This is the thread that never ends, it goes on and on...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Is T-porting into a vehicle possible

yes
62%
no
38%

Total votes: 188

Temporalmage
Hero

Unread post by Temporalmage »

PigLickJF wrote:Exactlly, both of those are your opinion, because the rules don't tell us one way or another. And if the rules don't tell us whether magic needs to "affect" the destination, they don't tell us whether one can t-port into a vehicle/bot or not. As I said, there is no specific canon ruling, and it's a GM's call.

PigLick

Here's somthing that isn't my opinion. Teleportation in all it's forms is magic. Magic can not get into a robot or giant vehicle, nor can magic get out. Therefor you could not teleport into or out of a robot or giant vehicle. Good enough for ya?? :frust:
http://world8.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=190003553
And TemporalMage went to the last page, Refusing to follow the trend." Ode to the Teleport Thread by The Fifth Business
And remember, "Book, Page number, and Quote", not, "Proclaim, Posture, and Belittle all those who think otherwise". Dead Boy
Temporalmage
Hero

Dr. Doom III wrote:
Temporalmage wrote:1. If a mage teleported near a dog-boy or psi-stalker, would either one sense the teleportation that just occured? I say yes, as magic was used nearby.

Only if the spell was actually cast nearby. If it was cast half way around the world they will not detect any magic.

2. If an anti-magic cloud happened to be in effect on the exact spot a mage wanted to teleport to, would he be able to arrive inside that anti-magic cloud? I say the mage would have to make a saving throw, and if the save failed would have to roll on the failed teleport chart to determine where he ended up. Could be fatal.
Just my opinion, but I'm interested in reading what others that have paid attention to this long winded thread think.

Yes. He would't be able to teleport out however.

No surprise that once again we have a differance of opinion. :lol:
And TemporalMage went to the last page, Refusing to follow the trend." Ode to the Teleport Thread by The Fifth Business
And remember, "Book, Page number, and Quote", not, "Proclaim, Posture, and Belittle all those who think otherwise". Dead Boy
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Temporalmage wrote:Yes he did. Thats why its called the "Target destination".

No it's not.
It's called that because that is where you are going.

The range of the teleport superior spell is listed as: Self or others; distance of 300 miles per level of experiance. So you DO cast the spell at the destination, which could only be within range. The same is true of teleport lessor which lists it's range as: 5 miles per level of experiance; touch. You have to touch the object, but the spell still targets the final destination, otherwise how would it ever arrive?

No you think of where you're going. You can't touch something 5 to 300 miles away inside something or not.

Once again I partially disagree. While it does bypass intervening space, the magic itself must still target where the mage or object is to appear. If the magic doesn't target the space properly then the mage or object is off course and ends up elsewhere. Once again I'd have to ask how the person ends up at the final place if magic wasn't present?

It doesn't really matter if it does or not since it totally bypasses the skin of the bot, vehicle or cardboard box anyway.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Temporalmage wrote:Here's somthing that isn't my opinion. Teleportation in all it's forms is magic. Magic can not get into a robot or giant vehicle, nor can magic get out. Therefor you could not teleport into or out of a robot or giant vehicle. Good enough for ya?? :frust:

Yep.
It's also wrong. :P
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
Temporalmage
Hero

Dr. Doom III wrote:
It doesn't really matter if it does or not since it totally bypasses the skin of the bot, vehicle or cardboard box anyway.

It matters quite a bit actually.

Deffinition time:
Penetrate: To gain admittance or access.

If you can't gain admittance or access to the inside of a robot by using magic, then how do you propose to do so with teleportation??
Temporalmage
Hero

Dr. Doom III wrote:
Temporalmage wrote:Here's somthing that isn't my opinion. Teleportation in all it's forms is magic. Magic can not get into a robot or giant vehicle, nor can magic get out. Therefor you could not teleport into or out of a robot or giant vehicle. Good enough for ya?? :frust:

Yep.
It's also wrong. :P

Your entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong it may be. Are you feeling well Doom? Your writing an awfully lot today. Your tummy must be feeling better. :)
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Temporalmage wrote:Your entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong it may be.

I'm glad you feel that way since only you are giving an opinion. 8)
-George Orwell
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Temporalmage wrote:It matters quite a bit actually.

Deffinition time:

If you can't gain admittance or access to the inside of a robot by using magic, then how do you propose to do so with teleportation??

Damn!
Magic really does suck.
Apparently even if you can't even blow a hole in the side of a robot vehicle with an annihilate spell since magic cannot penetrate it.
Hell you can't even use magical telekinesis to open an unlocked hatch since magic cannot penetrate it. :rolleyes:
-George Orwell
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Unread post by PigLickJF »

As your opinion of how the rules work? Yep, it's perfectly fine. Still doesn't make it the canon ruling.

PigLick
Temporalmage
Hero

Dr. Doom III wrote:
Temporalmage wrote:It matters quite a bit actually.

Deffinition time:

Damn!
Magic really does suck.
Apparently even if you can't even blow a hole in the side of a robot vehicle with an annihilate spell since magic cannot penetrate it.

