How to make a Dragon really look like a Jerk

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

UR Leader Hobbes
Adventurer

How to make a Dragon really look like a Jerk

Unread post by UR Leader Hobbes »

OK this was just too funny.. Gotta share..

This weekend the Dragon Hatchling (Almost fully grown) Grabs a psychic and threatens to eat him. The psychic uses mentally possess others on the dragon..

PLayer fails his saving throw..

Suddenly the dragon carefully and calmly sets teh psychic down. Looks over to the mage and winks. After a moment of quick discussion the mage casts carpet of adhesion on the dragons hand/claw.

The player then opens the dragons maw as wide as possable and stick out the tounge as far as possable. Then attempts to swallow the claw/hand and thus sticking the hand to the throat and tongue.

The psychic then releases the dragon who is by this time gagging and unable to remove his hand.

So anyone else ever humiliate a dragon or other supernatural creature?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: How to make a Dragon really look like a Jerk

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

UR Leader Hobbes wrote:So anyone else ever humiliate a dragon or other supernatural creature?

In Rifts once I was playing a character who had special power armor that had an extraordinary power punch (1d4x10 MD).
I forget why, but the party dragon was smarting off to me one time and I said, "I power-punch him in the jaw. KO on natural 20 from by boxing skill."

And rolled a natural 20.
Knocked that dragon flat out.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

Not so much a supernatural creature, but I had a player humilate an entire CS army. He was a powerful psionic, and mentaly possessed a SAMAS pilot. Now the player also was a skilled pilot, and he also had a very large knowlage of mechanical things, and set the SAM's power plant into over load, and basicly turned mister SAMAS into a flying nuke, doging shots until the reactor turned critical. Though he wasn't able to leave the body and spent a long while in a coma, he blew a hole the army and forced to flee (due to the large amounts of radiation in addition to lossess).

Cinos
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
sinestus
Adventurer

Unread post by sinestus »

i once ended a campeign when playing a Horned Dragon Hatchling (still investigating the world)

the group was stainding on a massive floating island outside a cave when the GM says "you smell something like gas coming from the cave..."
to which the dragon responded with "I breathe fire down it..."

kaboom...

freaky island held aloft by flamible gas detonates, taking party with it....
I believe Socrates said it best at, "I drank what?"

"JESUS SAVES! The rest of you take full damage."

They call me Hadoken 'cause I'm down-right fierce.
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Cinos wrote:Not so much a supernatural creature, but I had a player humilate an entire CS army. He was a powerful psionic, and mentaly possessed a SAMAS pilot. Now the player also was a skilled pilot, and he also had a very large knowlage of mechanical things, and set the SAM's power plant into over load, and basicly turned mister SAMAS into a flying nuke, doging shots until the reactor turned critical. Though he wasn't able to leave the body and spent a long while in a coma, he blew a hole the army and forced to flee (due to the large amounts of radiation in addition to lossess).

Cinos

1) I don't believe Mentally control others works on someone in a Samas.

2) There is no precedence that you can turn a samas into a flying nuke. There is nothing that says you can make a reactor turn critical from inside the suit without tampering with it from the outside.

3) Radiation wouldn't affect the army in EBA.

4) CS army doesn't travel like roman soldiers, in collums and rows.

5) I don't understand why he was in a coma.

As GM, there's no way this would ever happen, because you basically gave the players nuke capabilities, at the cost of PA. And there is nothing to really keep this pychic from doing it over and over and over again.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, the question I have is what happened once the Carpet of Adhesion wore off and/or the Psychic ran out of ISP?

-Vek
"If I'm running the game, a dead psychic and mage."
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

The problem with the CoA I have, is that most dragons have the strength to pull away from one easily.

