Rifts Ultimate Edition Errata

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

RainOfSteel wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:They neglected to rewrite that spell when they upgraded the spellcasting rules.
So it would currently be 1 attack to cast, and 3 blasts afterward (if the character had 4 attacks).

I disagree.

By sticking to your position, and evenly applying that position to other direct-fire attack spells, then Firebolt would take 1 attack to cast, and another attack to send flying at someone. The same would go with all other direct-fire attack spells, at least AFAIC.

I'll have Electric Arc would like all other attack spells instead of as a special exception.

Electric Arc works differently from most other attack spells, though.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
RainOfSteel
Champion

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Electric Arc works differently from most other attack spells, though.

I believe that the core of a full re-write of the spell for RUE would be:

"This spell, when cast, fires an electric arc at a target. If the caster retains any available attacks after this spell is cast, then additional electric arcs may be fired, one per available attack, until the end of the melee round."

This retains the flavor of the spell, without dramatically departing from the way other direct-fire attack spells operate.

If a spellcaster has six attacks, and they cast this spell as their first attack, that's six electric blasts.
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
RainOfSteel
Champion

Even I can't resist the temptation to post.

What are everyone's thoughts on establishing a second "Errata -- Discussion" topic. So that notices of what people think are errata go here, and we talk about it over in the discussion topic?

EDIT------------------
Further Electric Arc discussion occurs at the preceding link.
Last edited by RainOfSteel on Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
RainOfSteel
Champion

p.270 col.1 under "JA-11 Juicer Assassin's Rifle" para.1: "hand loaded 7.62mm round"
p.270 col.2 para.11: "7.65mm round"

p.270 col.2 para.3: "[...] both work on different light frequencies, too." Nothing is said about what this means (at least not on this page).

p.270 col.2 under "JA-9 Juicer Assassin Variable Laser Rifle" para.1: A description is given that it is a rifle designed to defeat laser resistant armor. No mechanic is given to express this ability.

p.255 col.2 and p.256 col.1 "1. CV-213 Robot Variable Laser Rifle (1):" It is described as being able to defeat laser resistant armor. Here we have a mechanic to express this ability. The JA-9 and JA-11 need page number references back to this weapon.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Any chance of errata being posted on the site anytime soon? Or is it too early to ask?
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Display-Name-Alpha
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Display-Name-Alpha »

In the Rifts RPG Silver Edition Hard Bound, Psionics get a 50% increase on leylines and nexuses... I havent found anywhere in the Ultimate Edition that says this... has Psionic resonance to Leylines and Nexuses been ended (finally)
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

Cheesy One wrote:In the Rifts RPG Silver Edition Hard Bound, Psionics get a 50% increase on leylines and nexuses... I havent found anywhere in the Ultimate Edition that says this... has Psionic resonance to Leylines and Nexuses been ended (finally)

Under the mindmelter and burster classes is mentions that their powers are 50% stronger with in 1 mile of a leyline and doubled with in a mile of a nexus

Findar wrote:The Black Market cost of a TW device doesn't include anything for the labor of the TW. It's equal to the cost of the misc parts and gems. No factor for the TW's labor.

Its the BM they could be stolen you know :lol:
AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by AlexM »

Thank you to everyone who posted. Much appreciated. I've put together a list of corrections for the next printing. Corrections will also be posted online (except for minor spelling errors). I'll post an update as soon as I find out when.

Alex Marciniszyn
Vinny
Adventurer

Unread post by Vinny »

AlexM wrote:Thank you to everyone who posted. Much appreciated. I've put together a list of corrections for the next printing. Corrections will also be posted online (except for minor spelling errors). I'll post an update as soon as I find out when.

Alex Marciniszyn

Does this mean I'll have to buy a new book? :-?
The Phoenix is Coming!
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

WorldofRifts wrote:
AlexM wrote:Thank you to everyone who posted. Much appreciated. I've put together a list of corrections for the next printing. Corrections will also be posted online (except for minor spelling errors). I'll post an update as soon as I find out when.

Alex Marciniszyn

Does this mean I'll have to buy a new book? :-?

