Can Vampires survive a Sphere of Annhilation?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Can Annhiliate kill Vampires?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:40 pm

Yup, The spell annhiliates everything leaving nothing to regenerate later.
64%
Nope, It's still just magic, which can't kill Vampires unless a stake is involved.
36%

Total votes: 44

Kelorin
Adventurer
Location: Aboard the USS Lexington, flagship of the New Navy Atlantic Fleet

Can Vampires survive a Sphere of Annhilation?

Unread post by Kelorin »

The description of the spell states that if the damage inflicted by the spell exceeds the MDC / HP of a given target, the target is atomized or vaporized with nothing remaining.

I realize that magic normally will only inflict half damage to Vampires, but a spell that does even half of 2D4x100 damage to them has a good chance of depleting all of the Undead's HP in 1 attack.

So do vampires get vaporized, and then reappear and regenerate elsewhere, or will this kill them permanently?
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

I say yes.
Then again, I say the same thing about Desiccate the Supernatural.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Sentinel
Palladin

Annihilation

Unread post by Sentinel »

I rule that Annihilate will destroy a vampire.
Others may disagree. There is nothing that I could find officially that supports me one way or another, I admit.
Hitting the vamp might not be easy though: they aren't exactly slow moving targets.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Kelorin
Adventurer

Unread post by Kelorin »

Lunarix wrote:if it is vaporized then there would be nothing left to regenerate.

See, personally I'm inclined to agree with you, but there is this little stipulation in WB1: Vampire Kingdoms about Magic that states: Mega-Damage magic energy inflicts half damage direct to hit points, but while the magic can hurt or incapitate, it cannot kill them.
Sentinel
Palladin

Kelorin wrote:
Lunarix wrote:if it is vaporized then there would be nothing left to regenerate.

See, personally I'm inclined to agree with you, but there is this little stipulation in WB1: Vampire Kingdoms about Magic that states: Mega-Damage magic energy inflicts half damage direct to hit points, but while the magic can hurt or incapitate, it cannot kill them.

When that desription was written, there was no spell of the sheer destructive power of Annihilate.
I say the description needs an update to cover all the magic spells that exist now, that didn't exist then (like Dessicate the Supernatural).

cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Now THIS is a real Brainbender.

I'll get back to you on this one, as there are two conflicting Princples here, but I HAVE found precedents to support the Position that I'm thinking of (have to step out for a little while)......
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

Unread post by GaredBattlespike »

I answered No, it will not permanently kill a Vampire because; If the a Vamp is staked in the heart and then beheaded, it only has a 50%/50% chance of being destroyed. The description states that if the beheading fails, then the head magically re-forms even if the head was destroyed by fire or water. If this is what a Vamp can regenerate from(a truely near-destruction experience) then it can re-form from the ether as a whole body, just as the above example re-creates the entire head.
"Save ARCHIE, save the world..."
-----------------------------
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-
(Demon 1):Woah, the hell happened to you?
(Demon 2):got my ass kicked by some guy with a knife and a handgun
(Demon 1):What? you gotta be kidding me!
(Demon 2):Thats what i was thinking...

anapuna wrote:
i rarely play a mage, but when i do... i do what GaredBattlespike does.

or i am a TW.
Kelorin
Adventurer

Unread post by Kelorin »

GaredBattlespike wrote:I answered No, it will not permanently kill a Vampire because; If the a Vamp is staked in the heart and then beheaded, it only has a 50%/50% chance of being destroyed. The description states that if the beheading fails, then the head magically re-forms even if the head was destroyed by fire or water. If this is what a Vamp can regenerate from(a truely near-destruction experience) then it can re-form from the ether as a whole body, just as the above example re-creates the entire head.

Based on current available information, this is also is a reasonable position.

However, consider this: After a nuclear detonation, targets would be vaporized or atomized. And by atomized I mean reduced to stray atoms, molecules or particles. This technically leaves something remaining for a Vampire to regenerate from. Sphere of Annhiliate is quite specific in stating that anything destroyed by it leaves nothing behind. No particles, no atoms, no tertiary gamma radiation, nothing, nada, zippo.

