Plasma Delivery Bullets

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GhostKnight
Adventurer

Plasma Delivery Bullets

Unread post by GhostKnight »

Naruni plasma loads shoot a thousand feet and up. What if you only had to shoot 1 foot of plasma? Package it in a regular bullet and have the plasma go off at impact. Not like a wide area plasma grenade, but a tightly focused, narrow, short, plasma jet? Wouldn't it also be cheaper? Have armor piercing ability? Add flexibility to use a normal firearm to deliver MDC damage?

Story line may be developed in the middle east as a cheaper knock off and usable by the many different groups there.

12/3mm: 2d6x10 sdc, $1
22: 1 md, $1
223/556mm: 1d4 md, $2
243/6mm: 1d6, $3
280/7mm: 1d6+1 md, $4
300/7.62mm: 2d4 md, $4
357/9mm: 2d6 md, $5
40/10mm: 3d6 md, $6
45/11.4mm: 4d6 md, $7
50/12.7mm short: 5d6 md, $8
50 sniper / 12 guage slug: 6d6 md, $10, AP under 30 mdc
15mm: 1d4x10 md, $12, AP under 40 mdc
20mm: 1d4x10+10 md, $15, AP under 50 mdc
25mm: 1d6x10 md, $20, AP under 60 mdc
30mm: 1d6x10+10 md, $25, AP under 70 mdc
Recovery? Only for the rich and 20 counties.
Anti-Nuclear = Anti-Salmon
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Plasma Delivery Bullets

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

There are plasma rounds for shotguns. That might be the kind of thing that you're looking for, or a basis for them.
RGMG 112 (although I think they're from someplace before )

Explosive Shell (Plasma): 3d6 MD to a 6' diameter area, or 5d6 to a 12' diameter area for a double blast (counts as one attack)
Cost: CR 170 each.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Plasma round like that's essentially a small plasma grenade that leaves the barrel as a solid projectile and goes off on contact. .
IMO Naruni rounds are essentially plasma charges that go off in the weapon's barrel, which is constructed to direct and funnel the plasma in a shaped charge jet.
The former has the advantage of being able to be used with any convenient projectile weapon of the appropriate caliber, while the latter needs a special weapon, but has the advantage of greater plasma cohesion.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
GhostKnight
Adventurer

This would be a combination of both. Usable in a standard weapon, but creates a shaped (and maybe more intense) plasma charge rather than wide area effect. I'd expect that it would take far less plasma and thus be cheaper.
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

What you are describing is more allong the lines of AP rounds for grenade launchers, missiles and cannons.

If the plasma is creating a over pressure affect by the creation of super heated gasses it is a sound idea. If the plasma is just burning creating a smaller fire means less of the target burns.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

*cough*CTF*cough*
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
GhostKnight
Adventurer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:*cough*CTF*cough*
Children's Tumor Foundation?
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Wilks CTF cartridges are a similar idea to what you are talking about. In New West and GMG.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

RockJock wrote:Wilks CTF cartridges are a similar idea to what you are talking about. In New West and GMG.

Actually no they are not. CTF cartridges have more in common with Naruni Plasma Cartridge operation in that the discharge happens inside the gun, the OP (GhostKnight) is looking at something more like a bullet that explodes on contact (or in close proximity) with a shaped plasma type explosive (and covering the range of various sizes).

GhostKnight wrote:Naruni plasma loads shoot a thousand feet and up. What if you only had to shoot 1 foot of plasma? Package it in a regular bullet and have the plasma go off at impact. Not like a wide area plasma grenade, but a tightly focused, narrow, short, plasma jet? Wouldn't it also be cheaper? Have armor piercing ability? Add flexibility to use a normal firearm to deliver MDC damage?

Story line may be developed in the middle east as a cheaper knock off and usable by the many different groups there.

Before working out the damage for the bullets I would keep in mind that:
-these likely will not have the same stopping power as a plasma projector
-and try to keep things in-line with established sizes (I know Rifts doesn't use the size descriptor too often, its more common in 2E RT) and ratios
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Wouldn't this idea just be a plasma version of a frag-12 shotgun she'll?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

13eowulf wrote:Wouldn't this idea just be a plasma version of a frag-12 shotgun she'll?

depends on what its being fired from.

if its a shotgun shell sure, but if its a ~9mm pistol round then ... not so much.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

We have Ramjets doing 1 MD per bullet, Explosive doing 6d6 SDC(for a 9mm), a CTF cartridge that does 2d6+3 firing using a .45, and the Plasma impact bullet, or whatever you want to call it doing 4d6 in .45. Your Plasma idea is pretty close in game play and idea to the CTF, but doing more damage, useable in autos and SDC guns with no risk, and with an AP advantage in some sizes.

If this is a small quantity weapon, say salvaged by the players, with a finite amount of ammo I would be fine with it(as in a plot device). If it is going to be the new standard they can change the balance of the game a great deal.

If you are firing these out of a standard SDC firearm without an increased chance of blowing up we are talking the plasma bullet and casing need to be in the realm of a standard SDC bullet weight wise, or the gun needs to be reinforced to take the extra propellent. I also think some of the damages inside the series are a little off, but not unworkable(.45 vs .223 for example).

If these followed the guidelines of the set my the CTF a little more closely, but with different flavor I would be a go. If these were in my game as is everybody would soon be going around with full auto UMPs, Thompsons and similar with vehicles mounting chain guns.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Return to “Rifts®”