As for the turning of a reactor into a nuke...not possible. The most you could do is cause a melt-down.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Dark Brandon wrote:
Cinos wrote:Not so much a supernatural creature, but I had a player humilate an entire CS army. He was a powerful psionic, and mentaly possessed a SAMAS pilot. Now the player also was a skilled pilot, and he also had a very large knowlage of mechanical things, and set the SAM's power plant into over load, and basicly turned mister SAMAS into a flying nuke, doging shots until the reactor turned critical. Though he wasn't able to leave the body and spent a long while in a coma, he blew a hole the army and forced to flee (due to the large amounts of radiation in addition to lossess).

Cinos

2) There is no precedence that you can turn a samas into a flying nuke. There is nothing that says you can make a reactor turn critical from inside the suit without tampering with it from the outside.

3) Radiation wouldn't affect the army in EBA.

4) CS army doesn't travel like roman soldiers, in collums and rows.

5) I don't understand why he was in a coma.

As GM, there's no way this would ever happen, because you basically gave the players nuke capabilities, at the cost of PA. And there is nothing to really keep this pychic from doing it over and over and over again.

Thank you.
I didn't feel like pointing all that out myself.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

UR Leader Hobbes
Adventurer

Unread post by UR Leader Hobbes »

Borast wrote:The problem with the CoA I have, is that most dragons have the strength to pull away from one easily.

As for the turning of a reactor into a nuke...not possible. The most you could do is cause a melt-down.

COA doesn't have a strength requriement to break free.. Your either stuck or suck for less ammount of time..

I suppose the dragon could have pulled his hand out but in doing so he would have ripped out his own tounge and throat
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

in another system i "convinced" a dragon it was aerodynamically unsound and therefore incapable of flight.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Faydor

Unread post by Faydor »

I was playing a char. for reasons to remain unmentioned (curiosity killed the cat or in this case mutated) had 6 arms.. Well I didnt humiliate the dragon so much as crush the head to a point of leaving no bone left ... So still realy great .... but recon you had to be there lol.....
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

Reply to Dark Brandon

1: I suppose I did not clarify, he possessed the pilot prior to the fight, and thus, before he was in the SAMAS suit (bluffing his way passed commanders and such).

2: For the SAMAS into a Nuke, the books don't even touch the subject on how SAMAS work, wether or not it's possable. As stated in #1, I did not clarify well enough, and he had time to work on the outside to prep for it.

3: Sure radiation would not effect the soldiers in EBA armor (i.e all CS body armor, power armor, robots and vehcials), but you're crazy or don't understand how large battles work if you think it's possable to go though a week long seige and have your troops remain in armor 24/7, you think they have bathrooms in those things??

4: I never said the CS walked in collums and rows, but a nuke is a fairly large thing, and covered about half the battle field (didn't do too much damage to the other defenders as they where still fairly far out), but they do travel in groups and squads, which is enough.

5: He was in a coma because he experanced death first hand, which is a fairly desturbing thing to do (I also belive that it claims such in the book under the power's discription).

And for your closing statment, the game it happened in was made to be overpowered (group was a Mind Bleeder, Lizard Mage, a Demi-God and a Godling), though the tasks they do where equaly hard (i.e fighting other gods and groups of dragons). To prevent it being over used, he suffered permeant M.E loss (1D4 I think, he rolled a 2), from the experance of death (a rule made on the fly).

Cinos
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
dark brandon
Knight

Cinos wrote:Reply to Dark Brandon

1: I suppose I did not clarify, he possessed the pilot prior to the fight, and thus, before he was in the SAMAS suit (bluffing his way passed commanders and such).

Were there no psi-stalkers, dog boys...ect...? Was he traveling alone, had a group?

2: For the SAMAS into a Nuke, the books don't even touch the subject on how SAMAS work, wether or not it's possable. As stated in #1, I did not clarify well enough, and he had time to work on the outside to prep for it.

There is still no presidence that you can do it even from the outside, or even that it can be done at all. Or that if you do do it, that the samas would even work at all.