So really the crux of my question is this: Does Sphere of Annhiliation really obliterate everything? or just everything except vampires and werewolves?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I have to say it regenreates.

the fact that there's nothing left to regerate is irrelevant. the RCC's power remains.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Sentinel
Palladin

thelazarus6942 wrote:
Illithid13 wrote:I'm going with the "Nothing left to regenerate, so its destroyed" bit.

Strangely I have to say they regen.
I mean if an atomic blast wouldn't kill it, I don't see why this would.
But that is just my Op so choose what you want.

The atomic blast isn't magical.
Annihilate is.

Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

If the body is destroyed, there is nothing to regenerate, and if I recall correctly, the Palladium vamp still needs a certain minimum amount of body to regenerate.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

I say the Vampire dodges the Annihilate spell and takes no damage.

:D :D :D :D

Otherwise, I agree with Freefall & others. The magic reduces them to vapor, and they can naturally turn into a vaporous form themselves. So, it stands to reason that they could pull themselves back together after being forced into that state. It would probably just take a longer amount of time for them to do so.
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Kelorin wrote:
GaredBattlespike wrote:I answered No, it will not permanently kill a Vampire because; If the a Vamp is staked in the heart and then beheaded, it only has a 50%/50% chance of being destroyed. The description states that if the beheading fails, then the head magically re-forms even if the head was destroyed by fire or water. If this is what a Vamp can regenerate from(a truely near-destruction experience) then it can re-form from the ether as a whole body, just as the above example re-creates the entire head.

However, consider this: After a nuclear detonation, targets would be vaporized or atomized. And by atomized I mean reduced to stray atoms, molecules or particles. This technically leaves something remaining for a Vampire to regenerate from. Sphere of Annhiliate is quite specific in stating that anything destroyed by it leaves nothing behind. No particles, no atoms, no tertiary gamma radiation, nothing, nada, zippo.

So really the crux of my question is this: Does Sphere of Annhiliation really obliterate everything? or just everything except vampires and werewolves?
Not only does the Vampire survive the Sphere, HE IS COMPLETELY UNTOUCHED/UNAFFECTED BY IT. HERE'S WHY:

The Spell, "Annihilation," is SPECIFICALLY stated to work as follows:

1]] The MAGIC either conjures up or brings from another Physical Dimension TO THE MAGE, a "small" amount of Antimatter.

2]] The Magic ALSO separates the Antimatter from the Matter outside the Sphere; these same Magic Forces act in much the same manner as the Magnetic Bottles that we use to contain Antimatter IRL.

3]] The Mage tosses the Globe, which releases its Payload on contact or up to 500 feet away.

4]] The usual Matter/Antimatte Interaction takes place. For the record, the Potential Energy Release is significantly greater than e=mc², but I forgot the Equation.

5]] APART FROM THE MAGICAL FORCES STOPPING THE EXPLOSION FROM SPREADING LIKE A NORMAL INTERACTION WOULD (which makes In-Game sense; otherwise, this could only be a Suicide Spell as the Mage couldn't POSSIBLY evade his own handiwork in time unless he already had an open Portal behind him when he cast his Spell), THERE IS NOTHING REPEAT NOTHING INHERENTLY MAGICAL ABOUT THE ANTIMATTER ITSELF.

Therefore, the Vampire is TOTALLY immune to the Aftereffects of this Spell, the same way he is to ALL other non-magical energies apart from Sunlight...

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I have to go with both Cornholio and Freefall on this one.
It probably wouldn't affect them at all, but if it DID, then they could regenerate from being "vaporized."
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Vampires turn to mist (vapor) on a regular basis.

Annoyed but very much alive.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

The "Annihilate" spell summons a ball of anti-mater. So we have a mater/anti-mater explosion (no magical energy, since the magic was used for summoning). The vampire will survive this explosion.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

He's survive.

Inside the smuldering crater that is left would be a vampire laughing. Takes no damage, and is unhindered by the spell (there than possibly tripping over the edge of the crater).

