Why

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

what I do know is, there isn't a Single Cop in jail in NYC for wrongful death of a formerly hostile Prisoner who surrendered and they Blew away into smitherines. .... None. now I demand that player be given a retrial with a competent Lawyer!

what it means for the team however, is that the pc is rogue or back on reduced pay.

even the cop that ADMITTED to Molesting and raping Amidou Dialo got released from Jail!
the pc would have to get charged with a crime that had mandatory Sentencing guidelines to get "Screwed"
csyphrett
Adventurer

Unread post by csyphrett »

The New York police/justice system is not known for its sterling qualities despite CSI:NY and Law and Order.
CES
Larsen
Adventurer

Unread post by Larsen »

the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. -Thomas Jefferson
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Gomen_Nagai wrote:what I do know is, there isn't a Single Cop in jail in NYC for wrongful death of a formerly hostile Prisoner who surrendered and they Blew away into smitherines. .... None. now I demand that player be given a retrial with a competent Lawyer!

Uh... how many cases do you now about where a Police Officer fired on and killed a 'formerly hostile Prisoner who surrendered'?

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
csyphrett
Adventurer

You do know that Diallo wasn't raped, or molested by the police right?

He was shot in front of his home because his hands were in his pockets and he acted like he had a gun.

CES
Daniel Stoker
Knight

csyphrett wrote:You do know that Diallo wasn't raped, or molested by the police right?

He was shot in front of his home because his hands were in his pockets and he acted like he had a gun.

CES

Yea.. he's got the details a bit off.

The officers claim to have loudly identified themselves as NYPD officers. At their approach, they reported Diallo ran up the outside steps toward his apartment house doorway, turned from the officers, and ignored their orders to stop and "show his hands." He then reached into his jacket. Believing Diallo was drawing a firearm, Officer Carroll yelled "Gun!" to alert his colleagues. The officers opened fire. While backing away, Officer McMellon fell down the steps, appearing to be shot. The four officers fired 41 shots, hitting Diallo 19 times. Investigation found no weapons on Diallo's body, and that he had pulled out of his jacket and held in his hand his wallet, not a gun. McMellon had not been shot, had merely tripped while backing down the stairs. The four officers had shot and killed an unarmed man.

Daniel Stoker
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Glistam wrote:
Sentinel wrote:In any of our campaigns, we'd have left the victim on the spot once the entity left, and gone after the entity. That's the real enemy.

And leaving that man alone there to find out what he has done and deal with it could easily create a new menace for the team to have to deal with. An ordinary person could have a very difficult time coming to terms with having done something like that. Insanity seems like the next inevetable step.

so...we should be putting the insane to sleep now?

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

Iczer wrote:
Glistam wrote:
Sentinel wrote:In any of our campaigns, we'd have left the victim on the spot once the entity left, and gone after the entity. That's the real enemy.

And leaving that man alone there to find out what he has done and deal with it could easily create a new menace for the team to have to deal with. An ordinary person could have a very difficult time coming to terms with having done something like that. Insanity seems like the next inevetable step.

so...we should be putting the insane to sleep now?

I'd only worry about that if you catch him in the psych ward lacing someone's NyQuil with arsenic...
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

In most comic universes, in the case of a possessed character, there would be (or should be) a Prof X/Dr Strange/Dr Fate/ Phantom Stranger/etc character to assisst the players (if one of them isn't an expert, psychic or mage themselves). A possessed character would get a look over from Earth's Sorceror Supreme or the most powerful telepath on Earth, etc. and that would do the trick. What happens in a court of law , if the players are not directly involved, need not be a focal element of the scenario and can likely be resolved off-panel.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Gomen_Nagai

oh right, it's Abner Louima.
gaby
Knight

How would you make a Super-powered Crime Syndicate?

Unread post by gaby »

What Power do you think a Don can have?

I think the Don will only have people with super-powers as UnderBoss and Consiglieres.

