Thoughts on pc choices?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Either way you're screwed...

First time you try to pass a dog-boy, you're shark-bait.
The Super Soldier treatment would show in your aura as a mutation.
The True Atlantean would show as not quite human as well.

Sorry to break it to you...
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Re-read the psi-power "Read Aura."
Fnord

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

See...
Read...

Whatever... :D

Same stink, different pile.

As for "mutants" and "abnormals"

Coalition dislikes them to hates them...they're not "pure." They won't kill 'em on sight, but they sure as hell won't just let 'em waltz into the city (or a military encampment) without, shall we say, "thorough" examination of you and your reasons... ;)

:lol:
Fnord

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Borast wrote:Either way you're screwed...

Mutoids are not really persecuted by the CS. They are human victims of the rifts after all. The Atlantian would only show up because of his Tattoos.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Borast wrote:See...
Read...

Whatever... :D

Same stink, different pile.

As for "mutants" and "abnormals"

Coalition dislikes them to hates them...they're not "pure." They won't kill 'em on sight, but they sure as hell won't just let 'em waltz into the city (or a military encampment) without, shall we say, "thorough" examination of you and your reasons... ;)

:lol:

Normal humans can't waltz into a CS city unless they are citizens or have a pass.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

super soldgier, yea most likely.

True atlantian. . . no, still pure human, however, the Tattos would make them show up as using magic, and subject to on-the-spot termination.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Black Cross wrote:Borast, I looked up See Aura under both its psionic and spell description from my handy dandy Rifts main book, Third Printing-May 1991 and they are both identical. This is I believe the line that is being used in this instance, I quote “The presence of an unusual human aberration, which indicates a serious illness, non-human, or mutant, but does not specify which.”. first, has this description changed since this printing in any other printed official Rifts material, I do not have either Psyscape, The Federation of Magic or The Rifts Book of Magic to look at to check this so help me out if so. If the descriptions have not changed then I think the last 5 words of this sentence are the key to the current conversation. So this would mean that someone who used this would know there was something different, but who does not detect magic, picnics, or other weirdness would not know for sure what the aberration was.

Dog Boy: “Sergeant there is something strange about this person.”

Psi-Stalker Sergeant: “I detect no magic or picnics on them and they look normal.”

Dog Boy: “I guess I just sense something in there aura.”

Psi-Stalker Sergeant: “Hey you, come here I have some questions.”

Super Soldier: “Yes sir, how can I help you.”

Psi-Stalker Sergeant: “ One of my pack doesn’t like the smell of you, answer some question.”

Super Soldier: “Yes sir.”

Psi-Stalker Sergeant: “Blah Blah Blah, is there anything I should know?”

Super Soldier: “Yes sir, I have cancer from working the mines at Such a place, syphilis from a prostitute, name the lie for the serious illness that could cause the See Aura ability to detect something and LIE! Roleplaying is the name of the game after all, or as my friends say, it is only cheating if you are caught.

Of course if this abilities description has changed than everything I have just said id moot depending on how it has changed.

There is definitely something wrong with the Dogboy's sense of smell if he can't detect a picnic. :)
-George Orwell
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Dr. Doom III wrote:

Mutoids are not really persecuted by the CS. They are human victims of the rifts after all. The Atlantian would only show up because of his Tattoos.

What d'ya mean "innocent victims"? those things just ain't human, they crawled outta the rift to take over our land (And Karl prosek won 3 purple hearts) ... even worse, they try to pass off as real men and delude us to cut us down more easily... unless the mutation is exceedingly minor (like a 6th finger) or purely psionic in nature, or well suited to fighting the supernatural, the mutant is going to be persecuted for a D Bee and likely executed as soon as he's shown to be impure.

As for Atlanteans, sorry, but not only would the tattoos show up as magic to a dog boy's or stalker's senses, but the aura would show mutation too... though more likely to be in the acceptable range. The marks of heritage, proof of consorting with mages, would not be acceptable at all however.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Svartalf
Champion

Black Cross wrote:Borast, I looked up See Aura under both its psionic and spell description from my handy dandy Rifts main book, Third Printing-May 1991 and they are both identical. This is I believe the line that is being used in this instance, I quote “The presence of an unusual human aberration, which indicates a serious illness, non-human, or mutant, but does not specify which.”. first, has this description changed since this printing in any other printed official Rifts material, I do not have either Psyscape, The Federation of Magic or The Rifts Book of Magic to look at to check this so help me out if so. If the descriptions have not changed then I think the last 5 words of this sentence are the key to the current conversation. So this would mean that someone who used this would know there was something different, but who does not detect magic, picnics, or other weirdness would not know for sure what the aberration was.