Reasons stated by Corn and Free are why.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Judas
Dungeon Crawler
Location: England when summoned otherwise Hell, where I burn well.

Unread post by Judas »

They'd live as stated by Cornholio and Freefall.
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."
-- Matthew 7:15
"Every girl looks good in the dark."
--Faraday's Law# 99

"A myth can die, but a legend is forever"

GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

Unread post by GaredBattlespike »

I had forgotten that the Spell summons a non-magical effect(Anti-Matter), and so should cause no damage to the Vampire(beside obliterating the wardrobe and all accessories like money,magic items...). That is my (very slightly) revised opinion.
"Save ARCHIE, save the world..."
-----------------------------
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-
(Demon 1):Woah, the hell happened to you?
(Demon 2):got my ass kicked by some guy with a knife and a handgun
(Demon 1):What? you gotta be kidding me!
(Demon 2):Thats what i was thinking...

anapuna wrote:
i rarely play a mage, but when i do... i do what GaredBattlespike does.

or i am a TW.
Sentinel
Palladin

While this is merely my opinion, and not a canonical rules statement, I feel that the vampire should be blown away totally by this spell.
To do anything else to me, is like making the vampire into a creature with the power of a god.
Saying a vampire could survive this spell is like saying Dracula has the equivalent survivability of a god like Zeus. Sorry, I don't like my vampires that powerful.
Killing them with squirt guns is ridiculous, and I've said so.
Letting them live through annihilate is also ludicrous.

Defender_X
Explorer

Unread post by Defender_X »

I'd say yes, it's a level 14 spell. It's not something most groups will have very early in a campaign. From a role-playing aspect, the vampire's reaction when he or she realizes what it is would be a moment I couldn't pass up.
I get that many attacks with my beam cannons?!
Kelorin
Adventurer

Unread post by Kelorin »

My PC group doesn't have the spell either, but in the campaign I'm running involves a possible covert smuggling operation to get vampires into Kingsdale. While the PC's don't have the spell, there would be several high level NPC mages in Kingsdale, that could have it. Considering the number of vampires potentially involved, there could be a lot of NPC groups combating the undead leeches here and there while the PC's go after the master.

I wanted to get the opinion of other members of the board before the situation presents itself.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Defender_X wrote:I'd say yes, it's a level 14 spell. It's not something most groups will have very early in a campaign. From a role-playing aspect, the vampire's reaction when he or she realizes what it is would be a moment I couldn't pass up.
Level of the Spell in Question has NOTHING to do with how it affects a Vampire, only the description of how the Spell works....

In fact, in Rifts, Spell Levels actually mean very little when you think about it, and unless your particular (Magic Based) O.C.C./R.C.C. is based on automatically gaining Level X Spells when you Reach Level Y as a Mage, then the Spell Level System in Rifts doesn't really mean anything at all, except in PPE Cost....

Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Sentinel wrote:While this is merely my opinion, and not a canonical rules statement, I feel that the vampire should be blown away totally by this spell.
To do anything else to me, is like making the vampire into a creature with the power of a god.
Saying a vampire could survive this spell is like saying Dracula has the equivalent survivability of a god like Zeus. Sorry, I don't like my vampires that powerful.

Vampires aren't gods, but they are supposed to be a formidable and feared force. There are already several easy & well known ways to kill them. Annihilate just isn't one of em.

If it were, what would stop some mage or group of mages from marching into Mexico and handing all the vampires their asses with Annihilate spells tossed all over the place? Reason: They can't. Annihilate either doesn't work, or at best it would only slow the vampires down.

cornholioprime wrote:Level of the Spell in Question has NOTHING to do with how it affects a Vampire, only the description of how the Spell works....

Gotta agree with CHP on this. Some of the most powerful spells in the game aren't close to 14th lvl. Carpet of Adhesion anyone?

