Naruni Plasma cartriges?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Naruni Plasma cartriges?

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

SHARKEY0818 wrote:Are these considered a kinectic attack or an energy attack?......also how does impervious to energy effect them as well as being who are inpervious to fire ?

it says quite plainly that when the fireing pin is depressed the matter turns into plasma energy, thus it is an energy attack and both impervious to energy as well as impervious to fire prevent damage
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

plasma isn't fire.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:plasma isn't fire.

no, but all damage comes from heat, and sinse impervious to fire says it also protects aginst heat as well as fire. . .

but that is why super fuel flame won't increase the damage

now, any random fires it may set off from the intense heat on the other hand. . .
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
tsh77769
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tsh77769 »

The problem I have with the Plasma cartridges is taht they have all of the disadvanatages (weight, bulk, need to load magazines, resupply additional rounds, cost, and according to some people regarding plasma weapons, recoil or noise) of kinetic ammo with none of the advantages (fewer things resistant to kinetic attacks than energy attacks).

Even worse, to put it another way, they have none of the advantages that e-clip fed weapons have (rechargability, able to connect to PA power supply, weight, etc.)

Now, on the other hand I think that TK weapons are AWESOME. They have all of the advantages of kinetic rounds and energy weapons. OTOH their obivous disadvantage is the need for psionics or magic (and the inability to link to a PA power supply), and I have noted their relatively poor damage.

tsh77769
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

no, but all damage comes from heat, and sinse impervious to fire says it also protects aginst heat as well as fire. . .

That's not entirely true. Plasma has the unique feature in that all the molecules in its makeup travel in a single uniform direction. This is unlike mater in any of its other three states where the molecules are going every-which-way even if there is a uniform direction for the overall mass it's in. Consequently, a high velocity stream of plasma should not only bathe its target in a gas that's few million degrees in temperature, but it should also hit with the force of a rampaging Mack truck! In essence, plasma as a weapon should be a double whammy.

Because of that, when it comes to the "Impervious to Energy" spell, the only fair thing to do is have directed plasma attacks do half damage.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Dead Boy wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

That's not entirely true. Plasma has the unique feature in that all the molecules in its makeup travel in a single uniform direction. This is unlike mater in any of its other three states where the molecules are going every-which-way even if there is a uniform direction for the overall mass it's in. Consequently, a high velocity stream of plasma should not only bathe its target in a gas that's few million degrees in temperature, but it should also hit with the force of a rampaging Mack truck! In essence, plasma as a weapon should be a double whammy.

Because of that, when it comes to the "Impervious to Energy" spell, the only fair thing to do is have directed plasma attacks do half damage.

then why in palladium does any monster that says in that just about anything that has half to immune to no damage from fire also say "this includes mega damage heat and plasma, and magic fires (most of the time here)"

grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Is the plasma from Palladium actually supposed to be the 4th state of matter? It never technically states that, it may be firing that stuff that's in blood :-).
I never try to get to hooked up on the physics of it all, half because I'm not a physicist and half because none of the rules really follow physics.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Pax Concord
D-Bee

Unread post by Pax Concord »

The biggest advantage to Naruni Plasma Cartidged, IIRC, is that they have the highest MD:credit ratio in the game.
-Pax
NoJack
Explorer

Unread post by NoJack »

The biggest advantage is that they look awesome, and they are intimidating as all get out. Try looking down the barrel of something that's big enough to be launching mini missles. Try not to wet your pants while you do it.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Technically, an actual plasma weapon would cause kinetic AND energy damage. Some of the damage would be kinetic due to a measurable mass of particles impacting the target, and energy due to the highly energetic nature of the "soup" impacting the target.

So, half damage from Naruni plasma weapons for persons immune to energy. Normal Rifts Earth plasma weapons...I'd say they are not true plasma weapons, since turning energy into actual plasma would be hideously expensive, and rediculously overhot... :D
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

SHARKEY0818 wrote:Are these considered a kinectic attack or an energy attack?......also how does impervious to energy effect them as well as being who are inpervious to fire ?

Plasma is technically matter, but it is considered energy for the purposes of spells and powers that resist it.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Borast wrote:Technically, an actual plasma weapon would cause kinetic AND energy damage. Some of the damage would be kinetic due to a measurable mass of particles impacting the target, and energy due to the highly energetic nature of the "soup" impacting the target.

So, half damage from Naruni plasma weapons for persons immune to energy. Normal Rifts Earth plasma weapons...I'd say they are not true plasma weapons, since turning energy into actual plasma would be hideously expensive, and rediculously overhot... :D

the problem with that theroy is, while it may be matter, it's not going at the speeds needed to do MD or too much SDC for that matter, so it's quite irrelavnet.

Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
~
~
~

z0b wrote:Is the plasma from Palladium actually supposed to be the 4th state of matter? It never technically states that, it may be firing that stuff that's in blood :-).

Depends on what kind of plasma weapon you're talking about. If we're talking about Plasma Warheads on all the various missiles and grenades, then the answer is NO. That would be some kind of highly compressed (maybe liquid) super-napalm that ruptures, sprays, and ignites all in the same motion.
If we're talking about the directed small arms like the NG-E12 or C-27, then the answer has to be YES. With those weapons the the weapon has no 'gas tank' of any kind, and the plama is produced with nothing more than an e-clip, which means that the weapon must be drawing in the surrounding air (or water), convet it into plasma and expell it with an EM pulse of some kind. The same would be true of those used by PA or bots, them being listed with a virtually unlimited payload, like the Super Sam and Mark VII Slayer.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Esckey
Adventurer

Unread post by Esckey »

and the plama is produced with nothing more than an e-clip, which means that the weapon must be drawing in the surrounding air (or water),

Which is probably why you almost never seen any plasma guns on spacecraft
God says he loves me, but I suspect he's just in it for the sex

Never underestimate someone as insane as I am

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

"Come Filthy Assistants!!"- Spider Jerusalem
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

..My people! Get your geek on! I love this psuedo-science techno-babble!

-Mike >8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
~
~
~

Esckey wrote:
and the plama is produced with nothing more than an e-clip, which means that the weapon must be drawing in the surrounding air (or water),

Which is probably why you almost never seen any plasma guns on spacecraft

Actually, that's one of the reasons why I balked at the CAF Silver Eagle power armor in Phase World. It's a space-based power armor that uses, among other things, plasma projectors as its primary weapon. With an unlimited payload at that!

MADMANMIKE wrote:..My people! Get your geek on! I love this psuedo-science techno-babble!

-Mike >8]

You do know I hold three PhD's in psuedo-science, rubber science, and sci-fi crap-science. :D

[img]x[/img]
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Heat/fire which is covered under Impervious to Energy.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Hey Wolfie, could you explain your view further ? page reference etc. And as far as i can remember from physics class, heat is just the rapid movement of molecules, the hotter things are the faster the molecules are moving, so should'nt plasma weapons have a kinetic damage component ? and should this apply to particle weapons ?
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Rimmer wrote:Hey Wolfie, could you explain your view further ? page reference etc. And as far as i can remember from physics class, heat is just the rapid movement of molecules, the hotter things are the faster the molecules are moving, so should'nt plasma weapons have a kinetic damage component ? and should this apply to particle weapons ?

It would have the kinetic damage of your average water balloon. It's basically just a superheated glob of goo.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Just remembered that APS Plasma describes itself as superheated gas, so maybe no kinetic impact.

Please no fart jokes everybody :D
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Hey Doom and Malignor, whats your take on Particle weapons then ?

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Rimmer wrote:Hey Doom and Malignor, whats your take on Particle weapons then ?

Never really considered them any different the laser or ion beam weapons. Just bigger and firing single blasts. I blame Gargoyles. :)

But Ghostbusters works too.
-George Orwell
Temporalmage
Hero

Re: Plasma Cartridges

Unread post by Temporalmage »

WolfieDaMutant wrote:Well the plasma cartridge for any NE series weapon fires a chemical charge of super heated plasma about 10,000 degrees at speed of sound so yes impact and fire. Enough for you guys there? the NE series weapons are my specialty and using a TW D-Clip on a NE-4 it holds 4050 rounds. Adds a selector switch for single shot, tri-burst and full auto you got a weapon that could tear up just about anything in the Rifts universe. But don't try firing off the whole clip since the barrel will overheat and all 4050 rounds explode in your hand, doing a great deal of damage 1d4 x10 x4050. Ouchy in a 3 ft area. So please be careful and dont hurt yourselfs.

If your using a TW D-clip, and the rounds somehow started to explode from heat transfer....wouldn't like 99% of the damage be contained inside the other dimension that was the clip?? Just curious.
http://world8.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=190003553
And TemporalMage went to the last page, Refusing to follow the trend." Ode to the Teleport Thread by The Fifth Business
And remember, "Book, Page number, and Quote", not, "Proclaim, Posture, and Belittle all those who think otherwise". Dead Boy
Esckey
Adventurer

Unread post by Esckey »

NE-4 Plasma Cartridge Pistol fires a 9 mm casless

Thought it was specifically stated that it had a 2inch bore?
God says he loves me, but I suspect he's just in it for the sex

Never underestimate someone as insane as I am

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

"Come Filthy Assistants!!"- Spider Jerusalem
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Rimmer wrote:Hey Doom and Malignor, whats your take on Particle weapons then ?

