Fave COmic Characters

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

KillWatch
Champion

Fave COmic Characters

Unread post by KillWatch »

and why?
Punisher:
The stories, he actually gets hurt, bleeds, needs to recover. He actually lives up to his name as opposed to the "justice league" or the "avengers". It's tormented, it's mature, and he does dole out justice

Hyperion:
What would superman do if he could think for himself

Sam & Twitch:
Grit, turmoil, Dialogue great stories
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
sinestus
Adventurer

Unread post by sinestus »

Manji (Blade of the Immortal)

'cause if i had that kinda immortality, i'd prolly be just as messed up...
you want a guy who bleeds and struggles with combat, you'll enjoy Manji...
I believe Socrates said it best at, "I drank what?"

"JESUS SAVES! The rest of you take full damage."

They call me Hadoken 'cause I'm down-right fierce.
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

deadpool: crazy, guntoting, loves to make pop culture references, can take a severe beating, all around good times.

the intimates: punchy. a kid with an enchanted sock-puppet.

gold digger: monty, a wizard who uses an enchanted sawed-off shotgun as his wand, :ok: gar, a werejaguar struggling to master the most powerful martial art in the gold digger universes, ryan, the normal human who taught himself how to fire chi blasts, and zero, the most skilled normal human in assassination techniques that i've ever seen.

livewires: all of them.
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

I'm reading cable and deadpool Love it
Cable when he was on his controlling the world kick was very cool
I want to see more cross overs of Deadpool and Agent X that was awesome does he still have a series? am I even remembering the guys name right?
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Snowtiger
Adventurer

Unread post by Snowtiger »

Wolverine: There's something about his rough-and-worn outlook, gruff mannerisms and in-your-face wisecracks, and of course the cigar stump, that makes him cool as hell. No matter how hard you hit him, he'll bounce right back and return the favor twice as hard.

Punisher: Guns, Lotsa big friggin' guns, outfit's a plus also, and the van, gotta have the van.

Witchblade: The beauty and the beast, she had "balls" even before she got her powers. Mystical powers and edgy attitude all wrapped in a package that's Sweet with a capital S.
"Gonna be sore in the mornin'."
- Hellboy, right after the boss fight scene, after getting up again.

"Never tempt the predator into a bloodlust."
- Snowtiger
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

Spider-Man.

The world's against him, but he bounces back. He's got brains to match brawn, and a bone-for-fido sense of humor, too. Plus, he's not exactly the toughest steak on the grill, but he manages to hold his own as an Avenger, all the while cracking wise as he tends to.
Sabre 1
Wanderer

Unread post by Sabre 1 »

Dark Hawk : give the teenage son of a corrupt police officer super powers plus the responsibilty of looking after the rest of his family and stand the hell back and witness the chaos!
Featuring some of Marvel's best early to mid-90s story telling & had their answer to Boba Fett: the armoured dimension hopping mutant Portal!
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

My first answer was The Shadow, a man who did horrible things and is repaying the world for what he did and gets the girl. ;) But since it's comic book characters I'll go with Spider-man, the man who does the right thing at great personal loss to himself sometimes and embodies, "With great power comes great responsibility."

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Spiderman and Batman, over the years and the various titles and graphic novels, there has been some outstanding art and writing for those characters. I greatly enjoyed Blue Beetle, Blue Devil and Starman, but those titles didn't last (saw some other title called star man the other day, but it was not the guy I am familier with), I also collected Wonderman for quite a while.. that had its great issues, one of my favorites was basically an all out brawl with a gamma mutated woman at a gym who eventually got blasted by overloaded UV tanning beds or something.. completely loony science, but a great brawl.
8-)
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Sub-Mariner: I like the theme that Namor is born of two worlds and at home in neither. And then, rather than just mope for six issues, he goes on a rampage, and smashes stuff and invades New York, or something self-indulgent. Yet, he is noble, honourable, and brave: just occasionally petulant.

The Fantastic Four: Comics First Family. I love the group dynamics, and some of the plot twists ("We're broke, but since Ben isn't related to us, he's rich!"). It's good to see Franklin start to grow up also. I love the scope of their epic adventures: this is one of the main reasons I read comics.