Technically speaking... yes. But you can always just print out the corrections and stick them in the book yourself. That's what I'll do.
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Naa you just print out the bug fixes and keep a coy around.

Say am I to late or did some one mention that bursters done seem to have acess to the normal pyro super psi power and its 6d6 MD fire ball?
RainOfSteel
Champion

Alex Marciniszyn

Thanks! :D

<Glyph of hoping Alex continues to watch for future postings here to add to the list. />
Sureshot
Champion

Alex Marciniszyn

Good to know. I may or may not get the book but at the very least the errata will be posted and included in the next printing.

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Alex Marciniszyn

So... when does the official "Apologies to Palladium by complaining fans" thread start?

:P
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Sureshot
Champion

Kittenstomp wrote:Andnodite, a mineral listed in the TW section DOES NOT EXIST. I have searched through Geological databases, and as far as I can determine, it is a massive misspelling of some other mineral.

It' either a spelling mistake or ranks up there with the almight ultra-rare super strong metal called Unknownium. More likely imo it's just thrown in for game flavour. I could be wrong though.

Enlightened Grognard

RainOfSteel
Champion

Jason Richards wrote:So... when does the official "Apologies to Palladium by complaining fans" thread start?

I do not view myself as complaining, so I think I'll skip that one.
RainOfSteel
Champion

Kittenstomp wrote:Unless it is a deliberate change, there is no base SDC for any class anymore. Does this mean that all classes now receive 2D6+12 as a base SDC regardless of whether they're Men of Arms, Scholars, etc?

This is covered by the rules very specifically.

RUE p.287 col.1 para.1: "Each O.C.C. should indicate how many S.D.C. points a character gets. In the event that it does not, the character starts out with 2d6+12 S.D.C., [...]"

So I suppose the answer to your question is yes.

---------------------------------------

The missing Juicer PP bonus and missing ley line bonuses have been noted previously.

The other four look new:

1) Computer Ops w/out Literacy.
2) Rogue Scholar Storytelling.
3) No cost for Ley Line Walker armor.
4) Mineral Oddity/Non-Existence.
Last edited by RainOfSteel on Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
RainOfSteel
Champion

Lynx8882 wrote:
Kittenstomp wrote:The Techno-Hound Headhunter and Mercenary Warrior both receive Computer Operation, but do not receive Literacy (the pre-requisite) as a starting skill.

i was always under the assumption computers could work on symbols i mean those deadboys gotta work their computers right

Lynx

Except for very limited capability devices, no.

For the full glory of "Computer Operation", literacy is a requirement. What language is used is irrelevant, but Chinese is all symbols, and it is a language.
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Rain of steel, just a note, you could put all three of these last posts in one post...unless you are trying to boost your post count. :D
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

I think I speak for all the fans here when I say, "Thanks Al! Glad we could be of help." Hey, you think we might be able to make this a semi-regular thing. Like when a new book first comes out, a sticky could be started in which the board members post the mistakes that they find. Then, one of the mods could compile it into a useful list that they would send to you. That way we fans could help out the writers and editors, and in turn increase the overall quality of Palladium's product. It's a win-win situation. This way, we would get our nagging questions answered and little mistakes in the material fixed, and Palladium gets a large staff of freelance proofreaders that work for free (well, a little gratitude every now and then doesn't cost anything)! Or perhaps the site admin could start another user group like Sound-Off, but this one would consist of people that are experienced members of the board that have a good knowledge of Palladium's material. It would be kind-of like a Palladium Books focus group where the vets can get some solid answers and point out mistakes and oversights. Not that new users don't ask important question, but the regulars tend to know what has been asked and the answers (or non-answers) that have been provided. Just a thought really, but I think it could prove really productive for Palladium Books as a whole.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

Praise be to Allah!

They are finally posting errata...
RainOfSteel
Champion

Warwolf wrote:Hey, you think we might be able to make this a semi-regular thing. Like when a new book first comes out, a sticky could be started in which the board members post the mistakes that they find. Then, one of the mods could compile it into a useful list that they would send to you. That way we fans could help out the writers and editors, and in turn increase the overall quality of Palladium's product. It's a win-win situation.