And besides, you can't kill a Vampire with this anyways. Why? He dodges the Annihilate and takes NO damage. :D
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Which is why my PCs who use magic hit the things with Desiccate the Supernatural, and don't bother with much else {except for spells that summon rain, or Globe of Daylight}.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Benito Pulatso
Explorer

Unread post by Benito Pulatso »

We always avoided these sort of questions by turning Vampires and Werewolves into MDC creatures, while retaining their vulnerablities (and extremely fast regeneration). After all, Van Helsing didn't have a laser to shoot at Dracula, but we (my playing group) reasoned that if he did, the book would have been a lot shorter.
Sentinel
Palladin

Danger wrote:
Vampires aren't gods, but they are supposed to be a formidable and feared force.

I feel that if it's powerful enough to hurt a god, vampires ought not have a chance. But, if Annihilate were not a spell, I would feel differently about this example.
I think that while vampires do have a good number of specific vulnerabilities, they need to not ever be impervious to anything that can kill a god.

If it were, what would stop some mage or group of mages from marching into Mexico and handing all the vampires their asses with Annihilate spells tossed all over the place? Reason:

There just aren't many mages with this spell.
It's a costly PPE attack to use on vampires, and there are more efficient ways to kill them besides.I'd be teaming up with my Warlock buddies, and having them create wood while I telekinesis the stakes at them, and maybe someone can bring down some rain.

Dr. Doom III
Knight

darkbrandon wrote:He's survive.

Inside the smuldering crater that is left would be a vampire laughing. Takes no damage, and is unhindered by the spell (there than possibly tripping over the edge of the crater).

Well you did totally ruin his tux. :)
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
dark brandon
Knight

Dr. Doom III wrote:
darkbrandon wrote:He's survive.

Well you did totally ruin his tux. :)

AND FOR THAT I MUST DIE!!!
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Judas
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Judas »

Freefall wrote:
Sentinel wrote:While this is merely my opinion, and not a canonical rules statement, I feel that the vampire should be blown away totally by this spell.

If you're using mundane weapons, they are actually tougher than Zeus. Gods are generally not immune to normal weapons. Even a Wilk's Laser Pistol will inflict damage to a god, just not very much compared to their MDC total. Vampires don't get hurt at all. Zeus would also be harmed by a nuclear explosion, while a vampire wouldn't be hurt at all (and a nuclear explosion is considerably more powerful than an Annihilate spell). A Doombringer Dreadnaught could probably destroy most gods if they decided to fight it head on (Ares might do something like that), but it could not even hurt a vampire.

I agree that the extremeness of their invulnerability is pretty silly (it specifically says they can survive nuclear blasts), but that is the official take, and Annihilate is, by the rules, not actually a magical attack. If it was there might be some room for argument, but it's not. And really, while it is certainly the most powerful spell in the game (damage-wise), and more powerful than most attacks, it doesn't actually do that much damage (relatively speaking). Average 500 MD, maximum 800 MD. Nice, but certainly not enough to kill any god with one hit. Zeus would take a minimum of 125 of these to die (on Olympus, and that's if you manage to roll 125 4's). Even on Rifts Earth it would take at least 25 (again, requiring you to roll 25 4's at the same time or consecutively). Even some of the weakest adult dragons would take at least two hits to kill, and the toughest at least 10. Also, compared to some tech it isn't that great. Nuclear bombs obviously do much more, but so do a lot of the starship mounted lasers and cruise missiles and such in Phase World, as well as the NGR Misfit.

It's a pretty good spell and all, but it certainly isn't the be-all-end-all of damaging attacks in the Megaverse.

A bit off topic but since it isn't a magical attack it brings into light a number of magics that may not hurt vamps:

while it is certainly the most powerful spell in the game (damage-wise), and more powerful than most attacks,
not entirley true but does bring me on to my nxt question, does the Earth warlock spell earthquake affect vampires (A whopping 2D6x100 damage, and I know it won't "kill them") because and I may not be right hear but doesn't it work along the same principle, the magic causes a earthquake, but the earthquake in itself is not magical, same principle different spell? What do you think :?
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."
--Faraday's Law# 99

Dead Boy
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Eternal Defender of C.S. Righteous Indignation
~
Adamant Advocate for the Last Best Hope for Uncorrupted Humanity
~
Stalwart Exponent of the C.S.’s Eminent Domain of Man
~
Arbiter of Coalition Dogma and the Precepts of Emperor Prosek

Unread post by Dead Boy »

Aside from Cornholio Prime's well though out reasoning of why the Annihilate spell's effects may not be "Magic" in the first place, even if it was magic the spell could not kill a Vampire, and here's why.

