Tattoo weapon questions

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Tattoo weapon questions

Unread post by (SHIFTY) »

I know you can not make duplicates of the same tattoo but With magic tattoo weapons and simple weapons tattoos can you make weapons of the same kind but just different type?

For instance you can have flamming broad sword and a flaming longsword and flaming claymore etc
Lagos
D-Bee

Unread post by Lagos »

I've always allowed that because different styled swords do different damages that and sometimes it's more effective to be weilding a giant flaming Claymore than it is to have a short sword.. But thats just my house rules.
LunarYoma
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by LunarYoma »

you can create weapons of the same class(for ex 2 long swords), but the tattoos themselves cannot look alike themselves.
Lunaryoma
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Re: Tattoo weapon questions

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

(SHIFTY) wrote:I know you can not make duplicates of the same tattoo but With magic tattoo weapons and simple weapons tattoos can you make weapons of the same kind but just different type?

For instance you can have flamming broad sword and a flaming longsword and flaming claymore etc

No.
A sword is a sword.
A knife is a knife.

A large sword and a small sword would be acceptable.
Pg. 243 Rifts main book. Look at "type".
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Dr. Doom III
Knight

VvMagnusvV wrote:Doom how can you say such a thing "A sword is a sword and a knife is a knfie". There is so many things wrong with that its hard to start. First off, between swords you may wish to switch based on weight or reach of the sword, or maybe based on their armour. A small rapier style or katana style is much better suited to find the hole in a piece of armour while a large bastard sword is perfect for hewing through... well flesh or overpowering a opponents slimmer weaker blade. Different situations call for a different approach. Its like saying a hammer and a mallet and a sledge are all the same, when they are not.

I can say that because that is how the types of melee weapons are split up in Palladium games.
Axes, Pole Arms, Spears, Short Swords, Large Swords, Ball and Chain, Blunt and Staves.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

Dr. Doom III wrote:
(SHIFTY) wrote:I know you can not make duplicates of the same tattoo but With magic tattoo weapons and simple weapons tattoos can you make weapons of the same kind but just different type?

No.
A sword is a sword.
A knife is a knife.

A large sword and a small sword would be acceptable.
Pg. 243 Rifts main book. Look at "type".

thats no good, i cant have a Bowie, Katar, Dirk, Dagger, Throwing knife, Long Dagger, Knife and Shiv Tattoo?
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
ApocalypseZero
Adventurer
Comment: Also known as: Lonnie Langston

Unread post by ApocalypseZero »

I guess the best way to approach this is one of three ways.

1) View by Weapon Profeciency. So, only 1 WP: Sword, WP: Blunt, etc. Not my choice, but a logical look at it....or....
2) By Weapon Name. Use the large chart of weapons that is in the back of the Rifts Book, HU Book, for PFRPG. That same Ancient Weapon chart reprinted in all the books. So, 1 Flamberge, 1 Bastard Sword, etc....or...
3) By Varing Tattoo art. So one could have 3 Flamberge tattoos, all looking different.

For me, I use 2 since 3 is a little harder to represent since not many will draw a picture of all their characters and/or tattoos. I think that 2 is also the wish of Palladium for their rules.
Only Time Will Tell, Unfortunately The Bastard Never Speaks.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Mike SSN-723 wrote: :| doom is everything alright? I mean lately your advice has been these short little almost spiteful response's like this... I mean come on now that response is just not right. Where here to discuss this and come to the best solution for questions that people ask out here. How would you like to have someone respond like this to a post you submitted?
In response to this thread, i would say yes since each sword is different and has its own styles and "+'s and -'s"

That's my shtick. Always has been.
Short, sweet and to the point.
A cursory examination of NPC Tattooed men backs up my assertion. (Rifts England and Pantheons of the Megaverse)
If you or anyone else has any evidence of another interpretation I welcome it. I always do. Then the fun starts. :)

Were I to ask a question I would want someone who knew the answer to say what it is without extraneous information.
Last edited by Dr. Doom III on Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
-George Orwell
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Sure you can, but unless you intend to arm a group, I'm not quite sure what the use of having many similar weapons available, especially when, if your weapon is stolen, you can just will it out of existence and activate it again on your next action
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Svartalf
Champion

Dr. Doom III wrote:I can say that because that is how the types of melee weapons are split up in Palladium games.
Axes, Pole Arms, Spears, Short Swords, Large Swords, Ball and Chain, Blunt and Staves.

so you'd forbid sporting both a warhammer and a hercules' club on grounds both are blunt weapons?
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Svartalf wrote:so you'd forbid sporting both a warhammer and a hercules' club on grounds both are blunt weapons?

