Addicted to a certain kind of sadness...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SereneTsunami
Explorer

Addicted to a certain kind of sadness...

Unread post by SereneTsunami »

Not having played in a decade I'm just catching up to the game, but it seems clear to me from both canon and optional material written about True Atlanteans that they simply don't care if they live or die as a species.

I believe this "Atlantean Malaise" is more pronounced then the general amount of indifference that the "Forces of Good" in Palladium's Megaverse exhibit.

Let's face it, the bad guys have a fire under their ass and the good guys have a stick up their but. Excuse the harsh judgment but It's easy to see. However, The "A.M." is really hard to understand. Not because I disagree with the idea of a racial guilt over their hubris. We can see there is plenty of real world examples of that, but because it's threatening their existence as a people.

I have read the tremendous series in the Rifter, The Black Crusade. I loved the ideas and the new shiney powers, OCCs and tatoos, but the thought that one of the last bastions of Atlantean culture is sitting around to be wiped out lacks credulity.

The whole motive of the Aerihman Clan is hard to swallow. Wiping out their fellow Atlanteans to "aid in conquest" seems far fetched given the population numbers. If Aerihman has double the population(1.2m) of the next largest clan(presumably the clan that runs Alexandria) then it's easy to assume they match the rest of the clans all together. Clan Aerihman is a fascinating topic, but I want to stay focused on the rest of the Atlanteans that don't have a plan.

Perhaps Atlantean guilt over their great folly has fatally destroyed the their will to live. Certainly, there is no will to use their power to fight for good in the Megaverse in any organized way. Perhaps all they need is a inspirational leader like Clan Aerihman has.

All the resources the Atlanteans need to carve out a safe haven(hidden from their enemies) on Earth exist. Unfortunately, I'm doubtful that they would even reach for it.
Proseksword
Adventurer

Re: Addicted to a certain kind of sadness...

Unread post by Proseksword »

It's possible True Atlanteans, despite being significantly different in several ways, identify as humans, which are common as dirt in the Megaverse. Ergo, the dwindling number of their Clans as a whole don't impact them with the same since of foreboding because mankind continues to thrive throughout hundreds of dimensions.
SereneTsunami
Explorer

I think Atlanteans currently identify with their clan more then their race or the human race. I believe I read in a few places that many if not most Atlanteans consider themselves superior to humans.

I guess the best piece of evidence of "Atlantean Malaise"(A.M.) is that the success of the Areihman plot is only possible if the rest of their race doesn't fight back against "The Dark Crusade".

Thank goodness for Mr. Carella or the Atlanteans would not have any Clans fighting for their future. Perhaps we should call the rest of the Atlanteans "Clan Panda".
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

So...the Great Atlanteans are the Emo Goth Kids of the Megaverse?
I can see that....
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

Part of the issue is that the clans are spread out across the entire megaverse and that Clan Aehriman hides what it is doing behind the Sunaj. That and the clans don't meet very often. I think I saw it stated somewhere that it was only once a century or some such.

Clan Aehriman isn't killing the other Atlanteans to 'aid in conquest' it is because the other clans stood up an said that their iron-handed ruling style was not to the other clans' taste and they forcibly stopped them IIRC. Which pissed the Aehriman clan off. Hence the murder spree.
SereneTsunami
Explorer

Thanks for the reply. I reread the page in WB#2. It seems like that "Clan Panda" did threaten to stand up to Aerihman. Perhaps Clan Panda does have the stomach for life, or at least is talking the talk. I have to wonder what would of happened if Aerihman had called their bluff. War or Clan Panda backs down? The world may never know.

Either way it still feels like Clan Panda really doesn't care enough to fight it's enemies in an organized way. I really don't think this is a unique story in Rifts. The CS never has to worry about it's enemies acting together.

However it is fun to speculate about Clan Skellion. As Mr. Carella describes them they are a "clan with a plan". Not only that but they have had a large influx of new blood into their community and have spent the centuries advancing their understanding of Techno-Wizardry and Tattoo Magics. They do not exhibit the same kind of A.M. that Clan Panda does.

Running a campaign out of Manoa where the heroes are the city's elite protectors could see at least some Atlanteans are carving out a future for their race on Rifts Earth.
Marcethus
Champion

That's because Clan Skellion wasn't directly involved in the Experiment that tore the fabric of the Dimensions and caused the other clans to use Earth's remaining magical energies to seal the breach.
SereneTsunami
Explorer

Perhaps Clan Skellion has the moral authority to rally any Panda Clans that still want a future for Atlanteans but lack leadership. A Crusade of Light to match The Dark Crusade of Clan Aerihman would be a fun backdrop for a campaign.