There are a few ways to kill a vampire ranging from a steak to the heart, to emersion in moving water, to death by silver. But in that list is a seldomly used method, that being decapitating the Vamp and burning the the head and body in two different pyres. If the Vamp is reduced to atoms by the Annihilate spell, this method's condition's are not met because the head and body were destroyed in the same blast. Because of this, the vampire could come back from virtual nothingness to seek retribution on the mage for ruining his favorite shoes.
From the author of The RCSG, Ft. Laredo & the E. St. Louis Rift in Rifter #37, The Coalition Edge in Rifter #42, New Chillicothe & the N.C. Burbs in Rifter #54, New Toys of the Coalition States in Rifter #57, and The Black-Malice Legacy in Rifters #63, 64 & (Pt. 3, TBA)

[img]x[/img]
jesse04
Wanderer

Unread post by jesse04 »

Dead Boy wrote:There are a few ways to kill a vampire ranging from ... to death by silver..

silver ?

Can't remind of it.

Dead Boy wrote: If the Vamp is reduced to atoms by the Annihilate spell, this method's condition's are not met because the head and body were destroyed in the same blast.

ISn't Sphere of Annihilation a mini black hole ?
If it's right, for me, the vampire is as good as dead ( huuu ? :D ).
Or let's say he can regenerated ...... in the middle of a black hole.

Anyway, it's always a problem on RPG, how a "supernatural feature can sustain an "infinite" (or let's say very high amount ) of energy such like a nuclear detonnation ? :P
Judas
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Judas »

jesse04 wrote:
Dead Boy wrote:There are a few ways to kill a vampire ranging from ... to death by silver..

silver ?

Can't remind of it.

Dead Boy wrote: If the Vamp is reduced to atoms by the Annihilate spell, this method's condition's are not met because the head and body were destroyed in the same blast.

ISn't Sphere of Annihilation a mini black hole ?

Anyway, it's always a problem on RPG, how a "supernatural feature can sustain an "infinite" (or let's say very high amount ) of energy such like a nuclear detonnation ? :P

Classic...Unstoppable force versus immovable object. :badbad:
--Faraday's Law# 99

Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Gonna go a bit further on this...

Unread post by Subjugator »

The sphere isn't even magic. It just has a magic container and is summoned by magic.
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
dark brandon
Knight

jesse04 wrote:ISn't Sphere of Annihilation a mini black hole ?

I know it's anti-matter, but i'm not sure if that's the same stuff that's in black holes.

If it come down to it, if you use the vampires the way they are built in Palladium, then yes, they will surivive. If you alter them, then that's completely up to you if they survive or not.

Every time I hear someone say a vampire being scared of a water gun, I constantly laugh cause i'm reminded of the time I sent my group on a vampire hunt. It was hilarity when they got close to the targets, they were pinned down by lazer beam fire (as water guns have poor range), and when they actually got close enough to peg a vampire, were surprised to see it wearing extreamly protective things like armor (not even EBA) and...rain coats.

Because...it's a game? There are zombies here? therefore, none of it is real, and real life laws and physics don't apply to creatures that are "supernatural"? Just a guess.
Kelorin
Adventurer

Unread post by Kelorin »

MattLing wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:
Kelorin wrote:

Not only does the Vampire survive the Sphere, HE IS COMPLETELY UNTOUCHED/UNAFFECTED BY IT. HERE'S WHY:

The Spell, "Annihilation," is SPECIFICALLY stated to work as follows:

1]] The MAGIC either conjures up or brings from another Physical Dimension TO THE MAGE, a "small" amount of Antimatter.

