Parallel Dimension Temporal Shifting

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Parallel Dimension Temporal Shifting

Unread post by ZEN »

Parallel Dimension Temporal Shifting (P.D.T.S).
To avoid the nasty dynamics of time travel, while accomplishing exactly the same objectives, it is much easier to employ dimensional shifting rather than attempting to travel backwards or forwards in time in one's own dimension.
Theory: There are an infinate number of other dimensions with an infinate number of different states of being within those dimensions. As any variation is possible and it is also possible to navigate and cross over to specific alternate dimensions, so it must also be possible to cross over to parallel dimensions, which are exactly the same as the dimension of origin apart from small but significant differences.
Parallel dimensions that differ only in the current point in subjective history can therefore be travelled to, and to the perspective of the traveller, this is exactly the same as time travel apart from two very significant differences.
No Paradox.
It is inter-dimensional travel, there is no risk of altering the traveller's own time-line, although the dimension seems to be exactly the same as the traveller's home dimension, it is actually entirely seperate and individual, a divergent universe that exists parallel to the traveller's own universe. While every event in history will appear to be the same between the two dimensions, the parallel dimension has had those events occur either earlier or later than those same events taking place in the traveller's home dimension.
Parallel Self.
As the parallel dimension is an exact duplicate (aside from temporally) of the traveller's home dimension, there is a duplicate or parallel self in the parallel dimension that is destined to, or has already done, all the things the traveller is going to, or has already done.. while it is possible to meet this parallel self, even cause a seeming disaster by (for example) killing a parallel self.. this has no greater effect on the traveller than killing anyone else (though psychologists would definately argue about it).
Doubling.
It is possible to travel to a parallel dimension and steal an object, even invite a parallel self home to dinner. There will be two objects in the same dimension, these objects are temporally independant of each other and nothing dramatic happens when they come into contact with each other.
It is therefore possible to amass huge sums of money (but the notes will have duplicate serial numbers) or to have an army composed of the same individual (though there will be very slight differences between each parallel individual and each will be 'his own person').
One dimension, one time.
Any travel to the same parallel dimension is going to be to the same relative point in time and the traveller can not travel further back or forward in time in that same dimension. If the traveller decides to travel to a new time, they are travelling to a new parallel dimension.
It is possible to travel from a parallel dimension to an associated alternate dimension, such as when the traveller has caused the death of his parallel self, and then travels to an alternate dimension where he has no parallel self, or a parallel dimension where all the events that took place in the first parallel dimension did indeed happen, or are going to happen, but, the traveller arriving and the parallel self who is going to die are all new, seperate, parallel selves (even the traveller who arrives from another dimension!). In all instances there is only ever one time, only ever one real, original self, and any time spent in a parallel dimension also passes in the travellers home dimension, so, if the traveller spends a week in a parallel dimension, a week has passed when they arrive back in their home universe.
8-)
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Very nice, Megaverse Builder could have used this!

Carl
ImageImage
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Hey, did you glom this whole heartedly from GURPS Time Travel? :twisted:

It's been awhile, but that does look to be almost the exact same description used to describe time travel possiblities in different physical realms (depending on the GM's prefernece about the immutability of history, and how many times (s)he's seen Time Cop... :lol:
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Borast wrote:Hey, did you glom this whole heartedly from GURPS Time Travel? :twisted:

It's been awhile, but that does look to be almost the exact same description used to describe time travel possiblities in different physical realms (depending on the GM's prefernece about the immutability of history, and how many times (s)he's seen Time Cop... :lol:

I've never read GURPS time travel.. but if it's that close to what I came up with it must be fairly good.
8-)
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

Nice! I agree with Gadrin as well, this seems to sync up nicely with the Id Self temporal spell.
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”