same strength as the Glitterboy, so together they should be able to "out-grapple" him and keep the Boomgun pointed in a safe direction. Imagine if one bear-hugs the right-arm and Boomgun. Then they go to work with vibro-blades to disable the Boomgun. After that, it's just a matter of time. The Skelebots maintain their position and keep cutting until it's over.

Now, obviously that doesn't account for any special Kung-Fu moves that the Glitterboy may whip out, but in an average encounter I see that as rather unlikely.

Like I said, there's a fair bit of speculation there, but I figure three to one has a reasonable enough margin to say the Skelebots would win.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Mack wrote:
eliakon wrote:Also the idea that a skelbot will be 'one shot' is presuming that the GB rolls a 10+ on 3d6. Which, is average true, but counting on all 5 hits to be 100MD plus seems...unnaturally optimistic.

I don't dispute you, but it will work out on average. Out of the 4,320 possible outcomes (3D6x10, and a 1D20 roll to strike) the GB will get a hit 3,024 times (70%). Of the hits, 1,967 (65.05%) of them will be "one-shot kills. The remainder (34.95%) will injure but not kill a Skelebot.

(Note - this is why in my original post I used an average 78.75 MD, because I calculated all 4,320 outcomes of 3D6x10 and the 1D20 roll to strike.)

I agree that's it's imperfect, but we have to use some generalizations to work through the scenario. I could build a spreadsheet to model the encounter, but the results would be the same over the long run.

*Nods* That actually makes a lot of sense. And It does not seem like the results vary much either way. If there are 8 or more skelbots the GB is in trouble. If there are less skelbots, then it might be relevant.

runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

I think if the Skelbots took cover within maximum shot range of the GB and all used called shots on the Boomgun wouldn't take too many to disable the gun and using cover rules the GB not going to hit nearly as often. I know the bots have limited strategy but it sure would save the CS some money to give them some self preservation strategy against such a familiar limited option opponent. My 2 cents
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I think it depends on the available cover. If it's just boulders, it won't help. The boom gun would go through and targeting with multi-optics would realistically negate the need for called shots.

if the cover is mega-damage, then that's a different story.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Dog_O_War
Champion

Dog_O_War wrote:
BuzzardB wrote:

Thanks Buzz.

I forgot there is a caveat attached to the long-range attack thing.
R:UE pg 346 under Long-Range Attack or Ranged Attack wrote:An attack done at a distance using a long-range weapon, magic or power. Provided the attacker is not seen, the defender automatically loses initiative and may not dodge the first attack that melee round from a long-range attack.

Given the scenario has them just set to engage each other, it's indeterminate whether this would play a factor.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

eliakon wrote:
Mack wrote:

In either case, at the start of the next round sufficient numbers

Also the idea that a skelbot will be 'one shot' is presuming that the GB rolls a 10+ on 3d6. Which, is average true, but counting on all 5 hits to be 100MD plus seems...unnaturally optimistic.
And those 'simo attack defenses?' There is a very good chance that those would be wild shots....and since the GB can not dodge the incoming fire, AND be anchored....he either has to accept all the incoming enemy fire, OR he has to send his fire down range as wild shots. Which suddenly makes the idea of taking out the majority of his foes...less likely.

I understand this but the OP used "averages" soif were going to use averages they should be used correctly. That means hit averages and and damage averages don't relate unless it is on the same object which these are not.
Last edited by Zer0 Kay on Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Mack wrote:

In either case, at the start of the next round sufficient numbers arrive in melee range to grapple the GB.

that's nice, but this isn't a conversation of your house rules.
Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Mack wrote:

Good thing I didn't mention any. :wink:

Simultaneous Attack is intended for a single opponent, not a gaggle. And using Simultaneous Attack requires the user to forego any parry. (RUE p347)
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Dog_O_War
Champion

Mack wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Mack wrote:

Simultaneous Attack is intended for a single opponent, not a gaggle. And using Simultaneous Attack requires the user to forego any parry. (RUE p347)

Actually, the caveat is that they give up their ability to parry or dodge "the next attack". Only the next person in the round-robin will be able to strike without fear of retaliation.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Dog_O_War wrote:
Mack wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Mack wrote:

Actually, the caveat is that they give up their ability to parry or dodge "the next attack". Only the next person in the round-robin will be able to strike without fear of retaliation.