Not that you asked me but my opinion on PBW comes from Gundam the translated novel not the anime. The Particles are accelerated in a chamber. A laser fires nanoseconds before the particle beam to create an ionized corridor for the particles and also clear the path of as much random particulate matter as possible. The beam is release from the accelerator at near light speeds. The beam is not completely cohesive though from deflecting of said particulate matter or simply drifting from the charged corridor. This creates a slower traveling periphery. Game terms even a near miss will cause damage w/i 5 of required roll causing 1/4 damage. However if something is capable of deflecting the laser before the particle beam reaches it target (unlikely) the remaining particle beam will loose cohesiveness rapidly causing a drastic drop in damage and range. In Gundam the PBWs messed up shields with near misses ripping micro holes in them and causing them to be structurally unsound.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

For all their bulk and expense and suchlike, plasma cartridges have one _humungous_ advantage. The weapons that fire them are the simplest, easy to repair MDC firearms in all of Rifts. Seriously. Mechanically they're no more complicated than a 20th century firearm, it's just they happen to be built with materials capable of withstanding the spontaneous conversion of a plasma cartridge from matter to superheated gas.

And this means they've got another advantage: cheap weaponry. Ignore the absolutely bloody LUDICROUS prices for Naruni Cartridge Weapons listed in the book, they're clearly messed up. A weapon that simple, with no particularly complex components (all the hard work is done inside the cartridges), and manufacturing requirements that any Rifts Earth nation capable of making it's own plasma qeapons can match, means that it's gonna be _ridiculously_ easy to knock of naruni cartridge weapons. So if you want to apply some common sense, one would assume that Naruni sells cartridge weapons as cheaply as possible to kill off any potential profit margin for imitations and knock-offs, and makes the majority of it's profits from the sale of ammunition instead.

Rallan
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

MattLing wrote:Lasers are red, long bolts like in Star Wars. Sometimes they are green.

Ion blasters shoot teardrop-shaped blue bolts.

Plasma weapons shoot orangey red balls

Particle beams fire a long straight shot of blue with yellow balls inside.

And don't forget they always make noise even in space.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Esckey wrote:
NE-4 Plasma Cartridge Pistol fires a 9 mm casless

Thought it was specifically stated that it had a 2inch bore?

In his defence he did just make all that up. :)
-George Orwell
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Phalanx wrote:Because Palladium science has always been fuzzy at best? :)

*ding ding ding* We have a winner.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Beatleguise wrote:Impervious to Energy is only partial protection vs Plasma. Sais it right in the description.

Huh? Where? Page number and book title please.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Dr. Doom III
Knight

z0b wrote:
Beatleguise wrote:Impervious to Energy is only partial protection vs Plasma. Sais it right in the description.

Rifts Lemuria Page 95198491561 :)
-George Orwell
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Dr. Doom III wrote:
z0b wrote:

Rifts Lemuria Page 95198491561 :)

:D I thought it was in Australia 2 :lol:
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

it says quite plainly that when the fireing pin is depressed the matter turns into plasma energy, thus it is an energy attack and both impervious to energy as well as impervious to fire prevent damage

Actually, while Impervious to Energy would work, Impervious to Fire shouldn't, since plasma is not simply heat and light. Being the fourth state of matter, it is a "soup" of ionised particles and free electrons at extreme temperatures, and a high energy state that also produces some broad spectrum radiation. :D It also has a kinetic component since it is actually impacting you. :P
Fnord

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Borast wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Actually, while Impervious to Energy would work, Impervious to Fire shouldn't, since plasma is not simply heat and light. Being the fourth state of matter, it is a "soup" of ionised particles and free electrons at extreme temperatures, and a high energy state that also produces some broad spectrum radiation. :D It also has a kinetic component since it is actually impacting you. :P

it's more often refered to as impervious to fire and HEAT.

ALL fire is is heat.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Borast wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

it's more often refered to as impervious to fire and HEAT.

ALL fire is is heat.

No it's not. If it was just heat then all you'd see is heat waves. There are other elements to it. Now if you said all the damage caused by fire is heat I couldn't argue. Oh did you mean High Explosive Anti Tank or heat? :P
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Oh did you mean High Explosive Anti Tank or heat? :P

I was immune to Heat once...but the bastard started firing HESH at me! :(
Fnord

Return to “Rifts®”