2]] The Magic ALSO separates the Antimatter from the Matter outside the Sphere; these same Magic Forces act in much the same manner as the Magnetic Bottles that we use to contain Antimatter IRL.

3]] The Mage tosses the Globe, which releases its Payload on contact or up to 500 feet away.

4]] The usual Matter/Antimatte Interaction takes place. For the record, the Potential Energy Release is significantly greater than e=mc², but I forgot the Equation.

5]] APART FROM THE MAGICAL FORCES STOPPING THE EXPLOSION FROM SPREADING LIKE A NORMAL INTERACTION WOULD (which makes In-Game sense; otherwise, this could only be a Suicide Spell as the Mage couldn't POSSIBLY evade his own handiwork in time unless he already had an open Portal behind him when he cast his Spell), THERE IS NOTHING REPEAT NOTHING INHERENTLY MAGICAL ABOUT THE ANTIMATTER ITSELF.

Therefore, the Vampire is TOTALLY immune to the Aftereffects of this Spell, the same way he is to ALL other non-magical energies apart from Sunlight...

So a magical Lighting Bolt won't hurt a vampire? After all it's just summoning a lighting bolt, which is a scientific phenomenon and won't hurt a vampire in nature...

That argument doesn't make any sense.

Well, this just opens up a whole new can of worms now, doesn't it. If you conclude that the 'antimatter' used in the spell is non-magical, and therefore vampires are completely immune to the effects, how many other spells could that potentially affect? Call Lightning, definitely. It is natural lightning after all, simply magically summoned and directed. One could say the same thing about Fireball, or Energy Bolt, or River of Lava. All are mundane energy attacks summoned and directed by magic. The energy itself is non-magical...

By this line of reasoning, what spells do affect Vampires? Which don't?
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Magical or not it still isn't one of the few things that can kill a vamp.
-George Orwell
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

MattLing wrote:So a magical Lighting Bolt won't hurt a vampire? After all it's just summoning a lighting bolt, which is a scientific phenomenon and won't hurt a vampire in nature...

That argument doesn't make any sense
Matt, MOST of the time when you have Physical Forces going up against Supernatural ones, it doesn't HAVE to make sense.

Let's put it another way: Vamps are COMPLETELY unaffected by Nuclear Explosions, and also the (non-magical) Matter/Anti-Matter reaction brought to bear by the "Annihilate" Spell NOT because they are "uber" Powerful, as some folks like to think, but SIMPLY BECAUSE THE RULES OF MAGIC THAT DEFINE THEM ALLOW THEIR SUPERNATURAL BODIES TO "IGNORE" MOST OF THE PHYSICAL/NATURAL EFFECTS HAPPENING AROUND THEM.

BTW, Matt, IF your Lightning Bolt Spell actually summons down a magical Bolt of Lightning, then the Vamp takes half Damage, direct to Hit Points, as normal; if, however, the summoned Bolt is NOT magical, then the Vampire's Supernatural Body simply ignores this Physical Effect like it does almost all others; and IF the Earthquake summons similar Magical Damage, then he takes the same Damage. And if he DOES, so what?? As created by the Author, the Vamp merely regenerates as usual.......
Last edited by cornholioprime on Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kelorin
Adventurer

Unread post by Kelorin »

Dr. Doom III wrote:Magical or not it still isn't one of the few things that can kill a vamp.

I think we have now adequately established that Annhiliate cannot kill Vampires. My question now is this. If the antimatter in this spell isn't 'magical', then not only doesn't not kill, it won't even damage them. If this is the case, then doesn't this mean that most magic based energy attacks would also not damage Vampires for the same reason?
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Kelorin wrote:
Dr. Doom III wrote:Magical or not it still isn't one of the few things that can kill a vamp.