Does anyone have thoughts on the probability of the Splurgoth attacking a resurgent Clan Skellion? Rebuilding a home for Atlanteans is their stated goal. I don't have all the relevant books yet, but I have read that the Splurgoth are not really interested in dominating earth, just using the continent of Atlantis as a dimensional shopping mall. I think a case can be made that only action through proxies, like Largento, would be their response to a more active Clan Skellion.
Marcethus
Champion

If Clan Skellion could rally other clans. The major issue is that the majority of the clans are spread throughout the megaverse and contact between clans seems to be fairly limited. I do not have info regarding the clan that runs Alexandria in the Phase World Setting.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

It's also part of how they want to portray the forces of good in the Rifts universe. If you read up om some and imo too many. They are written as being not trusting other good organizations. As well as being isolationist to a incredible stubborn degree. Thinking it's better to go up against the forces of evil on seperate front. With evil organizations being complete opposite. If the good factions were to ever organize and present a common front they would defeat many evil factions on Rifts Earth. Then that would mean that eventually Rifts Earth would be freed and reclaimed and then Rifts as a rpg line would probably end. So that's why their the so called atlantean malaise. With no one noticing the Sunaj.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Marcethus
Champion

Yeah I always thought that that was always odd that no one was suspicious of the Sunaj. Though in the first Atlantis book it does mention that the other clans were beginning to get suspicious so the Clan Elder of Aehriman sacrificed something like 100 of his people in a staged Sunaj attack to throw off supsicion.
SereneTsunami
Explorer

Sureshot wrote:It's also part of how they want to portray the forces of good in the Rifts universe. If you read up om some and imo too many. They are written as being not trusting other good organizations. As well as being isolationist to a incredible stubborn degree. Thinking it's better to go up against the forces of evil on seperate front. With evil organizations being complete opposite. If the good factions were to ever organize and present a common front they would defeat many evil factions on Rifts Earth. Then that would mean that eventually Rifts Earth would be freed and reclaimed and then Rifts as a rpg line would probably end. So that's why their the so called atlantean malaise. With no one noticing the Sunaj.

I tend to agree with you Sureshot. Many of the "Good Guys" should be working together more. Also, guys like the Tundra Rangers and Cyber Knights and Lyn-Srial are supposed to be intelligent, resourceful champions, yet their strategy for defeating the endless hordes of evil is to wander off into the wilderness one at a time. This basically puts them below almost every other intelligent supernatural race on the planet who at least have the good sense to bring a few buddies when they do evil. The flexibility and power of a group consisting of Cyber-Knights, TRs and Lyn-Srial would be a sight to see. I mean even a Brontosaurus lives in a herd.

I have read in a few different spots in books, and many times on this forum that The Splurgoth cannot be beaten by any and all forces on Earth, so I operate under the assumption that Good Guys must find a way to hide themselves if they wish to survive. Many of them have done that to varying degrees.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the many disperat Good Guys could easily present more strategic thinking without exposing themselves to powers that could wipe them out and without disrupting the basic balance of power on Rifts Earth.
Sureshot
Champion

Marcethus wrote:Yeah I always thought that that was always odd that no one was suspicious of the Sunaj. Though in the first Atlantis book it does mention that the other clans were beginning to get suspicious so the Clan Elder of Aehriman sacrificed something like 100 of his people in a staged Sunaj attack to throw off supsicion.

Except too many villain organizations are written as powerful Mary Sue style organizations imo. Almost everyone is able to hide in plain site. With access to unlimited resources. The leader is a powerful evil meglomanic. Who has 1000% absolute loyalty of his followers. Once, twice enough already. Their only so many times as a reader of rpgs that I want to see that.

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Sureshot
Champion

SereneTsunami wrote:I tend to agree with you Sureshot. Many of the "Good Guys" should be working together more. Also, guys like the Tundra Rangers and Cyber Knights and Lyn-Srial are supposed to be intelligent, resourceful champions, yet their strategy for defeating the endless hordes of evil is to wander off into the wilderness one at a time. This basically puts them below almost every other intelligent supernatural race on the planet who at least have the good sense to bring a few buddies when they do evil. The flexibility and power of a group consisting of Cyber-Knights, TRs and Lyn-Srial would be a sight to see. I mean even a Brontosaurus lives in a herd.