I agree. Except I believe an additional similar process should occur before publication in a playtest. Other game companies do it successfully. I feel confident that PB could also do so successfully.
Last edited by RainOfSteel on Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
RainOfSteel
Champion

RUE p.131 col.2 under "8. Construction Cost of the Device.": "[...] is the average price for purchasing such a magical item on the Black Barket!" "Barket" should be "Market".

RUE p.137 col.2 under "Lightning Rod:": The listed PPE Activation Cost is 14. Lightning Rod has 40 PPE in spells, and uses Cr22,000 in Red Zircons for the Primary Gem (Cr2,000/carat = 11 carats). The forumla for determining the PPE Activation Cost is: (40 x 4 x 10) / 11 = 146 / 20 = 8 PPE. 14 PPE <> 8 PPE.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

If I were to go to a steakhouse, and I ordered a steak, and it came out over cooked, I would expect the house to get me a new steak...

Thats how I feel about this &quot;Ultimate&quot; edition. I see a lot of the changes and I think most of them are cool, but they obviously dont care about the people who are going to read the book. If they did, they would have at least attempted to edit it.

I want a new steak...
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Warwolf

My sympathies.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Kagashi wrote:...If they did, they would have at least attempted to edit it. I want a new steak...

I can understand your frustration, believe me. However, to imply that they didn't attempt to edit the book is unfair. With the size of the work and the time in which they cranked RUE out, there were bound to be mistakes. I'm sure Julius, Alex, and the others did their best to have as few errors as possible in the RUE, but these things happen (they are human contrary to popular belief). However, I do feel that it is within the fans rights to ask for posted corrections (and corrections in later printings). It seems that this is what Palladium will be doing, so I feel better about it. I hope you can too. :)
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Kagashi
Champion

Re: My sympathies.

Unread post by Kagashi »

If they are going to replace my old book with a new, correctly edited version, then that would be awesome. I just did not expect such blatant mistakes from a core book.

I understand that there is a hell of a lot that can go wrong with a project this size, but the lack of attention to detail was indeed obvious. The editing is the most important aspect in any book and determines how well the book flows and reads. No matter how cool the material may be, bad editing really kills the book.

Also, I did not like how it seems like KS and Company seems to have to explain why they put certian paragraphs in or took certian things out or they wanted to put this or that in the core book but they ran out of room, ect... If THAT stuff was not in there, perhaps we could have seen more core source material other than 2 power armors and 1 robot... . Or perhaps some Rifts specific demons would have been nice too (Brodkil, Neuron Beast, Thornhead, ect...)

NOW, my last post and this post may sound negitive, but I would like to say that I am glad that Palladium fianally attempted to update their game with the times. I like most of the rule changes (notabaly quicker magic spells, the new &quot;-10&quot; dodge rules, and dragon combat rocks). I liked how we now have more Dragons to choose from, but you still need the OLD book to play them all... No, wait, this part is supposed to be positive :)

Cyber Knights were a nice upgrade (although I still dont think they should have bonuses against Tech...) from the original and I like how the bonuses for ranged combat were taken out (aimed, burst, wild) and replaced with new rules. I like the civilian grunts and RPA OCCs too.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
ghost2020
Adventurer

Unread post by ghost2020 »

Kag...
You can get erratta like the rest of us. Replace your book? That's just silly...errors happen..in every game book...period. It's a massive book and some things get missed.
RainOfSteel
Champion

ghost2020 wrote:Kag...
You can get erratta like the rest of us. Replace your book? That's just silly...errors happen..in every game book...period. It's a massive book and some things get missed.

Financially impossible for PB, yes.

Not a standard RPG Industry practice, yes.

Silly, no.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Kagashi wrote:If I were to go to a steakhouse, and I ordered a steak, and it came out over cooked, I would expect the house to get me a new steak...

Thats how I feel about this &quot;Ultimate&quot; edition. I see a lot of the changes and I think most of them are cool, but they obviously dont care about the people who are going to read the book. If they did, they would have at least attempted to edit it.

