Why do you think Rifts Africa is the Worst worldbook?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

Sentinel wrote:Africa doesn't so much need a way to be connected to the rest of the world, it just needs to have more information outside of KevSims' meta-plot in order to be useful to anyone who doesn't want to play his story.
The only info on countries and stuff (beyond the Mind Bleeder and Necromancer) is tied to the meta-plots.
I would have liked a basic map on Madagascar, with some flora and fauna.
I would have liked to seen a devastated Capetown South Africa, or info on the Congo. There was more to this dark continent than the Four Hoursmen and the Empire of the Sun. Remove that and there would have been room for good information.

i didn't mean a literal link with Africa from North America, say rift to Africa. but more players need incentitives to go Africa. The Horseman scenario was such a reason. but once that is done and dusted. there is nothing else.

A GM maybe able to use the Grim Reapers storyline in JU book to do a scenario set in Africa. where the Grim Reapers are trying to summon Death.

Triax/NGR has virtually no world information, yet people use it a lot. so i don't know why Africa book is not used more.

One of the most underused places in the Rifts world, and i think it could have alot of potential is the Splugorth outpost of Gorth in Africa. GM's should be able to run scenarios using this as a background.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

DBX wrote:
Sentinel wrote:Africa doesn't so much need a way to be connected to the rest of the world, it just needs to have more information outside of KevSims' meta-plot in order to be useful to anyone who doesn't want to play his story.
The only info on countries and stuff (beyond the Mind Bleeder and Necromancer) is tied to the meta-plots.
I would have liked a basic map on Madagascar, with some flora and fauna.
I would have liked to seen a devastated Capetown South Africa, or info on the Congo. There was more to this dark continent than the Four Hoursmen and the Empire of the Sun. Remove that and there would have been room for good information.

i didn't mean a literal link with Africa from North America, say rift to Africa. but more players need incentitives to go Africa. The Horseman scenario was such a reason. but once that is done and dusted. there is nothing else.

I didn't think you meant a literal link, and neither did I.
I was more referring to text passages that make Africa part of any on-going meta-plots. Victor Lazlo would be an obvious link in this regard, for example.

A GM maybe able to use the Grim Reapers storyline in JU book to do a scenario set in Africa. where the Grim Reapers are trying to summon Death.

Triax/NGR has virtually no world information, yet people use it a lot. so i don't know why Africa book is not used more.

I used it mostly for the Gargoyles, robots and weapons, and the little bit of useable history about the NGR when I needed it.
I found the Gypsies interesting, although I didn't think new OCCs needed to be done for them.

One of the most underused places in the Rifts world, and i think it could have alot of potential is the Splugorth outpost of Gorth in Africa. GM's should be able to run scenarios using this as a background.

All GMs really need is detailed information how to set up a Spluglorth outpost (construction and organization material), then they could put it where ever they want. Atlantis would be the book to use for this, basing a Sluglorth garrison off of existing military garrisons.
What they don't need is a ready made outpost with five pages of history and metaplot, and ready made NPCs.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Mech-Viper wrote:Not bad Blue Eyes
But I doubt they planned the book as a lets not go over too much so that GMs can actually come up with something themselves. That would be so unlike any of their other books.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Blue Eyes
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Blue Eyes »

Zero Kay wrote:

[quote]But I doubt they planned the book as a lets not go over too much so that GMs can actually come up with something themselves. That would be so unlike any of their other books.

well i cant say i agree with u on this one, unless ur being ironic, u see way back when rifts started and all we had was the rulesbook and maybe sourcebook one this was exactly how things were. the gm had very little information to work with and had to use his or her imagination

today noth armerica alone has like 10 world books or more describing it in great detail - in my opinion its way too much information and leaves little for the gm who likes to create his own stuff from scratch. Also u have like an alien intelligence in every other state, the CS, federation of magic psyscape and yatta yatta yatta

in my opinion i like africa because its a place where i can do whatever i like.

additional things u can use to create scenarios in africa
1. the trade realationship between the phoenix empire and the gargoyle empire in europe - sabotage missions, guerilla warfare, stealing weapon supplies etc
2. vampires, i am not a big fan of intelligences everywhere but u can actually use vampires without having to introduce an intelligence. simply have a necromancer use the spell where he invests HP/SDC in a spell (its a rather high level necromancy spell but i cannot remember the name and i dont have my books), so when he is killed he returns as a vampire. africa has areas at least as favorable to vampires as mexico!
3. the spider is considered a creature of great wisdom in africa, this should give the evil spider demon some interesting options in fooling native africans - i myself has created such a tribe most foul
4. theres also the conflict between Rama-Set and his old friend the chiang ku dragon, also many adventures possible with the NPC Abkii the Defiant!
5. simpler adventures, locate water, tribes stealing cattle, trade of services, tribes and their history, culture, tests of manhood and becoming honorary, members of a tribe, agriculure, insect plagues etc

hope u can use some of the ideas

c ya

Return to “Rifts®”