Now your just being a sore loser. Of course you could blow a hole in a robot with annihilate....cause the magic would only effect the robot. I've covered that material already....wern't you paying attention??
Hell you can't even use magical telekinesis to open an unlocked hatch since magic cannot penetrate it. :rolleyes:

Any magic cast outside would only effect the robot itself....so of course you could use TK to open an unlocked door!!! Man your way off your cracker dude. This has nothing to do with the topic at hand and you should know that. :thwak:
Last edited by Temporalmage on Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temporalmage
Hero

PigLickJF wrote:

As your opinion of how the rules work? Yep, it's perfectly fine. Still doesn't make it the canon ruling.

PigLick

So how do you interpret the rules I've previously quoted then?? I soppose you think it's perfectly fine for magic pigion to just appear inside a robot then? Or how about swap enemy? That spell is a type of teleport spell so I geuss you must think that would work if the target was inside a robot huh?? I soppose that Piglick doesn't think teleportation is magical in any way. Ya, sounds like somthing the Naruni makes. :thwak:
I'd say more but I might offend someone and heaven knows I don't wanna offend sombody's sensabilities!! :roll:
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Temporalmage wrote:So how do you interpret the rules I've previously quoted then?? I soppose you think it's perfectly fine for magic pigion to just appear inside a robot then? Or how about swap enemy? That spell is a type of teleport spell so I geuss you must think that would work if the target was inside a robot huh?? I soppose that Piglick doesn't think teleportation is magical in any way. Ya, sounds like somthing the Naruni makes. :thwak:

I'd have to look at the spells in question, I'm not familiar with them. However, it sounds like there would LoS issues with both of those spells.

And I do think the teleport spell is magical, never said otherwise. However, whther or not the destination of the spell is a "target" of and "effected by" the magic of the spell is another matter.

PigLick
Temporalmage
Hero

PigLickJF wrote:I'd have to look at the spells in question, I'm not familiar with them. However, it sounds like there would LoS issues with both of those spells.

Magic Pigion can be cast without seeing the target, the pigion searches out it's target for a few months and then presents itself to whoever it's sopposed to give it's message too. I don't think someone cloistered inside a robot would ever get that message unless they stepped out of the robot. Due to magic not being able to get inside. As for Swap enemy's, that was a trick question on my part. The spell is indeed a type of teleport spell, teleporting the mage to the spot thier enemy is at, while at the same time puting the enemy person at the spot the mage is/was at. But the spell discription specifically states it won't work through power armor or robots.

And I do think the teleport spell is magical, never said otherwise. However, whther or not the destination of the spell is a "target" of and "effected by" the magic of the spell is another matter.

PigLick

If a person is wisked to a far away location by magic, then the magic would be in effect till the person got to the destination. If teleport took hours the magic would be in effect for hours. As the spell states it's instantanious then that's how long the magic is in effect. Magic is stated as being unable to pass through robots or giant vehicles skin. The word that is used is "penetrate". Or as it's deffinition say: to pass through. Without some contradictory statement from one of the uber many Palladium books that would say it's perfectly fine to teleport into a robot or giant vehicle, we the gamers are left with a rule that has been stated twice in the same book telling us that magic can't get into a robot. One thing I've said in the past is that if such a thing was possible, then why wasn't it mentioned in one of the Tolkeen books? I'd have thought that little gem would have been real common during that war. Just teleport a fusion block into a robots cabin and see the fireworks from 5 miles away. BUT it was never mention in any of those books, which did give ample ideas on how Tolkeen used it's magical powers to fight the technological CS. If it was a possibility then the idea should have seen print. I've seen this topic bandered about on these boards a few times over the past years. It's not like its a new one.
Temporalmage
Hero

Tyciol wrote:TM, you're wrong, and you haven't proven yourself write.

Then prove me wrong. Or prove yourself (w)right. You havn't shown me one evidence that you can teleport into a robot. Or that any of the teleport spells are exceptions to the rule.

When facing a rule, and you lack evidence that a spell is an exception to this rule, you must follow the guidlines put forth by the rule that states "all magic". To arbitrarily state that teleport is an exception to this all encompasing rule of magic is to make an assumtion. And we all know what "assumption" means don't we? It's making an ass out you and umption. :lol:
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Temporalmage wrote:If a person is wisked to a far away location by magic, then the magic would be in effect till the person got to the destination. If teleport took hours the magic would be in effect for hours.

Says who? Not the books. It doesn't specify one way or another and magic being what it is (ie illogical, unrealistic, and not limited by physics or any sort of natural law), there is no way for us to know unless the creators of the magic system tell us which, again, they don't.

PigLick
Temporalmage
Hero

PigLickJF wrote: there is no way for us to know unless the creators of the magic system tell us which, again, they don't.

PigLick

Yes they did. "No magic can penetrate..." Seems pretty simple to me. And just a few minutes ago you yourself admited that teleport was magical. So now explain to me agian how a magical spell can penetrate a robot?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Temporalmage wrote:
PigLickJF wrote: there is no way for us to know unless the creators of the magic system tell us which, again, they don't.

