NEW POWERS!

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

ZEN wrote:I think spirit was trying to be funny..

Anyways.. what makes this power different from Flight: Hover or Sliding?
What if the character had the ability to create a slight force field that was only very handy for repelling large masses, such as the wall, floor, etc..
So the character may be able to slide, bounce and hover quite well, without much control.

Oh man.. that sounds so much like a certain marvel character.. :-?

8-)

Forgot about Flight: Hover. But, while similar there are a few differences. Flight:Hover has a max speed, while the Floating power is only limited by your own phsyical running speed. So, a person with the power and Sonic Speed can still hover and move at their normal speed. I wasn't too sure what to do for bonuses, so I didn't put any in. I almost considered putting in another ability to the power, the ability to make kick attacks that do whatever the normal damage of the character is, but do not make physical contact with the target. So, you could kick someone made out of lava and not take damage.
"Do you even know what the word theory means? You must think it means '**** that you make up'."
---Penn Jillette
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

ZEN wrote:I think spirit was trying to be funny.. 8-)

Yes, well, mostly funny anyway...

...I really don't see what it had to do with kinetic energy anyway.....
Last edited by Sir_Spirit on Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

The_Spirit wrote:

...I really don't see what it had to do with kenetic energy anyway.....

Would telekinetic make more sense? It was a rough draft, so it still needs some work. The kinetic part was put when I was considering putting in the part about kicking, allowing someone to do a kick without physical contact with the target.
"Do you even know what the word theory means? You must think it means '**** that you make up'."
---Penn Jillette
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

MrTwist wrote:
The_Spirit wrote:

...I really don't see what it had to do with kenetic energy anyway.....

Would telekinetic make more sense? It was a rough draft, so it still needs some work. The kinetic part was put when I was considering putting in the part about kicking, allowing someone to do a kick without physical contact with the target.

I suppose.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Marcantony
Adventurer

Unread post by Marcantony »

Doctor Vile wrote:Hi, I found a power a month or so ago on the net and can't remember where I found it, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

The power was called Time Manipulation, it was a major and kinda did what the Time Hole spell does plus a few other things.

Also, what happened to Dan's Heroes Page, it was very cool I thought...thanks.

Ive got Chronokinesis on my site, not sure if thats the one you mean?
My Chronal Walker class also has some cosmic level time manipulation powers.

As for Dan, from what he told me he just hasnt gotten around to it yet. :)
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

I had an idea for a power, just can't seem to find the right wording for it. Go figure. Anyways, I was planning on a major that expands on Untrackable. What I was thinking of was a power that makes it so there is no record of the possessor ever existing, including all hard copy records and digital records. Not only that, but any future records are impossible to create. No signatures last, video tapes and other recordings get scrambled fast, and no evidence left at a crime scene. It doesn't happen immediately, but takes a few days before it fades away. Of course, it's a pain because this person wouldn't be able to make a bank account(it would be gone from records within a few days, along with the money in it), or even get a credit card. But the benefits could be pretty cool.

It's just an idea at this point, and I'm not even sure it's worth making into a power.
---Penn Jillette
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

how's about this one?

kinetic rend(minor)
this character has the ability to extend a sort of kinetic field from his hands and feet that is capable of devastating slashing maneuvres.
1) hand slashes: the character's slash attacks inflict 1d6 per finger used(thumbs don't count) at first level, 2d6 at 7th level, and 3d6 at12th. these clawing attacks do gain the benefit of the character's ps damage bonus, because they work with his momentum to do damage.
2) kick attacks: the character has a similar, yet slightly different energy field for his legs and feet. the leg attacks of the character do an additional 3d6(+1d6 at 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, 10th, 12th, and 14th level) slash damage and can extend past the character's reach by 1 foot per level. this kick damage is not in addition to ps bonuses, because it works independantly of the character's momentum instead of being muscle powered, like the hand slashes do.
3) other abilities and bonuses:
+ 25% to climb because of the character's ability to dig in to a surface when climbing it.
+10% to fine manipulation skills, because the character uses his fingers abundantly instead of his fists and so on.
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Whiz Kid wrote:
ZEN wrote:I think spirit was trying to be funny..

Anyways.. what makes this power different from Flight: Hover or Sliding?
What if the character had the ability to create a slight force field that was only very handy for repelling large masses, such as the wall, floor, etc..
So the character may be able to slide, bounce and hover quite well, without much control.

Oh man.. that sounds so much like a certain marvel character.. :-?

8-)

Um... so then what would the point be of Super-Bounce?

Personally, with all the powers that already exist that could produce similar effects at will (any force field power, Totem Energy Aura, Directed Force, Flight: Hover, Sliding, Create Energy Constructs, etc), I'm not really seeing a need for this power at all.

I mean no offense, it just feels redundant, like Iron Will and Extraordinary ME. I don't think it should be scrapped, it just feel like it needs something more to it, in order to make it a more unique power.

I definitely think you need to lose the 'can't wear normal shoes' thing, though. At third level, when the character can turn off the power at will, they could don, say, heavy combat boots, then by selective activation of the power, have virtually unlimited straight-line flight, as the field continually pushes against something it can't move. Combine it with Space Native, take a trip to Mars.

Of course, technically, I suppose the character would be more likely to injure his feet, but the unlimited straight-line flight sounds like more fun (hey, maybe there's the unique part, eh?).

If you want to discount any power that can be done by using another power for similar results, then quite a few powers should be eliminated. But, there's no power customization rules that I've seen, just our imaginations. These variations on existing powers, which quite a few of them are, are just ways of customizing the powers for our own purposes or a specific end. And, of course, to share them with others and see what they think.

Now, the power itself was a first draft. The basic idea I had behind the power was something that combined a bit of Density Walking with protection for the feet. With Density Walking some of the things you can walk on can be rather dangerous. Acid, lava, and other things will do damage to you. With Flight:Hover, you move at the speed limit of the power itself.

I can throw out the not being able to turn it off clause, and also drop the no tracks part. The main advantage I was going for, now that I have thought on it a bit more, ws the ability to have that little buffer between the foot and whatever it is in contact with. This would allow you to kick an APS: Lava char without taking the 3d6 damage, and also allow you to move across broken glass, caltrops, nails, and various other nasty bits that can cause problems. This really wasn't enough, so I put in the bits of Density Walking to give the power a little more oomph. So, you could run across dangerous, loose, terrains without sinking in or taking serious damage. The little buffer would act as protection for the foot, and maybe even soak up some impact if you can land on your feet from a larger height.

It's an idea I'm still attempting to flesh out into something a little more coherent.
---Penn Jillette
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

I apologize I took things out of context. It was the no need for this power comment that brought about part of that post. It has been argued, at least during my gaming group, that many powers are just bastardizations and variations on already existing powers. By that arguement, they should not exist because of that. It was that mentality that I fell iinto when I started the reply. That first paragraph of my post was poorly thought out. Sorry.

Anyways. I agree with your criticism. It does need some mending to reduce the clone aspects. I was considering extending the generated field to the hands themselves, allowing for punches and parrying of damngerous substances to be done without physical contact.
---Penn Jillette
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

ZEN wrote:Hmmm... I'm starting to see the applications for the Kinetic.. force.. limb field thingie.. such as wedge your hand in the gap, activate the power and force the gap apart with the force field, or hold your hands up to parry an attack.. use the field to absorb the impact of a fall by landing on your feet.. or similar sort of things.
You could use the field to bludgeon targets, like big force boxing gloves.. less than huge damage, but better chance of hitting with the big clown mits.
8-)

yeah, that was more what i was really trying for. more of a minor version of negative matter i guess...
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

brannigan's law wrote:
ZEN wrote:Hmmm... I'm starting to see the applications for the Kinetic.. force.. limb field thingie.. such as wedge your hand in the gap, activate the power and force the gap apart with the force field, or hold your hands up to parry an attack.. use the field to absorb the impact of a fall by landing on your feet.. or similar sort of things.
You could use the field to bludgeon targets, like big force boxing gloves.. less than huge damage, but better chance of hitting with the big clown mits.
8-)

yeah, that was more what i was really trying for. more of a minor version of negative matter i guess...

NO offense but it sound likle you want to combine Force Aura with Sliding or Flight:Hovering.
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mr Scorpio »

The_Spirit wrote:

...I really don't see what it had to do with kinetic energy anyway.....

Ah, sorry about that Spirit. I'm one of those people that shouldn't be allowed to post first thing in the morning (I've never gotten up on the right side of the bed). Again, I do apologize.
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Now, back to work. Here's my latest power. I've got one or two more in mind.....