The Avengers: although the Bendis run is not all I would want, the Avengers is one of my favorite team books. I love the epic scale adventure, much like the FF.
Real life has enough doom and gloom and dark grittiness: this is why I gave up on The Punisher and Daredevil. I want escapist fantasy, and the Avengers usually deliver things like the Kree/Skrull War, the Korvac Saga, The Forever War, Galactic Storm, and so on. When Ultron slaughtered an entire European Nation, the Avengers were there to stop him (destroy him, actually).
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

Hmmm... don't know that I have just one favorite.

Spider-Man -- like has been said already, he's the embodiment of "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility."

Lobo -- mainly because I thought the series was a hilarious read.

Lobo The Duck -- from the Amalgam Universe

Hulk (the merged "Professor" version) -- Peter David's writing rocked.

Boba Fett -- Okay, so he began as a movie character, but I really liked his treatments in the Dark Horse comics.

Camisado -- You've probably never heard of him, but he was an old Dagger character I worked on. Picture Crocodile Dundee combined with the Predator.
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
Sentinel
Palladin

Uncle Servo wrote:Hmmm... don't know that I have just one favorite.

Spider-Man -- like has been said already, he's the embodiment of "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility."

Boba Fett -- Okay, so he began as a movie character, but I really liked his treatments in the Dark Horse comics.

Camisado -- You've probably never heard of him, but he was an old Dagger character I worked on. Picture Crocodile Dundee combined with the Predator.

What issue?

Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Max, from Sam and Max. What's not to like about a heavily-armed, hyperactive rabbity thing? :D
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
Sentinel
Palladin

Qev wrote:Max, from Sam and Max. What's not to like about a heavily-armed, hyperactive rabbity thing? :D

All my Wolfen friends think they're tasty. :D

Uncle Servo
Champion

Sentinel wrote:

What issue?

What issue of what?
Sentinel
Palladin

Uncle Servo wrote:
Sentinel wrote:

What issue?

What issue of what?

Where can I see this character? If I went my comic/book store, what am I looking for?

Uncle Servo
Champion

Sentinel wrote:
Uncle Servo wrote:
Sentinel wrote:

What issue?

What issue of what?

Where can I see this character? If I went my comic/book store, what am I looking for?

Camisado was one of the team members of The Mavericks, one of the three titles Dagger put out in 1993 and 1994. There were 6 issues, and I had a hand in the last three of them (though I can't remember if I got credit on #5).

This is the cover from issue #6 -- Camisado is the crouched figure in the front (I did the cover colors and the interior lettering on this issue).

Good luck trying to find any copies -- we never had a large print run to begin with and it's been a while since they were done.
Sentinel
Palladin

I'll keep my eyes out all the same.

Sentinel
Palladin

Ironclad wrote:I find it amusing that Superman is still so popular on these boards and yet if a player created a character with that level of power we would be screaming munchkin! :-D

I love Superman. The character actually has [i]character, and this keeps him from abusing his great power: a munchkin player would never have that degree of restraint.[/i]

Personally for DC I love Batman (but who doesn't) with Flash coming a very close second.

Flash is great these days.

For Marvel its Wolverine. I have to admit I am getting a bit sick of his over-exposure though. Seeing Wolvie pop up in another title used to be a rare treat. Now its just expected...

Feel a rant coming on now, lol!

Anyone else fed up of the fact that a majority of us have stuck by comics through thick and thin and suddenly the characters become popular and now everyone wants a piece of them...

Oh for the days of the comic nerd... sigh

I like the fact that comics are becoming more "mainstream", I just hate the way that stories have to be "adapted" for the "casual" viewer. They aren't stupid: let them figure it out the way we (the fans) did. We made the characters into multi-million dollar franchises: make the movies for us, not them. They'll figure the stories out, or they won't. Batman comic readers made Batman popular: make movies for them.

MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Sentinel wrote:
Ironclad wrote:I find it amusing that Superman is still so popular on these boards and yet if a player created a character with that level of power we would be screaming munchkin! :-D

I love Superman. The character actually has [i]character, and this keeps him from abusing his great power: a munchkin player would never have that degree of restraint.[/i]

Personally for DC I love Batman (but who doesn't) with Flash coming a very close second.