As much as I would like to see those three organizations working together it's simply not going to happen imo. Stubborn to a unrealistic degree. Wanting to take on the enemies of the world. While trusting no one is the how the good guys will keep being portrayed. We can't have the good guys winning back Rifts Earth now can we.

SereneTsunami wrote:I have read in a few different spots in books, and many times on this forum that The Splurgoth cannot be beaten by any and all forces on Earth, so I operate under the assumption that Good Guys must find a way to hide themselves if they wish to survive. Many of them have done that to varying degrees.

Realistically the Splugorth can be defeated but only by a large combined group of forces. Otherwise it's doomed to failure. The splugorth have unlimited resources and troop. Made worse that it's a combined army that mixes tech, psionics and magic into one. Where many armies on Rifts Earth are simply not ready for that kind of combined warfare imo. Not even the CS can beat them imo.

SereneTsunami wrote:I guess what I'm trying to say is that the many disperat Good Guys could easily present more strategic thinking without exposing themselves to powers that could wipe them out and without disrupting the basic balance of power on Rifts Earth.

I agree. Try telling that to Kevin and the freelancers. I'm expecting more of the same.

Enlightened Grognard

Marcethus
Champion

Sureshot wrote:
Marcethus wrote:Yeah I always thought that that was always odd that no one was suspicious of the Sunaj. Though in the first Atlantis book it does mention that the other clans were beginning to get suspicious so the Clan Elder of Aehriman sacrificed something like 100 of his people in a staged Sunaj attack to throw off supsicion.

Except too many villain organizations are written as powerful Mary Sue style organizations imo. Almost everyone is able to hide in plain site. With access to unlimited resources. The leader is a powerful evil meglomanic. Who has 1000% absolute loyalty of his followers. Once, twice enough already. Their only so many times as a reader of rpgs that I want to see that.

I agree with you that too many of the evil organizations have been portrayed in such a way. Though the Sunaj and clan Aerhiman are one of the first that were portrayed that way. At least in Rifts.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Marcethus wrote:
Sureshot wrote:

I agree with you that too many of the evil organizations have been portrayed in such a way. Though the Sunaj and clan Aerhiman are one of the first that were portrayed that way. At least in Rifts.

The CS being another such orginization (though FINALLY they are saying in canon that the Prossek's have been playing a shell game with the rest of the North Am. city states).
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

SereneTsunami wrote:
Sureshot wrote:It's also part of how they want to portray the forces of good in the Rifts universe. If you read up om some and imo too many. They are written as being not trusting other good organizations. As well as being isolationist to a incredible stubborn degree. Thinking it's better to go up against the forces of evil on seperate front. With evil organizations being complete opposite. If the good factions were to ever organize and present a common front they would defeat many evil factions on Rifts Earth. Then that would mean that eventually Rifts Earth would be freed and reclaimed and then Rifts as a rpg line would probably end. So that's why their the so called atlantean malaise. With no one noticing the Sunaj.

I tend to agree with you Sureshot. Many of the "Good Guys" should be working together more. Also, guys like the Tundra Rangers and Cyber Knights and Lyn-Srial are supposed to be intelligent, resourceful champions, yet their strategy for defeating the endless hordes of evil is to wander off into the wilderness one at a time. This basically puts them below almost every other intelligent supernatural race on the planet who at least have the good sense to bring a few buddies when they do evil. The flexibility and power of a group consisting of Cyber-Knights, TRs and Lyn-Srial would be a sight to see. I mean even a Brontosaurus lives in a herd.

I have read in a few different spots in books, and many times on this forum that The Splurgoth cannot be beaten by any and all forces on Earth, so I operate under the assumption that Good Guys must find a way to hide themselves if they wish to survive. Many of them have done that to varying degrees.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the many disperat Good Guys could easily present more strategic thinking without exposing themselves to powers that could wipe them out and without disrupting the basic balance of power on Rifts Earth.

I think you are conflating "Not trusting the good guys" with "knowing much at all about them beyond vauge rumors"

The distances involved are vast, and Rifts has no real reliable long distance communications or transportation. How exactly are the Lynn-Syrial supposed to know the tundra rangers exist, let alone know they are "Good" guys, let alone work togeather in any kind of organized manner when, as far as I can tell, they are unaware of each-others existance. It's wrong to assume all "major powers" in Rifts know much of anything about each-other. The books are written for our, the players/GM's, benifit, but the Tundra Rangers have a vast, vast area of land to cover (Canada is freaking huge), not a lot of people to do it with, and not much reason to go very far south. the Lynn-Syrial live in the New West and, while knights occasionally go forth to do good, don't have anything resembling an intelligence agency to learn about what's happening way up there. and the Cyber Knights are not a unified faction, and their founding principle has more or less always been for individual or small groups of knights to help the poor and downtrodden wherever they could.