Mr Scorpio wrote:Energy Expulsion: Scattershot (Minor)

With this power the character is able to generate multiple small projectiles formed from energy (choose one) and fire them in bursts much like an automatic weapon. Using the Burst and Spray rules for semi-automatic and automatic weapons (HU2, pages 75-76) this allows him to attack a single opponent several times or several opponents with a single Spray attack.

Range: 200 feet
Number of Energy Projectiles: 1 per point of P.E.
Damage per Projectile: 1D6 + 1 at levels 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12
Duration: Instant
Bonuses: +1 to strike (all attacks are considered to be wild).
Note: Roll to strike once for the entire burst. So not roll for each individual projectile. If the burst misses its target, then all of the projectiles in that burst miss.

1. Short Burst: A short controlled burst at a single target.
Damage: Roll damage for ONE projectile x2
Attacks per Melee: Uses 1 melee attack.

2. Long Burst: A more powerful attack against a single target.
Damage:
Roll damage for ONE projectile x2 if the character has a P.E. of 15 or less.
Roll damage for ONE projectile x3 if the character has a P.E. of 16 or higher.
Attacks per Melee: Uses 1 melee attack.

3. Full Attack: An all out attack against a single target.
Damage:
Roll damage for ONE projectile x5 if the character has a P.E. of 15 or less.
Roll damage for ONE projectile x7 if the character has a P.E. of 16 or higher.
Attacks per Melee: Uses 2 melee attacks.

4. Spray: Either a Long Burst or a Full Attack against multiple targets.
1. Roll 1D20 to determine if the target area is hit (a 5 or better strikes that area).
2. Roll to strike, at –6, to hit the primary target. Damage: Roll damage for one projectile.
3. Roll 1D4 to determine how many secondary targets were deliberately hit by the spray attack. Damage: Roll damage for one projectile.
4. There is a 01-50% chance that 1D4 innocent bystanders (if any are in the area) are hit by a single round each. Damage: Roll damage for one projectile.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Let me take another crack at this thing:

Repulsion Aura:
This Power allows the character to create an aura of repulsive force around the limbs of their body. This enables them to "push off" from teh ground and hover a few feet in the air. This can also add to the damage of their punches and kicks. This also helps them to avoid being held onto.

How's that?
I know it doesn't have all the technical details but that I leave to you. I was trying to get the gist across. Does it?
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

The_Spirit wrote:Let me take another crack at this thing:

Repulsion Aura:
This Power allows the character to create an aura of repulsive force around the limbs of their body. This enables them to "push off" from teh ground and hover a few feet in the air. This can also add to the damage of their punches and kicks. This also helps them to avoid being held onto.

How's that?
I know it doesn't have all the technical details but that I leave to you. I was trying to get the gist across. Does it?

get's gist across quite well, spirit, quite well. :D
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Then its' up to you to get the technical details straightened out.
*cracks whip*
So get to it.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Alter Physical Structure of Limb: Force(minor)
This changes the limb into a translucent approximation made of pure force, akin to a force field. The limb has an AR of 14 and 100 SDC. It can be used to parry melee weapons without injury, unless the attack was specifically against the limb. It can be used to parry energy weapons also, though any attack not specfically directed at the limb still does half damage to the limb.
Damage: Add +1D6 to all punching(or kicking if a leg) attacks due to the force limb being an unyielding surface.
Force Bolts: Do 2D6 damage with a range of 100ft.
---Penn Jillette
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Nice one MrTwist. What made you decide to go in that direction with the power? I never would have thought of that (makes too much sense I suppose :D )
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Health Transference: [Probably Major]
"Whatsamatter Pal?...Need a refill?"

The character has the ability to transfer health and vitality between people, an invaluable aid for team mates, as well as an insidious means of repairing oneself.
1) Give 'till it hurts: The character can, by touching someone, will a transfer of HP, SDC, ISP and PPE [Chi too if used], to another person. This transfer takes one melee action for every 20 points of any sort transfered, and these points come from the character's own reserves. The recipient feels wounds close over and bleeding stop, while the character simply feels a drain in life force.

2) Theft: The reverse is also true, the character is able to drain HP, SDC, ISP Or PPE from another. this also requires contact throughout, however if the target is unwilling, then transfer occurs at a rate of 5 points per action of contact, and the victim recieves a saving throw (14+ PE bonuses apply) to resist. this process is uncomfortable, but not painful. Like the above ability, the person healing feels his wounds close up, while the donor feels a little drained.

3) Conduit: The character can perform a transfer of 10 points per action between any two people he is touching. this is a meagre 2 points per action if the donor is unwilling (and applies the same save as listed in #2 above). In this instance, the donor feels drained, but both the character and the recipient enjoy the benefits of feeling bleeding stop and wounds close (though only the recipient actually recovers any points)

4) healing hands: the character can also transfer disease and poison through touch. this is a serious matter though that requires a lot of consideration. By absorbing another's disease, the player effectivley contracts it. no saving throw. If transfering a disease or condition to another, they save (12+ PE bonuses count) to resist. while you could acquire cancer in this way, it's a problem trying to dispose of it later.

4) Buffer: every 2nd level, the character gains 10 generic point that he may transfer to others. these points cannot be reabsorbed later from a target. these points recover at a rate of 1 every 6 hours

Other abilities:
The character heals at 2 times normal rate.
+1d4 PE
+2d4 HP
Can add an extra person at 3rd level, and another at 6th, 9th and 12th. this means a character could use conduit to transfer SDC from one character into more than one target.
Safety net: This power does not affect a persons: Last 15 HP, Last 10 SDC last 10 ISP or last 5PPE. these lower limits cannot be denied a person by this power.

Posess Matter:
[size=7]"Mind my body for a minute..I have to borrow that motorcycle"[/size]

The character has the ability to transfer his life force into nearby matter and form a new body from it's bulk. While he does this, his normal, natural body slumps to the ground in an apparent coma, while he animates another object.
When he projects himself, he creates a golem or robotic type of body, in the same dimensions as his original. This new body takes as many minutes to form equal to half the material's AR [half again for particulate matter like sand or water]
This new body has the following qualities:
PS: Extraordanary strength equal to his own, plus half the substances AR.
PE: not applicable, the new body is simply animate matter
PP: equal to the character's minus the AR of the posessed material (but never less than half)
HP: not applicable
SDC: roughly 10 times the AR of the new substance, but subject to common sense limitations (if the player animates a mannequin for instance, just use the mannequin's SDC)
Resistances and invulnerabilities: The animated body resists attacks much like a similiar APS power would. The body does not fatigue, tire, need to breathe or sleep and is otherwise treated as innanimate matter. he has all the properties of the animated matter [so wood is flamable, and stone sinks in water etcetera]. he is still vulnerable to mental and magic attacks though, though not ones that function only on a living body
Also note, that the posessed matter suffers damage when posessed. If the character posesses part of a brick wall, that wall takes as much damage in a particular location, equal to the SDC gained by the animated body.

Pocket Universe [Tentatively major]
[size=12]"I know a place that is just looking for a groundskeeper my friend..care to step inside?"[/size]

The character keeps a small, transdimensional space inside his own body. This space, when entered, appears to be rouighly his ME in miles on a side. The pocket universe has a earth like terrain (or whaterver terrain is suitable for the character" with whatever cosmentic features he deems [Such as a series of homes surrounding a waterfall]. The realm is self sustaining.
To enter, a target must be either willing or restrained. an unwilling victim may make a save (14+ ME bonuses count) to resist. nayone who successfully resists cannot enter for 24 hours. Once inside, the only way out is to be let out. The creator of this universe can communicate telepathically with the occupants like regular speech, but unless he is actively spying, then he is unaware of wta hgoes on insdie his realm.
The character can also visit from time to time, by entering a meditative trance, he may create a copy of his own body inside the realm, and wander as any other person sealed inside.

Mind over matter [Minor]
[size=12]"Yeah, you can call me puny, but I'm telling you it's my brain that does the work here"[/size]

The character has the literal ability to bend his own body to his will. while conscious and awake/aware, he may substitute his ME for his PS score and treat this adjusted PS as extraordanary. During this time, he may also enjoy a type of force field, granting him an AR of 8, plus a SDC bonus equal to MEx2. He may substitute his ME for PE as well, but doing so robbs him of his PS and SDC bonuses for that melee round. While asleep, distracted or otherwise unaware, his PS/SDC/PE reverts to normal. If afflicted with any sort of mind affecting assault, his PS/PE/SDC drops as well (this includes a failed HF check as well as some psychic/magic attacks. benign effects do not affect it)
Other bonuse:
Gains +1 ME every level, and a one time bonus of +1d4 IQ.