For Marvel its Wolverine. I have to admit I am getting a bit sick of his over-exposure though. Seeing Wolvie pop up in another title used to be a rare treat. Now its just expected...

Anyone else fed up of the fact that a majority of us have stuck by comics through thick and thin and suddenly the characters become popular and now everyone wants a piece of them...

I like the fact that comics are becoming more "mainstream", I just hate the way that stories have to be "adapted" for the "casual" viewer. They aren't stupid: let them figure it out the way we (the fans) did. We made the characters into multi-million dollar franchises: make the movies for us, not them. They'll figure the stories out, or they won't. Batman comic readers made Batman popular: make movies for them.

They're going to make movies designed to bring in as many people as possible, whether or not they're fans of the comic. Whatever gets the companies the most money is the goal.
"Do you even know what the word theory means? You must think it means '**** that you make up'."
---Penn Jillette
Sentinel
Palladin

MrTwist wrote:
Sentinel wrote:

They're going to make movies designed to bring in as many people as possible, whether or not they're fans of the comic. Whatever gets the companies the most money is the goal.

That's the case, to be sure.
I'm just suggesting that it's the path of stupidity.

Common sense says that if it's the fans who are guaranteed money (and, since we bought the comics, toys, t-shirts, posters, and stuff in order to make the franchise a money-maker to begin with) then the biggest bucks from the bang are from us.
If they made a Captain America movie that was 100% Simon & Kirby, I would see it fifty times at least. Ergo: lots 'o money.
If they make a sucky movie, it'll bomb (which it did). Ergo: bomb = no money.

MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Deadpool:
Funny, highly skilled, heavily conflicted.

Spider Jerusalem(Transmetropolitan):
Freakin' wacky. He has a gun that can give you diarrhea. What more do you need?

Jesse Custer(Preacher):
Heck of a fighter. Pretty funny at times. Pretty good guy all around.

Tommy Monaghan(sp?)(Hitman):
Funny, and a decent guy for a killer. And he saw Catwoman naked.

Edit : I forgot to add;

Ogami Itto(Lone Wolf and Cub):
Badass swordsman. While he is a killer for money, he seems to be generally a good guy.
"Do you even know what the word theory means? You must think it means '**** that you make up'."
---Penn Jillette
Sentinel
Palladin

I think supes is a terrible comic character.

One of the very reasons I like Superman is because he is Iconic.
He is "old", because he has withstood the test of time from 1938 to now: something only Batman can also say.

Yes, he is extremely powerful, but that just means that the quality of his opponents needs to equal the challenge.

Sentinel
Palladin

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:
Sentinel wrote:
I think supes is a terrible comic character.

One of the very reasons I like Superman is because he is Iconic.
He is "old", because he has withstood the test of time from 1938 to now: something only Batman can also say.

Captain America and Batman are fairly iconic as well, but both of them are far more interesting because you don't need to throw in ridiculous creations like Doomsday to give them a hard time. The Joker has no powers that I know of and yet he can still give Bats a run for his money.

Sure, and I certainly don't mean to suggest that these characters aren't interesting: But, sometimes I want Daredevil, sometimes I want Silver Surfer.
I like big, epic struggles like Superman vs. Doomsday, or Mongul, or the Galactic Golem, Darkseid, etc (Superman Annual # 9 by Alan Moore, with Superman vs. Mongul is a fantastic read). The John Byrne years brought a variety of foes who challenged the Man Of Steel (admittedly, some were better than others: I hated "Bloodsport", but I did like Rampage, Sleez, Silver Banshee, Maxima, and Host).

Captain America has the boyscout thing going on too, but its done a LOT more three dimensionally than superman's.
I have an issue of Supes vs. Aliens where he's trying to reason and talk to an alien while it's trying to eat his face.

Now, that's just crappy writing, which you can't blame the character for.
The idea of Superman vs. Aliens is so lop-sided that I can't imagine anything other than marketing that brings this together.