PigLick

Yes they did. "No magic can penetrate..." Seems pretty simple to me. And just a few minutes ago you yourself admited that teleport was magical. So now explain to me agian how a magical spell can penetrate a robot?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I said the teleport spell itself was magical, yes. However, whether the destination is a "target" of the spell and is "effected by" the spell is a different matter.

"No magic can penetrate..." is pretty simple (although they themselves contradict it...), but whether or not magic *needs* to "penetrate" is what we're discussing, here. And I'll say it once more, the books don't tell us one way or another. As you would say, show me specifically in a book where it says that the destination is a target of and is effected by, a teleport spell.

You yourself seemed to admit (or at least imply) several posts ago that there is no such rule, since you asked questions about t-porting into an anti-magic cloud then gave your opinions on the answers. Why opinions and not rules? Because there are none.

PigLick
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Temporalmage wrote:As for Swap enemy's, that was a trick question on my part. The spell is indeed a type of teleport spell, teleporting the mage to the spot thier enemy is at, while at the same time puting the enemy person at the spot the mage is/was at. But the spell discription specifically states it won't work through power armor or robots.

Question: If teleport cannot work through bots then why does this particular teleport like spell need something to say that it cannot work through them?

Answer: It wouldn't unless regular teleport can get through and this was pointing out a difference.

Oh it also says Power armor and bots right? What about vehicles? I guess Swap Enemy works through vehicles. By extention so would teleport which can also get through bots since they don't have anything saying it can't in the description.

Your argument has created the seeds of its own destruction. :)
-George Orwell
Temporalmage
Hero

PigLickJF wrote:I said the teleport spell itself was magical, yes. However, whether the destination is a "target" of the spell and is "effected by" the spell is a different matter.

"No magic can penetrate..." is pretty simple (although they themselves contradict it...), but whether or not magic *needs* to "penetrate" is what we're discussing, here. And I'll say it once more, the books don't tell us one way or another. As you would say, show me specifically in a book where it says that the destination is a target of and is effected by, a teleport spell.

You yourself seemed to admit (or at least imply) several posts ago that there is no such rule, since you asked questions about t-porting into an anti-magic cloud then gave your opinions on the answers. Why opinions and not rules? Because there are none.

PigLick

Ah, you've explained your stance a lot better here. In answer to this line of questioning I'll hang my argument on a single phrase just like Doom has hung his argument. The phrase is "target destination". This indicates to me that magic is "targeted" at the "destination" of the teleport spell, and thus couldn't do so as per the rules regarding robots and giant vehicles. My argument has just as much validity as Dooms argument of "anywhere".
Temporalmage
Hero

Dr. Doom III wrote:Question: If teleport cannot work through bots then why does this particular teleport like spell need something to say that it cannot work through them?

Simple. All the original teleport spells were in print long before Sourcebook 1 or the BOM was even thought of. 90% of all the spells in the BOM are just cut and paste, so nothing was reworded to accomodate the new rules. Swap Enemy is a spell that was created after Palladium decided that magic couldn't pass through robots and such so was written up with that rule in mind.

Answer: It wouldn't unless regular teleport can get through and this was pointing out a difference.

For the correct answer see above.

Oh it also says Power armor and bots right? What about vehicles? I guess Swap Enemy works through vehicles. By extention so would teleport which can also get through bots since they don't have anything saying it can't in the description.

Now your just being catty. Please explain your logic here instead of your wit.

My argument must have you on the ropes if your resorting to nitpicking instead of giving all of us book quotes to back up your argument.
Though it is nice to see you giving more than 6 word statements!! Thanks Doomy!! :ok: Now if only you could get your information right!! :lol:
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Temporalmage wrote:
Dr. Doom III wrote:Question: If teleport cannot work through bots then why does this particular teleport like spell need something to say that it cannot work through them?

Simple. All the original teleport spells were in print long before Sourcebook 1 or the BOM was even thought of. 90% of all the spells in the BOM are just cut and paste, so nothing was reworded to accomodate the new rules. Swap Enemy is a spell that was created after Palladium decided that magic couldn't pass through robots and such so was written up with that rule in mind.

For the correct answer see above.

Now your just being catty. Please explain your logic here instead of your wit.

My argument must have you on the ropes if your resorting to nitpicking instead of giving all of us book quotes to back up your argument.
Though it is nice to see you giving more than 6 word statements!! Thanks Doomy!! :ok: Now if only you could get your information right!! :lol:

Face it you have nothing that can defeat the above argument.
The spells were all put into the new book with ample time for a revision. There is none.
This teleport spell works through vehicles since it's not listed as something it can't get through. Power armor is listed which as I've already said doesn't affect spells being cast on the occupant.
The Power armor and bots is an exception specifically for this spell. It would not be needed if it also affected a regular teleport.

Game over.
I sank your battleship.

Doom officially declares this topic over since Temporalmage's example of Swap Enemy has clarified everything.
-George Orwell
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Temporalmage wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:How about:
Can teleport into robots or giant vehicles:
-The very nature of the spell to bypass physical objects.