Let me know what you think.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Mr Scorpio wrote:Nice one MrTwist. What made you decide to go in that direction with the power? I never would have thought of that (makes too much sense I suppose :D )

I got to thinking that instead of having some kind of field that does what I was looking for, turning the extremeties into force would have the qualities I was looking for. So, I figured I'd add another APS Limb.

I could create a diffrent version, where the hands and feet themselves all become force instead of the the whole limb. It would have the advantages I was looking for(contact with dangerous substances without much worry). Probably just be the same thing, but drop the force bolts subpower and say both hands and feet(including any extra limbs possessed) become pure force.
---Penn Jillette
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

I do have a question about the first power. The conduit almost seems to be pointless unless you don't have more than one melee action. Because you can pull 5 points from someone unwilling in one action, and give it to someone in the next(two actions), taking two actions to be a direct conduit to transfer 4 points from an unwilling donor doesn't seem to be worth it. The willing donor/recipients is the same rate(20 from one in an action, 20 to the recipient in the next).

Interesting stuff though.
---Penn Jillette
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Iczer wrote:Health Transference: [Probably Major]

You mean Life Tap? :-D

Iczer wrote:The character has the ability to transfer health and vitality between people, an invaluable aid for team mates, as well as an insidious means of repairing oneself.

Yeah, that's Life Tap. :P
<<For those who don't know what I'm refering to-Life Tap is a power/spell/ability that necromancers in Everquest have. >>

Iczer wrote:Posess Matter:
[size=7]"Mind my body for a minute..I have to borrow that motorcycle"[/size]

Now this was just cool. :P
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

MrTwist wrote:I do have a question about the first power. The conduit almost seems to be pointless unless you don't have more than one melee action. Because you can pull 5 points from someone unwilling in one action, and give it to someone in the next(two actions), taking two actions to be a direct conduit to transfer 4 points from an unwilling donor doesn't seem to be worth it. The willing donor/recipients is the same rate(20 from one in an action, 20 to the recipient in the next).

You are right. esentially conduit is half as fast (rounded down) as anything comparable. If you were 'conduiting' between a willing and an unwilling victim it would be slower (by a single point) If you really wanted to, you could alternate, 2 points in one round, 3 points the next. (though he gets a save every round to resist)

Bear in mind if you were using this to transfer PPE from one sorcerer to another, the character couldn't do it without conduit [He can't hold more PPE in himself than his maximum, which is, what 10-16?.]. Also he gains the feel goodness of the transfer, closing wounds, halting bleeding etc.. at the same time. the above example works for psychics as well [humans have no base ISP at all. You couldn't remove any points from a psychic in this manner without another psychic standing by.

Batts

Batts
Last edited by Iczer on Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Iczer wrote:
MrTwist wrote:I do have a question about the first power. The conduit almost seems to be pointless unless you don't have more than one melee action. Because you can pull 5 points from someone unwilling in one action, and give it to someone in the next(two actions), taking two actions to be a direct conduit to transfer 4 points from an unwilling donor doesn't seem to be worth it. The willing donor/recipients is the same rate(20 from one in an action, 20 to the recipient in the next).

Hmmm maybe it wasn't clear.
Only one action needed to be a conduit.
If Subject A [Recipient], Subject B [Donor] and subject C [The actual posessor of the power, are together, then subject C can transfer 10SDC per action from subject B to subject A. If conduit boy then tried to sap subject B's PPE against his will, then a maximum of 2 points can be transfered in one action, subject to subject B's saving throw.

But it takes one action to be a conduit, subject to the amount of points being transfered. If there are willing hosts, then it's just as fast to drain one guy and then return to the other, but the character cannot actually hold more points (aside from the buffer) than he actually has, which is a mold problem with PPE and ISP. Humans don't have much of one or any of the other.

Batts

Well, it seemed the draining and giving was just as fast as the conduit(when looked at over 2 actions), and taking from the unwilling using conduit was slower than using theft and then giving.

Edit - I think the pocket universe should be a major, since you could house a lot of people in there. What are the limitations on entrance though? Do you walk into the person? Can someone taller and broader than the character enter, or do they need to hunch over or something?

I like the idea of having my own invasion force sitting inside my body, waiting to be released. What about objects that enter? Do they have to be accompanied, or can they be tossed in? I'm curious because I want to give a character this power, along with the Dimension Pocket one I made up a while ago.
Last edited by MrTwist on Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---Penn Jillette
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

oops. ammended my post after yours dude. sorry

Batts
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Iczer wrote:oops. ammended my post after yours dude. sorry

Batts

Ah, ok. I got it.
---Penn Jillette
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

I think the pocket universe should be a major, since you could house a lot of people in there. What are the limitations on entrance though? Do you walk into the person? Can someone taller and broader than the character enter, or do they need to hunch over or something?

I like the idea of having my own invasion force sitting inside my body, waiting to be released. What about objects that enter? Do they have to be accompanied, or can they be tossed in? I'm curious because I want to give a character this power, along with the Dimension Pocket one I made up a while ago.

Yeah, definately a major power.
Entering: the character becomes still while the target simply walks in. like a human portal, only the dimensions of the person enetering can be no more than 15x15 feet.
Objects: as there is a requisite need for concentration and immobility, it is difficult to move solid objects into the pocket world without assistance. with assistance, a person can shift any amount of materiel, subject to the 15x15 size limit suggested above. without it, it is limited to objects 'easilly hefted' by one arm by the user, and said item should already be in the posession of the character.
Leaving: There are two ways to leave. the first is to be expelled by the character. this takes 2 actions per subject, though a target may attempt a saveing throw to stay (16+). the second way is for the character to leave a central location where others can door out, and to designate whether that door is 'open' or 'closed' a door designated as 'open' can allow others to leave.
A note on entering: while on the topic of a central location, all targets land at the same point, designated in the realm when the character creates it.
Another note: the character posesses the powers of CEF air, CEF water, CEF earth and plant control only inside his own realm. this allows him to shape the environment as he wills.

Batts
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Iczer wrote:
I think the pocket universe should be a major, since you could house a lot of people in there. What are the limitations on entrance though? Do you walk into the person? Can someone taller and broader than the character enter, or do they need to hunch over or something?

Yeah, definately a major power.
Entering: the character becomes still while the target simply walks in. like a human portal, only the dimensions of the person enetering can be no more than 15x15 feet.
Objects: as there is a requisite need for concentration and immobility, it is difficult to move solid objects into the pocket world without assistance. with assistance, a person can shift any amount of materiel, subject to the 15x15 size limit suggested above. without it, it is limited to objects 'easilly hefted' by one arm by the user, and said item should already be in the posession of the character.
Leaving: There are two ways to leave. the first is to be expelled by the character. this takes 2 actions per subject, though a target may attempt a saveing throw to stay (16+). the second way is for the character to leave a central location where others can door out, and to designate whether that door is 'open' or 'closed' a door designated as 'open' can allow others to leave.
A note on entering: while on the topic of a central location, all targets land at the same point, designated in the realm when the character creates it.
Another note: the character posesses the powers of CEF air, CEF water, CEF earth and plant control only inside his own realm. this allows him to shape the environment as he wills.

