Silliest Thing or Things in Rifts

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

most of the nitpicking debates that go on here, but its fun to get some of them worked up even if i know i'm wrong
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Mech-Viper wrote:most of the nitpicking debates that go on here, but its fun to get some of them worked up even if i know i'm wrong

Such a mean man: I bet you tease the gorillas in the monkey-house too.
:lol:
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Sentinel wrote:
Mech-Viper wrote:most of the nitpicking debates that go on here, but its fun to get some of them worked up even if i know i'm wrong

Such a mean man: I bet you tease the gorillas in the monkey-house too.
:lol:
i dont tense anything that can rip my arms off or any other part of my body, but when people start nitpicking words then mister nice guy is over
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Sentinel
Palladin

Re: Silliest Thing or Things in Rifts

Gheralt HellWalker wrote:Ok I had to start this thread to get opinions on what the most out of whack or lame thing you have seen in rifts.

For me it would have to be the Anti Vampire Weapons on Page 60 of the Coalition Wars, Siege on Tolkeen: Chapter One. An example for those that don't have the book or are drawing a blank on what I am talking about would be the TW Vampire Water Field. Its a backpack that when activated by PPE or ISP basically turns into a portable shower so Vampires don't want to touch you :lol: There are allot more examples of this kind of tech on the aforementioned Page.

Vampires can wear clothing to make this whole thing less effective.
I like the water vulnerability, although, I agree it has gotten out of hand. I'm thinking about making it naturally occuring running water, as in rivers and streams, and rain. At least, they aren't vulnerable to Lasers just because they're light-based though.

So whats gets your goat?

Mega Damage.

Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

The Game System, particularly the Combat System.

I'll explain further if I have to. :-P
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Psi-Cola. Ugh.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Okay, gotta agree with the Carpet of Adhesion spell. As is, it's pretty ridiculous...
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Floopers.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
DhAkael
Knight

Crazy...

Unread post by DhAkael »

The "Black Vault" for Rifts adventures;
The most dangerous..the most lethal TW device in the known world which requires a guard contingent the exact same size as the CS standing army (check the numbers) is... ...is...
The Technowizard can-opener!
What the...?!? :badbad:
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Re: Crazy...

DhAkael wrote:The "Black Vault" for Rifts adventures;
The most dangerous..the most lethal TW device in the known world which requires a guard contingent the exact same size as the CS standing army (check the numbers) is... ...is...
The Technowizard can-opener!
What the...?!? :badbad:

4 companies is not the standing coalition army size man, but for the dangerous item in question

"so what in the crate we are gaurding? ":-?
"i dont know maybe some dangerous magic weapons" :-x

"Alright, you two load that crate of can openers up" :badbad:

"W T H" :nh:
" yup, its a dangerous weapon" :frazz:
"you get kissed" :frazz:
"No, but i know what we got" :nh:

The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

The core magic rules.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

how about lord splyncrtyh (sp) having the pick pocket skill?
Drakenred®™©
Champion

Unread post by Drakenred®™© »

Floopers

Nuf said
冠双
Danger
Champion

Unread post by Danger »

I could never get past Mike Long's penchant for nipples in his art.

He must be friends with the director of the last two Batman movies...
Sentinel
Palladin

shieldbreaker wrote:for me, it's some of the early tw weapons and some of the new west weapons, most notably the "cactus juicer" can't quite remember what it is actually called, as I don't have the book in front of me, but these were some of the most dissappointing weapons I have seen. As a Gm, I couldn't even give them away :lol:

I take it you never saw the Laser Bow in Spirit West?

Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

Okay, I usually don't contribute to these threads, but...

I gotta agree with some of these: Glitter Girls (why not Glitter Grrls?), cliches (England, the West, Japan), Floopers, Psi-Cola...