The "very nature" of the teleport spells is NOT to bypass physical objects, it's simply to transport someone from one place to another. It "bypass's" distance. If you teleport across an empty field your "bypassing" nothing physical except the distance across the field.

How does "bypassing distance" not also bypass objects?

You still have not come up with any strong in-game reason for why magic can't penetrate robots. The real reason is obvious; ...SNIP.

I've said it a dozen times, and will say it again. My argument against teleporting into robots is strictly from a rules perspective. From that standpoint I don't need a "in-game reason for why magic can't penetrate robots." My answer is simply because the rules don't allow it. And I've backed up my argument with quotes to prove that the rules dont' allow it. If this topic asked for an opinion, or how everyone else does it in thier game my answer would be totally differant. Instead the question was posed as a rules question, and so must be given a rules answer. Somthing that no one who believes teleporting into robots is possible can provide. Because the rules don't allow it.[/quote]

I'll just ask your opinion, then.
So you think that the rule makes any sense at all?

Back to teleportation...
1. Teleportation can take you any place that the caster knows of or has seen.
2. There are NO mentions of any restrictions on the spell other than distance and familiarity, not in the spell description and not elsewhere. The closest thing to a restriction is the idea that you can't teleport past forcefields, and I don't know if that's actually been in a book or if it just came up in the FAQ online.

Except for three differant places that say magic can't pass through robots or giant vehicles that is. :frust: [/quote]

Right, but that's what we're debating; whether or not the generic rules of magic actually have any effect on the Teleport spells.
So going back to quoting those same rules that we all already know isn't doing anybody any good.

Convince me that those rules should logically be applied to the Teleport spells and you'll win.
Keep quoting those rules like a broken record and I'll win (if only in the sense that upping my post count is a Win in my race against Rayven...)

3. Any of the reasons come up with so far as to why magic cannot penetrate the skin of a vehicle would NOT just apply to vehicle; they'd apply to buildings as well.

Not according to the books. No mention of buildings is made or even hinted at. Any correlation between the two is hypothosis and assumption.[/quote]

Exactly.
So by your personal interpretation of the rules, then things work like this:
-You can teleport into a cardboard box.
-You cannot teleport into that same cardboard box once it has wheels attached to it.

That pretty much sum up your position?
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

I can't quote rules or logic - just a definition:

www.dictionary.com:
'Magic'

Performed by, or proceeding from, occult and superhuman agencies; done by, or seemingly done by, enchantment or sorcery. Hence: Seemingly requiring more than human power; imposing or startling in performance; producing effects which seem supernatural or very extraordinary; having extraordinary properties; as, a magic lantern; a magic square or circle.

I think the drama and magical quality of the game often gets diluted by needless quibbling over minor points of syntax in the game rules. I try to keep my game true to the flavour of the RIFTS setting - the drama comes first - If it's appropriate, let them teleport into vehicles, if it becomes abused, punish them... dramatically.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Shaka wrote:I can't quote rules or logic - just a definition:

www.dictionary.com:
'Magic'

Performed by, or proceeding from, occult and superhuman agencies; done by, or seemingly done by, enchantment or sorcery. Hence: Seemingly requiring more than human power; imposing or startling in performance; producing effects which seem supernatural or very extraordinary; having extraordinary properties; as, a magic lantern; a magic square or circle.

I think the drama and magical quality of the game often gets diluted by needless quibbling over minor points of syntax in the game rules. I try to keep my game true to the flavour of the RIFTS setting - the drama comes first - If it's appropriate, let them teleport into vehicles, if it becomes abused, punish them... dramatically.

Damn I'm almost afraid to say best answer yet since the mods might close the tread.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn I'm almost afraid to say best answer yet since the mods might close the tread.

Doom already declared this topic closed.
-George Orwell
Temporalmage
Hero

Tyciol wrote:As far as I see it, the magic sends them, and it's the person's body appearing that moves everything out of the way.

There is no "Move everything out of the way". If something is in the way of someone teleporting they merge with the object and die.
Temporalmage
Hero

DOOM

Just to get your attention Doom. I must apologize. I am just now looking up the spell I had quoted previously, swap places, and imagine my surprise when I realized that in both the BOM and the Fed of magic there is no mention anyplace in that spell of it working through power armor, robots, or anything else. :eek: I am sorry, but I could swear that there was a type of teleport spell that specifically mentioned what it could or could not pass through. Swap places is not what I thought. I'm actually a bit embarassed here, and a little surprised that you yourself didn't catch that faux pas and rub it in my face. :oops: Unfortunatly that places our argument back to where it was a few pages ago.

Killer Cyborg wrote:I'll just ask your opinion, then.