Batts

I know it's your power, but I was figuring the inside of the realm was chosen at power generation and could be changed whenever the person wanted it to. You don't need to add the CEF stuff. Just say "The environment inside is maintained or changed at the user's desire."
---Penn Jillette
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

APS: Alcohol(major)
This ability is akin to APS Liquid in the fact you can become a liquid, but the specific properties of alcohol give it different abilities. The super being changes into pure alcohol, although the exact composition is up to them. Some become moonshine, others become vanilla vodka, and some even become beer. No matter what, the powers and abilities are the same no matter what kind of alcohol composes their body.
1. Alcohol Bolt: You can shoot a bolt of alcohol at a short range, pressurized enough to do a little bit of damage.
Range: 25ft + 10ft per level.
Damage: 1D4 + 1 per level of experience(at second level it's 1D4 + 2, +3 at third level, etc...)
2. Misting: By taking a moment to concentrate, you can shed some of your alcohol mass into an area of alcoholic mist. Those in the mist long enough will start seeing some effects of being highly drunk due to breathing the mist, or it being absorbed through the skin.
Area of Effect: 20ft radius + 5ft per level of experience.
Penalties: Immediately, those in the mist will have a -2 to all combat actions due to incredible eye irritation, unless they are somehow protected. After being in the mist for two melee rounds, everyone will have a -1 penalty to all combat actions, and -5% to all skills. The same penalties are applied every subsequent melee round spent in the mist, and all penalties are cumulative. After being in the mist for 4 or more melees, their combat capabilities have been hampered enough that NO called shots are possible, though their pain tolerances are doubled. Of course, those with resistance to drugs or poisons will be able to resist this mist.
Saving Throw: These penalties can be avoided by a successful saving throw against non-lethal poison at a -2. This must be done every round to ensure no penalties are added, though any failed saves do accrue penalties.
Duration: As long as you concentrate on the mist. It takes two actions to activate, and one action per melee round to keep active.
3. Richard Pryor: Only by choice can the super being allow their fumes out and become flammable. Yes, you can light yourself on fire.
Duration: Until you choose to be non-flammable.
Damage: You take 2D4 damage every round from the burning. All of your hand to hand attacks gain an extra 2D6 damage due to the incredible heat around you. Also, any alcohol bolts you shoot are on fire also, doing 3D6 + 1 per level instead of the normal damage. And yes, you can choose to make your 'mist' flammable also. It will destroy the 'mist', but everyone in it(except you) takes 1D6 + 1D6 per every melee you kept pumping more alcohol into the mist to keep it going. There is also a 50% chance for those in mist to be knocked off their feet due to the explosion.
4. Manipulate Shape: If alcohol can fit through something, like a crack or hole, you can squeeze yourself through also.
5. Alcohol Merge: If you can find enough alcohol to merge with, you can. Pretty much useless outside of breweries and distilleries.
6. Limited Invulnerability: Physical attacks and projectiles do no damage to the alcohol being. Cold attacks do half damage unless the cold is intense enough to freeze alcohol. All other attacks do full damage.
7: Other Bonuses:
Add +30 SDC in alcohol form.
P.S. becomes extraordinary.
Pain tolerance is ten time normal in either form. Also, fatigues at half the rate.
Can drink anyone under the table; totally immune to the effects of alcohol. Though, they can choose to suppress this immunity. Can sober up at will.
Radiates no heat in alcohol form(well, unless lit on fire obviously).
Weight is quadrupled in alcohol form.
HF: 12 in alcohol form. No horror factor to alcoholics, drunks, or anyone addicted to alcohol. Most likely they will try to lick you.
Can sterilize objects in either form by secreting a small amount of pure alcohol over them.

Just something I came up with. It may have been done before somewhere, but I figured another silly power would be nice. I was thinking of creating CEF: Stupidity, but that will take a bit of time.
---Penn Jillette
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Whiz Kid wrote:APS Alcohol... :lol:

Love it! Especially that 'Richard Pryor' bit.

I think some sort of alcohol-tasting ability (applicable to whatever form of alcohol the character turns into) should be provided, just for the heck of it, but otherwise, it's pretty cool.

When I started working on the power, I couldn't avoid the Pryor joke. But, even though it's a silly power, it could be rather useful. It's really two APS powers thrown into one, since being lit on fire actually gives you somewhat different abilities. I'm sure there are quite a few other substances that have properties that can be exploited in odd ways. Heck, an APS: Iodine might be able to allow the user to go straight from solid form to gaseous.
---Penn Jillette
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

This needs a newer, more sleek name.

Attack Disk(minor)
The character can create a small disk, about the size of a normal compact disk, that can fly on it's own. It's movements are controlled mentally, and the disk is razor sharp. It can be unsummoned at will, and the disk is indestructable.
Damage: 1D6 + 1D6 every ther level of experience(3,5,7,etc.).
Range: Can be flown out to 200ft + 20ft every other level.
Bonuses to strike: +2 when aimed, no bonuses otherwise.
Penalties: Since it is a small target, there is a -2 to dodge or parry it. Also, unless the target can sense the disk coming after it's initial pass, most likely they will have no idea it can return. Therefore, on the first return attack, unless they can sense or something else makes them know it's coming, they have a -5 to parry and dodge for that one action. After that, they are pretty alert.

I was thinking about turning this into a major, unless someone has already done it. The abilities I was thinking of adding to make it stronger would include at a certain level you can make more than one, defensive capabilities, the ability to hover a certain height like Flying Force Disk, and maybe the ability to make the disk into a saw blade able to cut through a certain amount of AR.

I know it's like Zenvis' Spinning Blades power, but I hope it's different enough.
---Penn Jillette
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

ZEN wrote:
MrTwist wrote:
ZEN wrote:Mr Twist, do you own a copy of Powers Unlimited 1?

That sounds suspiciously like a prelude to an insult, or some barbed comment about not noticing something I should have. Of course, I'm probably just being paranoid. Yes, I do have a copy. I miss something?

Insults and barbed comments? When have I ever? :D
What I was hinting at is Flight: Force Disk (PU1)

Well, I was going for more offensive capabilities than Flying Force Disk. Plus, with Force Disk you just toss the disk and that's it. With this power, the disk doesn't go away. It was kind of inspired by thinking of that movie, "I Come In Peace."
---Penn Jillette
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

I'd really like to see a more powerful version of shape change...one which would allow you to emulate inanimate objects, and creatures of pure imagination.
Something like a cross between A-Pack-O-Lips, and Plastic Man.
As it is, I'm bastardizing APS Metal, Stretching, Growth and whtever minor powers I can to do these things.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Jelly Bones(minor)
This strange ability is used to make someone's limbs unusable. The touch of this character can turn their opponent's bones to a jelly-like substance, making the body part affected useless.
Range: Touch only.
Duration: 1 melee round per level of experience. When the duration is over, the limb reforms perfectly(unless damage was done, or it was chopped off).
Saving Throw: A save at 14 or higher, including PE bonuses. If the torso is attempted to be affected, or the skull, then the save is reduced to a 12 or higher.
Actions Required: Only one action is needed to use this ability, though it can only be used a maximum of twice per melee round. The one action version only affects the body part touched(skull, forearm, foot, etc..), though you can spend three actions to attempt to turn a whole limb into jelly(arms, legs, or head which would include the neck and the skull).
Notes: Has no effect on bones that are not natural, such as bionics. Enhanced bones through super powers(like Indestructible Bones) are still bone and are affected.

Ok, it's pretty silly, though not designed for a silly power.
---Penn Jillette
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Mind's eye
"Hmm... tall, caucasian female...with a predisposition towards obesity"

The characteris a kind of in built genetic scanner, able to perform a miricale of modern science with but a touch, taste or sample. Primarilly, the character can take any viable, DNA sample he is touching, and recreate the donor in his mind's eye. Thus by touching a drop of blood from a crime scene, the character can get a mental picture of that person's makeup and likely appearance.
Other abilities:
* Can make a guestimate about genetic likelihoods based on samples he is in contact with. such factors can include risk of heart disease and other ilnesses. accurate to within 4-6%
* Automatically recognises people with overt genetic conditions (Recognises shapeshifters by touch, and can differentiate between people who are aliens, mutants and other power categories (though cannot differentiate between the purely human power categories)
* Can make an educated guess at a superpowered being's actual powers by touch. 45% chance, +3% per level. these guesses are never perfect, but are usually accurate (Instead of "he has energy expulsion fire" you might get "he's an energy projector...probably heat")
* +5% to medical skills and biology. +10% further if working on problems regarding their genetics.
(probably minor)

Geopresence
"Uh Oh....Looks like someone's broken into the mansion. again."

The character has the ability to lay down tiny spikes of energy from which he can remotely observe. these spikes are invisible to the naked eye (but may be visible to senses that can see in unnusual wavelenghts) and remain where positioned. At any time, the character can extend his senses to that point and examine it's surroundings with any of his available senses. The character keeps a continual, "watchdog" status with these spikes, even when not paying attention to them, and notices any grand or overwhelming even that occurs at these locations. (Trainspotter has his spikes set up over grand central station. Because he isn't paying attention, he fails to notice a number of muggings, the passage of several hare Krishnas and an anonymous exchange of cash between a known felon and a suspect in an ongoing case. He cannot fail to notice when an explosion goes off at that location though)
The character can lay as many of these spikes as his ME score, Plus 2 per level. when he wishes to lay down a new spike, he must cancel an older one. while he must be physically present to lay down a spike, he can cancel one from anywhere on the planet. He can view any spike he has placed from anywhere on a single planet.
At 3rd level, the character can 'speak' through his spikes if need be.
[Minor power]

Power capture
"Beware my balls!....What's so funny guys?"

