BTS Films

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

lordgarvan

Unread post by lordgarvan »

Definately anything from the X-Files, umm the old show Night Stalker(remember this one). Any you could expande on alot of the Twilight Zone or Outer Limits stuff.
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

TV shows: Relic Hunter, Poltergeist: The Legacy (Has lantant psy's), Friday the 13th: The Series, X Files, Alien Nation, American Gothic, Angel (to some exstent), Beast Master (can be made to be scary), Buffy, Brimstone, Werewolf, Beyond Reality, The Chronicle, Fantastic Journey, Forever Knight, Freakylinks, Good vs. Evil, Kindred: The Embraced, Kolchak: The Night Stalker, Kung Fu, Kung Fu: The Legend Continues, The Lost World, The Man From Atlantis, Mortal Kombat: Conquest, Mysterious Island, Mysterious Ways, Night Visions, Night Gallery, One Step Beyond, The Outer Limits, The Planet Of The Apes, Prey, 7 Days, Psi Factor: Chronicles Of The Paranormal, Roswell, Sabrina: The Teenage Witch, Shena, The Sentinel, The Star Gate shows, Strange World, Swamp Thing, Tales From The Crypt, Tales From The Darkside, The Twilight Zone, Vampire High (For those of you who are Canadian, or like me who visited there and watched it one Spring), Weird Science, Full Moon Fright Night, Wolf Lake, and The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

I wanted to open a TV Network, until I found out the cost!
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

I'm surprised at you guys at missing the classic victim movie series.

All the Friday the 13th movies
All the Nightmare on Elm Street movies
Both Chainsaw Masicure movies
And lets not forget the Holloween series
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
pblackcrow
Champion

I did an adaptation of a mixture of Warlock and Warlock Armageddon, in a game of BtS. And the 3 players were not that into it until the end of the game.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
welvrin

MOIVIES WITH A BTS THEME

Unread post by welvrin »

I'M NOT SURE IF ANYONE MENTIONED JAPANESE ANIMATION BUT THERE ARE A LOT OF THEM OUT THERE THAT COVERED BOTH THE VICTIM AND HERO SIDE OF THE SUPERNATURAL MENACE IN THE SAME FILM
zor_prime1
Rifter® Contributer

Another BTS movie

Unread post by zor_prime1 »

One movie that I thought of that is a perfect reflection (IMO) of the BTS world is Big Trouble in Little China.
Here we have a truck driver, Jack Burton, who is a no nonsense kind of guy (played by Kurt Russel). He happens upon a supernatural underworld plot to bring a great evil back to life. He has to save his friend's girl, who will be sacrificed, and has to get his diesel truck back, which is his bread and butter. He ends up following a wizard type guy down into the labrinths of Little China to face beings that fully use magic, in which he doesn't really believe in at first.

If you haven't seen it, I'd highly recommend it. It's way funny and a great adventure!
"I've been senile for as long as I can remember!" - I forget
Grimnr
D-Bee

Unread post by Grimnr »

Here is a list of movies for anyone really into BTS all are based on the writings of H.P. Lovecraft

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0522454/

They are all well really bad but can make for a good game.
"Ok its a demon that much I know, well that and that its big, really big."--Jack "Smith" P.A.B. Feild Agent calling for back up
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

Frailty
but i say that for every Humans v. Monsters thing....
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

Misfit KotLD wrote:Not as much the film as the book, but the Relic is good BTS fodder. An ancient tribe's lore runs amok in a Chicago museum. Though it's a scientifit phenomenom the critter is still big, nasty, and very demonic looking.

One correction. While it IS the Field Museum of Chicago that stars in the film, it is posing as the Smithsonian Museum in Washington DC. The real Smithsonian would not allow them to film there for fear of damaging the exhibits.

But its not like the Field Museum doesn't have its own share of spooks, including an Egyptian Mummy whose ghost supposedly likes to go for a walk or two after hours, as well as the reports of animal growls from near the display of the two maneating African lions that inspired the film, The Ghost and the Darkness.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

John Doe the TV series.

Dog Soldiers

The Ghost and the Darkness

Snow Queen

and the list goes on and on...
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

All three of the 'Tremors' movies are good BTS fodder.

Basic plot of the first one. huge subterranean worms start devouring livestock and people in a small town in nevada. the characters must figure out how to survive/kill critters that can track them by ground vibrations, move underground faster then a man can run, and have a fairly high intelligence and ability to learn.
there's a fair amount of humor, (the worms are eventually named 'graboids' by the local store owner, who wants to trademark the name.) but overall it's quite scary. even though all but one scene take place in broad daylight.

the next film turns into a 'monster hunter' flick as a couple of the characters from the first film are approached by the mexican government, it seems they have a problem with graboids and are willing to pay good money to the only 'experts' in killing them. all goes well until the characters discover that graboids have a very um, Interesting life cycle. (baby graboids are not worms.)

the third film follows the same formula, with another twist in the monsters life cycle forcing the characters to think on their feet. all three films have scary moments, good humor and great lines. as well as some excellent character ideas.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Chuck Lang
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chuck Lang »

Scanning through the previous posts I didn't see mention of the Hellraiser series.