Since you've asked for my opinion I'll give it to you. Depends on the situation. I've said once or twice on this topic that I personally have allowed players in my games to teleport into robots, vehicles, etc. As long as it's one of thier own that they've had for a while. I would never allow someone to teleport a fusion block into a robot, or power armor to make an easy kill though. Nor would I allow players to abuse teleportation, or any spell for that matter. As for the rule I've quoted I've used it a few times, such as when characters wish to cast "fear" on robot pilots they can see. Just as an example that came up last weekend. If I as a GM puts the party against an enemy such as a robot or giant vehicle, I expect the party to combat it with conventional spell casting, or unconventional thinking. Not by trying the easy way out by teleporting in and slicing the pilots throat, or using teleporting grenades/fusion blocks. That kind or roleplaying would have serious concequences in any gaming world. And my players know that. I always remind them that whatever they can do, the NPC's can do also. How many times could a player do the things I've listed above before the enemy did the same to them. And how messed up would that be to look the player in the eye and say, "sorry, the fuision block timer is at 2 seconds when in 'pops' into your lap. Your dead."

I have argued this topic for this long for two reasons. The first is how the rules read, and the inclusion of "all magic". But you've all heard that part of my argument many times and I'll not bore you with it again. But the second reason is this: If you/we/me as GM's or players, allow an opening in those rules that say "no magic" by allowing teleport to work. How would you justify a spell that common sense dictated couldn't work, but didn't specifically say wouldnt'. Do ya understand? There must be a line drawn in the sand somewhere that say's "this will work but this won't". And I believe that line is the rule I've quoted so often. Unless a spell specifically negates that rule then it shouldn't work through robots or giant vehicles. Though each GM can interpret what makes a vehicle a giant in his own fasion.
Temporalmage
Hero

Dr. Doom III wrote:Doom already declared this topic closed.

Your out of order Dr. Doom III. If you continue in this fasion I'll be forced to hold you in contempt of court. :lol: :P
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Temporalmage wrote:DOOM

Just to get your attention Doom. I must apologize. I am just now looking up the spell I had quoted previously, swap places, and imagine my surprise when I realized that in both the BOM and the Fed of magic there is no mention anyplace in that spell of it working through power armor, robots, or anything else. :eek: I am sorry, but I could swear that there was a type of teleport spell that specifically mentioned what it could or could not pass through. Swap places is not what I thought. I'm actually a bit embarassed here, and a little surprised that you yourself didn't catch that faux pas and rub it in my face. :oops: Unfortunatly that places our argument back to where it was a few pages ago.

So it has no issues with bots or vehicles either.
-George Orwell
Temporalmage
Hero

Dr. Doom III wrote:So it has no issues with bots or vehicles either.

What doesn't? The spell teleport? Sure it does. When the spell specifically states "target destination", and range of 300 miles per level, it's very clear that the magic must be present at the end of a teleport. Hence the rest of my argument.

You obviously don't agree with that. But you obviously don't have any book info to further your argument either do you? Basicly your argument boils down to the following: "Doom say's it will work, so it must work!" How magnanomous of you. :nh:

I've asked this question before and will ask again: Has anyone written in to Palladium for a concrete answer to this topic?? I'd be very interested in learning what the Gods of Palladium had to say. Though THIS is also a hot topic for Doom as it seems he has a low opinion of those that answer the FAQ's.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Temporalmage wrote:

Since you've asked for my opinion I'll give it to you. Depends on the situation. I've said once or twice on this topic that I personally have allowed players in my games to teleport into robots, vehicles, etc. As long as it's one of thier own that they've had for a while. I would never allow someone to teleport a fusion block into a robot, or power armor to make an easy kill though. Nor would I allow players to abuse teleportation, or any spell for that matter.

I would definitely allow somebody to teleport a fusion block into a robot or power armor for an easy kill.
If they could pull it off, which is unlikely.

For one thing, right off the bat, even if they are 100% familiar with the place that they are trying to send the fusion block, there's still a chance that it won't work. Not a big chance (20% failure initially), but still a chance. If the teleportation fails, then the object being teleported could be anywhere within the range of the spell (5 miles per level). It could be just outside the vehicle, it could appear in a crowded bar a mile away, it could harmlessly explode 3 mile up in the sky, or it could appear in the caster's backpack.

For another thing, how are they going to consider the cockpit of an enemy vehicle to be a "known" location? The only way I'd allow it is if they had actually been inside that particular vehicle before (never steal a mage's car, BTW). If the caster has line of sight into the vehicle's cockpit, then he could count the location as "known" (he's looking right at it), but most combat vehicles in my game have tinted windows (Certainly all CS vehicles do). Meanwhile, while he's trying to peep in the window and spending 7.5 seconds trying to get line of sight, the vehicle gets to SHOOT HIM. This is likely to disrupt his concentration. If he's trying to see into a robot vehicle, he is likely to be shot at least 3 times before he gets the spell off (which he probably won't, since he'd getting shot).

