A new edition?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

New edition, yay or nay?

Yay!
60%
Nay!
28%
Tacos!
12%

Total votes: 25

The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

A new edition?

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Maybe instead of new add on to HU2E, perhaps we should be poke Kevin for a Heroes Unlimited third Edition? While I have some issues with PU 2 and am not entirely happy with the proposed Hardware U, PU 2 had a whole bunch of stuff I really liked and Hardware has some stuff I think may be okay.

I've often lamented on these boards how outclassed core game characters were compared to PU2 characters. But I got to thinking about it, and PU2 stuff (with a couple of notable exceptions) are more fun to play. They do stuff differently and give you a modern feel. And that's sort of the problem, across the board, the core book feels, dated. What was innovative, is now old.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Re: A new edition?

Unread post by SittingBull »

I say YAY if you mean revamping the core book like they revamped the Rifts main book.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
The Artist Formerly
Champion

SittingBull wrote:I say YAY if you mean revamping the core book like they revamped the Rifts main book.

I hear that. Toss out the rarely played OCCs for more space on the most often played stuff (they can go into a supplement book), give magic spell using characters a bit of an upgrade to compete with super human level abilities, stream line the super brawl rules, and I'd like to see three categories of super powers.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I think I would say "no" to a new edition unless they can clean up the rules and mechanics a bit. The core book is still fine by itself, and once the extra books are added in (Powers Unlimited 1-3, Armageddon Unlimited) the power level does tend to rise, but that can be easily mitigated if desired by restricting what's made available. I wouldn't want to see a new edition that just sort of rolls all that into a new core book but keeps the same, clunky rules.

But I also admit, now that I own all the Heroes Unlimited books, I also say "no" because I don't have to have to buy them all again just to get repackaged material I already have.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Do you think I'm crazy....they don't put out enouph "other then rifts" books each year as it is and you want to take up one manybe two "other then rifts" book slots (say four years worth) with just rebooting HU......AGAIN!??????!!!

Better to throw out another HUGMG then a reboot which would only take up one OtRb slots.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Glistam wrote:I think I would say "no" to a new edition unless they can clean up the rules and mechanics a bit. The core book is still fine by itself, and once the extra books are added in (Powers Unlimited 1-3, Armageddon Unlimited) the power level does tend to rise, but that can be easily mitigated if desired by restricting what's made available. I wouldn't want to see a new edition that just sort of rolls all that into a new core book but keeps the same, clunky rules.

But I also admit, now that I own all the Heroes Unlimited books, I also say "no" because I don't have to have to buy them all again just to get repackaged material I already have.

Refitting the old system would be a great idea. Standard body armor rules need a serious, serious rebuild. As I said, three levels of super power catagories (minor, intermediate and major powers). Integration of the concepts and refits from the PU books, that sort of thing. Clean definitions of what and how Natural AR works against what. Better organization of the book so we don't have rules splashed in two or three locations.

When I got PU 2, I was opposed to some of the power cats. Still am to two of them.

BUT.

Having gone through play with a couple of them (Symbiote and Super Soldier), I can attest to them being the kind of thing HU needed, even if I was too thick to grasp it at the time. The Chimera needs too much work to fix to be worth the effort and the gestalt is just weird (but both would be okay for supplement books, I'd just flip past them looking for stuff that is useful).
The Artist Formerly
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Do you think I'm crazy....

Um... Well, in accordance with the board policy on such things, I don't think I'm allowed to say...

Just kidding. :)

they don't put out enouph "other then rifts" books each year as it is and you want to take up one manybe two "other then rifts" book slots (say four years worth) with just rebooting HU......AGAIN!??????!!!

Better to throw out another HUGMG then a reboot which would only take up one OtRb slots.

It has been 15 years since the last reboot. I believe we have posters on this board who weren't born when this book came out. And it hasn't aged so much like a fine wine, but more a vinegar effect if you see what I mean.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Someone check on the price of AC in Hell but yeah, I agree with Taffy. I think HU really needs an update. Powers are often times very frontloaded and don’t change much except for damage and/or range as you level and lord knows I’ve made my dislike about how ISP and PPE regeneration just sucks for a Super Hero style game.