I'm sure all of the above are aware of each-others existance in a vauge way--some cyber knights meet lynn-syrial, tundra rangers hear about flying bird knights and vice versa. but you live in Rifts--you are way more concerned with rescuring some village from an avelange or demon attack then following up every rumor or story you hear about. That's the kind of lark that Player Characters do, not establsihed nations and beaucrasies.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Sureshot
Champion

Your right about the distances. Yet those same distances don't seem to be a problem for the evil organizations. So why do the evil organizations get a free pass on long distances between each other but not the good guys. Look no one saying that the good guys need to follow up on every rumour. They don't even try to see if their any crediability to such rumors. But even when they live close to each other. Neither side is portrayed as wanting to reach out to each other. Or want to work with each other. While also being shown as being stubbornly independent. To me they are written that way simply to make sure they never band together. If they did they could reclaim some parts of Rifts Earth. Given enough time, luck and resources even free it. Then the rpg line would end or need a reboot.

Enlightened Grognard

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Sureshot wrote:Your right about the distances. Yet those same distances don't seem to be a problem for the evil organizations. So why do the evil organizations get a free pass on long distances between each other but not the good guys. Look no one saying that the good guys need to follow up on every rumour. They don't even try to see if their any crediability to such rumors. But even when they live close to each other. Neither side is portrayed as wanting to reach out to each other. Or want to work with each other. While also being shown as being stubbornly independent. To me they are written that way simply to make sure they never band together. If they did they could reclaim some parts of Rifts Earth. Given enough time, luck and resources even free it. Then the rpg line would end or need a reboot.

out of curiosity, which "evil organizations" are getting a pass? I havn't heard anything about the federation of magic collaberating with anyone but Atalantis, which is the one and only evil organization (or any kind of organization) in rifts stated to have global reach. the CS? They have a vast military power to protect lines of communication within their own territory. look at how horribly those lines of communication broke down the moment they entered Tolkeen territory, dispite being just a hundred or so miles from Chi-town itself. The Vampire Kingdoms? I havn't heard of them being able to collaberate with anyone else either. The Angel of Death? She only collaberates with the two Brodkil and Gargoyle empires she littearlly lives directly between, being close neighbors to both. The Phenoix Empire? Again, other than Atlantis, who are they collaberating with. the Yama Kings? They are Isolationist to the extreme.

Sounds to me like the only real "Pass" goes to Atlantis with their phase world level commuinications and transport and pyramid teleportation. Every "Evil Empire Collaberation" that you mention that does not involve direct neighbors involves Atlantis either directly or as the middleman.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Marcethus
Champion

Technically the Cyber-Knights while a loose knit organization does have ties to other good guys. They have made contact and assisted the Lyn-Srial, they have worked with the Tundra Rangers and even the Justice Rangers, as well as worked with Reid's Rangers. So it seems that the Cyber Knights have an informal intelligence network via word spreading when more than one CK meets and passes information to another and so on and so forth.
Marcethus
Champion

DhAkael wrote:
Marcethus wrote:
Sureshot wrote:

The CS being another such orginization (though FINALLY they are saying in canon that the Prossek's have been playing a shell game with the rest of the North Am. city states).

I know the books haven't said it much but I kinda always read it (between the lines) as always being the case of the CS playing the Shell Game with the other City States.
SereneTsunami
Explorer

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Sureshot wrote:Your right about the distances. Yet those same distances don't seem to be a problem for the evil organizations. So why do the evil organizations get a free pass on long distances between each other but not the good guys. Look no one saying that the good guys need to follow up on every rumour. They don't even try to see if their any crediability to such rumors. But even when they live close to each other. Neither side is portrayed as wanting to reach out to each other. Or want to work with each other. While also being shown as being stubbornly independent. To me they are written that way simply to make sure they never band together. If they did they could reclaim some parts of Rifts Earth. Given enough time, luck and resources even free it. Then the rpg line would end or need a reboot.

out of curiosity, which "evil organizations" are getting a pass? I havn't heard anything about the federation of magic collaberating with anyone but Atalantis, which is the one and only evil organization (or any kind of organization) in rifts stated to have global reach. the CS? They have a vast military power to protect lines of communication within their own territory. look at how horribly those lines of communication broke down the moment they entered Tolkeen territory, dispite being just a hundred or so miles from Chi-town itself. The Vampire Kingdoms? I havn't heard of them being able to collaberate with anyone else either. The Angel of Death? She only collaberates with the two Brodkil and Gargoyle empires she littearlly lives directly between, being close neighbors to both. The Phenoix Empire? Again, other than Atlantis, who are they collaberating with. the Yama Kings? They are Isolationist to the extreme.