While some of the movies are severely lacking, the themes involved and the archaeological aspects could be excellent material for a BtS campaign or adventure.

Searching for the mysterious puzzles and collecting them while attempting to fend of the Cenobites that were summoned by empty-headed NPCs would be kinda cool and freaky.
pblackcrow
Champion

Re: MOIVIES WITH A BTS THEME

welvrin wrote:I'M NOT SURE IF ANYONE MENTIONED JAPANESE ANIMATION BUT THERE ARE A LOT OF THEM OUT THERE THAT COVERED BOTH THE VICTIM AND HERO SIDE OF THE SUPERNATURAL MENACE IN THE SAME FILM

Yes, and for those who haven't seen the series' Peacock King: Spirit Warrior and Crying Freeman...Do so. It's worth it! Though, Ninja Scroll is great too.
Ankh, udja, seneb.

Unread post by Guest »

GOOD GOD!

How could you people overlook THE MASTER of suspense?

Hitchcock.

Replace Human Psycho:A with Human Seeming Monster that Reveals it's True form somewhere along the plotline and you will have your players wetting themselves.

I am going to get BTS 2e when it comes out, I've never played BTS, but I think I will have a LOT of fun scaring my girlfriend to death in an X-files/Meets Hitchcock/Meets Typical Hollywood Monster flick type game.

Edit: Someone reminded me of another Source which will surely influence my games, Brian Lumley's Necroscope Series...

the Uniquely Talented Espers, the secret wars being waged below ground, the fact that while the Espers are powerful, they are still fragile humans...

oh yes...

it will be grand, and there will be much shrieking when I poke her and say "BOO!" mid game.
pblackcrow
Champion

Bad Paul :frust:!

Here use this...I am just damageing the wall with my head. :thwak: Yipe! Ah, much better.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Rpgpunk
Explorer

Unread post by Rpgpunk »

The Prophecy 1, 2, & 3

Unread post by Guest »

Um....

Witch Hunter Robin....I haven't seen much of it...but it kinda seems right up the BTS vein.

heck, Read or Die does at certain points.
count zero
Explorer
Comment: I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Unread post by count zero »

darkspring wrote:They even had one set in victorian london with giant rats and a chinese sorcerer .
Used a lot of the plots in my BTS games

Darkspring :D

Ah, "The Talons of Weng-Chiang". Classic.

Tom Baker's stint as the Doctor was the best of em all. And overall, it was a pretty dark and often creepy 10-year segment of the show, in a low-budget way. That show as a whole has plenty of fodder for scenarios or campaigns.

pax
Ø
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Not Movies. GAMES!

The Suffering, Fatal Frame 1,2, Resident Evil, Silent Hill

In fact my next game when I get the book is inspried by Fatal frame and Silent hill. The Local is something "barrowed" from the suffering. And I'll throw zombies somewhere in there.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Movies:

The Keep . Most definitely.
The Thing (John Carpenters')
The Relic.
Hellboy.
Wicked City.
Poltergeist.
The Entity.
The Exorcist.

and while it's not supernatural, I add to my list The Ghost and The Darkness, just for the suspensefulness.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Omote
Explorer
Comment: To the extreme!

Unread post by Omote »

It's been mentioned before, but I would reiterate the FILM: PHANTOMS (underrated IMO as well).

For games, I'd have to go with the SILENT HILL series, especially SH4; THE ROOM.

For books, I generally go with the H.P. Lovecraft compilations... there is a great story called "RATS IN THE WALLS." I think that short story is decidedly less Cthulhu-esque, but creepy in the same way. A wonderful short read.

....................................Omote
FPQ
"My god is weird. My god is strange. My god taints a pretty picture." - KT
VAY VICTUS!

Unread post by Guest »

Darkness.

Cool movie too.
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Blood: The Last Vampire would be a good one to base a game on.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

friday the 13th the series.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

Dark Shadows
Tommyknockers
Silence of the Lambs
Pit and the Pendulum (anything else Poe wrote in the horror genre)
More than a few Sherlock Holmes novels
Anita Blake series
Anything other than the harlequin books from Anne Rice, Witches series in particular
Shannara series
Demon Apostle series (Salvatore)
Time Master trilogy (Louise Cooper)

I'm sure there's more but thats what comes to mind.

Unread post by Guest »

law and order, vanilla, svu, and ci.

treat it like a murder mystery...

try it sometime...

it's fun, I promise.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Mr. Pain wrote:ANYTHING by Laurell Hamilton(People are dying and all anita can think of is who she is going to sleep with.)

That's just not accurate.
Anita still kills more people than she sleeps with... its just that the numbers are getting higher and higher.

While I wouldn't recommend the series for a BtS setting, it's still a great series.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”