I want a new steak...

They did attempt to edit it.
For Palladium, the editing in RUE isn't bad. Likely it's above average.
People have tried to talk to them before, but they seem to believe that their editing is no worse than any other company out there.
Since I haven't spent as much time reading the works of any other company, I can't say for sure whether or not they are correct (although I suspect that they are not).

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

colgatecla wrote:Having read other games companies books I can honestly say that those other companies actually get better as they do more and more books.

I don't know about that. D&D still puts out errata for almost every new book that comes out, complete with spelling errors and miss information. *Still cursing his warforged can't be a monk and have adamantine body feat*. In fact I can't think of any one system that has gotten 'better' over the years. They all just tend to stay the same course. Assuming of course any of them last that long.

This has been a problem with Palladium from the beginning. That and not using Desktop Publishing software which can help you with the editing process. One gets the impression that they wanted to rush it out just to make it arrive on time at Gencon.

What was the first clue, when kevin came out and said that it was a rush job or when kevin said it was a rush job? After all, he did mention that he was dropping BTS2ed Arcanum and tomb to work on it so that it would be out for gencon. After all it appeared first at gencon 15 years ago and it seemed like the best time to push out a revised rifts he's been wanting to do.

I could be wrong but a book like RUE should be relatively error free.

You are wrong. It's going to have errors. Palladium is still a small buisness. In the world of RPG's being 2nd best doesn't mean anything.

Palladium is no longer a newcomer on the rpg market and this is not their first book. Instead it's the RMB all over again. I will say that at least they are updating the second printing with errata. It took many many years before the RMB was given that treatment. I would rather have less releases with less mistakes as opposed to more releases with mistakes.

Except for RUE that had pretty hard core errors (only 2 of which really mean anything), if it's that important to you, I'm sorry, but I don't see this ever happening. It's simply not how palladium has worked.

Of course why would Palladium do anything anyway? From what I can see the majority of the fans are happy to get books with errors just as long as they get books.

Not true. There are many fans who can be unhappy with books as well (Rifts: England). It's just that many of the fans are probably not so anal retentive to really care all that much that 'there' is spelled 'their'. Now, neglecting the juicer PP bonus..that is asking for trouble.

If I ran Palladium I would not bother either if they don't care why should they.

Who says they don't. Editing costs money. People don't work for free. We have no real idea how much the palladium company makes and how they work their finances. I prefer to believe they make just enough to stay afloat, slightly expand and keep their employees payed. Some may believe they make enough money that they sleep on matresses stuffed with $100 bills. Maybe some in between.

The reason I think the way I do explains to me why books come out at a snails pace and why they arn't always the best edited ones.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Gabriel_V

Unread post by Gabriel_V »

Look at the XP chart for the Elemental Fusionist.

The Level is not offset from the XP range needed.
Vinny
Adventurer

Unread post by Vinny »

Alright, I was thinking of this the other day about errors in the Palladium Books. If you check out page 3 of RUE you'll see that there are 3 editors and 3 proofreaders. At least 6 people looking for problems.

Now, how many of us are there that are looking for problems? Well more than six.
The Phoenix is Coming!
dark brandon
Knight

colgatecla wrote:Very true but then again D&D usually has an errata for a particular book up on their website within a week if not earlier. Nor do they wait for the fanbase to search the errata for them. Who knows when the errata for RUE will be posted.

From what I understand, it usually because D&D players will email any mistakes they find, and usually within a week all the hardcore players already have the book that just came out and already gone through it with a fine tooth comb. They are just hard core like that. Palladium has a few fans who are that bad, but I don't see it as hard core as D&D. So, they tend to just sit back and go with the flow.

You almost sound proud about it. As far as I see it nothing to be proud of. The proper amount of time to make RUE perfect should have been planned ahead of time. I know it sound easier said than done but Rifts is the flagship line of the company. It deserves the best. It's not like there we were behind KS head holding a gun saying "get it done for Gencon or else".

