number of attacks per melee

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

how about a dog boy of lvl 9 with some mutant abnormalities adding a melee attack or two, like ambidexterity? Dog boys normally don't have access to boxing, but the GM's disregarding that is a possibility..
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

..Or poor GMing. A GM gets an idea in his head, decides the NPC won't be beaten so he just fudges... Happens all the time.

-Mike <8[
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

umm. . . actually, ALL dodges take attacks. there are no free dodges.

unless a PC has a skill called Autododge, wich only some classes or those with Hand to Hand Commando combat skill have.

in the above case, ALL dodges are free.

Commando is taught only by the Coalition specail forces, and some New West gunmen.
Last edited by Nekira Sudacne on Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Lucky wrote:i think SF from mercs can get it too, as well as the CS nauticall commando.

I have a houserule that lets SF from mercs get it, but it's not actually offically in the text
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Lucky wrote:i think SF from mercs can get it too, as well as the CS nauticall commando.

I have a houserule that lets SF from mercs get it, but it's not actually offically in the text
of course it's not in the text... Mercenaries was published years before CWC introduced HTH Commando, but it's logical to allow them to have it.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Aerv
D-Bee

Unread post by Aerv »

There's a few more classes that have come out of the woodwork that allow Commando now, such as the Warborn from Rifter #8. Now that's a force to be reckoned with.

Warborn with HTH Commando, Pilot Combat: Elite and a Silverhawk PA == 9 attack per melee at first level.
In Communist Russia, role-playing game plays you!
Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

It's possible that this Dog Boy was infact a Kill Hound that gets an extra attack, (maybe with the Super Predator abnormality and/or Ambidexterity for an extra one or two on top of that too), and was of a significant level. It's also possible that he was using Paired Weapons, using a small number of double attacks for maximum damage, and then saving his other attacks for dodoges. Sure, the Paired Weapons wouldn't add extra melee attacks per se, but the GM might have been spacing the second strikes out into the next melee action for appearences, which isn't that bad of a fudge really.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

heck, it could have been a TMNT/AtB/HU2 style mutant dog...
I know I like to throw stuff like that at my players now an then to keep them on their toes.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

You can continue to dodge after all your attacks are burned up. They jut start eating up attacks from subsequent rounds.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***

Unread post by Guest »

Dr. Doom III wrote:You can continue to dodge after all your attacks are burned up. They jut start eating up attacks from subsequent rounds.

Ah yes, the infamous, "we haven't read the original combat rules" change to Dodges that directly contradicts the existing combat system. Whoever (and I'm naming no names) came up with that change needs to be beaten with a stick for not knowing the Palladium combat systems.
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

Actually you start with 4
3 if you picked HTH:Assassin

This is clarified in the Game Master's Guide

and if you don't like the dodging rules there's a revised set also in the Game Master's Guide.

And (Yes I know you can't start a sentence with AND) you can dodge even if you've used up all of your actions, it just burns up actions from the next melee

If you only had 2 actions per melee and you were fighting with vibroblades the first swing would take 7.5seconds to do... effectively making you fighting in slow motion. It's not that you attack twice (Each at 2.5sec) and then stand there for 10 seconds. If I misunderstood you I'm sorry.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Illithid13 wrote:nope you got me correctly... I was unawair (as is our gm I believe, this being his first Rifts campaign) that I should have 4 attacks at lvl 2 H2H:MA. Where are these rules (book and pg number please) so I can enlighten our GM.

well, it was hidden under Psychic combat that all PC's automatically have 2 attacks per melee, regardless of HtH skill, with those added on.

now, Rifts GM's guide has updated it so it says that Hth basic, expert, Martial arts, and Commando start with 4 attacks per melee to clarify, with Hth assassin with 3 attacks per melee.

also, HtH martial arts and assassin also gain intiitve bonuses as they advance, so it's recommend you pick it up.

SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

Well In the original RIFTS main rule book it ASSUMES that you know that you start with 2 APM (Actions per melee) and then the hand to hand skills give you an additional two... but if you want them clarified...

Game Master's Guide
Page 45

It lists all of the hand to hand skills and how many actions per melee they have.. on page 44 it just says the bit about with no hand to hand skills you only get 2APM
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:well, it was hidden under Psychic combat that all PC's automatically have 2 attacks per melee, regardless of HtH skill, with those added on.

So well "hidden" in fact that NPCs from the first dozen or so books don't have them.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***

Return to “Rifts®”