Quick Skill Rules Question

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GMDijarian
Explorer

Quick Skill Rules Question

Unread post by GMDijarian »

Can any one point out to me which page of the PFrpg explains how to roll for skill checks?

Thanks
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Quick Skill Rules Question

Unread post by Bill »

I don't believe the actual procedure is ever explicitly detailed in any Palladium RPG. I run it as a binary roll-under situation, which works and seems to jive with the various penalties applied to different skills. A player rolls percentile dice shooting for under his or her character's skill percentage plus or minus any modifiers based on their desired outcome or particular environmental penalties, such as trying to get it done faster than one might expect for that particular skill. They are either successful or not. I've encountered GM's that prefer to take into account the degree of success, rewarding players for rolling as low as possible, but I prefer to keep things simple.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

The first ed book does
To successfully perform a skill, the player must roll under his success ratio. Example: A first level Longbowman has a forgery skill of 12 "70 (+ 6"70 O.C.C. skill bonus) giving him an 18 "70 chance to produce a successful forgery.

I also use degrees of success, for example, every %5 that a person makes their prowl check by gives a watcher -1 to their perception check by each %5 under the skill % required.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

RUE, p 368, also addresses how to apply a character's Prowl and other skills against a character's perception check. It effectively converts a character's skill proficiency into a bonus to a contested D20 roll versus the opposing character's perception check. I don't think it meshes all that well with the rest of the skill resolution system, but that may be due to my interpretation rather than the actual rules.
GMDijarian
Explorer

Unread post by GMDijarian »

Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply guys.

As a follow up question does the Palladium Fantasy RPG have a dedicated 'Perception' in the RAW?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

GMDijarian wrote:Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply guys.

As a follow up question does the Palladium Fantasy RPG have a dedicated 'Perception' in the RAW?

PFRPG does not, but it's fairly easy to bring them in from Nightbane.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I added a perception stat (and a willpower stat and a luck stat)
and make the bonus to ranged go off perception (using the pp table as a really high pp just adds to many bonuses)

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”