I'll list off a few more things:
-The damage on a basic fusion block is 1d4x10. That's not going to bust most armor anyway. It may kill the GB Pilot suit (50% chance), but since you can't see into the armor anyway it doesn't really matter. The mid-grade fusion block does 2d6x10 MD, which will destroy most armor from the main book rather easily, but Heavy Deadboy might well survive and the newer CS armor would be tough to kill this way. The Heavy fusion block does 4d6x10 MD, which will toast pretty much any body armor, but as I said; good luck teleporting it inside. Besides, they cost 8000 CR a pop. Where I come from, that's money that the PCs probably don't want to waste unless they have to. Oh, and they could always use multiple Fusion Blocks, but if they're going to do that then they could likely blow up the armor from the outside anyway, so the teleporation is a moot point.
-As for teleporting yourself inside a vehicle, again I say "Good Luck". As with Teleport: Lesser, you have to know where you're going. Well, you could try to teleport into a vehicle based on limited knowledge (A brief description), but that's a 20% chance of success. I'm not woried.

Really, what you should be truly worried about is something that your much-quoted passage makes worse rather than better.
A suit of Glitterboy Armor weighs 1.2 tons, approximately 2400 lbs if my math is right. A mage can teleport himself and 1000 lbs per level using Teleport: Superior.
So if he's within 20' of the Glitterboy and manages to teleport away, he can take the GB armor with him! Same with any other vehicle, bot, or PA that is within his weight limit.
You're probably thinking "But the pilots would just go along with the armor.... The mage would get killed."
Nope.
As you like to point out, magic cannot penetrate vehicles. The spell would only be able to target the vehicle, not the pilots.
As you like to point out.

As for the rule I've quoted I've used it a few times, such as when characters wish to cast "fear" on robot pilots they can see. Just as an example that came up last weekend. If I as a GM puts the party against an enemy such as a robot or giant vehicle, I expect the party to combat it with conventional spell casting, or unconventional thinking. Not by trying the easy way out by teleporting in and slicing the pilots throat, or using teleporting grenades/fusion blocks. That kind or roleplaying would have serious concequences in any gaming world. And my players know that. I always remind them that whatever they can do, the NPC's can do also. How many times could a player do the things I've listed above before the enemy did the same to them. And how messed up would that be to look the player in the eye and say, "sorry, the fuision block timer is at 2 seconds when in 'pops' into your lap. Your dead."

Turnabout is fair play.
I've got nothing against turning the PCs tricks against them.
That's the thing about being a GM; if they want to play with cheap and easy kills, then I can play that way too. And they're more invested in their characters than I am in my NPCs.

I have argued this topic for this long for two reasons. The first is how the rules read, and the inclusion of "all magic". But you've all heard that part of my argument many times and I'll not bore you with it again. But the second reason is this: If you/we/me as GM's or players, allow an opening in those rules that say "no magic" by allowing teleport to work. How would you justify a spell that common sense dictated couldn't work, but didn't specifically say wouldnt'. Do ya understand? There must be a line drawn in the sand somewhere that say's "this will work but this won't". And I believe that line is the rule I've quoted so often. Unless a spell specifically negates that rule then it shouldn't work through robots or giant vehicles. Though each GM can interpret what makes a vehicle a giant in his own fasion.

I've already listed a bunch of reasons why teleporting into enemy vehicles wouldn't work. Between that and the fact that most spells already say that they can't penetrate vehicles, there is no need for the specific rule that magic can't penentrate vehicles.
Especially since one of Palladium's biggest problems is that they keep introducing poorly thought-out rules into a once great game.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Temporalmage wrote:My argument has just as much validity as Dooms argument of "anywhere".

Completely agreed. As I've said several times, you're both wrong.

PigLick
Dr. Doom III
Knight

PigLickJF wrote:Completely agreed. As I've said several times, you're both wrong.

PigLick

Imposable.
You either can or you can't. There is no middle ground.
And you can.
-George Orwell
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Tyciol wrote:Piglick, 'magic is magical and only works when the GM feels it's good for the story', while a lovely ideal, isn't good for debating rules, so take it elsewhere.

True, but debating rules that don't exist, whether intentionally or due to bad writing/editing, seems just as pointless. I think 50+ pages of this thread proves that nicely.

If we want to move this into a discussion about how/why we feel teleportation works and justifying our positions on the topic, that's fine. But the incessant back-and-forth about what the "real" rule is seems pointless, because there doesn't appear to *be* a "real" rule.

PigLick
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Dr. Doom III wrote:
PigLickJF wrote:Completely agreed. As I've said several times, you're both wrong.

PigLick

Imposable.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean the rules spell out which is correct. You can't make a systgem with rules for every single potential eventuality, so some things are necessarily left open to GM interpretation, such as in this case.

PigLick
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

PigLickJF wrote:
Dr. Doom III wrote:

PigLick

Imposable.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean the rules spell out which is correct. You can't make a systgem with rules for every single potential eventuality, so some things are necessarily left open to GM interpretation, such as in this case.

PigLick

Actually, the rules do spell it out in the RMB... you can.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Dr. Doom III wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn I'm almost afraid to say best answer yet since the mods might close the tread.

Doom already declared this topic closed.