I would have preferred a later release date. whether it was Gencon or 2 months after it or christmas time Palladium has a large and loyal fanbase. the book would have done well whenever it was coming out.

Well, if you've ever seen a rifts book get done (I have), you'd understand how awesome the accomplishment of RUE truely is. So that is something to be proud of and for the amount of mistakes it had wasn't so bad. As for holding off or getting the book at con, I'd have been angry not to have gotten it at con. Just two differing opinions is all. It seemed like a fiting place to put out RUE. So, no no one gamer was behind kevin with a gun saying "Produce...or else"...but, he probably sees it on more my level than yours, in that having it out by gencon was proirity 1.

Dark Brandon wrote:You are wrong. It's going to have errors. Palladium is still a small buisness. In the world of RPG's being 2nd best doesn't mean anything.

Remember I said relatively error free not error free. I knew there would be errors in the book it's become almost a standard for Palladium. if it were any other book besides RUE I would not be so "anal retentive" as you put it.

Rifts is their flagship line. I foolishly thought they would pull out all the stops for this one. And content wise they did. But when you have an errata thread which is about 12 pages long it's nothing to be happy about. Saying to someone who bought RUE and is unhappy with the errors and saying "It's palladium just suck it up" is asking to get bashed in the face with the book.

That thread is also full of people arguing over things agreeing with one mistake, whining about others...ect...I wonder if this is the thread where I whined about Crazies and their auto-dodge bonuses. Either way it's not purely full of errors. Even this discussion has nothing really to do with errata, just the premis of it. You begin to wonder about how much errors there truely are.

I know I cannot change how the company is run but come on they have had 20 years to fix the editing problems. You cannot tell me they have not been able to at leat find someone good enough or trustworthy enough to do it.

They have. But none the less they are still a small(er) buisness. If your a good editor your gonna go somewhere where it makes you more money. you basically pay for what you can get. I'm not saying the editors in palladium are bad, but they arn't the best either because if they were the best, palladium probably couldn't afford to pay them.

On this I will disagree too many book of late have and continue to have small errors scattered in them. Hell they even misspelled the name of one of their writers on the MercOps cover. Maybe they will get better but imo they will not.

They probably won't. Not yet at least. Not until they start making some great money, which maybe the movie and game will do. Maybe it wont.

As for money I do not know either but the fact that they are still around and producing books means they are not hurting. And that they reprint their books is a good sign. Most companies today usually do not print some of their older books. Companies that are doing that are doing well imo

Maybe. I never said they were hurting. I said they made enough to stay afloat and expand slightly.

Also I never said they were floating in money you did.

I was giving extream views. I said some will see it like me, some will see palladium is rolling in money (Never said you), and soe will believe it's somewhere in between.

As for the releases they are pretty steady actually. Mostly Rifts titles but they are publishing more than some other small companies are.

Yes, they are steady. From what I know palladium is like one of the 3rd biggest RPG's companies out there. But, for a company, they are still rather small, but they are big enough to get a few books out every so often.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
RainOfSteel
Champion

Killer Cyborg wrote:They did attempt to edit it.
For Palladium, the editing in RUE isn't bad. Likely it's above average.
People have tried to talk to them before, but they seem to believe that their editing is no worse than any other company out there.
Since I haven't spent as much time reading the works of any other company, I can't say for sure whether or not they are correct (although I suspect that they are not).

Should we pin the desired quality of PB products against the actual quality of other RPG company's products? (That's a rhetorical question.)

Frankly, I'm less concerned with the fact that there are errata in the first printing than I am with whether or not PB is taking this topic seriously and that the 2nd printing will correct the obvious errors. Alex's recent post lets me know they do take it seriously.*

Now we wait and see what comes.

And yes, I will buy the 2nd printing to get the corrections.

* However, some of this stuff hasn't been errata, it has been questions about the changes between the RMB and RUE. We need some official answers on those.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

WorldofRifts wrote:Alright, I was thinking of this the other day about errors in the Palladium Books. If you check out page 3 of RUE you'll see that there are 3 editors and 3 proofreaders. At least 6 people looking for problems.