So
Skelbot 1 attacks
GB Simo attacks the bot
Skelbot 2 attacks....GB gets no defense.
Skelbot 3 attacks GB Simos
Skelbot 4 attacks GB again gets no defense
Ect...

Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

eliakon wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:Actually, the caveat is that they give up their ability to parry or dodge "the next attack". Only the next person in the round-robin will be able to strike without fear of retaliation.

So
Skelbot 1 attacks
GB Simo attacks the bot
Ect...

I disagree. It would be:

Skelebot 1 attacks
GB Simo attacks in return
Skelebot 2 attacks....GB gets no defense.
Skelebot 3 attacks....GB gets no defense.
Skelebot 4 attacks....GB gets no defense.
etc.

To do otherwise grants the defender (the GB in this case) a ridiculous number of "free" attacks. If he gets attacked by 100 opponents, does he get 50 "free" attacks?

Simultaneous Attack is clearly written for a single opponent, not multiple.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Mack wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:Actually, the caveat is that they give up their ability to parry or dodge "the next attack". Only the next person in the round-robin will be able to strike without fear of retaliation.

So
Skelbot 1 attacks
GB Simo attacks the bot
Ect...

I disagree. It would be:

Skelebot 1 attacks
etc.

To do otherwise grants the defender (the GB in this case) a ridiculous number of "free" attacks. If he gets attacked by 100 opponents, does he get 50 "free" attacks?

Even if he gets to simo bot 3...he still has to have attacks. Unlike dodge it doesn't say he can 'borrow' attacks. That said I would think that it works like this
GB AttacksSkelbot 1 attacks
GB Simo's
Skelbot 2 attacks, no defense
Skelbot 3-8 all attack, normal defenses
GB attack comes up again...but he used it, so he passes

The simo isn't a free attack, its using up your next attack....which means your next attack, not your next 50 attacks.
1 v 1 there is little difference (not no difference but little) 1 v many though it really shows.

Dog_O_War
Champion

eliakon wrote:

So
Skelbot 1 attacks
GB Simo attacks the bot
Ect...

The Glitterboy would not get a defence against Skelebots 4+ anyways. Even if he has otherwise "lost" his ability to defend against Skelebot 2, it still counts against the number of attackers he's otherwise able to react to; you could game the system by only simultaneously attacking the third guy though, since you're not getting a defence against him anyways.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Dog_O_War
Champion

Mack wrote:
eliakon wrote:

So
Skelbot 1 attacks
GB Simo attacks the bot
Ect...

I disagree. It would be:

Skelebot 1 attacks
etc.

We're discussing RAW, not RAI; it doesn't matter what it was intended for, it is within the same sphere as what the encounter entails, and the rule states only the next attack. It doesn't even say it has to be from the same opponent.
Besides, he can only react to three guys maximum anyways. I've pointed out this disparity within the system before and nobody seems to care.
What's worse is if he had an area-affecting weapon; the rule for simultaneous attack states the defender is unable to dodge or parry, and if he's laying out an area-attack, nobody gets to dodge or parry because that's how the rule is written.

That's part of the problem; the rules do not work the way they were intended, which is why a group of skelebots can't beat a Glitterboy. I mean, it's super-heroic for the Glitterboy, and a huge ego-boost for the player playing him, but as it is apparent, it's a bit skewed.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Dog, it's not a discussion about the rules, but about comparatiive real tactics using skelebots vs a GB. There was another thread for this before and it spent 15 pages literally going nowhere. Let's not do the same thing here.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Mack wrote:
flatline wrote:Out of curiosity, if 3 skelebots do get into melee range with the GB, how do you expect that to play out?

Here's where I get more speculative... too many variables that a GM and player would have to decide.