Dang I thought Doom was just declairing his mind closed! :lol: :-P
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Temporalmage wrote:DOOM

Since you've asked for my opinion I'll give it to you. Depends on the situation. I've said once or twice on this topic that I personally have allowed players in my games to teleport into robots, vehicles, etc. As long as it's one of thier own that they've had for a while. I would never allow someone to teleport a fusion block into a robot, or power armor to make an easy kill though. Nor would I allow players to abuse teleportation, or any spell for that matter. As for the rule I've quoted I've used it a few times, such as when characters wish to cast "fear" on robot pilots they can see. Just as an example that came up last weekend. If I as a GM puts the party against an enemy such as a robot or giant vehicle, I expect the party to combat it with conventional spell casting, or unconventional thinking. Not by trying the easy way out by teleporting in and slicing the pilots throat, or using teleporting grenades/fusion blocks. That kind or roleplaying would have serious concequences in any gaming world. And my players know that. I always remind them that whatever they can do, the NPC's can do also. How many times could a player do the things I've listed above before the enemy did the same to them. And how messed up would that be to look the player in the eye and say, "sorry, the fuision block timer is at 2 seconds when in 'pops' into your lap. Your dead."

I understand the rules saying it won't work. How does common sense say that a magical power that bends reality won't work?

Besides if I really want to get to someone inside a giant robot or power armor that is what phase powers are for. Or are you of the opinion that phase spells also can't pass through armor unless the spell directly says so? There is also a weapon in Mechanoids (old game) that fires intangible rings that pass through anything. Each of the rings shrink while they travel coming to a point at the max range where the ring explodes. As the book states those who become proficient with the weapon can make it explode inside armor (very effective against the armored mechanoids.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Temporalmage wrote:
Dr. Doom III wrote:Doom already declared this topic closed.

Your out of order Dr. Doom III. If you continue in this fasion I'll be forced to hold you in contempt of court. :lol: :P

You go Judge Judy... :lol:
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Vrykolas2k wrote:Actually, the rules do spell it out in the RMB... you can.

True enough, if only the RMB is being considered. In this case, it isn't.

PigLick
Vrykolas2k
Champion

PigLickJF wrote:

PigLick

That's probably why the thread has continued on for 52 pages... my kids will grow up watching this thing lol {and my wife and I don't have any yet}.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Dr. Doom III
Knight

PigLickJF wrote:

PigLick

True except for the fact that the rule Temporalmage is constantly quoting says that it can because teleport does not fit what is being forbiden by said rule.
-George Orwell
Vrykolas2k
Champion

Dr. Doom III wrote:
PigLickJF wrote:

PigLick

True except for the fact that the rule Temporalmage is constantly quoting says that it can because teleport does not fit what is being forbiden by said rule.

:nh: If only people could just step back and say, "Wow, it's crazy how long we've been arguing about something that your mage character is supposed to be allowed to do".

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Tyciol wrote:Temporal Mage, you are making assumptions about the way teleport works. While a mage can teleport into an object, this only happens when his exact point of teleportation (and it is a specific POINT) is occupying that of an object.

You assume that every part of them occupies every part of the space they will at the end of the spell, in an instant. We don't know this, we don't know how it works.

We say that the mage appears, and since the spell says nothing about moving things like air out of the way, we must assume it is the mage's physically being there that does it. This means that the way he enters it does so in a way that would remove the air and dust particles without any damage to him. Any way will work, as long as it makes sense.

Perhaps he, as I priorly suggested jestfully, teleports in at a subatomic size, and in an unmeasurable amount of time, grows to his normal stature.

Perhaps he enters two dimensionally, and then expands to fill his third dimension, pushing the space out, in an instant.

Perhaps he is spit out of the tear in space that results when he reaches his destination, except that the way it spits him out provides no momentum, instead it instantly drops back.

In any case, it's the mage being moved by the spell, and the mage moving the things in the new location. Even if the spell were moving the air, it would be doing it after the fact that the mage was at his location, so there would be no environmental rule buffers to get in the way.

Weren't you one of the ones against the belted @ss death? If there is a specific point that you are teleporting to and it is currently occupied by a single monofilament thread hanging from the ceiling and you and it meld then according to the rules if you teleport into ANYTHING you die. So in this case it would be death by string. Or if it is a location you haven't visited in awhile death by cobwebs. Or if someone was sitting where you teleport death by homoginization. So if someone built a above ground pool there would it be Dihydrogenoxideinization? Or if there is also a triggerfish, native to the outer reefs of Hawaii having a broad black band on the side and a black triangle at the beginning of the tail, that is also occuping the pool would it be Humuhumunukunukuapuaadihydrogenoxideinization.
Shiva7
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shiva7 »

There are way to many posts to read, so I am just going to add my opinion to the thread...

Teleport: Lesser - This spell can penetrate environmentally sealed vehicles, but I believe there should be a limit as to the minimum size of the target location and whether it is in motion or not.

The target location must be of a reasonable size, such as a medium to large storage area in a vehicle. For example: The UAR-1 only has a small storage area behind the seat, and it it mostlikely going to be full, so it would be unsuitable as a target location, as would the cockpit in general considering the amount of obstructions such as controls, seats, monitors, etc.

