Something you might enjoy

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MikePGS
D-Bee

Something you might enjoy

Unread post by MikePGS »

R Ditto
Hero
Comment: It is hard to be alone. I was 18 when dad died, 38 when mom died. No grand kids or daughter in law for mom. Why, God, why?

Unread post by R Ditto »

Ok, that was a brain stopper.

On a humorous yet related side note, I once heard that some trouble almost happened once because someone actually thought that The Onion was a legitimate news source.
Never Give Up, Never Lose Hope, Never Surrender!
The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance!!
Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse.
Dr. Watson; Proving that being wrong is one step closer to being right.
It is hard being alone.
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

The Onion can actually prove to be a small gold mine of adventure ideas for the 'extra cheese' kind of HU game.
It is all done with tongue planted firmly in cheek, and hits the right tone, more or less, for introducing absolutely ridiculous farce into the game, just to blow off some steam and have some fun.

An example of the sort of idiocy that transpires just after a great battle (which took a few hours and was kind of a brain drain at times).. my old monday night gaming group would engage in pun contests.. nobody said anything to start these contests off.. but they usually ended when we all started groaning and pleading for mercy.
8-)
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

The National Inquirer is also a good source of potential game ideas. I used to plunder this 'legitimate' newspaper mostly for BtS ideas, but it works for HU as well.
As a prop, I once cut-and-pasted Washington Post and The Star, mixing and matching photos and articles. The Death of Superman had made the news at that time, so I just had to use that also.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

Sentinel wrote:The National Inquirer is also a good source of potential game ideas. I used to plunder this 'legitimate' newspaper mostly for BtS ideas, but it works for HU as well.
As a prop, I once cut-and-pasted Washington Post and The Star, mixing and matching photos and articles. The Death of Superman had made the news at that time, so I just had to use that also.

Anyone remember Men In Black where K is searching the tabloids for leads?

With the right choice of fonts and a little imagination, you can whip out a pretty decent facsimile of a newspaper in something like Word, PrintShop, and QuarkXpress (my personal favorite, but a little hard to get hold of unless you're in the print media business)... I did one for a Blood Bowl league in RL a few years ago.

Hmmm... I think I am inspired. Darkwind may be getting a 'Deadly Future' present. :ok:
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
Sentinel
Palladin

There was a tabloid style paper that came with Boxed Nightmares, the old BtS sourcebook (1st ed.). Be nice if that saw a 2nd Ed treatment.
MiB was a sidesplitting classic. Too bad MiB II didn't live up to its' potential.

Sentinel
Palladin

Whiz Kid wrote:
R Ditto wrote:On a humorous yet related side note, I once heard that some trouble almost happened once because someone actually thought that The Onion was a legitimate news source.

Yeah, it had to do with the 'hot topic' of gay maraige. A 'family values' group quoted an Onion article that talked about how the gay were cloes to completing thier so-called 'agenda.' It's not just that they were quoting it, but that they were using it as actual proof why people should not support gay marraige.

Personally, I'm not sure what all this 'agenda' stuff is about. Nothing about it was in my welcome packet.

I think their secret agenda is to be accepted by society on the whole.
Pretty insidious, I know.
They actually want respect and equality: Scandalous.

Sentinel
Palladin

That's certainly my agenda.
And I'm a Christian.
But, I keep forgetting I'm supposed to hate gays (okay, I'm a bad Christian, but as I have said before, Jesus demands devotion: not perfection).

Sentinel
Palladin

Whiz Kid wrote:
Sentinel wrote:That's certainly my agenda.
And I'm a Christian.
But, I keep forgetting I'm supposed to hate gays (okay, I'm a bad Christian, but as I have said before, Jesus demands devotion: not perfection).

And that makes you my favorite kind of Christian. :ok:

Believe me: if I go door-to-door, it'll be to hand out comics.
Or for Trick-or-Treat.

Uncle Servo
Champion

gadrin wrote:
Uncle Servo wrote:With the right choice of fonts and a little imagination, you can whip out a pretty decent facsimile of a newspaper in something like Word, PrintShop, and QuarkXpress (my personal favorite, but a little hard to get hold of unless you're in the print media business)...

is that how you did your ServoDynamics Logo ?

Actually, the SD logo was done in Adobe Illustrator, a vector-based drawing program, and converted to .gif format in Adobe PhotoShop.

PrintShop is a layout program for desktop publishing. Quark is a more business-oriented layout program used by print houses, newspapers, ad agencies, etc. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the HU books are laid out in Quark.

And speaking of newspapers, here's the 'fake front page' I comped out for Darkwind's 'Deadly Future' campaign. Enjoy.
Sentinel
Palladin

Uncle Servo wrote:
gadrin wrote:
Uncle Servo wrote:With the right choice of fonts and a little imagination, you can whip out a pretty decent facsimile of a newspaper in something like Word, PrintShop, and QuarkXpress (my personal favorite, but a little hard to get hold of unless you're in the print media business)...

is that how you did your ServoDynamics Logo ?

Actually, the SD logo was done in Adobe Illustrator, a vector-based drawing program, and converted to .gif format in Adobe PhotoShop.

PrintShop is a layout program for desktop publishing. Quark is a more business-oriented layout program used by print houses, newspapers, ad agencies, etc. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the HU books are laid out in Quark.

And speaking of newspapers, here's the 'fake front page' I comped out for Darkwind's 'Deadly Future' campaign. Enjoy.

That was very cool Servo.
You should do a Time magazine type of cover.

Uncle Servo
Champion

Darkwind wrote:
Uncle Servo wrote:And speaking of newspapers, here's the 'fake front page' I comped out for Darkwind's 'Deadly Future' campaign. Enjoy.

:ok: :ok:

Very nice. You added some stuff and corrected the date. I can't wait to see it on my computer at home. Looking at things from work sucks. Everything is always dark and hard to see. It looks good from here, I know it will look great at home! ;-}

Glad you approve. :ok:

If you can squint hard enough, you'll see that the body text is Cassidy's dialogue during the broadcast in the opening post. There are also some subtle 'in-jokes' and a very subtle attempt to give DeWolfe something to gripe about in his pirated broadcast (two of the three front page stories are continued inside the paper -- but not the 'side-note' mention of Armstrong).

Oh, and you should see a few familiar images in the 'top-of-the-page' ads... I couldn't resist. ;)
Uncle Servo
Champion

Darkwind wrote:
Uncle Servo wrote:If you can squint hard enough, you'll see that the body text is Cassidy's dialogue during the broadcast in the opening post.

Yep, I pointed that out to the wife when I showed her the draft you sent me. She kept asking me to zoom in on it. I found out she was trying to read the stories. heh heh. I told her then it was just the intro post used over and over for each.

When you finally get around to watching your The Incredibles DVD, pause the part where Bob is in the kitchen reading the newspaper article about Gazerbeam's disappearance. That particular article is a bona-fide story, but the rest of the text copy in the paper is filler that details Insuricare's policy of dropping clients if they ever file a claim.

Yes, I'm one of those types who search Pixar movies for the 'inside jokes' and hidden references. Mega-geek points, come to Daddy... :lol:

Darkwind wrote:I might have to replace the old image on the front of the Yahoo Group with this one. ;-}

Wow. I'm flattered. That would bring my count of header images used on Yahoo group sites to 3 (only one of which is my own).

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”