The character has the ability to form small balls of force that can capture and contain pockets of energy.
1) Contain and capture: the character can attack an energy source with this ability. A distant energy source is funnelled towards the character, and then 'bottled' at his location. As an attack, this inflicts 2d6 +1d6 per level of experience to characters in an energy form, or to creatures made of energy. This also includes creatures of magic energy (though targetting such creatures may prove difficult). this is done with a +4 to strike. as a defensive measure, the character must use an available action and then attempts to parry with this power at +4. If he is successful, an energy attack can be blocked, reducing the impending attack by 1d4x10 +1d6 per level of experience (half of which is bottled for later, the rest is dispersed)
2) Holding on to power: each attack so siphoned remains in a clear bubble of force that remains with the character, floating around the character within 5 feet. a character can hold as many of these energy bubbles as half his ME plus 1 per level. Each bubble has 12 SDC.
3) using the power: The character is able to rest a bubble at a location as a landmine, exploding on touch, if broken, by proximity(1-3 feet) or by timer(up to 2 hours per level). when the set condition is met, the bubble releases it's energy, inflicting the captured energy to a 12 foot radius. These bubbles can also be hurled by force of will, racing up to 60 feet +5feet per level and inflicting 1d6 damage (+1 per level) and then releaseing it's stored energy as above. Lastly, any stored energy may be meted out at a rate of 1 point of damage every 5 minutes. laser energy becomes a soft light source, electrical can be used to power a small electrical appliance, while fire/heat can be released as a gentle warmth.
4) other benefits: The character is resistant to all forms of energy (half damage) and takes no damage from his own exploding spheres (he can load himself up and be a walking bomb if he needs to).
Probably a major.

Batts: Keeping the thread alive

MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Anyone do a hyper invention type power? Too lazy to search. While it would take time, a power that let's you jury-rig a device out of existing parts that does what you need. Sort of like a super powered version of what the A-Team constantly does. Of course, it wouldn't last very long. It would break down pretty quick.

You'd have to suspend real world physics, or the power would, for it to work.

Random Person: "We're running out of power. The spaceship's reactor has shut down. Life support will cease in ten minutes if we don't do something."

Jury-Rig Person: "Ok, you get me the tin foil from the dining area. You over there! Rip that panel off the wall. I need someone to rip open that microwave. I've got an idea for a super efficient solar power system. It will save our butts."

Random Person 2: "What should I do?"

Jury-Rig Person: "Pray to God I know what I'm doing. And, get me some coffee."
---Penn Jillette
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Jury Rig
"Dammit Man, just get me that bloody coffee"

The character has a subconscious ability to manipulate metal and machinery using stray molecules from his environment. Part matter manipulation, part subconscious information access this power makes for a quirky and yet suprisingly effective technician.
1) Repairman. The character can use common houshold materiels to create repairs in machinery. every 15 seconds of labour allows a character with this power to make a reapir roll (vs any appropriate skill at the time) at -20%. if successful, then he literally bonds new materiale onto another device, repairing 3d6 SDC +2 per level in addition to 3% (+1% per level) of the SDC of the impromptu materiels. such repairs are never as sturdy as real work, and a breakdown is likely in the future.
2) Master mechanic. The character gains a +10% to all mechanical and electrical skills he already knows. He gains auto mechanics, basic mechanics and basic electronics at +25% if he does not posess a superior skill already
3) Rapid build: the character can also build impromptu devices on the spot. as a mad inventor, these one time devices can be used to facilitate all sorts of shenanigans. rapid build takes 5 minutes to acomplish, and creates devices that have an extremely limited lifespan. He rolls an appropriate skill (GM's decision) at -25%. If he has half an hour or more the attempt gains a +10%. if he has adequate tools +5%, with a further +5% for excellent tools. If he has good parts another +5%, or +10% for excellent parts. [Editor's note: roughly, such an impromptu device should mimick the function of an easilly accessible tool, utensil or weapon. if the character could have gotten it by going down to the local Mall then give him another +10%. otherwise a good rule of thumb is to allow rapid built device to have anyeffect similiar to a level 1-3 magic spell. this is not magic, just a guideline to the range of similiar effects created by this character]
4) Genius: the character is startling when it comes to technology. penalties for operating any machine or device is halved right off the bat, and construction times, and repair times when working on more mundane devices are also halved (the character subconsiously manipulates machines and metal, ionically bonding and shaping as he goes) He has a kind of intuitive awareness of machinery in that he treats any device he encounters as labelled for easy use. It's not really labelled, but if the character comes across a big red unlabelled button in a storeroom, he can identify it's function as a matter of course, the information supplied by some sort of mechanical ESP.

Batts
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Did you already have that sitting around, or just come up with it? Nifty.
---Penn Jillette
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

thagema wrote:What ever happened to the Dream Self character category?
I've been checking the site and haven't seen it and there hasn't been any talk of it in this thread in awhile.
Just curious...

It got buried under a ton of other stuff I've piled on myself. I can post what I've got done so far if you want.
---Penn Jillette
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

thagema wrote:I was just curious since it's such a good idea. You should really finish it.

My gaming group switch games, so I never really got a chance to test it. That's why it never got quite finished. Here's what I have done though, in case anyone wants to try it out.

The Dreaming Hero

The new movie at the theater didn't impress Ron very much. He was raised on comic books, and this newest attempt to translate the dreams and aspirations of many readers seemed so lackluster to him. Hollywood always destroyed the image, made it into something it wasn't. They never did justice to the world bound in colored images and even more colorful writing. His dreams always made heroes out to be something out of legends; men and women with the strength and determination to bring light to the darkness of human existance.
These thoughts, and more like it, ran through Ron's mind at he drove home from the movie. Outwardly, his face showed no emotion. Inwardly, his mind was a knot of rage. His childhood dreams were scarred by this latest attempt to put those dreams into a visual medium. The stoplight turned red as he came close, requiring him to keep his mind on the road ahead of him enough to apply pressure to the brakes. The car came to a stop as he slammed his open palm into the steering wheel in anger. Why do they always turn the golden past into a gray future?
His night was like any other. An office job that ground his self-esteem to so much tossed out coffee grinds, a love life that has it's only sparkling moments in the smiles the girl behind the movie rental counter gives him, and the promise of an empty home with a refrigerator filled with condiments awaiting his newest purchase of fast food. At least the misery was consistant.
Campy and old-fashioned as it was(even though old-fashioned meant the 70's), he watched the same super hero movie once again. The hero always acted in such a fashion that seemed so fake in real life, but they are a Hero nontheless. A bag of microwave popcorn cooled in his lap as his eyelids became lead weights and he slowly fell into that world where he finally escaped this life and became someone who took charge. Not only someone who took charge, but a world in which he became the kind of person he always wanted to be...

The Dreaming Hero is a singular individual. Where most heroes find their calling in life and work towards this potential dream, the dreaming hero is one who has great potential. Unfortunately, due to any number of circumstances, this potential is never achieved. In some rare cases, the one who wants to be the hero never does, but the dreams of the person take shape. They create an idealized persona that finally manifests into the physical world. In some small way, they finally become the person they dream about. In this way, the Dreaming Hero takes form. The phenomena is so rare that even those with extensive knowledge of the various types of super beings most likely don't realize they exist. These beings are actual flesh and blood, not some form of ectoplasm. Something about these dreamer taps into the power of the realm of dreams to create the hero persona. What baffles those who have dealt with this hero type is the fact that even on the very first manifestation, the hero comes into being with full memories of a past life. Usually these histories are rather on the fantastic or surreal side, but never check out when compared to real records and history

Note:
To make a character with this as a power category, two characters need to be rolled up. One character is the dreaming person, and the other is the actual Hero. Attributes for the base person should be rolled as normal, and then the Dreaming Hero is a second character, based upon the template dreamer. You may ask why some of the abilities and notes for the Dream Hero seem to not make sense. The reason behind this is that the Dream Hero, and their abilities, are extensions of the dream world. They don't follow normal rules, and instead follow their own rules. For all intents and purposes, these abilities are functionally identical to what they mimic. In actual form, they are very different. So, a magic spell cast by a Dream Hero works exactly like the spell description, including whether or not something is affected by it. In actuality, it is just an approximation of what the dreamer believes magic should look like.
The same applies to skill differences between the two. While the dreamer may not possess Gymnastics and the hero does, most of the time the dreamer has seen multiple examples. An actual gymnast viewing the hero using Gymnastics would be confused as to how the hero actually does what he does. Functionally, they are identical. Visually, they just look different. For this reason, the hero cannot teach any skill not possessed by the dreamer. The real world knowledge just isn't there.