Now do I think we’ll ever see it? Sadly no, but I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

I'd like to see it broken into four books, overall: super powers (mutants, symbiotes, aliens), tech (hardware, robots, bionics), magic, and unpowered heroes (from stage magicians to physical training.) If someone doesn't like magic in their superhero games, that takes care of that. Now, each book should not be $30! But when put together, each book (including background material, such as how mages fit into a modern society, or how vigilantes work with law enforcement) would provide pieces of a larger whole.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I actually like that idea, but for aliens you kinda get stuck because they can be any of those other categories, same thing with immortals and a few others that I'm blanking on right now. Granted it's not like I WOULDN'T buy all of them anyway but I'm not sure how Palladium could handle that and I'd hate to see what happened to BTS happen here.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The Artist Formerly wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:snip...

It has been 15 years since the last reboot. I believe we have posters on this board who weren't born when this book came out. And it hasn't aged so much like a fine wine, but more a vinegar effect if you see what I mean.

Which is why I suggested an alternative to rebooting the setting. The one thing I would update is the ed system's skill programs, by adding more of them to make the occupational differentiation between chars.

However there is no need to degrade the WPs in the setting. Nor do the magic rules need to be messed up by matching them to those found in RUE.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I don't want to pay to get tweaks and such to the system. Just put out books expanding the categories like they are doing with Hardware Unlimited and the MoM books.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

The Heroes verse needs some serious updating of just everyday tech, much less "Hero" tech. There are some powers categories that need better descriptions.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

I'd love a new edition if it actually cleaned up a lot of rules in general. Not just a rehash of the previous edition.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

I would like a new edition only if it came with a complete revamp. A revamp that properly integrates modern weapons within the combat system, more variance with the powers, and a complete reset on the skills system.
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I don't want to pay to get tweaks and such to the system. Just put out books expanding the categories like they are doing with Hardware Unlimited and the MoM books.

Dont know about hardware unlimited but I have heard MoM was barely fit for release.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Smlawrence8 »

Honestly I think they need to do this with just about all of the Palladium games I have seen. I would love to see streamlined rules that actually tied all the universes together. I would also like to see updates to the items and the pricing of everything in modern realms.

The thing I always loved about the IDEA of palladium is the multi universe, same rules concept.... But that really hasnt worked for a while now.
cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:man-day-dreaming of how you would take out terrorists if they jumped through the windows in the dentist's office (answer; with badass kung fu and that pencil the lady next to you is doing her suidoku puzzle with) and wondering what it would feel like to kill someone, are two completely different things.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I don't want to pay to get tweaks and such to the system. Just put out books expanding the categories like they are doing with Hardware Unlimited and the MoM books.

Did you leave the PF off of the MoM? or is there a HU book with the initials MoM?
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

The Artist Formerly wrote:Maybe instead of new add on to HU2E, perhaps we should be poke Kevin for a Heroes Unlimited third Edition?
Technically, it would be a 4th edition.
There is
Heroes Unlimited [Blue Cover]
Heroes Unlimited Revised [Same Blue Cover as previous]
Heroes Unlimited Revised Second Edition [Current White Cover]
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

They would probably call it Second Edition Revised though.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Did you leave the PF off of the MoM? or is there a HU book with the initials MoM?

Probably referring to the Mysteries of Magic books for PF which is what I think you were thinking. The relevance being that the current/only MoM book expands on magic/magical classes just as the HwU expands on hardware/hardware classes.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

NMI wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Probably referring to the Mysteries of Magic books for PF which is what I think you were thinking. The relevance being that the current/only MoM book expands on magic/magical classes just as the HwU expands on hardware/hardware classes.

I like that.....HU:HwU is much better then HU:HU.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

MoM can be used with Heroes Unlimited. Just because it was based on PFRPG does not decrease its value.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”