3: Sure radiation would not effect the soldiers in EBA armor (i.e all CS body armor, power armor, robots and vehcials), but you're crazy or don't understand how large battles work if you think it's possable to go though a week long seige and have your troops remain in armor 24/7, you think they have bathrooms in those things??

If they have time to retreat, they have time to put on armor and move somewhere else.

4: I never said the CS walked in collums and rows, but a nuke is a fairly large thing, and covered about half the battle field (didn't do too much damage to the other defenders as they where still fairly far out), but they do travel in groups and squads, which is enough.

Once again, there is no proof that there is enough material in a samas to create an explotion equal to a nuke in size. Even then, what's to keep the lizard mage from using this same tactic, except the lizard mage just hangs out. He has 1D6x100 + 400 MDC. A typical nuke does 1D4x100 MDC.

5: He was in a coma because he experanced death first hand, which is a fairly desturbing thing to do (I also belive that it claims such in the book under the power's discription).

No, it does not. In fact, there is no reason for it at all, if they could create it to go 'critical' and plan it out enough so they can get it into the CS base, there's no reason why he wouldn't wait till the last second and just go back into his body. Also, I'm not into physics and all, but, wouldn't causing the nuke power in the samas go to critical, simply make it melt down into slag? I know you can create Nukes with nuke material, but since I only know how fat man and little boy worked, I don't see how they could do with with a samas PA.

And for your closing statment, the game it happened in was made to be overpowered (group was a Mind Bleeder, Lizard Mage, a Demi-God and a Godling), though the tasks they do where equaly hard (i.e fighting other gods and groups of dragons). To prevent it being over used, he suffered permeant M.E loss (1D4 I think, he rolled a 2), from the experance of death (a rule made on the fly).

Cinos

I'm sure this was a great game, but in no way does it 'humiliate the CS army'. Its sounds more like poor GMing in the part of the CS army and it opens the door for Player abuse on a fairly large scale.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Clarifying the nuke thing, the critics are correct. You can't "overload" a nuclear reactor and go Hiroshima on someone. And, just as a finer point (though the average gamer probably doesn't know this), if it's a fusion reactor (which I think it is) there is no way to cause an explosion anyway. Nukes use fission in a very complex device to trigger the explosion. In the case of a power plant (Chernobyl, for example) like is in SAMAS, even if it was a fission reactor it would just melt down and flood the area with radiation.

At the very least, the GM should have said "a safety feature engages and shuts down the reactor." That's just common sense.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Giddoen
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: I have faith! My character sheet says so!!!

dude it'sa game! Relax!!!

Unread post by Giddoen »

Dark Brandon wrote:
Cinos wrote:Reply to Dark Brandon

Were there no psi-stalkers, dog boys...ect...? Was he traveling alone, had a group?

There is still no presidence that you can do it even from the outside, or even that it can be done at all. Or that if you do do it, that the samas would even work at all.

If they have time to retreat, they have time to put on armor and move somewhere else.

Once again, there is no proof that there is enough material in a samas to create an explotion equal to a nuke in size. Even then, what's to keep the lizard mage from using this same tactic, except the lizard mage just hangs out. He has 1D6x100 + 400 MDC. A typical nuke does 1D4x100 MDC.

No, it does not. In fact, there is no reason for it at all, if they could create it to go 'critical' and plan it out enough so they can get it into the CS base, there's no reason why he wouldn't wait till the last second and just go back into his body. Also, I'm not into physics and all, but, wouldn't causing the nuke power in the samas go to critical, simply make it melt down into slag? I know you can create Nukes with nuke material, but since I only know how fat man and little boy worked, I don't see how they could do with with a samas PA.

Cinos

I'm sure this was a great game, but in no way does it 'humiliate the CS army'. Its sounds more like poor GMing in the part of the CS army and it opens the door for Player abuse on a fairly large scale.

Dude the point of the thread was how "you" humiliated..etc.