I think we have now adequately established that Annhiliate cannot kill Vampires. My question now is this. If the antimatter in this spell isn't 'magical', then not only doesn't not kill, it won't even damage them. If this is the case, then doesn't this mean that most magic based energy attacks would also not damage Vampires for the same reason?
No, this is incorrect. Kevin DOES allow Magical Effects to harm Vampires at the rate of 1/2 the Spell's normal Damage, direct to Hit Points. But EVEN IF you get to vaporize a Vamp with a sufficiently powerful Spell, the Vamp would simply come back in the course of a few minutes, OR, if the Spell in Question is NOT repeat NOT an Area Effect Spell like the aforementioned Annihilate, then you've merely blasted huge hole in the Vamp's Body, which will similarly regenerate in only a few rounds.....

Judas
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Judas »

Kelorin wrote:

No not really, its all in the spell, Call lightning for example says in the spell description
This spell creates a lightning bolt

or fireball
The spell caster creates a large fire ball

It's in the description the thing about Annhilate is that it is holding & keeping the anti-matter in this reality, it summons it, very different from creating magical energy.
--Faraday's Law# 99

Danger
Champion

Unread post by Danger »

Gheralt HellWalker wrote:Vampires are cheesed out in the Rifts system. With that being said A Sphere of Annihilation is pure and utter destruction. If it touches you your gone. No traces left behind, see you, bye bye. Whether a vampire can be destroyed could be ran either way but to me if the vampire in your mind survives atleast change the name of the spell to Sphere of Almost- Annihilation then. :D

It's the Sphere of Almost Annihilation anyways. You can dodge it, and avoid taking any damage...
dark brandon
Knight

Re: What's the matter with anti-matter?

Pendharker wrote:That said, when a vampire is created a portion of the alien intelligence bonds to the host.

After the intell bonds with the host, it creates a whole new being. That new being can regenerate from nothing. It isn't the ashes that bring it back, or the vapor but the vampire intell and the magical connection it has with the host. As magic does not adhere to the rules of physics, just because there is nothing there, doesn't mean it can't be created.

In otherwords, the energy that is released when matter/anti-matter meet, could be said is magically recollected turned back into matter and formed back into the original host. The only way to severe the magical link is through the aformentioned ways.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Re: What's the matter with anti-matter?

Pendharker wrote:I thought this was a very thought provoking question, so I re-schooled myself on the Annihilate spell. It says that the spell syphons anti-matter from some other dimension and contains it in a sphere of magic. When the sphere is thrown and impacts its target, the anti-matter meets matter and a "magically contained matter/anti-matter explosion" takes place. When matter meets anti-matter, they are both converted into ENERGY and no longer exist as matter or substance. They used the term vaporized in the book, but the truth is it's not even vapor is left behind. It's like the difference between turning a brick into a fine powder and turning the same brick into a ray of light.

That said, when a vampire is created a portion of the alien intelligence bonds to the host. When a vampire is improperly killed, it can respawn. Even from ash it can respawn if it's killed incorrectly, right? Ash is still matter.

So, my conclusion is that since the essence (a form of spiritual energy, if you will) has to bond to a physical host in order to wander our plane of existence, then removing the host ENTIRELY would release the entity's hold, would it not? There is no longer any matter left to "bond" with. One could say that it could grab some dirt and grass and make a new vamp, but if that were the case the alien intelligence wouldn't need master vamps to go around creating new vampires now would it? It would just make them out of raw and random materials on its own.

So, in short, the vampire ceases to be in all physical respects and the essence loses its hold on the host - or any host for that matter.
Your analysis would be 100% spot-on, at least as conjecture, but for ONE thing:

Rift Vampires, as written/created by Siembieda, are immune to the vast majority of Magic Forces, let alone Physical ones. The Annihilate Spell would be COMPLETELY inneffective against the Vampire in the first place. Again, their Supernatural Bodies, subject only to the Rukes of Magic (as opposd to the Rules of Physics), will only respond to a select few Physical Frces and Magicks.

If it helps, then think of them as living, breathing Rune Weapons, but with more vulnerabilities, and NOT completely indestructible...

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Illithid13 wrote:
thelazarus6942 wrote:
Illithid13 wrote:I'm going with the "Nothing left to regenerate, so its destroyed" bit.