Dog Boy: “Sergeant there is something strange about this person.”

Psi-Stalker Sergeant: “I detect no magic or picnics on them and they look normal.”

Dog Boy: “I guess I just sense something in there aura.”

Psi-Stalker Sergeant: “Hey you, come here I have some questions.”

Super Soldier: “Yes sir, how can I help you.”

Psi-Stalker Sergeant: “ One of my pack doesn’t like the smell of you, answer some question.”

Super Soldier: “Yes sir.”

Psi-Stalker Sergeant: “Blah Blah Blah, is there anything I should know?”

Super Soldier: “Yes sir, I have cancer from working the mines at Such a place, syphilis from a prostitute, name the lie for the serious illness that could cause the See Aura ability to detect something and LIE! Roleplaying is the name of the game after all, or as my friends say, it is only cheating if you are caught.

Of course if this abilities description has changed than everything I have just said id moot depending on how it has changed.

Except that the guy would have to know it was his aura that was the problem (and notice, the stalker said "smell"), and he'd need psi lore to understand the nature or the matter, excellently thought.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

svartalf wrote:What d'ya mean "innocent victims"? those things just ain't human, they crawled outta the rift to take over our land (And Karl prosek won 3 purple hearts) ... even worse, they try to pass off as real men and delude us to cut us down more easily... unless the mutation is exceedingly minor (like a 6th finger) or purely psionic in nature, or well suited to fighting the supernatural, the mutant is going to be persecuted for a D Bee and likely executed as soon as he's shown to be impure.

Nope.
Those are D-bees.
They wouldn't take genetic testing so a human super solder unless he looked monstrous would just be another poor victim of the rifts.

As for Atlanteans, sorry, but not only would the tattoos show up as magic to a dog boy's or stalker's senses, but the aura would show mutation too... though more likely to be in the acceptable range. The marks of heritage, proof of consorting with mages, would not be acceptable at all however.

As stated above mutation wouldn't matter. Besides Atlantians are human. Apart from the marks there is no real difference.
-George Orwell
Svartalf
Champion

Dr. Doom III wrote:[
Nope.
Those are D-bees.
They wouldn't take genetic testing so a human super solder unless he looked monstrous would just be another poor victim of the rifts.

As stated above mutation wouldn't matter. Besides Atlantians are human. Apart from the marks there is no real difference.

Genetic testing? come along, a lot of D bees that are persecuted and killed are 100% human and they know it, but being human is not enough, they want only EARTH humans, the rest is just scum to be made into fertilizer or misted. Anything that devies from the human norm is doubly so.

As for Atlanteans...If by "human" you mean that they are human looking, generally have the same abilities and limitations as humans, and are actually genetically compatible and able to interbreed with humans, I follow you. However, they have some major deviations from the human norm : Superior abilities, vastly greater life span, immunity to being transformed, continual growth throughout their lives, and that vampire sense they have... if all that doesn't suffice to denote them as mutants, given the fact that simple sickness is normally enough to set off the alarm... I just don't know what does. From a dog boy's standpoint, it might even be enough to be detected by smell alone ... " that guy just smells weird for a human"...)

Of course that is moot, because the dog's magic sense will detect the marks of heritage long before he gets a look at the Atlantean's aura, and that alone is enough to warrant summary execution.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

svartalf wrote:Genetic testing? come along, a lot of D bees that are persecuted and killed are 100% human and they know it, but being human is not enough, they want only EARTH humans, the rest is just scum to be made into fertilizer or misted. Anything that devies from the human norm is doubly so.

The only way they would know it is if they were told by someone to new to Rifts earth to know better.

