EBSIS.... still around?

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Re: EBSIS.... still around?

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

Ever notice that in the 1st edition books that the EBSIS is without fail Led by the Soviets????. The Soviets alone would be able to resist being gobled up by the UEG because they are still very much a Nuclear power. at least they were when the 1e books were written.
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

Seto Kaiba wrote:When was it ever in doubt? As a point of reference, the UEG wasn't inaugurated until 2005 in Robotech, so the United Nations hadn't yet been dissolved/disbanded and replaced with the United Earth Government. I'd hesitate to call it a continuation of the UN, as it's a rather dramatically different organization. It would, however, appear that the UEG was the result of a similar arrangement to the Unity Government in the original Macross (which was probably intentional, as it saves Tommy a lot of time), in that its organization was the end result of a plan framed by the United Nations and took over governance after the UN's dissolution.

Obviously, the "UN Spacy" markings on the mecha of the Macross Saga are simply a slight plot hole that Robotech just has to live with...

I tend to agree.

In the TV show, Rick (I believe) actually exclaims at one point "The UN failed, just like the League of Nations before it!", indicating that the UN was long gone by that point.
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
ESalter
Adventurer

Unread post by ESalter »

dataweaver wrote:...Mars Base was wiped out by a Zentreadi advance scout in 2003. The Invasion comic has the details.

I was writing from a "Purist" standpoint.

Comrade Corsarius wrote:In the TV show, Rick (I believe) actually exclaims at one point "The UN failed, just like the League of Nations before it!", indicating that the UN was long gone by that point.

It was someone else; Rick was arguing for Earthlings' peaceful nature.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

ESalter wrote:Earth's forces are often called the "United Earth Forces" or something similar; AFAIK, "United Nations Forces" is never used. This suggests to me the single use of "U.N. SPACY" should be ignored.

Oh, I concur wholeheartedly... especially since the book never uses "United Nations" in the context of "UN Spacy". It's simply a legacy of the OSM that somehow escaped the tracing artists working on the book. Even with Tommy looking over Palladium's shoulder, there's no shortage of internal inconsistencies (like the above). Heck, I can point to a few things the book has that aren't even from Robotech... like the cockpit art from page 56, or the "Multiple Launch Ordinance Pod" described on pages 68-69.

ESalter wrote:I was writing from a "Purist" standpoint.

The so-called "purist" standpoint, which these days is essentially synonymous with Tommy's official new canon position, would include the new comics.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I think that in the new RPG we don't have to nerf the EBSIS quite so much. Definitely they would have different systems, but there seems little to indicate independents are necessarily technologically inferior by a fair margin.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Variable MiG-21 might look like this.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Jefffar wrote:Variable MiG-21 might look like this.

nah... like this: fighter, mecha
(from C&C:RA3)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

There was a Harrier VF variant at one point IIRC.

SRoss
Knight

Unread post by SRoss »

I can see the EBSIS in the Macross period, but by the Southern Cross era, I can't help but think Leonard would have found some excuse to have the ASC take-over. He doesn't strike me as the sort to tolerate the existence of a competing world power.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

The new books indicate the UEG managed to make peace with those powers the ASC didn't defeat. Which column an EBSIS like entity would fall into is debatable, but at least the possibility of survival is there.

Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Unread post by Beatmeclever »

Jefffar wrote:There was a Harrier VF variant at one point IIRC.

What about this.
"The impossibility of the world lies in the fact that it has no equivalent anywhere;it cannot be exchanged for anything. The uncertainty of thought lies in the fact that it cannot be exchanged either for truth or for reality. Is it thought which tips the world over into uncertainty, or the other way around? This in itself is part of the uncertainty." - J. Baudrillard

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”