Requirements: No attributes are integral to this character. Because of the type of character, anything is acceptable as a template.

Bonuses: The Dreaming Hero's dream persona is always an idealized form. M.E., and M.A. are increased by 1D4(minimum 14). P.P., P.E., and SPD are increased by 1D6(minimum 16). P.B. is increased by 1D6+3(minimum 18). P.S. is increased by 2D6(minimum 22). These bonuses only apply to the Dream Hero. IQ is actually the same for both the dreamer and the hero.

Step One: Determine attributes and skills.
To determine the base attributes, roll up both characters as normal. Note the bonuses for the Dream Hero listed above. Generally, most of the attributes of the dreamer are average for humans. The Hero tends to have higher than average attributes, hence the bonuses.
Everything else (HP, skills for the dreamer) is determined normally. SDC for the dreamer is a base of 15. The Hero has a 30 SDC base. To determine skills, use the normal tables to figure out what the dreamer has. The Dream Hero has the same skills, but they can be traded out. The tradeouts can be done, one for one, between the original skills and physical skills or WP. So, the Dream Hero could trade three skills possessed by the dreamer in exchange for two physical skills and a WP.

Step Two: Determine the nature of the Dreamer and the Hero

The dreamer can be chosen or rolled randomly. This is not a full list of possible dreamers, but only some ideas. Each description is kept a bit vague so the player can fill in the details of the dreamer type.

The Dreamer
1% - 14% The Criminal - This person became a criminal at some critical junction in life. They had a choice as to whether or not to go down the path that would lead them to glory and the adulation of the public. They turned down the road the road of the unlawful, and now regret their choice in life. This person actually may be sitting in prison, dreaming up a way to make amends for what they had done in the past.
15% - 35% Lack of Ambition - This person just never got around to realizing their potential. Maybe they could've become great psychics, supreme mages, or have some untapped genetic potential for super powers. These people never had the drive to become great, but they have dreamt of it.

36% - 49% Fate Breaker - This type of person was pretty much fated to become some great hero. But, destiny can be overcome due to choices. This person took a different path in life, and now it's too late. They live their life as any other person, though they still remember that point in time when they could have become great.

50% - 62% The Failure - This person is a lot like the Fate Breaker. At some point, they began the first steps down the road to becoming a hero. Unfortunately, some great failure caused them to stop. Now they have become just a normal person, but with extreme low self-esteem. They just don't feel worthy of the challenges they face in life. In their dreams, they know they could've succeeded if only they had another chance.

63% - 79% The Businessperson - As a child, becoming a hero was the dream of this person. As they got older, they became more enmeshed in mainstream society. The pursuit of money became their driving goal. Now, they are too busy to realize the untapped potential they have. Work is their life. Sometimes, at night when the day's work is over, they remember those childhood dreams.

80% - 100% The True Dreamer - This person is in love with the idea of super heroes. Comic books are the drug of choice for this person. They go to conventions, have tons of t-shirts, and rare collectibles are sought for with gusto. They have always wished they could become an icon to the people, like that person in that comic. They've even developed this fantasy persona of how they would be if they had these powers. In their dreams, they become this person, dreaming of fighting crime and being idolized.

The Hero
1% - 16% The Idol - This persona wants to be on tv. And radio. And in comics. And the news. And immortalized with action figures. Everything they do has to be big, public, and reported. As they head to a crime scene, they call reporters just to make sure there is proper coverage. This really has nothing to do with their effectiveness. Even though they are glory hounds, they still are heroes.

17% - 29% The Shadow - This hero doesn't desire the limelight. While trying to work within the letter of the law, they still realize crime needs to be stopped. Sometimes, rules must be broken for the greater good of everyone. This hero, whether or not part of a hero group, works out of sight. They feel like the media ruins everything it touches, and the reporters should leave the hero work to the heroes.

30% - 47% The Vigilante - Criminals are the unwanted product of human existance. And they are the ones who hand out justice like... well, whatever analogy you feel like putting here. The law is broken, and criminals need to be stopped. This persona has no problem fighting dirty to stop the criminals. They will use the tactics of evil to fight evil. They are still heroes, and will not harm innocent people.

48% - 69% The True Hero - This persona doesn't avoid, or hope for the limelight. In their eyes, criminals need to be stopped. They work within the law, but certain circumstances may not allow that. They are not as violent as the vigilante, not as spiteful as the shadow, and not as interested in the limelight as the Idol. They are just heroes, fighting to defend people's lives.

70% - 86% The Socialite - While this hero fights for good, the pursuit of the pleasures of life are foremost. They will fight crime like anyone else, but when the media and police show up they are off somewhere else partying. Morality and such really don't bother them, although they don't want to hurt anyone who doesn't deserve it. If part of a hero group, this type of persona is late to meetings, tactical discussions, and sometimes to the start of battle. They are too busy living life to it's fullest. Unlike the Idol, who loves the camera for the sake of the camera, this persona is usually on camera only to hit on the reporter. This hero is usually in tabloids, linked to some celebrity, or some scandal. They just want to have fun.
87% - 100% The Bruiser - This persona is interested in fighting crime and helping people in general. But, underlying that drive is the burning desire to prove their strength and superiority. They will follow the law, depending on their alignment, but their methods can sometimes go overboard. They hate being beat, especially in combat, and will always go the extra mile to defeat an opponent. The desire to prove themselves doesn't always have to revolve around strength. Those who pride themselves on their mental capabilities can be aggressive, always proving to others just how smart they really are.

Step Three: Determine Powers and Abilities
Special Abilities:
These powers and abilities only apply to the Dream Hero Persona. These are strange abilities that seem to go along with the fact that the Hero is a manifestation of a dream. Choose or roll for 1D4 abilities.

1. - The Hero's strength is increased by one level, with a maximum of Superhuman. So, if they have no powers which increase strength, regular becomes Extraordinary, Extraordinary becomes Superhuman. Superhuman or better stays the same.

2. - The Hero can hover or fly at a low speed. The maximum flight speed if limited to 50mph. The max altitude is 1000ft. This can be increased through super powers.

3. - The Hero has a signature weapon that materializes whenever they do. Treat this as a weapon of it's type with a +2 to damage. Also, this weapon has a dream-like sense of balance. In the hands of the hero, this weapon also has a +1 to strike and parry. If anyone else tries to use the weapon, they are at a -1 to strike and parry. If they have a W.P. in the weapon, it seems more alien and gives them a -2 to strike and parry. The damage bonus is consistant. The only reason why the weapon actually gives worse penalties to someone with the WP is because they are so used to wielding swords a certain way, and the extreme difference in balance cause quite a few problems. After one melee, someone with the appropriate WP will adapt to using the weapon, gaining the same bonuses as the hero. The weapon itself disappears after one full minute out of the character's hands. This is limited to melee weapons, but can include shields if so desired.
An optional change to this ability is that instead of a weapon, the hero has some kind of vehicle. This is always something small and without attack capabilities. The range of vehicle types is limited to small automobiles and motorcycles to low-flying flying disks.

4. - The Dream Hero is more resilient than their normal counterpart. They gain +50 SDC and +2D6 HP.

5 - Two senses are more acute, effectively being double the normal sensitivity for a human.

6 - Something about the Hero inspires Awe in others. Maybe they glow, or just seem to be perfect. They have an Awe Factor of 12.

7 - The Dream hero just seems to be able to take on massive amounts of pain without noticing it. Reduce any penalties due to massive damage or pain by half.

8 - Due to some bizarre physiology, the Dream Hero does not need to breathe. They can still be affected by gases that get into their system somehow, but they don't need to breathe.

9 - The Hero is stronger than normal. Add +10 to PS.

10 - Due to the fact the Hero is used to some strange things, they are immune to fear. They assume even the scariest or weirdest thing is just supposed to be there, and go with it.

Determining Powers

Roll on this chart to determine what powers the Hero has(only the Dream Persona). If Psionics are rolled, the Hero is treated as a Latent for purposes of saves. Also note that the magic spels that can be gained by the Hero aren't 'true' magic spells in any sense. Other magic users will realize it's just gibberish, or possibly some alien form of spellcasting. The spells the hero gains are approximations of what they believe are spells. The Hero is the only one who has powers.