Sentinel
Palladin

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:See, when I get a Jones for big epic cosmic power struggles, I like the morality that goes with having all that power. Silver Surfer is a perfect example. Absolute power like that is very tempting and the character should struggle with it. It'd be so easy to liberate the Alvaragata System from the invading Hookla fleet, but should you? Or would it be better if the Alvaragatians fought for themselves? Etc.
There's no law here out in the crab nebula, and it's really tempting to kill Garkos the Slayer...but should you? Afterall, if you don't he'll kill again...

Supes NEVER actually has to struggle with these questions or the responsibility of his powers.

Well sure he does, but this is handled better by some writers than others.
When he was in the Vega system, he had to struggle with what he believed to be right, and the fact that he couldn't just topple a govenment structure, even if he believed it to be evil. He has godlike power, but he tries to keep from being like unto a god.
More than once, has Superman agonized over wanting to take a particular action, and yet restraining himself, and letting "us" do things for ourselves.

Silver Surfer agonized over participating in the Kree-Skrull War, because : A) He didn't like either side.
(B) The Kree threatened Zenn-La.
Surf was being a bit of a selfish jerk (although he wasn't quite as maudlin and mopey, so it wasn't terrible).

Oh, he might expound on it for a bit, but you never really question whether he'll make the "right" decision.
That's dull to me.

I like heroes (like Superman and Spider-Man) who do the right thing in the end. To me, that's what makes them heroic.
I've long since tired of the dark, brooding, meta-human @$$hole.
I want a hero I can aspire to, and actually look up to. Characters who inspire (me) to try to be more than ordinary and to be better than baseline. Heroes who inspire me to be truly Good, and not merely "good enough".

I once told a friend that while I can relate to the Punisher, I aspire to Captain America.

Sentinel
Palladin

el magico -- darklorddc wrote:
Sentinel wrote:
el magico -- darklorddc wrote:See, when I get a Jones for big epic cosmic power struggles, I like the morality that goes with having all that power. Silver Surfer is a perfect example. Absolute power like that is very tempting and the character should struggle with it. It'd be so easy to liberate the Alvaragata System from the invading Hookla fleet, but should you? Or would it be better if the Alvaragatians fought for themselves? Etc.
There's no law here out in the crab nebula, and it's really tempting to kill Garkos the Slayer...but should you? Afterall, if you don't he'll kill again...

Supes NEVER actually has to struggle with these questions or the responsibility of his powers.

Well sure he does, but this is handled better by some writers than others.
When he was in the Vega system, he had to struggle with what he believed to be right, and the fact that he couldn't just topple a govenment structure, even if he believed it to be evil. He has godlike power, but he tries to keep from being like unto a god.
More than once, has Superman agonized over wanting to take a particular action, and yet restraining himself, and letting "us" do things for ourselves.

Silver Surfer agonized over participating in the Kree-Skrull War, because : A) He didn't like either side.
(B) The Kree threatened Zenn-La.
Surf was being a bit of a selfish jerk (although he wasn't quite as maudlin and mopey, so it wasn't terrible).

Oh, he might expound on it for a bit, but you never really question whether he'll make the "right" decision.
That's dull to me.

I like heroes (like Superman and Spider-Man) who do the right thing in the end. To me, that's what makes them heroic.
I've long since tired of the dark, brooding, meta-human @$$hole.
I want a hero I can aspire to, and actually look up to. Characters who inspire (me) to try to be more than ordinary and to be better than baseline. Heroes who inspire me to be truly Good, and not merely "good enough".

I once told a friend that while I can relate to the Punisher, I aspire to Captain America.

Yeah but even spider man is tempted...has to pay bills, has to sacrifice letting flash thompson take gwen out while he dukes it with Doc Ock.
SPiderman is done wayyy better. He's actually tempted and actually pays for his decisions, even the good ones. He's always broke, misses class, etc.
Supes never seems to have those issues.

Sure he does: remember when he was indirectly responsible for affecting Jimmy Olsen with the Eradicator (Elastic Lad )?
Or when Matrix went crazy in Smallville, and had Lana Lang and the Kents held captive in their own home? He felt responsible for that too. Gangbuster series, when he was sleepwalking and masquerading as Gangbuster? Morgan Edge and WGBS (job complications).
Remember the Legends time period? How he thought to himself that he would have to tell the President that he was not their "personal little soldier"?
Monguls' first appearance where Superman had to fight J'onn J'onzz for the control key, because his friends were held hostage?