All three attempt to climb the Glitterboy and immobilize the Boomgun. The GB may get a shot off and destroy one, and for the sake of this discussion we'll say he does. That leaves two Skelebots that scale up to the Glitterboy's shoulder. Each Skelebot has the same strength as the Glitterboy, so together they should be able to "out-grapple" him and keep the Boomgun pointed in a safe direction. Imagine if one bear-hugs the right-arm and Boomgun. Then they go to work with vibro-blades to disable the Boomgun. After that, it's just a matter of time. The Skelebots maintain their position and keep cutting until it's over.

Now, obviously that doesn't account for any special Kung-Fu moves that the Glitterboy may whip out, but in an average encounter I see that as rather unlikely.

Like I said, there's a fair bit of speculation there, but I figure three to one has a reasonable enough margin to say the Skelebots would win.

Can't bearhug AND attack with vibroblades. A bearhug requires both arms
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Thank goodness this usually won't work on players in a game. They'll need to send more skelebots, there usually isn't JUST the Glitterboy.

Crazy: Hey looks like you have some bugs on you.
Skelebots: (slash, slash)
GB: Uh, yeah could ya help some?
Crazy: (takes of his flip-flop) Alright, you flick em off and I'll swat them.
GB: (turns head and looks at crazy, a glare even the crazy can feel through the helmet) Really? You have to be having an episode now?
Crazy:(looks hurt and then sticks a finger up in the air, like he has an idea, and drops his flip flop and pulls out his tongs and baggie of feecies) Ooooohh! You want me to pluck them off and dip them in chocolate!
GB: (face pal...)
GM: OOC- you can't face palm you've got two skelebots somehow bearhugging your arms and slashing you at the same time
GB: OOC- Fine I expend an attack and make a called/restrained punch with my palm to my forehead and don't dodge!
GM: OOC- :lol:
GB: OOC- :lol:
Crazy: OOC- .... :| what?
Juicer: (slashes at skelebots neck, GM willing to get encounter over with allows one hit disable) Here (hands knife to GB) that is why you need a melee weapon.
Dog_O_War
Champion

Alrik Vas wrote:Dog, it's not a discussion about the rules, but about comparatiive real tactics using skelebots vs a GB. There was another thread for this before and it spent 15 pages literally going nowhere. Let's not do the same thing here.

Well it doesn't seem that real of a tactic for 8 people to run a 1/4 mile so they can fist-fight a 2-ton giant.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
cosmicfish
Dungeon Crawler

Dog_O_War wrote:Well it doesn't seem that real of a tactic for 8 people to run a 1/4 mile so they can fist-fight a 2-ton giant.

Skelebots aren't people, no matter what the Campaign for Skelebot Rights tells you. They are soulless killing machines with no sense of self-preservation that would supersede a command or observed advantage in destroying a glitterboy.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

cosmicfish wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:Well it doesn't seem that real of a tactic for 8 people to run a 1/4 mile so they can fist-fight a 2-ton giant.

Skelebots aren't people, no matter what the Campaign for Skelebot Rights tells you. They are soulless killing machines with no sense of self-preservation that would supersede a command or observed advantage in destroying a glitterboy.

True dat. But if they're able to go undetected at 1/4 mile why not just hide until the GB is on top of them to ensure victory?
cosmicfish
Dungeon Crawler

Zer0 Kay wrote:True dat. But if they're able to go undetected at 1/4 mile why not just hide until the GB is on top of them to ensure victory?

It would be based on the tactical situation. Perhaps 1/4 miles is the closest approach the GB makes, so waiting would just mean letting it escape. Perhaps they are engaging the GB specifically because it is firing on Coalition forces, so waiting would come at the cost of other units. Perhaps they are receiving direct orders from a Coalition officer who is an idiot. Lots of possibilities.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Dog_O_War wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:Dog, it's not a discussion about the rules, but about comparatiive real tactics using skelebots vs a GB. There was another thread for this before and it spent 15 pages literally going nowhere. Let's not do the same thing here.

Well it doesn't seem that real of a tactic for 8 people to run a 1/4 mile so they can fist-fight a 2-ton giant.

Most people can't run 90 mph, and most people aren't as strong as a 2-ton giant.
Most people aren't robots.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Dog_O_War
Champion

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:

Most people can't run 90 mph, and most people aren't as strong as a 2-ton giant.

