an idea about mdc and rifts

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Mmmm...Amber...

Mmmm...Jeweler's Rouge...

All for want of a gift for a favoured sister...and a hastily discarded dusty cloth... :lol:
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
sinestus
Adventurer

Unread post by sinestus »

could always have fun with it (i did this to a player once in Rifts)...

where everything converts over at like... 1/12th it's origional size (and thus stats)...

so an MDC gun is still UBER, but the guy toating it only stands about a foot tall.. .

and thus must live in fear every time he steps outta his armor ('cause you can't sleep in it all the time...)
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

Meat_Puppet wrote:I think they just said that because power gamers were trying to go from Rifts to the Palladium world and be like gods with their MDC weapons and armor.

It wasnt the power gamers doing that, it was the munchkins. You know, the guys who were playing RIFTs, and were upset cause they would only have 200 MDC, and only be able to dish out 100 per round...

--
GS
:bandit:
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Here are my suggestions for dealing with MDC in an SDC universe:

1. Just change all the stuff to SDC. Rifts do funky things.
2. Anything made out of high tech plastic or ceramic material crumbles. Rifts do funky things.
3. Read Transdimensional TMNT. It is extremely good and the Temporal Energy rules cover things very well.
4. Just let them have their MDC.
What're they going to do, use their laser guns in a dungeon-crawl? Who'll dig them out?
So they conquer a kingdom or two...
What're they gonna do? Stay in their armor ALL the frickin' time and never eat anything?
Or will they get poisoned or assassinated at the first opportunity?
Plenty of spells still work on people in EBA.
I'd let Rune weapons still damage megadamage stuff, even if the runeswords don't do MD. Maybe half damage or something.
There are plenty of ways to kill people, no matter what gear they have.
Try it. If you run into trouble, ask me for ideas. I have a zillion.
5. Dimensions are tricky. Maybe the Rifts dimension version of Megadamage is actually just normal damage in certain other planes. Maybe the Rifts version of SDC is actually Trivial Damage Capacity, with a 100 to 1 ratio to other Dimension's SDC.
Heck, maybe there's a version of Palladium Fantasy World out there that's Gigadamage...
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
sinestus
Adventurer

Unread post by sinestus »

Killer Cyborg wrote:5. Dimensions are tricky. Maybe the Rifts dimension version of Megadamage is actually just normal damage in certain other planes. Maybe the Rifts version of SDC is actually Trivial Damage Capacity, with a 100 to 1 ratio to other Dimension's SDC.
Heck, maybe there's a version of Palladium Fantasy World out there that's Gigadamage...

hello wormwood...

as for GD... there are rules for it (in a rifter i believe)...

then again, you could always nickle and dime them to death... the higher tech a device is, the more likely it'll need regular maintenance...

although not mentioned in the books, not hard to house rule in...

alternately, drop 'em out of the rift some where the MDC won't help... like a frosty cold tundra... sure the eba will work for a couple hours... but as mentioned before, can't wear it all the time...
and without local currency, heroic players will have to trade stuff off...
non-heroic players will find that bounty hunters are tricky SOBs...

as are demon hunters and the like....
they want MDC, let 'em have it...
also tap N&SS... Art of Breaking never says you have to do damage to the target, breaking it's Chi breaks the item... and since you're not in an MDC world, no need to apply that stupid power-punch in MDC replacement...

GM: "the guy punches your Glitterboy"
Player: "ok, i'll take it, he can't hurt me, and I wanna laugh in his face"
GM: "the chest plate of the GB shatters... now the archers cut loose..."
ieatdogfood

MDC

Unread post by ieatdogfood »

8)

MDC Sucks, My games are free travel games, dudes come from rifts to palladium and then from palladium to rifts and a dozen other dimensions freely.

In Fact I don't use the Rifts setting or the PFRPG setting I make up my own worlds in detail.