1%-8% - 1 major and 4 minors
9%-15% - 7 minors(no major powers)
16%-21% - 1 major, 1 minor, and 1D4 from all Psionic categories except Super. Choose 2 Super Psionics. ISP is 2D4x10+ME.
22%-29% - 2 minors(no major powers) and 1D6 powers chosen from any psionic category except Super. Choose 1d6 Super Psionics. ISP is 2D4x10+ME.
30%-38% - Detemine Psionic Abilities as a Latent Psionic(including ISP and increase in Psionic Abiliies by level)
39%-46% - Choose 2 Psionics from each category, except Super. Choose 2 spells from each level, 1-4. ISP is 1D6x10+ME. PPE is 1D6x10.
47%-55% - 1 major and 2d6 spells from levels 1-4. PPE is 1D6x10.
56%-63% - 1 major, 1D4 Psionics from any category except Super, 1 Super Psionic, and 1 spell from each level 1-4. ISP is 1D6x10+ME. PPE is 1D6x10.
64%-71% - 5 minors and 1 Super Psionic. ISP is 1D4x10+ME.
72&-80% - 2 majors and 1 minor
81%-89% - 2 majors and 2 minors
90%-93% - 3 majors(no minor powers)
94%-100% - 2 majors and choose 2 Super Psionics. ISP is 1D6x10+ME.

Relationship Between The Two

When the dreamer falls asleep, the dream hero pops into existance about 1D6 minutes later. The dream hero reappears in the last spot they were before they disappeared last time. When the dreamer wakes up, the dream hero disappears entirely. The dream hero is aware of an impending sense of dread when the dreamer is about to wake up, giving them a warning of 2D6 minutes. If the dreamer is woken up violently or suddenly, the dream hero feels no warning and disappears. In either case, a dream hero that is 5th level or higher can actually exert some control over when the dreamer wakes up. When they feel the warning, they can hold the dreamer in a sleep state for an extra 2 minutes per level. This extreme expression of willpower costs the dream hero, if they are in combat, initiative, two melee attacks, and half of all combat bonuses. This applies to all melee rounds. During this time, skill percentage is reduced by 20% to reflect how much concentration is being used. This can be done if the dreamer is being woken up suddenly; in this case the dreamer just stays asleep.
If the dreamer is hurt while they are sleeping, the dream hero is aware of this. They will know the location of the dreamer and feel an overpowering urge that they need to be there. Generally they will drop what they are doing and head to help the dreamer. Depending on whether or not the two actually are aware of the connection between them, the dream hero may realize what is going on before they arrive at the dreamer's location. For those dream heroes that are aware of the dreamer, and the connection, they will know the dreamer is in serious danger.

Step Four: Rounding Out the Character and Notes
Alignment is determined normally for both characters. Sometimes there are minor, or even drastic, differences in alignment between the two. The dreamer's alignment is what they feel is the right way to act, but the hero's alignment reflects what the dreamer subconsciously believes how a hero should behave.
All other optional parts are determined as normal. The only difference is the hero doesn't have any money. They can start a bank account later if they choose, but every time they reappear they always have the same equipment. Generally, this means one weapon of choice (modern or melee), clothing or a costume, and some basic equipment based on what type of hero they are (1D6 items). As an example, a Shadow type may have binoculars, a pistol, a couple extra clips, and a camera. For purposes of equipment that require power sources or ammunition, assume it comes into being fully loaded. If the power or ammo is used up, then more must be found. Since the hero remembers the condition of their equipment when they disappear, damaged equipment comes back damaged. If something is destroyed, it will not return for 1D4 days. Anything dropped or left behind will cease to exist when the hero disappears. The hero can't 'bring' equipment with them when they go back to the world of dreams. Anything extra that they are carrying when they disappear falls to the ground.
Physically, both the dreamer and the dream hero look very similar, at least in facial features. People who see pictures of both would think they could be cousins. Other than the facial features, determine everything else about the two separately when it comes to physical description. On the average, the dream hero is usually around 2D4 inches taller than the dreamer.
The relationship between the dream hero and the dreamer is different with each person. Some know about each other, others have only one of the two possessing knowledge of the other, and in a few cases neither the dreamer nor the dream hero realize the connection between the two. The dreamer and the dream hero do not share memory; instead they 'dream' about the other person. So, the dreamer may know only bits and pieces of what the dream hero did, and vice versa.
Unless the dream hero spends time to set up a bank account and get money, they are totally broke. When they are first created, choose 3D6 x $1000 to determine what equipment they have. This equipment, as noted above, really doesn't exist. It is a solid manifestation of dream. Electronic items come into existance with full battery power, and weapons come with full ammo. Each time they reappear, they again have full ammo or power. The only thing about them that is remembered is damage that they have taken.
The dreamer also has 3D6 x $1000 to represent life savings, and starts with 3D6 x $100 worth of equipment they have purchased above and beyond common household items. They also have a small vehicle and place to live.

Optional Rules for the Dreaming Hero
If you don't feel like using the power table above because of the inclusion of possible spells, then just use the power table for Experiments in the Heroes Unlimited core rule book. As another option, you can use the Latent Psychic to determine powers, including ISP. You can use the Wizard as another option, but there are a few problems. First off, the spells will be considered magical for all intents and purposes, but they can't be taught to others. They are just dream approximations, and sound like complete gibberish. On the reverse, you can't learn spells from normal sources either. Instead, you determine initial spells as normal and gain three spells at every experience level, chosen from spell levels equal or less than your level of experience.
As an option, the Dream Hero can be summoned while the base person is daydreaming. For this to happen, the normal person must be in a situation where they have the opportunity to daydream(not distracted by lots of noise, pain, or other stimuli that would keep them alert). It can even happen while the normal person is driving to work and going about their normal job, as long as it's mundane enough(office jobs with lots of repetitive work are perfect). The normal person suffers a -20% penalty to all skill roles while daydreaming. There is no need to mention combat penalties, because combat will snap them out of the daydream and cause the Dream Hero to disappear. The Dream Hero itself suffers some penalties, because it's not "fully there". They suffer a -10% penalty to all skill roles, and a -2 to all combat actions. They also lose two attacks per melee.
Another option is The Nightmare. The Nightmare is the dark, evil version of the Dream Hero. Usually this type will occur when the dreamer has deep desires to do evil things, but not the courage to do them. The Nightmare is no different from the Dream Hero except for the alignment differences. Just create a Dreaming Hero as normal, but twist the Dreamer and Hero definitions into something dark and evil. The same goes for the special abilities; just make their manifestation look evil in nature.
Last edited by MrTwist on Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---Penn Jillette
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

ZEN wrote:Mmm have to get the Dream Hero done sooner or later, it's too good a category to leave by the wayside.
I was wondering how the Dream Hero: Nightmare option would combine with the Evil horror factor based power that we came up with before.. that also need to be finished up and added at some stage.

Nice work on those powers Iczer (as per usual), I've added two of them to the web page.
8-)

Any ideas from what I've posted? That Dread Transformation power would fit in with the Nightmare rather nicely. It could even be boosted up to almost like BIO-E, giving choices of actual minor powers if enough points are spent.
---Penn Jillette
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

MrTwist wrote:Did you already have that sitting around, or just come up with it? Nifty.

saw your request and wrote it up on the spot.

In fact, it's the only copy of that power that I have, (though I'll be correcting THAT oversight in a bit)

Batts
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

ZEN wrote:That sparked an idea..
I'm thinking of a power, a minor power, where the character is able to set themselves on fire, and stay on fire without personal harm.. and they can freeze themselves and remain mobile, yet effectively frozen solid as ice.. they are not invulnerable to extreme heat or cold, they are simply able to be set on fire or frozen or whatever, and use those properties to their advantage.
8-)

Personal temperature control:
"Hmmm...Baby, you got me running hot AND cold"

The character has the ability to perform two different and specialised abilities with ther body, either vastly increasing thier body temperature to immolation, or lower it to frgidity.
1) Immolation: Immolation takes 2 actions to achieve. when immolated the character has a corsucating fiery aura (he is on fire) which causes minor burns (2d6) to whatever he touches. When ignited he is immune to his own flames and resistant to heat and fire from external sources (Half damage). He may remain immolated for 3 rounds plus one per level, before needing a 5 minute break.
2) Frigidity: Frigidity takes 2 actions to achieve. in this state, the character is not slowed, but becomes cold to the touch (his tissues freeze solid safely). he gains an AR of 8, and his fists hit like jackhammers (2d6 punch damage). people making prolonged contact with this character will take 1 point of damage for every melee round of contact. the character is extremely resistant to cold in this state (1/4 damage)
3) Safety measures: Excluding instances where the character is either frigid or immolated, the character can absorb surrounding heat or cold to produce the above effects. the character can absorb damage from either heat or cold (but not both at once) ignoring up to 30 points of damage. after 30 points of damage is absorbed, the character either immolates or becomes frigid (whichever type of damage is being applied). In cases where the character is making saving throws against heat or cold related effects, the target for the save is considered the amount of damage so far absorbed. absorbed heat (or cold) damage can be shed at a rate of 6 points per action.