But also:

Psi-X Aliens (the truth is really familiar looking)
The CWC-era armors (sometimes they come out looking *really* cartoony)
Crazy head cylinders
Sunaj (Janus spelled backwards?! Say it ain't so!!!1!)
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Unread post by (SHIFTY) »

All the ninja variants in the japan book. Can we get more original.
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

A) MDC everywhere - the original spirit of the game is long gone - now you have to be MDC or be extinct (unless you houserule it)

B) The MDC system. I really don't think it sohuld be 1/100. In my games 1/10 works just fine. But I still think a Damage Resistance system would be better than the clunky and unelegant AR system.

C) Disproportionate damage. Let me get this straight - my 4 lb laser rifle does as much damage as that 60 ton super-tank's main gun?

D) Cliche's (Rifts England, Glitter Girls, MDC Kangaroos, and so forth)

E) "World Books" that offer next to no setting info - like England and Africa - both THE worst books Palladim has put forth - my god they are bad.
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

MDC cowboy hats.

MDC hide and SDC innards (pass me the salt and the lightsabre, please)

a backyard chop-shop crazy with enormous coke-can sized implants is just as nutty as one that was professionally done by an experienced cyber-doc with state-of-the-art implants. (huh? these are brand new and implanted by the Angel no less! What do you mean I don't get to save?)

MDC arm, SDC headhunter. 'Hey joe, can you pick that up? oops.. joe just tore hisself in two'

Hand weapons that do as much or more damage than the main gun of a tank (JA-12 vs just about every MBT out there except the sovietski, Naruni and the megaversal legion)

The original 2-attacks-per-melee for magic (now thankfully overtaken by PPE channelling)

The fact that the more interesting (read human-equivalent) D-bee races are only found in one book: CWC

SDC wild psi-stalkers numbering in the tens of thousands versus their 'natural' prey, MDC and supernaturally strong creatures. Even if one were brought down, only one psi stalker could feed, so what's the point of this 'tribe' business?

A lack of communications between most 'civilised' areas, and yet there are hover-cycles that could traverse the distance in an hour or two, unmolested.

The CS employing the military tactics of your average five-year-old

The CS in SoT being described as 'having no experience in fighting magic', when that's one of the first things they train for at boot camp.

Speaking of SoT, a perfectly normal human RPA ace flying an Icarus flight system (lemme just do a turn..*crack*.. ow! My spine is broken! I don't even have the reflexes to keep something so unstable in the air anyway!)

The Romanov/Kolodenko romance. Guess who's gonna be on top come the wedding? (I mean, he's purely human and she's a 10-foot-tall Heavy Machine)

Borgs with any sort of defining sexuality (one way or another) a-la the cyber-slinger II. Fer crissake, you're a brain in a jar wrapped in metal. Your choice, get over it!

Brodkil that trade their invisibility, healing, and supernatural strength for bionic limbs and partial conversion that has to be fixed, can't go invisible, and has cybernetic (or at best robotic) strength.

And on, and on, and on......
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

The Formless One wrote:Super Monkey Ninja Space Pirates!

Lassie the Nazi!

Alien Ants from Mars!

Robotic Horses!

Ah. I love RIFTS. I gotta be careful around this place, I've already got three games that're coming to form and I don't need more! :lol::D

ALL RIGHT! One more crack about dog boys and you an I are going outside! :x

Just kidding... Mostly. :-P
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

People that gripe about crap that they don't take the time to try and understand (hint hint, there are a few that have posted to this thread)...but I digress.

Phaseworld...and people gripe about what CJ Carella created, HAH!

Werewolves being nothing more than supernatural predators. I wish Palladium had taken more of an Underworld approach to it. Don't even get me started on the NB Weres from the Rifters...

The ranged combat system (I have since house ruled this problem away).

The lack of some of the useful features found in other Palladium products (like the perception system). I don't want to have to buy ANOTHER core book just to get a useful game mechanic or two...

I'd better just stop, or this post will run on for pages.

Just for the record, despite what gripes I have with the system, Rifts is by far the best RPG I've ever played.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me

Return to “Rifts®”