No.
The Rules would forbid it.
Unless you can find some NPC that can do it. I haven't checked Rifts: Mercenaries yet.
-George Orwell
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Dr. Doom III wrote:
VvMagnusvV wrote:Doom how can you say such a thing "A sword is a sword and a knife is a knfie". There is so many things wrong with that its hard to start. First off, between swords you may wish to switch based on weight or reach of the sword, or maybe based on their armour. A small rapier style or katana style is much better suited to find the hole in a piece of armour while a large bastard sword is perfect for hewing through... well flesh or overpowering a opponents slimmer weaker blade. Different situations call for a different approach. Its like saying a hammer and a mallet and a sledge are all the same, when they are not.

I can say that because that is how the types of melee weapons are split up in Palladium games.
Axes, Pole Arms, Spears, Short Swords, Large Swords, Ball and Chain,
Blunt and Staves.

DOOM,

How do you figure the damage for these weapons? Diffrent types of weapons do diffrent damage.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Dr. Doom III wrote:
Svartalf wrote:so you'd forbid sporting both a warhammer and a hercules' club on grounds both are blunt weapons?

No.
Unless you can find some NPC that can do it. I haven't checked Rifts: Mercenaries yet.

Funny...I read the rules as to indicate the same type of weapon. While they are both blunt, a war hammer and a herc club are NOT the same type of weapon...one is actually a polearm (the warhammer), and the other is a damn good imitation of a effectively weildable tree-trunk! :D

Ciao
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

(SHIFTY) wrote:DOOM,

How do you figure the damage for these weapons? Diffrent types of weapons do diffrent damage.

From the individual weapon the tattoo was made of.
One type of large sword that looks like a Broad Sword would do damage as a Broad Sword but if it looked like a Katana it would do damage as a Katana.
-George Orwell
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

What about simple weapons? Can you have one that is a broadsword and one that is a Longsword and one that is a Claymore?
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Could you have a flaming broadsword and a longsword covered in flames and with a coiled serpent?
LunarYoma
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by LunarYoma »

LunarYoma wrote:you can create weapons of the same class(for ex 2 long swords), but the tattoos themselves cannot look alike themselves.

my answer here covers what ye are looking for.
Lunaryoma
Dr. Doom III
Knight

(SHIFTY) wrote:Could you have a flaming broadsword and a longsword covered in flames and with a coiled serpent?

Yes.
But you could only create the flaming sword. Coiled serpent is an effect.
They can be individual tattoos or combined. It's the T-man's choice.
-George Orwell
Dr. Doom III
Knight

MCP wrote:
(SHIFTY) wrote:What about simple weapons? Can you have one that is a broadsword and one that is a Longsword and one that is a Claymore?

The same rules apply for both simple and magic weapons. So, no, you could have only one simple version of either a broadsword, or a longsword, or a claymore.

The same rules apply for both simple and magic weapons. So, no, you could have only one simple version of a large sword.
-George Orwell
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Actually, if you want to do the extra daamge to the scaley crowd, the coiled snake has to be part of the tattoo...

As for can you have a (simple weapon) Longsword AND a (Magic Weapon) Flaming Longsword, AND a (Magic Weapon) Flaming Longsword with coiled snake (and if you were particularily stupidly assinine...any and all of the above with wings), then yes, you can have three (or more... :nh:) longsword tats.

HOWEVER, if you want two (simple weapon) longsword tattoos so you can go ginsu on someone...NO.

Black letter..."No identical tattoos or powers" (ie: no double-up)

But, if you want to do a Katana and Wakizashi, then go for it, despite the fact they are both swords, just remember you have to do it in two tats! ;)
Fnord

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Svartalf
Champion

Dr. Doom III wrote:

No.

the rules forbid two identical tattoos.

the weapons I suggested are quite different, if both blun.
Svartalf
Champion

(SHIFTY) wrote:Could you have a flaming broadsword and a longsword covered in flames and with a coiled serpent?

I'd say yes, the coiled snake is in and of itself a sufficient element of difference
Dr. Doom III
Knight

A weapon with a coiled snake is a different power from creating a weapon.
All it does is give it's bonus to the type of weapon it is wrapped around. Be it a tattoo weapon or otherwise.