If he had fun and the GM allowed it who are we to say it was wrong! Not picking on you but relax man he had good time and had a funny story to tell.

Giddoen
I have faith!....My character sheet says so!!!
dark brandon
Knight

Re: dude it'sa game! Relax!!!

Giddoen wrote:Dude the point of the thread was how "you" humiliated..etc.

If he had fun and the GM allowed it who are we to say it was wrong! Not picking on you but relax man he had good time and had a funny story to tell.

Giddoen

I was thinking about that while writing my responce, but in truth I just have a pet peeve about GM's who play CS like idiots. And I'm glad he had a good time and has a cute story to tell. I just fail to see how he humilated the CS.

I would actually say he and his group probably humiliated the GM rather than the CS in this instance.

I mean, it's not like i'm banning him from playing palladium games or saying he's failed rifts, now baby jesus is going to cry or anything.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Besides, using canon sources, the SAMAS reactor as a nuke would only have an blast effect area of about 2-3 metres. :D

After all, a nuclear missile only has a blast radius a few times larger... ;)
Fnord

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Panzer wrote:
Jason Richards wrote:if it's a fusion reactor (which I think it is) there is no way to cause an explosion anyway.

so nice of you to tell us exactly how something that DOESN'T EXIST IN REAL LIFE works... :x

back up your argument, before I invalidate it with equally nonsensical things, like "that's not right cause the sky is blue" or "yeah, well, I don't crap out fresh dandelions, so that won't work, unless it's tuesday..."

oh wait, you can't, because there ARE NO REAL WORKING FUSION REACTORS, let alone ones small enough to fit in something roughly man-sized!

until you produce a real working fusion reactor for us to look at or an official palladium policy on the physics of their made up fusion reactors, kindly sod off instead of telling us how these undefined imaginary things work.

and what in the gay blue monkey hell is all this talk about nuclear reactors doing in the PALLADIUM FANTASY forum anyway?

Because the starting question was not PFRPG specific, although it was inspired by an adventure in PFRPG.

As for nuclear reactors, the offifical rules state that when they are breached or damaged (the type used in Rifts, anyway) that they do NOT explode, just leak radiation.

Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Dark Brandon wrote:

Explain why it wouldn't.
Last time I checked SAMAS hadn't been out fitted with Anti-Psy technology of any sort.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Panzer wrote:
Jason Richards wrote:if it's a fusion reactor (which I think it is) there is no way to cause an explosion anyway.

so nice of you to tell us exactly how something that DOESN'T EXIST IN REAL LIFE works...

You are welcome.
The theory of HOW fusion reactors work is well known.
And it also clearly states this in the rules, so blame KS, NOT Jason.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
dark brandon
Knight

Sir_Spirit wrote:
Dark Brandon wrote:

Explain why it wouldn't.
Last time I checked SAMAS hadn't been out fitted with Anti-Psy technology of any sort.

Because it says so?

pg 366 RUE. "Nor can it (Psionics that affect the mind) affect someone in a sealed, enviornmental MDC vehicle, like a tank, apc, giant robot or heavy power armor (250 or more for the main body)".

Old style samas has 250 MDC.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Stop it with all this RIFTS talk...go argue in the rifts forum if you want to keep going. As far as this foum is concered you need to be talking about you PF games not blech Rifts.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

In any case, as much as I am enjoying erading all the techie bits, how about we return to the orginal question...

Y'know, about how you're totally embarrassed/humiliated ubers with non-ubers just 'cause of the way things happened to turn out!? ;)

Anyway...almost time to hit the advanced polls...

Heaven help us if the Conservitives roll in on the 23rd...
Fnord

Narsis
Explorer

Unread post by Narsis »

drewkitty wrote:Stop it with all this RIFTS talk...go argue in the rifts forum if you want to keep going. As far as this foum is concered you need to be talking about you PF games not blech Rifts.

