Paper armor...

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Re: Paper armor...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Uh...define "stop" sword thrusts.

Even plate armor is only so good at stopping a really determined sword thrust. Paper armor was pretty good at stopping slicing attacks, arrows (not sure on its resistance to something like a bodkin point arrow) and some resistance to blunt force attacks. I am not saying it would provide no protection, but it wasn't phone books they wore, if memory serves it was roughly half an inch woven "scales" of multilayer mulberry paper. It certainly provided halfway decent protection, but it wasn't, generally, up the standards of really good chain mail or plate armor.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

azazel1024 wrote:Uh...define "stop" sword thrusts.

Even plate armor is only so good at stopping a really determined sword thrust. Paper armor was pretty good at stopping slicing attacks, arrows (not sure on its resistance to something like a bodkin point arrow) and some resistance to blunt force attacks. I am not saying it would provide no protection, but it wasn't phone books they wore, if memory serves it was roughly half an inch woven "scales" of multilayer mulberry paper. It certainly provided halfway decent protection, but it wasn't, generally, up the standards of really good chain mail or plate armor.

no they wernt up to plate standards...
But then no armor can stop a "determined" thrust.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
azazel1024 wrote:Uh...define "stop" sword thrusts.

no they wernt up to plate standards...
But then no armor can stop a "determined" thrust.

Define armor?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/08/USS_New_Jersey_armor_citadel.jpg/800px-USS_New_Jersey_armor_citadel.jpg

Cause I am thinking that just might stop a determined sword thrust :D
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

They will stop arrows form getting through to the wearer. That's a fact.

But are far from being fire retardant. So, by using arrow with the shaft right behind the head wrapped in torch wrapping material, maybe dipped in torch oil and set on fire will cause it to go poof...actually, I will have to do a test on the wax treated one. But it's fairly easy to do.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

13eowulf wrote:a conservative estimate, for a chestplate only, you are looking at about 600 (assuming 15 sheets thick, and 40 'sections') distinct pieces of parchment paper that need to be marked and energized.

Does anyone know where it says you have to energize silver runes to make indestructible parchment (paper?) because I thought that only applied to Wards.

Page 118 of PF2nd says "any runes will radiate with weak magic energy, although no expenditure of PPE is necessary to create/write them."

So I thought PPE/energizing was only needed when runes were used in groups to make Ward sequences... meaning that that would have no time/energy limits for indestructible pages and would only be limited by the rate they can create parchment (paper?) and however much silver is needed to make the letter.

The cost of silver COULD add up, I don't recall if the book ever clarifies the cost of silver here. The cost of components really should be fleshed out better, especially since Diabolists may not always be able to recover and reuse them.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

No resurrecting paper armor- please.... this parchment just does not die....
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Straight up paper armor, like they did on Mythbusters? I think the standard would be to give it a decent (10-13ish) AR and a **** SDC... it will protect you from a couple shots, then it's tatters.

For the holy grail of "indestructible parchment" armor, I can think of a couple ways to use parchment to supplement existing armors, which would be far more effective than attempting to make armor entirely out of parchment.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

For me the paper would have to be in paper form and made indestructible before being made into armour. So no pre moulding it.
it would then have sdc because of the glue or bindings used to hold it together.
It would have low AR because it isn't rigid enough, and the blows would make the bindings separate. Glues of today don't deal well in flexing environments.
So AR 10-14, SDC would depend on what was used to bind it, maybe 30 for glue, 50 for bindings (but bindings would have a lower AR as more movement is allowed) and maybe 60 for both, but anything that compromises glue or the bindings (like getting wet) would halve the sdc.
But have had strips made into sort of emergency rope, and also had it layered between door planks with premade bolt holes to increase damage resistance.
and I do allow it to be used as a extra cover for shields so they don't need to be replaced as often.

Palladium Fantasy does have and NPC with a set of AR: 15 Indestructible Armour (a giant in mount nimro wears it)

but why bother, got a spare 250k gold, get a natural ironhide ring that gives you a natural AR of 16 (western empire alchemist)
so there is precedence for indestructible armour.
Just like there are armour ignoring weapons.
And an unbind/unglue type spell would be rather funny against someone in paper armour.

The other thing is that the silver runes on paper is only common knowledge to diabolists, if you're not a diabolist how did you find out about it.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

kiralon wrote:got a spare 250k gold, get a natural ironhide ring that gives you a natural AR of 16 (western empire alchemist)
My... I think many deities may even be interested in this.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Water only makes it stronger!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”