Sounds to me like the only real "Pass" goes to Atlantis with their phase world level commuinications and transport and pyramid teleportation. Every "Evil Empire Collaberation" that you mention that does not involve direct neighbors involves Atlantis either directly or as the middleman.

You gave me a lot to think about. Looking at the books that I have I have to agree with you. It just seems like a lot of evil groups are cooperating, but there isn't aside from Splurgoth and their proxies. In my mind this is a good and necessary part of the Rifts setting. Making "the good guys" hunted on every level of play is one of the best parts of the setting.

Having said that I think that the recent cooperation in the aftermath of Tolkeen's defeat has brought together CKs, TRs, and the Lyr-Srail. This brings me back to my original gripe. Atlanteans are facing extinction as a race, they are too smart not to see it. The Aerihman's attack on Vergence while thrilling and brimming with cool ideas still strikes me as far too easy to pull off. This place is possibly the best last hope for Atlanteans to survive and it's pretty much defenseless as described. Perhaps that is part of the subtext of the story, that The Panda Clans are done for in the long run. That they simply lack the will to overcome the Aerihman threat.

I think that Clan Skellion is the future of the Atlantean race. They certainly have the power base to expand and grow, but I think it is their Clan's philosophy of inclusion and desire for more then just living that will get them to that future. The Panda Clans, though possessing some young and idealistic individuals, seem to be lead by Atlanteans still in shock over their cataclysmic hubris. I guess what i am trying to say is that the differences between the Panda Clans on one end of the spectrum and Skellion /Aerihman on the other end are all about their different clan cultures.
Marcethus
Champion

Years ago I created my own clan of Atlanteans, well actually more than one, but this particular one is one that I put alot of work into. I had them be one of the clans that argued against the Dimensional Experiment. As a result of their vehement opposition to the experiment when they witnessed how the experiment went awry they gathered all their peoples and what resources they could and traveled into the Astral Plane. Where after many years of wandering they found an Astral Kingdom that was suffering from Ley Line Storms and other Magical Disturbances. Using their Stone Mastery they were able to contain and put a measure of control over the Ley Lines that criss crossed this Continent sized Astral Kingdom. Yes I am aware that it is very similar to the story of the Planet Alexandria in the Phase World setting but I had worked up the baseline idea years before I even bought and read that book. But since they were not one of the clans involved in the Experiment they do not suffer from the inherent racial guilt that so many other Atlanteans seem to suffer from. They were more than willing to do what is necessary to rule a Kingdom as well as to gather and build a new kingdom. They are also willing to do what they must to help fight. Granted in the current setting I use them they are currently somewhat unaware of what has been going on. After all they have been on the Astral Plane for a few generations.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

It also kinda confused me with the sunaj is sure you can gank some people here and there but eventually one of your hits is going to fail badly and with all the magic things out there there are many ways to incapacitate without killing a target. The Sunaj's marks of heritage alone would indicate that they are at least atlantean of atlantean of some faction which is half the puzzle solved right there without even needing to get any piece of info out of the target.

It may be a secret for now but it is not one that can last for long.
SereneTsunami
Explorer

I just reread the Manoa text in Mr. Carrella's excellent WB#6. It says that 2 other "Panda Clans" were told about Clan Skellion's relocation to Manao. It does not say who those clans are. I do not have all the books by a long shot, is there mention of the names of these 2 clans in other books?

PS, what's the deal on the origin of the Anti-Monster? It seems kinda jammed in there and doesn't quite fit. Did they Run out of room?
Marcethus
Champion

I do not recall seeing any mention of the names of the two clans told of Clan Skellion's return.

The Origin of the Anti-Monster is some secret TW type Ritual that is possibly linked to the Holy Terror from Wormwood. No other info is given IIRC.
Marcethus
Champion

kaid wrote:

It also kinda confused me with the sunaj is sure you can gank some people here and there but eventually one of your hits is going to fail badly and with all the magic things out there there are many ways to incapacitate without killing a target. The Sunaj's marks of heritage alone would indicate that they are at least atlantean of atlantean of some faction which is half the puzzle solved right there without even needing to get any piece of info out of the target.