Batts
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

ZEN wrote:Check out the PU3.0 web page for the version with fewer typos Iczer.. heh heh heh 8-)

Saw it. Feels good to have my name (pseudonym) in print.

That said... what about posess matter, and those others? I thought at leats one of them would have 'made the grade'. so to speak. :(

Oh well.

(On the plus side, look out for penguin press's "Chillin' field" to be released in the next couple of months. My first book. woo hoo!!)

Batts
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Iczer wrote:
ZEN wrote:Check out the PU3.0 web page for the version with fewer typos Iczer.. heh heh heh 8-)

Saw it. Feels good to have my name (pseudonym) in print.

That said... what about posess matter, and those others? I thought at leats one of them would have 'made the grade'. so to speak. :(

Oh well.

(On the plus side, look out for penguin press's "Chillin' field" to be released in the next couple of months. My first book. woo hoo!!)

Batts

I believe Zen sometimes takes a bit of time to edit, add, and whatever. Just because a power isn't up doesn't mean it will never be. I've made a few I thought were good(and some I freely admit suck) enough and didn't make it. Yet, at least.
---Penn Jillette
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

If someone's done this before, let me know.

Supervision: Bird's Eye View(minor)
This odd little vision power functions a bit differently than most vision powers. It doesn't actually improve your vision; it changes it's point of view. What happens is when this power is activated, your point of view changes to a distance up in the air, looking down on the world with you in the center. Most people with this power use it to help them find their way to roads, cities, or just get out of a forest. When this power is used, you can't see your immediate surroundings, so it's generally a good idea to not move around much.
Range: At first level, your vision looks down at the world from one mile up in the air. This gives you a much wider view of the world, though with much less detail. At every level of experience after level one, this height increases by another mile. At third level, you change your point of view from a minimum of one mile to whatever your maximum height is.
Notes: You can look around, just like on the ground. Your real head will physically move on the ground, just as if you were looking around at your surroundings.
It is up to GM's discretion whether other vision powers can be used in tandem with this one.

Edit - I'm thinking about another power. I'm wondering how useful people will think a power would be if it let's you connect to a building. In a sense, the building itself becomes your senses. You see everything in the building, hear everything, and feel it. Probably won't include taste and smell, because that could be potentially disgusting to the extreme. Maybe even make it more major of a power by causing the user to disappear and actually become one with the building. Basically, you could reappear anywhere you choose to, or even make yourself heard anywhere in the building. Just a concept, and I was curious if anyone thought it worthy enough of a concept to fully develop.
---Penn Jillette
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

if this makes any sense, i was thinking of a (probably minor) power today while i was organizing some of my old action figures. the basic details are: the power would allow you to rotate your body with an unlimited range of flexibility. for example, you could rotate your upper body at a fairly high speed(not spin at high velocity speed, but at a good speed nonetheless), while your lower body remained stationary. you could do it with your other body parts as well and get some fairly interesting results(spinning a sword in hand to create a somewhat effective shield, much the same as the newer version of heman, in which EVERY character seemed to be able to do so; etc...). if anyone *cough*iczer*cough* has any ideas, fell free to help me out with this one. any help is vastly appreciated. :D
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

brannigan's law wrote:if this makes any sense, i was thinking of a (probably minor) power today while i was organizing some of my old action figures. the basic details are: the power would allow you to rotate your body with an unlimited range of flexibility. for example, you could rotate your upper body at a fairly high speed(not spin at high velocity speed, but at a good speed nonetheless), while your lower body remained stationary. you could do it with your other body parts as well and get some fairly interesting results(spinning a sword in hand to create a somewhat effective shield, much the same as the newer version of heman, in which EVERY character seemed to be able to do so; etc...). if anyone *cough*iczer*cough* has any ideas, fell free to help me out with this one. any help is vastly appreciated. :D

Heh heh.

That's almost props.

Rotation
"You scratch my back and I'll scratch...oh wait...I'll just scratch mine"

The character has the unnusual ability to create tiny portals along his body. these portals can appear virtually anywhere on the character's body, allowing that section to rotate, typically across the long axis, without harm or biological discomfort. This allows for a number of unique abilities.
1) Double jointed: the character, by forming these portals across his body, can now bend his body in new and unnusual directions. He can spin his head more than 360 degrees, rotate an elbow to facilitate reaching behind oneself etcetera. the character functions as if he were effectively double jointed (refer to the mutation of the same name).
2) Combat benefits. the ability to perform such an unnusual feat allows for several bonuses in combat. He recieves +4 to roll with punch (but not falls or impacts) by simply rolling the stuck portion along the length of the blow. By rotating his head in combat, he can keep aprised of numerous opponents, gaining +2 to initiative and the ability to defend himself from all directions (as long as he is aware and prepared for such an event. if he does not suspect a freind to be stabbing him in the back, then it remains a surprise when it happens). In addition, such flexibility grants a +4 to escape from holds and grapples. the speed at which he spins grant a +2 to parry incoming attacks.
3) On an offensive note: The ability to throw more distance and torque into his swings, allows him to perform mighty windups. The spining action, while nowhere near as powerful as the spinning power, is sufficient to add 2d6 to all attacks performed with his body, or with melee weapons. The rapid twisting and spinning motion adds +1 attack per melee.
4) Other benefits: The character automatically takes 1/3rd damage (or none) from damage involving twisting and wrenching (such as having ones head twisted off). the character can avoid dizziness by spinning his head contrary to the direction of spin.

Batts:
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Buttocks That Double As Throwing Stars:

It's a minor power.
They do 2d4 SDC each.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

Iczer wrote:
brannigan's law wrote:if this makes any sense, i was thinking of a (probably minor) power today while i was organizing some of my old action figures. the basic details are: the power would allow you to rotate your body with an unlimited range of flexibility. for example, you could rotate your upper body at a fairly high speed(not spin at high velocity speed, but at a good speed nonetheless), while your lower body remained stationary. you could do it with your other body parts as well and get some fairly interesting results(spinning a sword in hand to create a somewhat effective shield, much the same as the newer version of heman, in which EVERY character seemed to be able to do so; etc...). if anyone *cough*iczer*cough* has any ideas, fell free to help me out with this one. any help is vastly appreciated. :D

Heh heh.

That's almost props.

Rotation
"You scratch my back and I'll scratch...oh wait...I'll just scratch mine"

The character has the unnusual ability to create tiny portals along his body. these portals can appear virtually anywhere on the character's body, allowing that section to rotate, typically across the long axis, without harm or biological discomfort. This allows for a number of unique abilities.
1) Double jointed: the character, by forming these portals across his body, can now bend his body in new and unnusual directions. He can spin his head more than 360 degrees, rotate an elbow to facilitate reaching behind oneself etcetera. the character functions as if he were effectively double jointed (refer to the mutation of the same name).
2) Combat benefits. the ability to perform such an unnusual feat allows for several bonuses in combat. He recieves +4 to roll with punch (but not falls or impacts) by simply rolling the stuck portion along the length of the blow. By rotating his head in combat, he can keep aprised of numerous opponents, gaining +2 to initiative and the ability to defend himself from all directions (as long as he is aware and prepared for such an event. if he does not suspect a freind to be stabbing him in the back, then it remains a surprise when it happens). In addition, such flexibility grants a +4 to escape from holds and grapples. the speed at which he spins grant a +2 to parry incoming attacks.
3) On an offensive note: The ability to throw more distance and torque into his swings, allows him to perform mighty windups. The spining action, while nowhere near as powerful as the spinning power, is sufficient to add 2d6 to all attacks performed with his body, or with melee weapons. The rapid twisting and spinning motion adds +1 attack per melee.
4) Other benefits: The character automatically takes 1/3rd damage (or none) from damage involving twisting and wrenching (such as having ones head twisted off). the character can avoid dizziness by spinning his head contrary to the direction of spin.

Batts:

oh, make no mistake, it's MAD props, iczer.

and yeah, the power's friggin awesome. :D
just reminds me of the scene in wild wild west when will smith hit the bad guy and he just spun around from the impact.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”