The Spider-Skull Walker would be a suitable vehicle to teleport objects into, but only if the mage is familiar with the interior and if he chooses either the passenger seating area or the storage locker (which would have to be fairly empty).

The DHT would be an easy target to teleport objects into, but of course the mage still must be familiar with the interior and choose a suitable location.

In all instances, these vehicles must be stationary to do so, unless the mage is inside one of these vehicles. I believe this is a reasonable restriction. Consider this... If a mage were to teleport an object into his bedroom in the town a couple of miles away, he knows the room well, he knows the house well, he knows the town fairly well, and he knows the general location of the town. It would be pretty easy for him to visualize the location and direction, etc. but a moving object has no set location, thus the only knowledge the mage would have would be of the specific target location with no frame of reference.

Teleport: Superior - This spell would have the same restrictions, but the target location would have to be even larger, so the Spider-Skull Walker would no longer be suitable for anything over one person, but the DHT would be reasonable.
ImageImage
"My saddle-horse has died!"
Temporalmage
Hero

Killer Cyborg wrote:Really, what you should be truly worried about is something that your much-quoted passage makes worse rather than better.
A suit of Glitterboy Armor weighs 1.2 tons, approximately 2400 lbs if my math is right. A mage can teleport himself and 1000 lbs per level using Teleport: Superior.
So if he's within 20' of the Glitterboy and manages to teleport away, he can take the GB armor with him! Same with any other vehicle, bot, or PA that is within his weight limit.
You're probably thinking "But the pilots would just go along with the armor.... The mage would get killed."
Nope.
As you like to point out, magic cannot penetrate vehicles. The spell would only be able to target the vehicle, not the pilots.
As you like to point out.

Interesting idea. Lets examine it a moment shall we? If a teleport spell was cast on a robot, (Which the Glitter Boy is not by the way) and the robot was within the weight limit of the mage, would the pilot be magically left behind? When the magic in question was aimed at the robot itself? No. This is once again covered by the section I've quoted time and again. The magic would only effect the robot itself, and not the occupants. So the robot would be teleported away while the occupants would still be safe inside.

I've already listed a bunch of reasons why teleporting into enemy vehicles wouldn't work. Between that and the fact that most spells already say that they can't penetrate vehicles, there is no need for the specific rule that magic can't penentrate vehicles.

I believe that most spells don't say anything about what they can or cannot penetrate. If memory serves the ones that mention anything about it are the few that can.
Especially since one of Palladium's biggest problems is that they keep introducing poorly thought-out rules into a once great game.

On this I can both agree and disagree. It's sad that the makers of the game feel the need to botch things up with such rules as the -10 to dodge. Yet leave other areas totally devoid of any rules or guidlines that make peaple go "huh?". Oh well, you can't have it all I geuss.
Temporalmage
Hero

Zer0 Kay wrote:I understand the rules saying it won't work. How does common sense say that a magical power that bends reality won't work?

Unfortunatly common sense and rules often do not go hand in hand. That and what is obvious to one person isn't obvious to another. Hence the length of this debate.

Besides if I really want to get to someone inside a giant robot or power armor that is what phase powers are for. Or are you of the opinion that phase spells also can't pass through armor unless the spell directly says so?

I beleive certain spells would work to get into a robot or giant vehicle dispite the rule I've quoted. Such spells as 4D transformation, D-phase, escape to unlock the door. As for Phase powers I believe they are psionic in nature aren't they? If so they are outside of the rule I've quoted as that rule specifically states magic.
There is also a weapon in Mechanoids (old game) that fires intangible rings that pass through anything. Each of the rings shrink while they travel coming to a point at the max range where the ring explodes. As the book states those who become proficient with the weapon can make it explode inside armor (very effective against the armored mechanoids.

I've never heard of this before so have no opinion at this time. If they are technological then once again it would have nothing to do with the rules in the BOM.
Temporalmage
Hero

Dr. Doom III wrote:
PigLickJF wrote:

PigLick

Only if suddenly teleport stops being magical in nature. Since teleport is magical then it fits quite nicely. "If the spell fits, then Doom must quit!" :lol:
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Temporalmage wrote:Interesting idea. Lets examine it a moment shall we? If a teleport spell was cast on a robot, (Which the Glitter Boy is not by the way) and the robot was within the weight limit of the mage, would the pilot be magically left behind? When the magic in question was aimed at the robot itself? No. This is once again covered by the section I've quoted time and again. The magic would only effect the robot itself, and not the occupants. So the robot would be teleported away while the occupants would still be safe inside.

Make up your mind.
Magic can penetrate or it can't
By the version of the rule you have been quoting for over a month you would teleport it and everything on the inside would fall to the ground.

Face it you argument is breaking down more and more each day. It seems the only thing propping it up is your inability to accept the truth.
-George Orwell
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Temporalmage wrote:Only if suddenly teleport stops being magical in nature. Since teleport is magical then it fits quite nicely. "If the spell fits, then Doom must quit!" :lol:

Actually if teleport starts targeting things inside the robot or vehicle.
The spell doesn't fit.
-George Orwell

Return to “Rifts®”