Now, how many of us are there that are looking for problems? Well more than six.

True.
But I'm quite sure that if I sat down with the book myself and proof-read it that I'd still find one heck of a lot of mistakes.

But I can live with a few typos and such. The important thing is that Palladium correct the mistakes in later printings. It looks like Alex is trying to compile a good list of things to fix in order to do just that.

dark brandon
Knight

Dark Brandon wrote:That thread is also full of people arguing over things agreeing with one mistake, whining about others...ect...I wonder if this is the thread where I whined about Crazies and their auto-dodge bonuses. Either way it's not purely full of errors. Even this discussion has nothing really to do with errata, just the premis of it. You begin to wonder about how much errors there truely are.

I really wish people on this site would stop equating any negative comment as whining. It is not. If there would have been no or hardly any mistakes in RUE I would consider it whining. But like it or not there was more than their should have been. What's done is done.

Classifying any negative commentary imo is bad, rude and will not encourage people to write anything on this site for fear of being labelled a whiner. So i politlely ask that it please stop. Enough is enough already.

Just to be clear, my comments about the crazies auto-dodge was whining. I have a good point, but it was still whining.

In any case I do not what to threadjack this thread any longer. Let's just agree to disagree on this topic DB if I may call you that.

Yeah, that we'll do.
Vinny
Adventurer

Unread post by Vinny »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
WorldofRifts wrote:Alright, I was thinking of this the other day about errors in the Palladium Books. If you check out page 3 of RUE you'll see that there are 3 editors and 3 proofreaders. At least 6 people looking for problems.

True.
But I'm quite sure that if I sat down with the book myself and proof-read it that I'd still find one heck of a lot of mistakes.

But I can live with a few typos and such. The important thing is that Palladium correct the mistakes in later printings. It looks like Alex is trying to compile a good list of things to fix in order to do just that.

How do we know how many mistakes they originally found?
The Phoenix is Coming!
Killer Cyborg
Priest

WorldofRifts wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

True.

How do we know how many mistakes they originally found?

We don't.
We only know how many mistakes they missed.

Sureshot
Champion

Zayin wrote:
Don't worry, you're not the only one who sensed a "missed opportunity" here.

Agreed. Though they do have another opportunity with the upcoming Ultimate Rifts Sourcebook to fix that.

Enlightened Grognard

Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Sureshot wrote:
Zayin wrote:
Don't worry, you're not the only one who sensed a "missed opportunity" here.

Agreed. Though they do have another opportunity with the upcoming Ultimate Rifts Sourcebook to fix that.

They should have just used the HU lift carry for all their settings, it wouldn't be overpowered in Rifts at all. a being with a 60 SN PS would still only be able to lift 15 tons. most of the giant robots and APCs weigh more then that, so it's not like a character is going to be using a CS Enforcer as a thrown weapon or anything.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

On page 203 the spell 'Invisibility: simple' has been updated to include the following text:
Agressive actions (Including combat) will NOT terminate an invisibility spell. (Either simple or superior.)

however, the text of the spell 'Invisibility: Superior.' (page 212) still has the old text stating that aggressive actions terminate the spell.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
60 DaDa points.

Unread post by Guest »

The description of W.P. Heavy Mega-Damage Weapons makes it identical in function to the Weapon Systems skill. It's description should be changed to either reflect it's use only for hand-held bot/power armor weapons, and/or man portable plasma ejectors, rail guns, rocket launchers, missile launchers, etc. (since these are essentially shafted by the current wording of the weapon proficiency).
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Kalinda wrote:On page 203 the spell 'Invisibility: simple' has been updated to include the following text:
Agressive actions (Including combat) will NOT terminate an invisibility spell. (Either simple or superior.)

however, the text of the spell 'Invisibility: Superior.' (page 212) still has the old text stating that aggressive actions terminate the spell.