Strangely I have to say they regen.
I mean if an atomic blast wouldn't kill it, I don't see why this would.
But that is just my Op so choose what you want.

An atomic blast would just break it down to it's base atomic structure, leaving something left to regenerate. Anihlation magicly destroyes everything. Forget the constant matter/energy law of physics. Goes from something to nothing. Logic (and physics) cannot be applyed to magic...
Remember, Inllithid13, that Rifts Vamps are also COMPLETELY UNAFFECTED by Nuclear Explosions as well.....

NO Damage. (Rifts: Vampire Kingdoms pages 7 and 26)

Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

For simplicities sake, I would rule that all damage caused by magic spells is considered to be magic damage. In the event that Annihilate were cast on a vampire, yes it would do half total damage direct to hit points. It would not kill the vampire. Since even half damage would likely reduce the vampires hit points to zero it would simply have to start regening from zero. I might, since it is a very powerful spell, force the vampire to begin regening from negative numbers, and subtract hit points from the damage into the negatives. However even if the vampire was forced to begin regening from zero, or -300, the vampire is not destroyed.
:fool:
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Hold on a sec...

Unread post by Warwolf »

Danger wrote:It's the Sphere of Almost Annihilation anyways. You can dodge it, and avoid taking any damage...

Ok, now I have to post on this one. Sure, as long as you dodge the sphere you do not suffer direct damage. However, as long as the sphere impacts anything near you (including air molecules) the resulting anti-matter explosion will still deal the radius damage to you. Unless, of course, if you are somehow immune to energy and/or explosions (Like...I don't know...a vampire maybe?).
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Good point

Unread post by Subjugator »

Kelorin wrote:Well, this just opens up a whole new can of worms now, doesn't it. If you conclude that the 'antimatter' used in the spell is non-magical, and therefore vampires are completely immune to the effects, how many other spells could that potentially affect? Call Lightning, definitely. It is natural lightning after all, simply magically summoned and directed. One could say the same thing about Fireball, or Energy Bolt, or River of Lava. All are mundane energy attacks summoned and directed by magic. The energy itself is non-magical...

By this line of reasoning, what spells do affect Vampires? Which don't?

Good point - I guess I'd say that the sphere is magical, but that it is still insufficient to kill the vamp permanently. It's not one of the prescribed methods, therefore it won't work. It's not the same as decap and burn because he's not decapped first (though you WOULD have an argument if he was decapped immediately before the sphere hit - though even then I might disallow it because it wasn't a separate fire).

Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Danger
Champion

Re: Hold on a sec...

Unread post by Danger »

Warwolf wrote:
Danger wrote:It's the Sphere of Almost Annihilation anyways. You can dodge it, and avoid taking any damage...

Ok, now I have to post on this one. Sure, as long as you dodge the sphere you do not suffer direct damage. However, as long as the sphere impacts anything near you (including air molecules) the resulting anti-matter explosion will still deal the radius damage to you. Unless, of course, if you are somehow immune to energy and/or explosions (Like...I don't know...a vampire maybe?).

Actually.... No. The saving throw is Dodge. So, if you successfully dodge, ie. make your save, you take Zero damage. None. Nadda. Zip. :D

Just like if you successfully save against most magics, you are unaffected by them.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Will this help everyone out???

Rifts: Vampire Kingdoms, page 24, states that the ENTIRE Body will reform in 8 hours. No mention of either ashes or Mist being left behind in the aforementioned Paragraph.

Therefore, it stands to reason that EVEN IF you find some Artifact, Weapon, or Spell that does über Damage to Vamps, if you don't A]] Behead and Burn the separate parts of the Creature once you can; B]] Expose it to Sunlight; or C]] Immerse it in Running Water, then that particular Vamp will be back soon...........

So even if the "Annihilate" Spell were able to actually destroy the Vampire (and I still say that by its Spell Description it CANNOT), it didn't destroy the Vampire THE RIGHT WAY, and therefore the monster will rise again.....

Return to “Rifts®”