What's the point?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hannibal
Explorer

Re: What's the point?

Unread post by Hannibal »

I have a very experienced gaming group, although they sometimes seem to play at 16-year-old rookies, in the same vein as KC's argument of how players often play in ways more reflective of low level/inexperienced characters. None of them (myself included when I play rather than GM) want to start at level one... with all the time and effort invested in current characters (started level one, now up to level 9 or 10), no one is particularly interested in starting all over. And even though they may not always play "up to their characters' experience level," that's a lot less important to me as a GM than them having a good time and me not making them play new characters/campaigns in which they're reluctantly starting anew. There's a real sense of accomplishment getting a character leveled up... I think it's natural to want to play him/her out at the high level and experience the hard-earned benefits.

Further, on a practical note, I can think of many real life examples of "experienced" people doing just absolutely dumb stuff, so it's not that much of a stretch to imagine their characters acting sometimes immaturely. Happens in real life all the time!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: What's the point?

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Hannibal wrote:Further, on a practical note, I can think of many real life examples of "experienced" people doing just absolutely dumb stuff, so it's not that much of a stretch to imagine their characters acting sometimes immaturely. Happens in real life all the time!

I remember reading an article about a professional skydiver who was making a "how-to" video, but who loaded himself down with so much camera equipment that he forgot his chute.

So, yeah... it can happen.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Return to “Rifts®”