Scooped! :P

Warwolf wrote:Pg. 212-213, the description of the spell Invisibility Superior states: The magic is broken only if the character makes a hostile move, or engages in combat/attacks. However, this doesn't agree with the note on page 203 under Invisibility Simple: Aggressive action (including combat) will NOT terminate and Invisibility spell (either Simple or Superior). I think this is a case of errata being added and the original description not being fixed. However, a newbie will not be able to accurately discern which is right.

I can't say I blame you though, it was back on like page 9. I probably wouldn't have read that far back either. :)
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Warwolf wrote:
Kalinda wrote:On page 203 the spell 'Invisibility: simple' has been updated to include the following text:

Scooped! :P

Warwolf wrote:Pg. 212-213, the description of the spell Invisibility Superior states: The magic is broken only if the character makes a hostile move, or engages in combat/attacks. However, this doesn't agree with the note on page 203 under Invisibility Simple: Aggressive action (including combat) will NOT terminate and Invisibility spell (either Simple or Superior). I think this is a case of errata being added and the original description not being fixed. However, a newbie will not be able to accurately discern which is right.

I can't say I blame you though, it was back on like page 9. I probably wouldn't have read that far back either. :)

That and I have a cruddy memory... :oops:

I'm glad you caught that one relatively early, it increases the chance that it'll be put in the errata and changed in later printings. :)
60 DaDa points.
vitae_drinker
Wanderer

Unread post by vitae_drinker »

Kittenstomp wrote:The Rogue Scholar is literate in 4 languages including his native tongue, but can only speak 3 languages including his native tongue! The numbers were probably meant to be reversed.

I don't know about that. Maybe one of the literacy picks is supposed be a dead language, or one that you have studied from books but don't have any actual practice speaking, like ancient Egyptian or something similar.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Any word on when we are getting that errata posted of download?
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

RevRifts wrote:
vitae_drinker wrote:
Kittenstomp wrote:The Rogue Scholar is literate in 4 languages including his native tongue, but can only speak 3 languages including his native tongue! The numbers were probably meant to be reversed.

I don't know about that. Maybe one of the literacy picks is supposed be a dead language, or one that you have studied from books but don't have any actual practice speaking, like ancient Egyptian or something similar.

Very true. I am literate in 5 languages but I can only speak 2. Part of this is precisely because I have learned ancient languages. Another thing, is that I can't speak a lick of Spanish, but I can read it fairly well (probably at its base percentage). It just depends on how one has become acquanted with the language.

There are also languages such as Techno-Can that don't even have a spoken form.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Sureshot
Champion

Riftmaker wrote:Any word on when we are getting that errata posted of download?

I second this. Any news on when the errata is being posted? I hope it's before the second printing of the book.

I wanted to ask does the Glitter Boy get the right skill to pilot his suit? According to a friend of mine they do not or it may have been omitted. I maybe wrong because I do not have the book. Can anyone clarify this?

Enlightened Grognard

Gabriel_V

Unread post by Gabriel_V »

Sureshot wrote:I wanted to ask does the Glitter Boy get the right skill to pilot his suit? According to a friend of mine they do not or it may have been omitted. I maybe wrong because I do not have the book. Can anyone clarify this?

No. They do not. They receive Robot Combat Basic, Robot Combat Elite (Glitter Boy), but they do not get Pilot Power Armor as an OCC skill.

They do get a Pilot: one of choice (any) as an OCC skill without any bonus.
Sureshot
Champion

Gabriel_V wrote:
Sureshot wrote:I wanted to ask does the Glitter Boy get the right skill to pilot his suit? According to a friend of mine they do not or it may have been omitted. I maybe wrong because I do not have the book. Can anyone clarify this?

No. They do not. They receive Robot Combat Basic, Robot Combat Elite (Glitter Boy), but they do not get Pilot Power Armor as an OCC skill.

They do get a Pilot: one of choice (any) as an OCC skill without any bonus.

:roll: :frazz: :frust: If it's not the Coalition Samas pilot in the RMB not getting the skill it's the Glitter boy pilot in RUE. I hope the fix this in the second printing. How they managed to miss that in editing is beyond me.

Thanks you for the information though Gabriel V.

Enlightened Grognard

Return to “Rifts®”