For example if you have a broad sword wrapped in a coiled serpent tattoo then you get the bonus with all large swords. Your tattoo Flaming Katana or the Long sword you just picked up.

It will not create a weapon unless it is combined with a flaming weapon tattoo and if it it then it counts as the one tattoo of that type of weapon.
-George Orwell
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Svartalf wrote:the rules forbid two identical tattoos.

the weapons I suggested are quite different, if both blun.

Show me an example of an NPC that has two Large Sword tattoos or any type of weapon for that matter.
-George Orwell
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Sir gallahad has a two broadsword tattoos. I just looked in england.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

(SHIFTY) wrote:Sir gallahad has a two broadsword tattoos. I just looked in england.

One is a simple weapon and one is magic. That is allowed.
-George Orwell
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Dr. Doom III wrote:A weapon with a coiled snake is a different power from creating a weapon.
All it does is give it's bonus to the type of weapon it is wrapped around. Be it a tattoo weapon or otherwise.

For example if you have a broad sword wrapped in a coiled serpent tattoo then you get the bonus with all large swords. Your tattoo Flaming Katana or the Long sword you just picked up.

It will not create a weapon unless it is combined with a flaming weapon tattoo and if it it then it counts as the one tattoo of that type of weapon.

Actually, it has to be combined with another tat, and ONLY affects that particular tat. It does not give all your weapons the ability to do extra damage to the scaley folk, just the particular one it is paired with, which is why it has the various PPE costs listed.

Additionally, with I believe the exception of the two crossed <Weapons> tat, there are none that directly impact the effectiveness or potential damage of a REAL weapon. So, if you have a sword tat (flaming/snakes) active and pick-up a normal SDC sword, the tat sword will do the 3x damage, but the SDC sword will do NO damage (nor is the goose-egg multiplied by 3).
Fnord

Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Dr. Doom III wrote:A weapon with a coiled snake is a different power from creating a weapon.

Actually, it has to be combined with another tat, and ONLY affects that particular tat. It does not give all your weapons the ability to do extra damage to the scaley folk, just the particular one it is paired with, which is why it has the various PPE costs listed.

Additionally, with I believe the exception of the two crossed <Weapons> tat, there are none that directly impact the effectiveness or potential damage of a REAL weapon. So, if you have a sword tat (flaming/snakes) active and pick-up a normal SDC sword, the tat sword will do the 3x damage, but the SDC sword will do NO damage (nor is the goose-egg multiplied by 3). :D
Fnord

Dr. Doom III
Knight

Borast wrote:Actually, it has to be combined with another tat, and ONLY affects that particular tat. It does not give all your weapons the ability to do extra damage to the scaley folk, just the particular one it is paired with, which is why it has the various PPE costs listed.

Additionally, with I believe the exception of the two crossed <Weapons> tat, there are none that directly impact the effectiveness or potential damage of a REAL weapon. So, if you have a sword tat (flaming/snakes) active and pick-up a normal SDC sword, the tat sword will do the 3x damage, but the SDC sword will do NO damage (nor is the goose-egg multiplied by 3).

Sorry confused those powers with crossed weapons.
Oh and the only one with various PPE costs is wings.
Regardless they don't count as identical tattoos and don't actually create a weapon unless combined with a simple weapon, dripping blood or flaming weapon.
-George Orwell
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

One more question.

I gave my character Four Arrows with Wings (Magic Weapon) and a Bow and Arrow (Simple Weapon). Is this legal or am I going against the rules?
Dr. Doom III
Knight

(SHIFTY) wrote:One more question.

I gave my character Four Arrows with Wings (Magic Weapon) and a Bow and Arrow (Simple Weapon). Is this legal or am I going against the rules?

Legal.
Well if it's a simple weapon bow it is.
-George Orwell
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Dr. Doom III wrote:
(SHIFTY) wrote:One more question.

Legal.
Well if it's a simple weapon bow it is.

So the Simple Weapon Bow and Arrow can not be a Bow and Arrow it has to just be a Bow?
Dr. Doom III
Knight

(SHIFTY) wrote:So the Simple Weapon Bow and Arrow can not be a Bow and Arrow it has to just be a Bow?

A bow is one thing and and arrows are another.
That would be two tattoos.
-George Orwell

Return to “Rifts®”