I modifiy MDC. MDC does double Damage to a SDC target. SDC Does half damage to MDC material. That Simple. So if Joe mercenray brings his C-14, culmination of modern technolgy boom stick to **** with some peasents around a castle , he blows stuff away and those arrows do minimal damage to his armor.

This system works phenomenally.
victor15065
Wanderer

Re: an idea about mdc and rifts

Unread post by victor15065 »

How about NDC we all get shrunk down to microscopic size and it is 1 NDC for every 10 SDC and reduce all damage lol
everloss
Explorer

Unread post by everloss »

Why should anything be changed?

A giant robot in Rifts is scary. A giant robot in Palladium Fantasy should be absolutely terrifying. Godlike in power until its missiles run out, its fusion reactor poops out, or it suffers mechanical failure from lack of maintenance. The people inside have to eat, right? Not a lot of room for a hydroponics garden inside a robot, unless it's a Behemoth.

Why should the people in fantasy land have any advantage over high technology? They should be at a rightful severe disadvantage.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

MD weapons would deal out SD (even if the only damage is done via the Blunt WP cause they don't work anymore), and MDC structures would be turned into SDC structures w/high AR (& maybe a resistance to certain level of attacks like how in HU2 the APS metal stats say that punches don't do any damage.)

Electronics would ether work of not work when changing universes/dimensions.

Magic tech would ether work or not work depending on if the electronics in them works or not.

Fully magic stuff works, unless the setting's metaphysics are hostile to magic. (RDB7 ref.)

The things left to the GM are the mean things. do E-clips blow up? Does the reactor blow up, melt down or just plan doesn't work cause the physics have changed.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: MDC

Unread post by Glistam »

ieatdogfood wrote:I modifiy MDC. MDC does double Damage to a SDC target. SDC Does half damage to MDC material. That Simple. So if Joe mercenray brings his C-14, culmination of modern technolgy boom stick to **** with some peasents around a castle , he blows stuff away and those arrows do minimal damage to his armor.

This system works phenomenally.

That sounds like an amazing way to handle it.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

The way I tend to view the change of MDC technology into SDC has more to do with the unique physics of a given dimension than the level of magic within it.

For example, the After the Bomb setting does have some elements of high technology (as does Heroes Unlimited), yet these "Dimensions" are SDC based. The physics of these world (at least for the time being) just doesn't allow for the existence of MDC technology. Thus when traveling to these dimensions, MDC technology must abide by the physics of the universe it is in... becoming SDC (very durable SDC... very resistant to damage... but can still be damaged). By the same token, the most advanced technology of these settings would likely become MDC if taken to a dimension where MDC technology and materials could be sustained (especially if the techniques involved in creating this advanced technology is similar to that which creates MDC technology in the target dimension).

Magic is another factor to take into consideration. In many settings, magic is fairly weak... PF has the strongest level of magic outside of Rifts. When magical armor and weapons are taken into a magic rich environment like Rifts or Phase World, they become the equivalent of MDC technology. However, in MDC settings that are magic poor, like Splicers, chances are that they won't increase their capabilities (though in all fairness that can be a bit harsh... so I would increase such items to MDC levels... but at 1/4 to 1/2 their normal damage/SDC capacity... a significant increase, but still weak compared to what is present). Needless to say that creatures of magic and the supernatural will face similar changes... and in some cases (like in Splicers) seek to leave as quickly as possible.

All of this is mostly to preserve the balance of power in a given setting... and giving characters visiting such settings a chance of surviving long enough to return home (in the case of going to a more powerful setting) or preventing characters from completely over powering a setting (in the case of going to a less powerful setting). It generally isn't fun to have a character from a SDC setting killed instantly in a MDC setting, and having a MDC character trounce everything in an SDC setting gets stale very quickly.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
victor15065
Wanderer

Unread post by victor15065 »

What I do is get rid of all MDC ist all SDC in my game
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

To prevent mass-missile extinction on PF, I just figure one or more of the gods would have managed to duplicate the Nightlords' feat of an anti-tech dimensional barrier or something.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”