These things are there, just sometimes on a grander scale than found in Spider-Man, and less ethereal than found in Silver Surfer.

Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

el magico -- darklorddc wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

My Man of Steel knowledge (probably due to the fact that I find him so unpalatable) is limited. I didn't recognize a single example you gave.

Superman is limited in many respects
spiderman captin america, even booster gold
are better charaters but super man is Iconic and
you have to give him props for being the first
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Sentinel
Palladin

el magico -- darklorddc wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

My Man of Steel knowledge (probably due to the fact that I find him so unpalatable) is limited. I didn't recognize a single example you gave.

See what you've missed out on?
He becomes a lot more interesting than you gave him credit for.

MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Supes NEVER actually has to struggle with these questions or the responsibility of his powers. Oh, he might expound on it for a bit, but you never really question whether he'll make the "right" decision.
That's dull to me.

He popped up in an issue of Hitman. He was having problems trying to deal with the fact he couldn't save everyone aboard a doomed space shuttle. At least, that's what I recall happening. He has all this power but he couldn't save everyone.
---Penn Jillette
Snowtiger
Adventurer

A few updates to my list of favorite comic book characters.

Unread post by Snowtiger »

Dark Horse Manga:

Major Motoko Kusanagi(GitS): Hard as nails, somewhat lone-wolf style outlook on the world, cool and calculating(jumping off buildings to land on streets is like walking to her, h*ll even skyscrapers don't seem to worry her a bit).

Hellboy: A definite similarity to Wolverine, gruff manners, smokes, not easily a likable character, strong, large and of course he's fireproof.
"Gonna be sore in the mornin'."
- Hellboy, right after the boss fight scene, after getting up again.

"Never tempt the predator into a bloodlust."
- Snowtiger
Uncle Servo
Champion

MrTwist wrote:Spider Jerusalem(Transmetropolitan):

Besides some Immodium, you mean?

Being able to give someone diarrhea isn't all that great... half the menu selections in a cheap Mexican restaurant can do the same thing, and if you spot the waiter $5 he'll utter his infamous battle cry: Beware, evil doers, for my plate of justice is VERY hot!!!!!!!

:lol:
Sentinel
Palladin

Blue and Furry Hank McCoy. So much fun.
Frank Millers' first run on Daredevil. So much angst.
Colossus. a classic "gentle giant" with "the soul of an artist".
Jamie Delanos' Captain Britain. You just have to read'em to understand.

MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Uncle Servo wrote:
MrTwist wrote:Spider Jerusalem(Transmetropolitan):

Besides some Immodium, you mean?

Being able to give someone diarrhea isn't all that great... half the menu selections in a cheap Mexican restaurant can do the same thing, and if you spot the waiter $5 he'll utter his infamous battle cry: Beware, evil doers, for my plate of justice is VERY hot!!!!!!!

:lol:

I believe his gun had many more, uhm..., imaginative settings dealing with the bowels. It was a bowel disrupter after all.
---Penn Jillette
Sentinel
Palladin

Ironclad wrote:
Sentinel wrote:Blue and Furry Hank McCoy. So much fun.
Frank Millers' first run on Daredevil. So much angst.
Colossus. a classic "gentle giant" with "the soul of an artist".
Jamie Delanos' Captain Britain. You just have to read'em to understand.

So Sentinel, what is your opinion on 'Tony the Tiger' Beast? An improvement on the simian Beast or a bad move?

For myself, I didn't like it.
I far prefer the early blue and furry Beast (which was actually Gray and furry right at first: Amazing Adventures #12).
The time he spent in the Avengers, particularly the Perez issues were the best.
I like the Beast as an Avenger so much more than as an X-Man.

Sentinel
Palladin

Ironclad wrote:Have to agree with you.

Hopefully someone will have the good sense to change him back.

Odd that mutation in these comics is supposed to be an advancement and yet each time Beast 'mutates' he regresses further

Human to 'Ape' to Feline

What next? A Badger?

That's Mike Barons' character. :lol:

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”