I agree with drew on this. Talk about nuclear or fusion reactors has no place on a PF board. I know this is a thread for ways you beat some uber powerful person with a weakling and all. but, leave the debates of what would really happen if you turned a giant robot into a bomb for the Rifts board.
Grimtooth is in charge of Dungeon construction in my games. Proceed with caution!

Link to The Rider RCC I created
viewtopic.php?t=83158
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Actually...

A dragon is Areodynamically Unsound...and yet it flies anyway.

Just like the humble bumble bee, which, according to physics, can't fly, yet it does!
Fnord

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Borast wrote:Actually...

Just like the humble bumble bee, which, according to physics, can't fly, yet it does!

well the GM was unable to keep up with my debate skills and lost the argument...plus it didnt hurt that my mage had a higher inteligence than the dragon....
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
dark brandon
Knight

Damian Magecraft wrote:

well the GM was unable to keep up with my debate skills and lost the argument...plus it didnt hurt that my mage had a higher inteligence than the dragon....

So, you didn't use psionics to 'trick' the dragon?
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Dark Brandon wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

So, you didn't use psionics to 'trick' the dragon?

non-psi char in the "other game", and i was pretty much the most inventive player in the group...the concept of debating the dragon powerless just struck me and i figured i might as well try it...
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Borast wrote:Just like the humble bumble bee, which, according to physics, can't fly, yet it does!

Not true.
The Immortal ME
Explorer

Unread post by The Immortal ME »

Sir_Spirit wrote:
Borast wrote:Just like the humble bumble bee, which, according to physics, can't fly, yet it does!

Not true.

They obviously don't use the same principles of aerodynamics that make birds and airplanes go vroom. Last time I check, though, there was no widely accepted theory of how they manage it. So ... sort of true.
- The Immortal ME

Sic itur ad astra.
"There are some who call me ... TIM?
(All factual statements based on personal recollection only unless otherwise attributed. May not actually be factual.)
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

The Immortal ME wrote:
Sir_Spirit wrote:

Not true.

They obviously don't use the same principles of aerodynamics that make birds and airplanes go vroom. Last time I check, though, there was no widely accepted theory of how they manage it. So ... sort of true.

If you will look at the link in the post above mine you will see that you are incorrect.
Bees create swirls/vortices in the air.
The Immortal ME
Explorer

Okay, well, the link in the slashdot article is broken. You will note that I said "last time I checked" and "widely accepted theory," not "we have no idea." The last time I herd anything about it, that theory wasn't widely accepted yet.
- The Immortal ME

Sic itur ad astra.
(All factual statements based on personal recollection only unless otherwise attributed. May not actually be factual.)
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Sir_Spirit wrote:

Not true.

Which part?

The fact that it flies, or the fact that by the laws of physics it can't? :lol:
Fnord

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Borast wrote:
Sir_Spirit wrote:

Not true.

Which part?

The fact that it flies, or the fact that by the laws of physics it can't? :lol:
the latter it has now been proven that the bumble bee does indeed follow the laws of physics....the dragon however does not use the same flight principles....which was the basis of the argument way back when i used it in a game...

besides we are straying from the topic at hand...how do you make a dragon look like a jerk? i answered how i did it....i convinced one it was incapable of flight...(didnt hurt the DM of that game had a house rule that magic required belief....)...since the dragon now believes he cannot fly...the dragon cannot fly...

everyone including the DM thought it was the most unique (and down right hilarious) approach they had ever seen to combating a dragon that the grounded dragon became a recuring villian in the games(the dragon kept getting into battles of wits and losing)...at one point i even said given half a chance i thought i could convince it it couldnt breathe fire...(never tried it though).
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Panzer wrote:

so nice of you to tell us exactly how something that DOESN'T EXIST IN REAL LIFE works... :x

Sure they do...

They are called stars. :D
Fnord

The Immortal ME
Explorer

... a Two Up and Two Down ...

?
- The Immortal ME

Sic itur ad astra.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”