As for Atlanteans...If by "human" you mean that they are human looking, generally have the same abilities and limitations as humans, and are actually genetically compatible and able to interbreed with humans, I follow you. However, they have some major deviations from the human norm : Superior abilities, vastly greater life span, immunity to being transformed, continual growth throughout their lives, and that vampire sense they have... if all that doesn't suffice to denote them as mutants, given the fact that simple sickness is normally enough to set off the alarm... I just don't know what does. From a dog boy's standpoint, it might even be enough to be detected by smell alone ... " that guy just smells weird for a human"...)

Of course that is moot, because the dog's magic sense will detect the marks of heritage long before he gets a look at the Atlantean's aura, and that alone is enough to warrant summary execution.

Since See Aura detects mutations and also detects someone being sick with no way to tell the difference I don't think that would even matter. Also do you think Dogboys use see aura on everyone they see? They would need thousands of PPE. The tattoos are like spells. Undetectable until activated. Cover them and no one is the wiser.

No scent and therefore no questions or a reason to look at his aura.
Last edited by Dr. Doom III on Sat Aug 28, 2004 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-George Orwell
Svartalf
Champion

Dr. Doom III wrote:
svartalf wrote:Genetic testing? come along, a lot of D bees that are persecuted and killed are 100% human and they know it, but being human is not enough, they want only EARTH humans, the rest is just scum to be made into fertilizer or misted. Anything that devies from the human norm is doubly so.

The only way they would know it is if they were told by someone to new to Rifts earth to know better.

While I won't go with the people in the "realistic characters" thread and says that the CS are past masters at detecting those things and just WILL KNOW, They are still experts, and will have a number of methods and tricks to ferret out human looking D Bees and humans of alien origin. Of coure, the first and easiest method is to hunt for those that are not really human. So they'll hunt, persecute and aliminate any individuals exhibiting unhuman traits, whether that be some physiological differences, weird abilities, or just skin and hair in anime colors.

Since See Aura detects mutations and also detects someone being sick with no way to tell the difference I don't think that would even matter. Also do you think Dogboys use see aura on everyone they see? They would need thousands of PPE. The tattoos are like spells. Undetectable until activated. Cover them and no one is the wiser.

No sent and therefore no questions or a reason to look at his aura.

Sure, there's no way to tell the difference between a sick person and a mutant, but remember, we're talking hardline fascists here. Better to put an innocent sick person out of his suffering than to even risk letting one of those bastards taint our land !! And remember, it takes an experienced or skilled dodger to know what it is they don't like about him and find the glib answer.

And sorry, but the tattoos are actually magical construct/focusses/items, rather than potential abilities... remember they were made by massive infusion of PPE over a construction process... as such, they would be detecteble as magic... say like a mage not using his powers.

And given the important differences between the Atlantean and standard human abilities... it could be enough to make them smell somewhat different from ordinary people.
MikePGS
D-Bee

Unread post by MikePGS »

Is there any official ruling on whether or not those with "exceptional abilities" have an increased amount of PPE on rifts earth? if so, the argument is moot:P...later
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

MikePGS wrote:Is there any official ruling on whether or not those with "exceptional abilities" have an increased amount of PPE on rifts earth? if so, the argument is moot:P...later

depends. a lot of the OCC's from HU get boosts to PPE according to Conversion Book One. the mutant has 6d6 PPE for exsample. . .
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Svartalf
Champion

MikePGS wrote:Is there any official ruling on whether or not those with "exceptional abilities" have an increased amount of PPE on rifts earth? if so, the argument is moot:P...later

Remember that, unless the person has psionic or magical abilities, high PPE, while detectable by see aura and unusual, will not trigger a dog boy's or stalker's bells. Such mutants must be found by other means
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Atlanteans are a MUTATED human. Even one without Marks of Heritage, they would show as a "mutated" human. However, they would likely (just) fall into the catagory of "Within Acceptable Limits." Why? Simple...their mutations consist of an immunity to transformation and extended lifespan. Neither would be quantifiable by any means the CS has access to...unless they read Heinlein's Lazarus Long books... ;)

As for the Super Soldier, his aura would still register significant differences, as the process makes them "more" than human. Further, the mutations generally are detectable.
Fnord

Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Passing a SS off as a Juicer could prove difficult...unless the SS's enhancements caused a similar enhancement as what the Juicer has (ie: superhuman speed, dexterity, and reflexes. In short, your SS wouldn't "move" like a Juicer, and would (eventually) be caught-out.
Fnord

Return to “Rifts®”