I know all this. I just said that to put things in perspective and because it sounded kinda funny.

But that doesn't address the matter of guns; they have them and their basic tactic is to use them, not to run at the enemy while not shooting back so they can dog-pile him. That just isn't in the Skelebot-playbook.

The tactic presented just isn't one they possess; CWC says they're reasonably intelligent, but it says nothing about a hive-mind, martyr-like tendencies, or their penchant for not shooting those railguns of theirs; it kinda says that they've been programmed to be nasty to D-Bees, not sacrificial group-tactics against Glitterboys.

So if this is about real tactics, then what was presented, while smart from a purely numbers/cost means nothing perspective, it is not a feasible tactic from most any other perspective. And I was told that this "wasn't about the rules", but that seems to be a bigger issue here; how to avoid getting shot to death from simultaneous attacks. Simultaneous Attacks are purely a function of the rules; in reality, you can't just decide to ignore how fast you are reacting to simply react instantly and shoot your opponent, but that's what simo assumes.

Basically, none of this makes sense; either the rules are the primary concern, or they're not. And if "real tactics" are of a concern, then what is presented is not a real tactic.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Dog_O_War wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:

I know all this. I just said that to put things in perspective and because it sounded kinda funny.

But that doesn't address the matter of guns; they have them and their basic tactic is to use them, not to run at the enemy while not shooting back so they can dog-pile him. That just isn't in the Skelebot-playbook.

The tactic presented just isn't one they possess; CWC says they're reasonably intelligent, but it says nothing about a hive-mind, martyr-like tendencies, or their penchant for not shooting those railguns of theirs; it kinda says that they've been programmed to be nasty to D-Bees, not sacrificial group-tactics against Glitterboys.

So if this is about real tactics, then what was presented, while smart from a purely numbers/cost means nothing perspective, it is not a feasible tactic from most any other perspective. And I was told that this "wasn't about the rules", but that seems to be a bigger issue here; how to avoid getting shot to death from simultaneous attacks. Simultaneous Attacks are purely a function of the rules; in reality, you can't just decide to ignore how fast you are reacting to simply react instantly and shoot your opponent, but that's what simo assumes.

Basically, none of this makes sense; either the rules are the primary concern, or they're not. And if "real tactics" are of a concern, then what is presented is not a real tactic.

Two issues.
1) I don't see a reason why skelebots WOULDN'T be self-sacrificing. If the optimal strategy to destroy a GB requires that they sacrifice 4 skelbots. then four skelbots will be sacrificed....its Optimal after all yes?

2) I think the problem with the Simo is that what used to be a H2H maneuver got carried over to ranged combat. I blame the cut and pasting but there it is.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

How would you know what their play book is?

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Killer Cyborg wrote:How would you know what their play book is?

The same way that some one can say "no that makes no sense"
Or the same way that we can deduce what a GB would do, or the CS....we have to make some assumptions. Though I guess we could also just throw up our hands and say "Its all ineffable, we shall never know what anyone shall do."
But considering that the Skelbots in Tolkeen were obviously willing to follow some destructive orders......

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

eliakon wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:

Two issues.
1) I don't see a reason why skelebots WOULDN'T be self-sacrificing. If the optimal strategy to destroy a GB requires that they sacrifice 4 skelbots. then four skelbots will be sacrificed....its Optimal after all yes?

2) I think the problem with the Simo is that what used to be a H2H maneuver got carried over to ranged combat. I blame the cut and pasting but there it is.

Who was using simo as range? A firearm fired at point blank is HtH.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

eliakon wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:How would you know what their play book is?

The same way that some one can say "no that makes no sense"
Or the same way that we can deduce what a GB would do, or the CS....we have to make some assumptions. Though I guess we could also just throw up our hands and say "Its all ineffable, we shall never know what anyone shall do."
But considering that the Skelbots in Tolkeen were obviously willing to follow some destructive orders......

I was asking Dog, since he was the one claiming that it wasn't in their play book.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

As for Simone attacks, they were NEVER restricted to HTH combat.

Return to “Rifts®”