Capos will be normal humans with high-tech Weapons.

So how do you see it?

Unread post by Guest »

Daniel Stoker wrote:
csyphrett wrote:You do know that Diallo wasn't raped, or molested by the police right?

CES

Yea.. he's got the details a bit off.

The officers claim to have loudly identified themselves as NYPD officers. At their approach, they reported Diallo ran up the outside steps toward his apartment house doorway, turned from the officers, and ignored their orders to stop and "show his hands." He then reached into his jacket. Believing Diallo was drawing a firearm, Officer Carroll yelled "Gun!" to alert his colleagues. The officers opened fire. While backing away, Officer McMellon fell down the steps, appearing to be shot. The four officers fired 41 shots, hitting Diallo 19 times. Investigation found no weapons on Diallo's body, and that he had pulled out of his jacket and held in his hand his wallet, not a gun. McMellon had not been shot, had merely tripped while backing down the stairs. The four officers had shot and killed an unarmed man.

Daniel Stoker

Given how quickly a police firearm can shoot, and the situation, not to mention seeing what looked like a fellow officer getting shot, I personally can't blame them at all.

I'm a cop, I tell someone "keep your hands where I can see them" and they reach into their pocket when I don't explicitly tell them too, with their back turned no less, I'll tell them they are about to get shot if they don't stop, and then I'll shoot their ass.

You saw him, he had a gun.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Gomen_Nagai wrote:oh right, it's Abner Louima.

Oh.. well in that case:

Volpe pled guilty to assault and was sentenced to thirty years in prison. Another officer was convicted for pinning Louima down during the assault, and four others were convicted of lying to authorities.

Daniel Stoker
Gomen_Nagai

All of them were released recently. the Volpe guy was given a lighter sentence. what was that about law being applied equally?
csyphrett
Adventurer

Volpe is still serving 30 years. That's what he got for the crime. The problem is all of his assistants were able to walk because there wasn't enough evidence to prove the lesser charges.

That doesn't mean they won't be retried. It doesn't mean they got away scot clean either.
CES
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Gomen_Nagai wrote:All of them were released recently. the Volpe guy was given a lighter sentence. what was that about law being applied equally?

Where do you get that Volpe got a lighter sentance? The other people who didn't stop him from abusing the prisoner got the lighter sentance and Volpe is still in jail.

Daniel Stoker
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Sentinel wrote:In most comic universes, in the case of a possessed character, there would be (or should be) a Prof X/Dr Strange/Dr Fate/ Phantom Stranger/etc character to assisst the players (if one of them isn't an expert, psychic or mage themselves). A possessed character would get a look over from Earth's Sorceror Supreme or the most powerful telepath on Earth, etc. and that would do the trick. What happens in a court of law , if the players are not directly involved, need not be a focal element of the scenario and can likely be resolved off-panel.

Yeah. The formost psychic in the world was busy. His understudy was the Team's resident psychic.

As for law. He was tried internally, as per the Team's charter. His taunts and claims that 'no court in the US could convict me' sounded a bit off. He's now in Safehouse Alpha, a prison for metahumans.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
csyphrett
Adventurer

He was convicted by his team? Couldn't be much fairer than that.
CES
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

csyphrett wrote:He was convicted by his team? Couldn't be much fairer than that.
CES

Wouldn't one want an impartial jury of his peers? Finding twelve superhumans who haven't bumped into this character and a court staffed with officers who were on the meta-human level could be difficult, but that would be fair.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Gomen_Nagai

at this point the pc is screwed, Cause He's operating above the law.
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Gomen_Nagai wrote:at this point the pc is screwed, Cause He's operating above the law.

The super hero group could well find itself being lobbied and even trashed in the press by the ACLU or Amnesty International.

A country looking for a special operations guy or a new super soldier might get invovled on the behalf of the PC as well.

All the things that a villian might take advantage of are equally resources for anyone incaricerated.

Just because you're above the law, doesn't mean that you're above the law.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”