It may be a secret for now but it is not one that can last for long.

yeah it's one of those things they over looked at the time of the writing of the book I think. Also when that was originally written up there weren't that many ways to incapacitate IIRC.
SereneTsunami
Explorer

I just got my RIFTER #68 in the mail a few days ago an devoured the 4th chapter of Andrew Lander's "The Black Crusade" story. This installment was very ambitious. A whole new dimension with a detailed history and great new OCCs.

I look back on the first part in RIFTER #52 and see that the 3 OCCs for True Atlanteans are perfect classes for "Clan Panda". Although any of them can be dedicated heroes and champions of good they can also be played as insular and listless.

I had originally thought that the drive and organization of Clan Aerihman was out of place or a step too far from "Clan Panda". I had assmumed that Clan Panda was the "normal" Atlantean culture. If you add Clan Skellion into the mix you begin to see that Clan Panda is likely the group of Atlanteans that is out of step. Their failure to recover from the trauma of their Accident may doom their race, but perhaps they are already gone and the only "True Atlanteans" left are Clans Skellion and Aerihman.
SereneTsunami
Explorer

Thanks to all that joined this conversation and apologies for being away from the forums for a while. I am writing because I am really excited about the new Secrets of The Atlanteans book that's coming out soon.

With luck we will learn more about the "Panda Clans", but I'm much more interested in Clan Skellion. Mr. Carella has given us a wealth of ideas to work with. Given the stated goal of Clan Skellion to reestablish Atlantean civilization on Rifts Earth I'm compelled to think about what that might look like and how they would do it or even if it's possible.

In my opinion, one of the best parts of South America is the more realistic geo-politics. The North American scene is too monolithic and uneven. The SA nations are much more equal and intertwined. If Clan Skellion is gonna build a new Atlantean nation it must first deal with its 2 closest neighbors.

I think that an alliance with Omagua is very probable in the future considering their common enemy, Cibola, is so aggressive. With their combined strength Cibola will have two choices stand and fight, or scoot. Inix, being a businessworm, could easily choose to relocate. Lots of good real estate to choose from. It's the smart play. He is being harassed from the north by Splugorth puppets and now faces an enemy over twice his size from the south and west.

With their back yard cleaned up one can begin to imagine Manoa(perhaps in concert with their allies in Omagua) looking for a place to rebuild their civilization. One of the most powerful ley line webs is also one of the best, a nearly perfect fit for a nation who's existence relies on staying hidden from the current occupants of the continent of Atlantis.

Yep, you guessed it, The Yucatan. It's got everything, seclusion, a magical barrier to enter, and you can't swing a dead cat around with out hitting 2 or 3 ley lines. Best of all, all the residents are not ready to handle the kind of power a city like Manoa can bring to bear on them.

I read a lot of things about StormSpire, Arzno, and Lazlo, but the biggest and best Techno-wizardry is located right in the heart of beautiful downtown Manoa. They have actually been mastering their TW since the Accident. The aforementioned towns have started from scratch less then 150 years ago, so they are demonstrably neophytes when compared to Manoa.Clan Skellion has also been refining and growing the exquisite art of tattooing for just as long. Last but not least they have the answer to the extremely low populations of the Atlanteans, Amazons. Not only are they easy on the eyes, but they are born and bred supernatural warriors.

These resources make them one of the most powerful magical cities on Rifts Earth. I think it's more then enough to deal with a few Vampire Intelligence shut-ins and a Bat god.

Let's look at numbers first. 2 million beings in the city, and 70% are at least trained reservists. It's easy to assume that most of the Amazonians are members of the military in some form. I think that Manoa would have no trouble outfitting and transporting an invasion force of 75,000. These would be the cream of the crop of the armed forces of Manoa.

As you may have guessed I just received my revised Vampires Sourcebook and I love the storyline and additions. To me the Yucatan is the perfect place to rebuild Atlantean civilization on Rifts Earth and I believe Manao has the tools and the talent( and most importantly the will) to invade and occupy it.

Anyone else agree? Disagree?

BONUS QUESTION
The Anti-Monster backstory is goofy at best, and I feel I'm on safe ground saying that. Here's the question: Given that Manao is THE TW capital of Rifts Earth shouldn't they be the ones to create the first full conversion TW cyborgs?

Return to “Rifts®”